Random Image

Bridge & Boat

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMMEL

Shirley, - Interesting comments on dogs accepting people. We had a neighbor who had a Doberman. He would walk it on a leash and the dog was friendly after the owner conversed in a friendly manner.  One night I saw the dog wandering around out front of my place - alone, but with a rope dragging behind him.  I was hesitant but slowly approached talking very kindly, not knowing what to expect. I picked up the far end of the rope, at which point the dog led me right back to his home.  Guess he was accustomed to being at the end of a leash.  I was relieved to be done with that deed. He had apparently chewed through the rope and went for a walk on his own.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Rick, I never put my hand into the dog's space. But when they are on the loose I will do like you, try to see if they have a tag to call & so far never been bit. Dad gave me a Dobe pup for my 6th birthday but I didn't know it was Dobe. My twin aunts delighted in making him growl by saying they were going to spank me. The owner of the pup's mother owed Dad some money & even at that age I realized my mother didn't want something else to take care of (I was the 5th kid), but she couldn't say no when he just brought it home for my birthday & gave him to me! Tricky Dad! Dad made sure the breeder didn't clip the ears or dock the tail so Mickey didn't look as mean as the dobermans we are used to seeing. I've tried to find a breeder around here that won't dock the ears or tail but no "experienced" breeders. One lady I did ask if she realized in Europe they won't allow "altered" ears & tail on Dobes in the show ring. Seems in this part of the country people buy a dog & soon as it's old enough, breed them & no clue what all they need to do to sell a "pure bred" dog.  ::)

We had a neighbor that raised Silkies and Poms... shipped them all over the US for shows & paid the local professional in whatever city to show them. At one time they had the top Silkie in the U.S. She & her husband took my 2 oldest kids to the Junior Kennel Club & had them train & show their poms. Quite a deal. My kids felt sorry for the dogs being sold like that, we think of our animals as little 4 legged furry people.

Did you know that a horse on the loose that is used to a bridle can be led by a string if you can con it with a carrot or apple & slide that string or ribbon around it's neck. I watched some neighbors chase a horse for half an hour, we all had acre lots so the horse was inside someone's fence. Being near a highway it really is dangerous to have one loose. I finally got a carrot & some twine or light rope & asked for a chance to try, it loved the carrot & followed me without the twine being tied or anything. It belonged to a family the next mile section away so I tied it to the dog's pole & waited for the owner to come.

We lived 8 blocks from the state fair grounds when I was growing up & people kept their horses stalled year around except for a few weeks before & during the fair. I spent a lot of time visiting the horses & the exercise boys would let me ride when the boss wasn't around. My Mom explained to me how horses had to be fed, cleaned up after & exercised every day so would have to give up all my other activities to have one. I didn't ask for one. ;)

I was lucky to have twin aunts a few years younger than my mother, she was in charge of them a lot because their mouther died when Mom was only 7 & they were 3 or 4. They were tomboys &  mother was a proper little girl so had to learn to deal with the pair of them and had no problem that I came along just like them.

Time to shut down, will be calling a plumber in the morning, several problems but the one tonight (sink stopped up when I ran the disposal) can't be put off. Have a leaky faucet in the bath tub I use & hot water heater is 10 years old with warranty of 7 years, so this will be an expensive week.

so_P_bubble

For Shirley

I'm not real happy with the end result but done anyway!

Wiley1.jpg

JaneS

Oh, Shirley, they're going to LOVE it! 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

MaryPage

All Clear here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay this morning.  We have not been visited by anything more than a little rain.  I cannot report for the WHOLE bay, as it is huge; but Annapolis and the Bay Bridges are intact here on a misty grey morning.  I am feeling so sorry for the many dead and their families, and the towns torn to bits.

FlaJean

Shirley

Thank you Jane & Jean, and thank you, Bubble, for resizing & posting for me. Been a while since doing a dog portrait but don't recall ever having so much trouble with the fur & directions it went. Every photo I took looked so different, but the face really looks like him. Little devil that he is/was, been scaring me coming out of nowhere to bark a foot from me, just all of a sudden appeared! Now that we are friends he doesn't bark at me at all.

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Rick, I am a little brain dead this morning, busy-busy week & anything that could go wrong, did. I saw your comment last night or early this morning so waited to see if anyone else took credit for it... nobody claims the honor so if it was directed at the dog painting, I do thank you (if not, don't tell me I'll blush!) 

Saw what you said about the wind farms. We have lots of them in KS but they aren't sucking up enough wind to suit me! I'm not sure they are saving anyone money, from what I heard WE (our Gov) subsdize more than we should. Not a lot of common sense out there these days, with limits to government spending & taxing. BUT, that's a whole nuther subject! I'd settle for going out into the woods & living off the land...and I got a bridge to sell if anyone buys that!

RAMMEL

Shirley, the TALENT comment was for you. I've never been able to draw/paint like that. I can do some drafting or mechanical drawing. That was a subject I sailed through in High School.  Some of us even got to do ink drawings.

My thoughts on the wind mills is that they are using enough energy from the wind that it causes enough weather/wind pattern change to cause us problems - by slowing winds and taking the oomph out of them.. We hear weather people comment about the Jet Stream moving up or down causing shifts in our weather. Even El Nino.  To me that indicates how important the wind patterns are. 
Remember when Hair Spray and Deodorant (spray on) were the guilty parties.

I get 2 or 3 calls a week to adorn my roof with those lovely solar panels.
[/b]
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

My sons have solar panels to take camping & do a good job keeping things charged up. In KS I do think the wind generators could do a good job if you lived away from the city, had a house built into a hill (not many of those in KS) & enough dirt overhead to keep temps fairly stable. A long ago friend & her husband did a thorough study of building but never did. WE were young then & I was always ready to help do whatever it took to get ahead or stay afloat.

I met a lot of men artists during my 45-50 years of doing art shows & I think nearly every one of them had those drafting & mechanical drawing classes. I envied them because they had an edge on everyone else. It is a pastime you can do forever (look at old me), unlike sports. It doesn't take much to get started, if you want to try it is easier than ink drawings!  Be happy to give you some tips e-mail if you decide you do. I was lucky & had art teachers all thru school, a "roving" artist that visited each of the 7 elementary schools & Jr hi & Hi school it was an elective. I wanted a letter sweater so got one in art my Soph. year. The cheerleading one didn't come until Jr. year.

Years ago a group of us that painted started an Art Guild we touted for "anyone that ever wanted to paint but didn't know where to start". By the time I dropped out/moved, we had nearly 400 members, pretty hard to get that many (mostly women) to agree on anything. A few of the men were retired draftsmen & became well known here in the midwest. They leaned toward producing Native American paintings & even taught classes. Never too old.  :thumbup:

RAMMEL

Shirley, --- Your art work and drafting & mechanical drawing are so totally different there could be no advantage between people knowing one or the other. I had some of my drawings but I may have thrown them out during a clean up campaign.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

Drafting and mechanical drawing might be different but they certainly are a help in painting for getting a better idea about proportions and perspective.

Shirley

Amen to that, Bubble. I did have 280 hours of cartographic drafting training from the Corp of Engineer Army Map Service but that was no help at all with painting or drawing. I had a clerk typist job with Civil Service & got the job mainly because of that drafting experience... they needed a draftsman but didn't have the opening for one. I tried to explain my training would NOT help them with blue prints... but the Major had me making charts (with cartoon characters) for his speeches all over the country. No matter how I tried to get away from "art", I kept bumping into it. Finally when we needed art work for the walls in a new house, I started painting. Fell into it again & started doing the shows to get rid of the excess. What fit my walls fit others. I always believe that everyone else, given the same chances I had, could paint better if they tried. End of story.

Amy

This is a new addition to son's house........meet Skye and Luna the pup.

thumbnail (1).jpg Skye and Luna.jpg
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

What a cute picture!  Love Skye's uncertain expression!  :-\   Both beautiful dogs.

FlaJean

Skye looks so dignified

patricia19

Any, what a wonderful expressive photo! Skye looks braced as if contemplating an escape, while Luna seems to be looking at Skye for direction! I love this photo!

Shirley

Love those expressions, Amy!  My son has had 3 or 4 Great Danes (they don't live long) and loves their gentle ways. They have a great neighbor that takes him for a walk every day so he has a key to their house & enjoys without having the worries! Love to see Skye & Luna standing side by side. I asked my son to put a bite of food on their kitchen counter top to show how tall Bosley was & he laughed, "do you know how long it took me to convince him NOT to pick up anything from that counter?!" But he did it so I could take the photo. That was one horse of a dog. It sat on the couch like a human, with back feet on the floor. I fully expected hit to lean back & cross those front legs like arms! The latest one is a smaller female, a Harlequin. Thanks for posting the photo!

JaneS

What a space those two will take up when that little one is full grown!  What a sweet picture!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Thank you Marilyne, Patricia, Jean ,Shirley and Jane.  Skye is slowly coming around to the new pup. Once the "pecking" order has been established I hope all with be well.

Shirley, Skye is the small of the Danes, Coal was huge! He would have to lower his head to rest it on the table, he was truly a gentle giant.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

This was my neighborhood yesterday at 20 minutes past noon. The sun is going down and its minus 29.

20211213_122107a.jpg

Shirley

Awesome photo, Patricia, especially with it being a NOON shot! I actually shivered at the sight of the frozen street... burrrrrrrrrr. Think I must be getting old because I'm not yearning to walk that street right now! I'd still liked to have visited your world.

MarsGal

Lovely picture, Patricia, but not the cold. I like cooler weather better than hot these days, but not that cold. Brrrrrrr! is right, Shirley.

patricia19

It's all due to the curvature of the earth and the loss or gain of daylight, heat, and cold governed by the solstices in both hemispheres. It affects everything, people, crops, animals, the SAD condition, everything. 

patricia19

These five photos  taken from my balcony at just after noon today show how we went from less than an inch to yes, we'll have a white Christmas from 8 AM to noon. My cell couldn't pick up the falling snow, just the results so far.

a.jpg

patricia19

patricia19

patricia19

patricia19