Random Image

Winter Haiku

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

"Just Plain Old Music"

Started by RAMMEL, June 12, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

A funky, rollicking medley of "Funkytown" and "I Feel Good" by three New York City bands - Lucky Chops, Moon Hooch and Too Many Zooz. Three baritone saxes, an alto sax, a trumpet, a trombone, a sousaphone and two drummers. This would have been great to see live.

Oldiesmann

Back in 1979, Ray Stevens parodied Barry Manilow and took it to the extreme. The album art is a parody of Manilow's Tryin' to Get the Feeling. This song also mentions several Manilow songs (and pokes fun at the fact that Manilow didn't write the hit "I Write the Songs").

Marilyne

Here's an old favorite of mine that's kinda sad, but still brings back happy memories when you listen to those lyrics and remember the good times.

Oldiesmann

A great example of what you find when you look into a band further. In 1972, Boston-area folk/country rock band Clean Living became famous among fans of novelty songs for their recording of "In Heaven There Is No Beer". In reality they were a talented, serious band, who had only recorded that song to fill out the B side of their first album (though it's unclear where they learned it given that it wouldn't have been very well known to anyone who wasn't familiar with Frankie Yankovic and/or polka music in general), but Vanguard decided to release that song as the A side of the band's first single. This song ended up being their second single and appeared on their second album, Meadowmuffin, in 1973.

Oldiesmann

A one-hit-wonder from 1973/1974 (1973 in parts of Europe, 1974 in the UK). The Peppers were from France and released 3 or 4 singles before breaking up.

Oldiesmann

A fun novelty tune from 1947. This probably wouldn't be considered acceptable today.

Marilyne

Michael, I remember "Huggin' and Chalkin'" -  very popular when I was in the 7th grade.  Played constantly on all the pop radio stations in the Los Angeles area.  There were other songs that were even worse, that would be banned in today's world.   

Oldiesmann

This one would get banned today as well. At least this one has someone who appreciates the woman for who she is.

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Oldiesmann

Leon was great. I still have a copy of On the Track somewhere

Oldiesmann

Here's one you've probably never heard (at least not this version). The original version of Gary Lewis and The Playboys' hit "Sure Gonna Miss Her". Written by Bobby Russell (who wrote "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" among other things, in addition to recording his own records), this was done by one of a number of studio acts who recorded soundalike covers of popular songs for budget label Hit Records. Originally these releases contained cover recordings on both sides, but at some point they switched to including recordings of original songs on the B side, mostly written by their in-house songwriters.

Oldiesmann

Another song that would be politically incorrect these days. This was originally recorded as "Monsieur Cannibale" by French artist Sacha Distel. In the original, a man is kidnapped by a cannibal and tries various things to avoid being eaten by said cannibal. In this version, the singer begs the cannibal to eat him "again" (only in German for some reason - probably to avoid the censors). This has also been done in German, Spanish, Italian, Swedish and Dutch - apparently it was quite a popular song across Europe.

Oldiesmann

A bluegrass version of Del Shannon's hit "Runaway". The record label refers to a real festival (apparently sponsored by KFC) that took place in Louisville, Kentucky (from the 60s at least through 1987)

Marilyne

I never would have guessed that was Del Shannon's Runaway.  Interesting, but I prefer the original.  8)   

Oldiesmann

Another interesting bluegrass cover. This is a cover of the 1955 song "Memories Are Made of This", which was a big hit for Dean Martin that year.

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

That's a beautiful rendition of,  "They Can't Take That Away From Me". I enjoyed listening to it.  :thumbup:

Marilyne

"Listen to the Rhythm  of the Falling Rain", which I've been doing for the past two months.

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Oldiesmann

Acker Bilk was one of the first Brits to hit the top spot here in the US with the classic "Stranger on the Shore". Very talented musician.

Here's a classic from 1958. This was The Diamonds' biggest hit, peaking at #2 in the US and #3 in the UK, and the first of what would be 5 straight top 20 hits for the group.

Oldiesmann

From the "what were they thinking" department. Apparently an attempt to further capitalize on the popularity of surfing in the mid-1960s, someone decided it was a good idea to have Annette Funicello release an album of covers of popular surf songs. Here's her take on the classic Jan & Dean song "Ride the Wild Surf". Not terrible but nobody did Jan & Dean songs like Jan & Dean (except for The Beach Boys maybe)

Oldiesmann

"Peel me a 'nanner, toss me a peanut, you sure made a monkey out of me!"  ;D

Written by the great Bill Anderson. This is from 1963.

Oldiesmann

A fun Bluegrass tune from the mid-70s.

Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

A smoking cha cha rendition of "El choclo" (aka "Kiss of Fire") by saxophonist Earl Bostic and his orchestra from 1959. He also did a bossa nova version of this a few years later.