Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Welcome back to the Library Bookshelf! :)

MarsGal

CallieOK

Hooray,  we're back!

Same old Callie here - had to re-register.

FYI,  "Monuments Men"  is on AMC tonight.  (Weren't we talking about this movie here?  It's been sooooo long.... :uglystupid2: (couldn't wait to try out one of the new emoticons!)

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyne

Hi Callie - Good to see you here! Thanks for the tip on Monuments Men.  It's also playing on my free, On Demand movies, so I'll likely watch it there, so won't have to contend with commercials.  Not sure about some of those new emoticons. ???  Is that a baseball bat?? LOL.  I wonder if we're going to get our old ones back . . . the balloons, welcome sign, thumbs-up, and others? 

Hi MarsGal - Are you a new member, or an old member with a new name??  Either way, welcome to the brand new Library Bookshelf!

MarsGal

Marilyne, I was Frybabe. I took the opportunity, since we had to reregister, to change my moniker. No longer with Fry Comm (a client had taken to calling me Frybabe), I am looking forward to being around when we actually put boots on the ground on Mars. In my next life I fully expect to be part of a space mission. Big plans for the unknowable future huh!

BTW, I am currently reading a nonfiction, Meet You in Hell by Les Standiford. The Black Count by Tom Reiss is currently on hold. Both are interesting. The Black Count is so interesting that I presented my BIL with a the audio CD version of it on his 80th birthday less than two weeks ago.

Marilyne

MarsGal - I like that better than Frybabe!  I kinda thought it was you when I saw the new moniker.

Thanks for the book suggestions.  I know you like science fiction, so wondering if they're sf? I checked out a new sf book that was recommended to me - Nightfall, by Halpern and Kujawinski.  "After fourteen years of Day, comes fourteen years of night".  I haven't started it yet, but sounds like a good one. 

I don't think I'll be around to see anyone set foot on Mars - unless it happens pretty darned soon! I'll have to be content with reading and watching,The Martian.   

MarsGal

Marilyn, they are both nonfiction. Meet You in Hell is about Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick who had been his partner. Big feud between the two. I haven't gotten to the big steel/iron worker strike yet.The Black Count is about Alexander Dumas' father. His father and grandfather were big inspirations for some of Dumas' characters. Some interesting history about French attitudes toward slavery and Blacks that affected their lives.

Kelly

Hi MarsGal
You had me confused with the name change!

Mind you it des not take much to confuse me :)

Kelly

JeanneP

Finely found where you were all hiding.  Looks like I am a Newbie again.  Need to find out how to put a new Avatar in along with putting a shortcut on my desktop.  I have instruction some place

Oh!  spell check not working here.Can't manage without that.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Welcome back JeanneP - We're all Newbies again!  It's nice to start fresh and new again, but takes a while to get things set up the way we want them. 

MarsGal - Meet You in Hell, sounds good.  I already put a hold on it at my library, and will pick it up this weekend. 

Kelly

Hi Marilyne
I think I have been upgraded from a newbie!

Kelly

MarsGal

Marilyne, after I am done with Meet You in Hell (who could resist a name like that), I plan on reading Standiford's book on Henry Flagler. He helped open up Florida with his railroad and resort.

Jeanne Lee

Kelly, your status as newbie, full member, etc. depends on the number of posts you make.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

so_P_bubble

I am still reading the Clifton Chronicles, the last 5th published. Archer is really the best as for keeping us in suspense.
I hope the next volume is published soon.

Anyone read or enjoyed Elisabeth Goudge?  I used to have all her books but cannot find them anymore :(

maryc

Am I the only one having trouble finding my way around the new SandFs.   The new posts now appear at the bottom of the page and there doesn't always seem to be a reply button.   I wonder if I need to reset my info to receive emails for new posts??
Mary C

so_P_bubble

Mary you need to click on "notify" in the discussions  when you want to get a mail for new posts.

Marilyne

maryc - you can go to your own profile, find the "drop down" menu, and click on Look and Layout.  Then you can arrange the look of S&F to the way you want to see it.  There is a box to click as to whether you want to see new posts starting at the top of the page or at the bottom.

That probably doesn't make sense, so I hope Bubble can explain it better? 

phyllis

That makes sense just fine, Marilyne, and probably explains it more clearly than I could.

I'm not reading anything of much value these days......mostly fluff that helps me go to sleep at night or occupies me if I wake up during the night.  However, I read a good one a couple of weeks ago.  If anyone here likes Daphne du Maurier books they might like Black Rabbit Hall / Eve Chase.  I enjoyed it very much.
phyllis
Cary,NC

maryc

Thank you ladies for your good help in getting me organized here in the forums......it worked!    As is so often the case,   I don't read the directions thoroughly.    :-[     My DD often tells me,  "Mom....read the directions!"

Bubble,  I see that you are reading the Clifton Chronicles.    I have yet to get the newest from the library and think that there might be a wait as Mr. Archer seems to be pretty popular these days.    I'm still involved with Maggie Hope and her mystery series.    I've read them a bit out of order so have the third one left to get back to.    Well anyway,  I know her and her co workers pretty well by now so it won't be hard to catch up.   These have been interesting reading, but I'm tired of reading series and want to dabble.    My DD reminded me on Sunday that there is a sequel to The Bean Trees and I would like to go there next.   It is call Pigs in Heaven.
Mary C

so_P_bubble

Yes Series can be a bit too much after a time.  I too will go to something shorter after this, maybe a Grisham or some Science Fiction for a change.  I'd like to get a Robert Sawyer, but he is hard to find here for some reason.

CallieOK

The 6th Clifton Chronicle is out and I just finished reading the e-book version on my Tablet.  I think #7 is due out later this year.
I'm enjoying the series but I hope he doesn't go on and on and on and....until the books sound as if they're written from a formula.

IMO,  that's what Diana Gabaldon has done with her "Outlander" series.  I think the last one was #10 or #11 and the two main characters STILL aren't back in Scotland, where they were buried in the first book!

Currently, I'm reading "Ordinary Grace" and some "fluff stuff".    Not sure that Alexander McCall Smith's "Scotland Street" series qualifies - but I just started the current one in that series.

Also need to clean the refrigerator.  Hmmm.....what to do? what to do?   :-\   ;D

Marilyne

maryc - Glad you now have the page layout set up as you like it. :thumbup:   Your mention of The Bean Trees, reminds me once again that it's the only Barbara Kingsolver that I haven't read!  The Poisonwood Bible, is at the top of my all time favorite book list, but I was not particularly fond of Flight Behavior, and The Lacuna

phyllis - I very much like Daphne du Maurier books.  I've read Rebecca, and seen the movie, a number of times over the years.  Despite it's age, it's a story that never grows old and dated.  I'll put Black Rabbit Hall, on my library list for this weekend.

bubble - My husband read the latest Grisham book, and liked it a lot. I can't remember the name of it now?   My favorite of his books is The Client.  I especially liked the movie version.

Callie - I've never been a big fan of series books, except for the Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames books, when I was a little girl. :) I've never read any of the interesting sounding books that you all mention in this discussion, like the Clifton Chronicles.  Did you watch the TV version of The Outlander?  I liked it at first, but the last episode was too disgusting for me.  I doubt that I'll be watching it again when it returns.  I did like some of the characters however - especially Dougal and Jamie. 
How do you like Ordinary Grace?  I really enjoyed that book, and my husband did too. 

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I watched about half of the first episode of the TV "Outlander" but became disgusted with the characterizations and didn't keep at it.  Re: the books....  I'm tired of them wandering around colonial America and wish she would get them back to Scotland and be done with it. 
Not long after "Outlander" was published,  I was on a tour of The British Isles and we went to the Culladon Battlefield. It was fascinating to look out across the region and visualize the battle.  The little house is a museum but I didn't get over to it.
I was amazed that copies of the book were in the gift shop, which I thought spoke well of Gabaldon's historical accuracy - since she's from New Mexico.  However, the Scottish title is "Cross-stitch" (yes, I bought one  :)).

I finished "Ordinary Grace" this afternoon.  I'm glad I read it - but wouldn't count it as one of my favorites.

The Clifton Chronicles aren't anything like the Nancy Drew, etc. series. (How about the Bobbsey Twins and Honey Bunch?) They follow the Clifton family through quite a few years - with other characters being introduced along the way.  It isn't necessary to read them in order but the later ones would probably make more sense if you do.

so_P_bubble

My daughter is reading Outlander in Hebrew!

phyllis

I read through the Outlander series to Voyager but grew tired of the whole thing so never finished reading the series.  I did watch the tv show and loved seeing the beautiful Scottish scenery again.  I'll probably start watching the new season but since it is set mainly in Paris I'm not sure if I'll keep with it.  I didn't like the last episode of last season either, Marilyne, but since it was in the book I guess they had to portray it.  I don't think it needed to be quite so graphic, though.   :-[

Callie, we were at Culloden in 1978 and the battlefield was overgrown with trees but still very effective.  I read later that they removed all of the trees and restored it to the same field where the battle actually took place.  It is a somber place when you see all of the Clan graves and think about the terrible slaughter that went on there.
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

Talking about Clan, did anyone read and enjoyed The Clan of the Cave  Bear by Auel?

MarsGal

Bubble, I read that years and years ago when it first came out. Never read any of the rest of the series.

phyllis

I read it, too, a long time ago.  I remember that I liked it but tried one of her later books and didn't think it was as good so didn't stay with her.
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

that serie was good and then she promised to havethe last one published soon, which would have told what happened to her son left with the tribe, but after a few years we are still waiting!