Random Image

sunset clouds

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

I'm assuming the plastic is to protect the balcony floor painting they did yesterday from the rain. The previous balconies were made out of a stucco poured frame. Now I'm afraid of what ideas they have for the new windows...

Amy

Patricia, that looks like steel roofing to me..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Sandy

Thanks for the pictures Patricia.

When they do out side work here in Portland,   
they are very strict about what can and can
not be used.  Everything needs to look the
same as it did....  lot's of regulations. 

The weather here is starting to cool down,
which is a great relief.   IMHO the nicest
part of the year here in Maine is coming up.

Shortly there after is the worst..
(Holidays !) and new year.   

Time sure is flying by. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

Sandy, I posted this at the Soda Shop; They had the lift machine out early and just now removed the balcony door lock and took down the plastic. I'm afraid that means they're done, but I hope not.

They had originally put down wood and then plywood for the balcony floor. Then they painted it a commercial brand of steel grey and put up the plastic and soon after, coming back to paint a second coat. This one is the color of what may inadvertently come out of either end.

However, they're back on the lifts on my end of the building, so who knows? When these buildings were privately owned, we were in a better condition before the state purchased them in 2016. Now, as state-owned, even reserved for a certain population segment,  I'm assuming we're considered public housing?

I saw the manager and offended her by asking if we were considered public housing. She told me we are an independent senior building. If it were public, we'd pay less, have none of the perks such as free laundry, garbage shoots, automatic locked doors and entryways, 24/7 maintenance and security, and cameras in all public areas. She also said only a very few pay less per income. I believe I upset her. However, we're, in my own opinion, receiving less of what we received before.

patricia19

I've been talking about the new balconies, doors, and windows replacements on my building and the six other buildings owned as a group in the city.

In this photo, you see the new railings for the new balconies. I'm not a fan. If you look to the right of the entry, Gloria, you will see a red star and the manager's office.

patricia19

This is the front middle portion of the building. Very drab this time of year with rain and cold. The upper floors have two long narrow windows and a balcony door. The finished ones on the first floor show a tiny screen door.

patricia19

This photo shows bars or railings going from the middle to the right side of the building. I'm not sure what they're for. I'm hoping they plan to fix the balcony floor's paint splatters before they finish.

patricia19

Working right below me today;

Amy

Patricia, is that a Birch tree in the first photo?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

RAMMEL

Quote from: patricia19 on September 20, 2021, 04:24:58 PMThis photo shows bars or railings going from the middle to the right side of the building. I'm not sure what they're for.
Might be to achieve legal height requirement.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Interesting windows/doors, Patricia, and after the year I've had with repairs I envy you having someone else make the decisions on what to do! I've tried finding people for different jobs & can't get anyone to WORK, it's like they don't know how! I used to tease my husband that "we worked great together, he gave orders & I took them!" Truth was he did make decisions & I was a good pair of extra hands. Having had 3 older brothers I was used to being bossed around.  ;)

I'm sure life has been very different this year & most of last, being pretty well confined & muzzled. But I remember polio & one of the twins that lived next door caught it. Was a scary time for all & a long time before he could get off their front porch to play in the yard. His parents bought him a lot of toys so kids would come play with him. My brother ran into him on a golf course about middle-age & told us he was still bitter about his life. Sad, but it was a terrible disease that isn't around anymore. Not sure how Covid compares with polio but the news media certainly has played a role in scaring people. I don't say that to start a debate, just that I do wear a mask even tho not required but for MY protection & should I have have it again & not know it, to not spread. Thanks for the photos, looks like a nice place to live!

JaneS

PATRICIA, the new doors look different from the old ones...hopefully, easier to use and built to keep the cold air out.  Good pictures.  Thanks for sharing!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

patricia19

Thanks to those who commented. I had been complaining about a couple of months ad nauseam, so I figured I'd show you what I was talking about. The previous balcony railing was, I believe, wood floors with a poured concrete form for railings.

A screened sliding glass door is replacing the balcony door and two narrow windows. They're working on the two to the right first-floor units with plenty of beeps and thuds. Farrah has decided to keep a watchful eye on the window and hang close to me. I don't know how she'll react as they move closer or even when they're in my apartment. It's good that I have the rescue remedy, and I'm rethinking where I'll put her for those eight hours.

Tenants cannot remain in the apartment for those eight hours; the maintenance people and construction crew will be there. I was going to leave her in the bathroom. However, now I'm thinking of the hallway closet with the shelves.

Thanks, Rick, that makes sense.

Shirley, I would have gone with better-looking balcony rails.

Amy, yes, that's one of our millions of paper birch trees. We also have tamarack, spruce, aspen, balsam poplar. We're in the midst of the huge boreal forest or taiga, covering the Interior between the mountains.

patricia19

Just as a point of reference, this is the old balcony railing. A poured concrete mold. The blue painted boards were replaced with new boards topped with a cut to fit plywood sheet and painted a light tan.

patricia19

New balcony, there is steel mesh at the bottom.

Shirley

Patricia, I will worry about Farrah until they are done & gone after losing old LaurenKat in CO. I'm not exaggerating when I say the side door to the motorhome was not open more than 2 inches & she slipped out. I was so sure she was in the bedroom with the door closed & saw her move off that front seat & slip out that door behind the seat. My worst nightmare. She managed to slip off the harness when we took her camping in MO one time, searched all night with a spot light & discovered the harness & leash hanging from a tree limb, she knew if she got a chance to pull against the harness she could slip her shoulders out, pulled that at home one time & found the leash & harness hanging from a neighbor's tree. Cas even ordered her an "escape proof" harness from Australia or somewhere. She was terrified of people, anyone but Cas or me.... but loved to run all night. After she got hurt one night we tried to keep her in & she went nuts so later we tried keeping her in at night & she had the days to run. In the CO campground she heard the people so begged to go out at night. She was 18 so tell myself she wanted out to die, but I still feel bad. I do have a big enough cage (for a dog) that when she had the surgery that time the vet insisted we make her stay in the cage for the length of meds we had to give her. I explained she went to the door when she needed to potty, never used a litter box. He assured me she would use the litter box. She did and for the rest of her life she would be out all day, come to use the litter box & want right back out! Tom & Tiger learned from her. They stay out all day but come in to use the litter box. I am not a good trainer! When we lost Lauren in MO campground I stepped out of the Rialta every 15 min all night long & gave the whistle we use to call cats, birds, fish... whatever, so she would know where we were. Next morning Cas got out & whistled & she popped up out of the tall grass, he grabbed her & got inside so happy, and she just wanted to go back out, must have had fun chasing mice because she was not hungry! Anyway, hope all goes well & she doesn't get too upset.

patricia19

Shirley, when I got Farrah in 2016, she had been badly abused and wanted no part of the outside and still doesn't. I also purchased Rescue Remedy, a known relaxant for cats, dogs, and even people!

The construction guys, always accompanied by maintenance staff, are aware of pets locked in closets and bathrooms and not bother them. They are more concerned with getting in, getting the job done, and then getting back out. I'm concerned with where to go for six to eight hours.

so_P_bubble

Renovations are in the finishing stage except for the lobby. About time!

Building after repairs 2021.jpg

patricia19

I know just how that feels! I noticed with the snowmelt that I have standing water on my balcony, not good. Suppose you figure thirty days per floor in the window and door reno, my apt. will be in late November.

patricia19

While the earlier snow, from last week, was early as our first snow usually comes around Halloween and melts quickly, our second snow generally comes in November and stays.

Here are four views of what started at two PM, 38 minutes ago.

20211001_141220a.jpg

20211001_141325a.jpg

patricia19

Amy

Ohhhh......please keep that there!!! If that just started can't imagine how much it will gift you before it stops!!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

It's the awkward, slip and slide part of living in the Arctic...

It was very much a surprise as not in the weather report, and the day started clear.

Vanilla-Jackie

My underneath photo...These were presented to me this morning by a lady from church on behalf of my church for Sundays church reading, a note that came with it and what she said to me was, that i read it " beautifully "

Apologies for the duplication..i will try to delete one of them...hm, easier said than done...
" There is no present like the time "

Vanilla-Jackie

Tomereader1

Vanilla-Jackie

Tomereader...thank you for appreciating and responding.. :)

Beverly

Very nice flowers! The daisy types should last so you'll be able to enjoy them for awhile.

JaneS

Just got around to checking out the flowers...love 'em!  That was so nice to them to do that!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

Thank you BEVERLY and JANE...came totally unexpected, i was not expecting any reward for reading in church...