Random Image

beverly lake

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Shirley, love seeing your pet catfish! Your trug looks like mine! You did a good job on protecting your tomato plant.  Thank you for sharing and Bubble ,thank you for posting.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

I'm amazed that it looks like Aviv is about as tall as his mother at 9!!! Do my eyes deceive me? He is sure handsome. Now THAT is a party & do love the school requiring invite all, saves those tender feelings that can change a child's life. Belated Happy Birthday... and bet that trampoline will get a work out daily until he is a pro on it. Illy is a wonderful mother and bet she is just passing along the way she was raised. Life can be a joy when mothers know how to love.

Thank you for posting my photos... and sharing the birthday party for Aviv. I do miss not being around my greats during this pandemic, but I don't dare take the shot.

I didn't notice that the violets showed in the photo of the trug... they cover that part of the yard & have even moved to the front this spring. I'm guessing they don't make a good ground cover when done blooming, but will wait & see.

Lloyd, those catfish are huge but the river stays contaminated & the Fish & Game magazine said a few years ago, that should only eat 4 oz in a week or month or something. I haven't checked it out because I wouldn't want the mess of cleaning, etc. I just feed anything that eats around here! I think Truman Lake & Lake of Ozarks are safe to eat from.

Mary Page, I still am impressed with your big group every time I scroll past. Looks like they were all enjoying your party as much as you! Makes all that worrying we did when they were growing up worth while, doesn't it?

Hahaha, I went back to look at the photos again and notice that Illy is standing on the ground & Aviv a step higher! I was feeling bad that my great doesn't measure up & is about a year older. I worry that "they" keep these kids too busy playing so many different sports. Soccer tournaments are overlapping the baseball season & with 3 kids they are on the go all the time. The girls are in as many sports as the boys & the whole family stays too thin with all the activities.

patricia19

Shirley, thanks for the photos today, and Bubble, thanks for posting them! I love the wildflowers, especially with our wintery spring!

MaryPage

Thank you for the compliments on my family.  There were 8 children (4 step with 2 spouses and 4 birth with 3 spouses) and 13 granddaughters (7 step with 4 spouses and 6 birth with 5 spouses) and 24 great grandchildren (12 step with 1 sweetheart and 12 birth with 1 sweetheart) and 1 stepgranddaughter's step daughter and one stepdaughter's sister-in-law.  One of the sweethearts took this photo.  Actually, I think of all of them as my own.  Two of the step great grandchildren had planned to be there, but their jobs got seriously in the way.  They were devastated, because the best thing when we have these clan gatherings is seeing everyone at once; I do not kid myself that I am the attraction.

It has been a gorgeous day here on the bay, but the local paper is full of the dead spots out there getting ever bigger.  A dead spot in the water is a place where the fish and shellfish can no longer live because the oxygen has been depleted.  The oysters are disappearing, and a lot of folks, including youngsters, volunteer to reseed the bay with their spats.  In the meanwhile, the huge fleets who made their livelihoods on crabs and oysters and rockfish are no more.

MarsGal

Shirley, I see you have some Asian day lilies. Lovely little orchidish looking flowers, but they get oh so leggy and spread rather quickly. I don't know what the flowers in the second pix are, but I have seen them before.

Bubble, it looks like Aviv had a great B-Day.

so_P_bubble

For MaryPage

These are my 8 children: They are Pam, Becky, Rob, Elizabeth, Chip, Anne, Debi & Chris.

MaryPage 8 kids.jpg

Lloyd Hammond

so_P_bubble I need some help, I clicked on your Link and Only get six and a part of seventh one and none Of the eight one, in the picture. Thanks

Lloyd

Amy

Lloyd, there is a bar at the bottom of the photo click on that and slide it to the right.

Mary Page ,nice looking family you have. Bet you have a lot of fun when you all get together.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page...
...what a lovely family photo of all your children in the group together...
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Oh my!  You were busy when they were growing up!  But what a reward you have now!  They are all beautiful!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

MaryPage

Hi Jane! Four are step children, but I have known them all of their lives.  Well, Robby & Betsy were 4 & 6 when they moved next door. Chris & Pam were born while we all lived next to one another.  Their mother was one of my lifetime dear friends.  After my husband died in 1997 and Sue died in 2001, Bob & I married, to the great delight of both sets of kids, who had played together as children.  This photo was the same day as the all family photo: June 22, 2019 for the purpose of celebrating my 90th, which took place the previous month.  They came from all over.  Everyone thinks they look like one family, and people swear Pam & Becky have to be sisters.

patricia19

MaryPage, it's so nice to put names and faces together to go with those I've heard about! What a lovely family you have!

FlaJean

MaryPage

Thank you, Patricia; you always say such nice things.  By age, they are Rob, Elizabeth, Anne, Becky, Chris, Debi, Pam & Chip. Robby is a retired lawyer and CPA, and he travels the world.  He has had to cancel a number of planned trips due to Covid.  His next one is to be Iceland in July.  Hope it works out for him.  He takes what I call adventure tours.  That is, he does things more than just looks at stuff.  He has climbed up to Base Camp on Everest and done Kilimanjaro to the top and a few others. I hugely enjoy his itineraries vicariously. I have a corner of this apartment dedicated to just photos of him in famous spots.  Betsy is a great artist. Anne is a nurse. Rebecca has retired from teaching Elementary School. Chris is retired navy and will soon retire from his 2nd career as CFO for a firm in Virginia. Debi is a very recently retired High School French teacher.  She also taught Spanish and Latin. Pam is a veterinarian and Chip is a retired book seller who takes care of his mother.

patricia19

It says a lot for all the parents and all the children for how their lives are and have turned out! Would that we had more children feeling safe to dream and accomplish those dreams!

so_P_bubble

for MaryPage

The Grandchildren.JPG

My 13 granddaughters.

Folk have a hard time believing I have 13 granddaughters and NO grandsons, but it is true.  By the way, having been taken on the same day as the huge full-clan photo, folks can look for the 8 children in the clan picture: they are all there.  So are the 13 granddaughters all there.

Here they are, back row: Kathryn, Deborah, Joanna, Helaine, Angela, Christy, Melissa, Tracy, Paige, and Judith.  Those in the little group in front are: Jenny, Maria & Kim.  I adore them all.  Each one has a special relationship with me for a different reason.  Each one is an amazing woman with incredible accomplishments.

I'm prejudiced, yes!

Amy

MaryPage, beautiful grandchildren! Prejudiced, no.........just one PROUD grandmother. 
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Actually, MARY-PAGE, you're pretty normal for a mother/grandmother!  You have a special family!

patricia19

I agree with Amy and Jane! You have a beautiful, loving  family MaryPage!

MaryPage

Awww! Thank you each to pieces. People wonder how it is they all look so much alike, and recently Ancestry let me in on something that sort of kind of solved THAT! No, not secret parenting given away by DNA, as we have been reading so many instances of lately.  DNA info expanded, I call it.  Bob's heritage was rather simpler than my own: he appears to have been half English and half Norwegian.  Both came to America and settled in Minnesota and along came Bob; the greatest combination EVer! 

For my part, it is a bit more complicated.  For one thing, my ancestors came over a couple of centuries earlier, and it takes a LOT more states to show where they were to be found.  Also, on my mother's mother's side, where they are mostly pre-Revolutionary Irish who settled in waaaaay upstate New York, near the Canadian Border, there was a French Canadian who married a Mohawk Squaw and had a daughter who married one of those Irish, and they were my direct ancestors.  So besides the ocean of Irish, there is French and there is Native American from my Mother.  On my father's side, I had thought, from books and piles and piles of information handed down, English was the greater part, with a touch of Scot and Welsh and German and, I expected, Viking.  My granddaughter Maria gave a bunch of us Ancestry.com kits for Christmas some years ago.  Then I learned, to my great surprise, the largest component in me, from my father, is the Scottish!  No wonder I squeeze a penny until it yells out!

Yep, more Scottish than English, albeit the English is very much there.  And the Welsh shows up.  And Hey, Hey!  Watta ya say!  There is the Viking I had sensed, knowing a number of them probably had their way with my ancestresses whilst on their raids. Just ordinary History books had told me that years and years ago.  But I kind of sort of expected them to be a Scandinavian mix.  Well, Ancestry says not.  Ancestry identifies them as Norwegian!

So these girls share pretty much a lot of common bloodlines in the amount of English and Norwegian each side carries.

patricia19

Again very interesting. You do have a way with words, MaryPage!

I had always heard mainly Irish from my maternal line with Welsh and Scots from my paternal side. One maternal great uncle had done a lot of family research pre-computer in the fifties and sixties. So I knew that the Irish side had been transported from the Shannon area to Charleston, SC in the mid seventeen forties by the British over the sale of a horse.

I knew that the Vikings liked to raid the Irish coast due to the predominance of monasteries, so when Ancestory.com came out, I decided to double-check those family stories.

Mine came back with the majority Irish, and the other Celtic side half Welsh and Scots. So, those family stories matched up. The four percent Swedish and two percent Norwegian matched up with my reading. I also discovered that the farming side that was so prevalent in my family was also prevalent in the ancestral countries. There were never any wealthy people in my background.

After my generation, there were many more ethnicities brought into both maternal and paternal lines.

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page...
...Glad you explained the lack of males, that was the one first thing that caught my eye, why were the men being left out, well now i know, there aren't any.......

MaryPage

You are right, Jackie.  I have 6 blood granddaughters and 1 step one from my oldest blood daughter marrying a man who was divorced with one little girl.  So Tracy, the oldest of this bunch, is my very own step granddaughter, and I've had her since she was five.  She is a delight.

Everyone we knew was flabbergasted that Bob and I each had all girls in the grandchild generation.  Well, truth to tell, so were we!  You are correct: no boys at all in that generation of my family.

But the boys own the majority, I think by only 1 though, in the great grand generation.

I was sick about your description of trying to get your 2nd vaccination, and proud of you for persevering. I doubt I would have done nearly so well as you.

Just for fun, two of these granddaughters are Big Deals.  Well, actually each of the 13 is, but in a different way.  These two have titles: each is a Vice President of a big concern.  Both are steps belonging to Bob.  The one 4th from the left in the back row, Helaine, is Vice President in charge of Marketing for a humongous bank.  The one next to her, Angela, 5th from the left, is Vice President in charge of Actuary Services in an insurance company.  The one on the far right of the front 3 is probably going to wind up the richest.  She has a great job with a large company, but has also opened her own gift store and her own restaurant.  She also sells a line of candles on line.  Kim.  Angela's sister

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page...
... you must have done something right to have had such bright children to produce such bright grand children for you...you must be very proud of their business achievements, of reaching Vice Presidents...I admire the young lady who has opened her own gift store and marvel at how she also manages to run a restaurant as well, along with her day job...Does she know there is only 24 hours in the day....when does she find time to relax...

MaryPage

Jackie, you've hit the nail right on the head: she is exhausted. Fortunately, she has a wonderful husband to help out, but he recently had Covid (and no, this is not a script I wrote), and is still recuperating. She only has one child (a daughter), so that helps.  And Kim is very organized. Still, I don't know how she does it.  I hear from her less than I used to, but get a great email every couple of months.  Kiersten will be 14 next month.  Kim, Angela and Deborah are sisters, the children of my stepson Chris, who lives in Virginia.  Kim & Angela live in Oklahoma City and Deborah lives in Hawaii. Angela, the actuary, has just one child, Emma, as well.  She will be 9 in June, and she and Kiersten are great friends and like sisters.  As for Chris, I can remember when he was born and my looking for the car to arrive from the hospital the day he came home so I could hold him and check him out.  He will probably retire next month!

MaryPage

Not next month; next year. Overtired Old Crone moment.

Amy

Janes birthday party..Not a valid attachment ID.JaneS birthday 2021.jpg

[photo resized]
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

AMY, I heard this picture had been posted on Facebook and that David had commented that he sent it to you.  It was a lovely party and a great weekend but it's not over yet.  Because my son was away for the weekend and couldn't come to this party, I'm having dinner with him and his family toningt.  And that will be the last celebration!  I do have a wonderful family!

patricia19

Jane, how nice to "see" you on your birthday! You do have a wonderful family!

Amy

Bubble, thank you for resizing the photo ..
Jane, have an enjoyable dinner tonight..
Jimmy Dean