Random Image

anthem.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

I think I might be one of the few in the country that is not really an Ann Patchett fan, Bel Canto was OK but I liked the movie better.  After reading so many rave reviews of her newest book, The Dutch House, I went to the library site.  For the 4 combined formats in the library collection of: book (71 copies), audiobook (31 copies), ebook (38 copies), and large print (25 copies), I saw that 1,348 people are waiting!  It is going to be a long time before I read this book, I think.  I suppose I could use my Barnes and Noble account and buy it but it has to be a VERY special book for me to do that.  Everything I've read has said that the audiobook is the best version because Tom Hanks is the reader and he does a superb job.

I just finished a Jack Reacher by Lee Child and have a Baldacci waiting....I don't remember the title.  All of those books kind of run together in my mind but they fill up some time.

Happy New Year, All.
phyllis
Cary,NC

SCFSue

Phyllis, I am a big Jack Reacher fan!  My son who lives near me knows this and he went to lots of thrift stores before Christmas and brought me a box of Reacher books.  I'll spend lots of time reading them and hoping/praying that Reacher takes care of the bad guys and then moves on to another destination.  Reacher was a Captain in the U.S. Army, but when he retired, he took to the road (most of the time on foot) just exploring the U.S.  He usually runs into some one who  needs help and does that!

I highly recommend his adventures!  (However, someone made a film of one of his adventures and had a movie star who was VERY UNREACHER!)  I don't recommend that!

Sue

Marilyne

PHYLLIS  -  If you didn't know better, you'd never think  Bel Canto, and  The Dutch House, were both written by the same author - Ann Patchett.  They're totally different in writing style, I think.  As you know, "Bel" is a novel that's based on a true story - a hostage event that took place in 1996, in South America.  Dutch  House, is straight fiction,  and is a five decade family saga, that takes place mostly in Pennsylvania, where the fictional, Dutch House, is located.  I like them both, but I like DH, the best.  I'm really enamored with the story and the characters, and would say without hesitation that it was my favorite book of 2019.

I've also heard that the audio book narration by Tom Hanks, is fabulous.  I plan on listening to it, at some time in the future, when all the hubbub calms down.  I'm thinking that he will most likely buy the movie rights to the book, and will play the role of the father.   Request the large print copy from the library, and you will probably get it much sooner.  The large print books are on a separate wait list at our library, which is much shorter than the regular wait list.

SUE  -  I'm not a fan of the crime thrillers, which includes anything written by,  Lee Child, Baldacci, Patterson, Connelly, Clancy, et al.  They all seem the same to me, but I know I'm in the minority, as most people do like them.  My husband reads them, and enjoys them, but agrees that they all alike.   I do like the few books that I've read by John Grisham.  Not sure if he is in that same genre or not??

SCFSue

MarilynE, I do read a lot of the books you mentioned. Some of them are predictable, but I enjoy them.  Reacher finds a way to get out of some very tight squeezes!

Which authors do you prefer?
Sue

Marilyne

Sue - My favorite time frame for novels, is the 1940's - before, during and after World War II.  Also fictional stories about life during the Depression years.  I also like non-fiction books written about that same era.  I love big sweeping family sagas, with interesting characters and lots of drama!
My three favorite fiction books this past year, were, The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction), The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah, and The Dutch House, by Ann Patchett.     

SCFSue

MarilynE, I've read quite a few books by Kristin Hannah and one by Ann Patchett.  I do enjoy most of the books I pick up in my local library.  I don't drive now since I had a bad fall, but have a young friend who takes me to the library on Fridays and then to Kroger for my weekly grocery shopping.  I'm not familiar with Donna Tartt, but will check her out at the library to see if they have a copy.

Sue

maryc

It's been a long time since I checked in here.   Hope the Holiday went well for all.   It was strange here as early in December I learned  that my granddaughter in San Francisco had died suddenly.  Age 30....too young!!!   The month has gone by quickly first the initial shock and then trying to support her mom as she worked through the necessary arrangements. Her ashes were delivered here to me yesterday.   They will be placed in the family plot in the summer along with her dad and grandpa and we will remember her short life and what she meant to our family.  Her only sibling, an older brother is in a nursing home there in CA.  He has Huntington's Disease as his dad did.  I spoke with my DIL about going out to be of whatever help I could  but she thought she could manage with the help of friends there.  
   Keeping interest in reading has been slow but I have a book from HOOPLA now by Lisa Wingate.   This is light reading and the story is set in the south, Texas I believe.  OH!  the title is Never Say Never.  I read several of her books a while back and enjoyed her style.   I haven't had any luck in getting The Dutch House or The Goldfinch.     I'll have to keep checking with our library.

SCFSue,  I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to drive but even more so that you were hurt to that extent.   I read about your son's special gift of the Jack Reacher collection.   That was so thoughtful of him!  Enjoy your "cache" of stories.
Mary C

Marilyne

Maryc - I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter.  What a shock for your daughter-in-law, and for you and Debby too.  What a lot of sadness, your dil has had.  I remember that your son passed away with Huntington's, but I didn't know your grandson also has it. Look for an email from me.

MarsGal

MaryC, my condolences to you and your family for the loss of your granddaughter.

I finally finished Battlefield Earth. My very favorite sequence was that of the dealings with the galactic Factors (investment bankers/lawyers). My favorite character names were Terl and Rotodeeter Snowl, pronounced like now. The narration was overall very good, but I could have done without so much grunt as background sounds. Music was just so-so, not my style. It was a surprisingly good book.

Today, I'll be downloading the next Galaxy's Edge series book to read. After that, the next SciFi will likely be to continue reading the Targon Tales series.

Now I am reading the second volume of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The discussion on The Mabiginion starts up again on Monday.

SCFSue

Good morning, Readers!  It's good to get suggestions for reading here every day.  I'll be going to the library on Friday and hope to get some interesting books to bring home.  I have several books waiting to be read because of my Christmas visit with my son.  The Help by Katherine Stockett is calling my name this morning.  I need to take my morning walk first, but will start it as soon as that is accomplished.

BTW, yesterday afternoon my friend Bonney and I went to the movie to see the "Little Women" film.  It was really good and if you have read the original, it sticks to the story very well.

Enjoy your reading, whatever you might choose!
Sue

PatH2

Oh, Maryc, I'm so sorry; what a sad loss   It's hard to think of anything else, isn't it.

FlaJean

MaryC, so sad to read of your granddaughter's passing.  She was so young.  I've post this in a different forum, but grandson has stage four cancer at 38 years old.  He is receiving treatment and we are just praying the treatment will work.

I miss chatting with you since there aren't enough of us to keep the Garden Forum going.  Visit Town Talk, Norm's Bait and Tackle forum.  There is no more Norm, but his sister Mary Ann keeps us going.  There are so few posting, it would be nice if you would join us.

I got interested in the Maisie Dobbs Series and have read all the books now.  Such good stories.  They start in the 1930s and the last one is during the last of World War II.  I'm hoping for another one this year.

SCFSue

Good morning, Readers!  It's a cold, drippy rainy day here in Auburn, Alabama.  I am dressed but won't walk this morning because of the rain.  I have plenty of books to read, so will stay inside and enjoy reading.

I hope Every One looking in has had a lovely family Christmas and will enjoy the day with relatives and friends.

Sue

maryc

Thank you all for your kind words.  The more you speak with people the more you come to realize how much heartache there is among us.  Thank goodness that we have caring friends that support us through the hard times.
Mary C

JeanneP

I put my name in at the library on Tuesday for TheDutch house. Had a long list but today see that they have it for me. Looks like it is showing as a NEW book so would just be able to get it for a week. Not good for me. Will hold for a earlier copy.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Maryc - I like your new profile picture very much! I'm so glad that Jean suggested that you join us in Norm's Bait and Tackle.  I think you know most of the members who post there?  It's completely different from Library Bookshelf, and Television, although a few  friends post in all three folders. I'll be looking in there first thing in the morning.   Now I'm heading straight for bed.  It's been a long, long day.

JeanneP - you can request The Dutch House, in large print! 

SCFSue

Good morning, fellow readers. I have a young friend who takes me to the library every Friday and to Kroger to do my weekly grocery shopping.  Because I no longer drive due to an injury to my left leg I count on him to help me with the library and Kroger visit.  He's been a life saver for me. 

Have a nice day, Every One, and enjoy your reading!
Sue

FlaJean

Sue, your posts about the Jack Reacher books sounded like something my husband would enjoy. Our library has a program called "Libby" with digital books and I noticed they have a number of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.  I downloaded one for him and he really liked it.  Now he is on another one.  Glad you mentioned the books.

JeanneP

Yes, I got The Dutch House in LP. Will start it today.
I am still fighting mu cough and cold so resting.
JeanneP

phyllis

I put a hold on The Dutch House, LP version, but it is still going to be months before I get it.  Over a hundred people ahead of me.

FlaJean, I have read so many of the Jack Reacher books and have liked all of them.  But, I refuse to watch any of the movies.  The idea of Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is so laughable that it is beyond belief.  Has your husband read any of the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connolly?  I think they are very good and the Amazon Prime TV series is probably one of the best adaptations I've ever seen of a book-to-movie series.

Interesting bit of news about my library system that I just read.  They have done away with all overdue fines.  And, extended the loan period from two weeks to three weeks per book.  I rarely have an overdue book, anyway, but it could become a problem for large families with children that often have overdue books.  The reason is that they do not want those families to stop using the library because of the accrued fines when they are the families who often need the library resources the most.  I approve of the decision very much.  When I worked at the library MANY years ago one of my jobs was to notify people of overdue books.  It wasn't one of my favorite duties.   
phyllis
Cary,NC

PatH2

It will be interesting to see how the no-fines policy affects book returns and "lost" books.

FlaJean

Phyllis, thanks for that suggestion for the Harry Bosch books.  I'm sure Larry will like them and I'm going to write Michael Connolly's name down to remind myself.  He has a few more Jack Reacher books left to read.  He recently finished all the CJ Box series about the forest ranger.  He got most of those from the library so he could read them in order.

MarsGal

Phyllis, I have yet to watch the Amazon Bosch series. I did watch a little of the first program, but seeing his naked butt not too long into the program put me off. Must of been my mood, because I don't always have that reaction. I keep wanting to try a C. J. Box book, but never seem to get around to it.

SCFSue

FlaJean, I am also a fan of C.J. Box's books about the forest ranger in Montana.  They are well written and the Ranger and his family (3 daughters) are very likable.  I have been reading that series for a number of years and the oldest daughter is now in college and wants to become a ranger, too, although she may change her mind before she graduates from college.

Sue

BTW, my son who lives near me remembered that I love Reacher--a retired military guy who spends his free time going from place to place--often on foot--and who frequently gets involved with some difficult circumstances!  So Tim spent a lot of time during December looking in thrift stores for Reacher books written by Lee Child.  I now have a large box of books with Reacher as the hero!

JeanneP

So far I am not understanding the hype about The Dutch House. I stick with it a little longer but so far nothing interesting at all. Doubt it will be made into a movie. My library had a lot of names on list but they seem to be going down fast so maybe people bringing it back soon.
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - Sorry you didn't care for The Dutch House.  We all have different tastes in books, as well a movies and television shows, which I often tend to forget.  If I'm enthusiastic about a book, I sometimes rave on and on, ad nauseam. I rarely get a comment, one way to the other, but occasionally I do.  I do like what are called "character driven books", which are usually about families, and are filled with drama and someone's personal thoughts and struggles.   Whatever style of writing we individually like, it's important to find books that we enjoy, and to keep on reading! (or listening to audio books).   

maryc

Today I picked up one of  the books I had requested from the library.  It I s The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah.  I read a few pages while having dinner and it was easy to get interested.  Marilyne, like you family stories usually grab my interest easily.   This one with the references to the PTSD and the Viet Nam war made it more interesting because I've heard this from my  nephews who suffer yet from the effects.  I'm sure it was similar from the other wars but maybe made a little more known in recent years.
Mary C

MarsGal

I sent Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. II back to the library since it seemed to be a repeat, although easier to understand, of much of Vol. I.

My current SciFi read is the Targon Tales series by Chris Reher. It mostly involves the conflicts between an allied consortium in which is primary is to promote trade and stability between a group of planets. They have an active military arm to protect themselves and their allies from marauders, pirates, et. This United Commonwealth is opposed by several different groups of "rebels" and other groups who oppose their influence for various reasons. The author is quite creative, the stories are very well done, and the characters are very interesting. Descriptions of violence/brutalization and sex are  graphic at times, but not, IMO, overly done. The books also include some romance, more than a nod to the misery and plight of those caught in the aftermath of violent conflict: death, disease and destruction.

I listened to Seamus Heaney's version of Beowulf and am now started on The Buried Book: The Loss and Rediscovery of the Epic of Gilgamesh by David Damrosch. Gilgamesh is one of my favorite epic poems.

maryc

Well!!!  Yesterday after I had been to the library to pick up The Great Alone I had another call that The Dutch House had come   I went back today to pick it up.  This is in audio format.  I set up my laptop in the kitchen where I was going to work and by the time supper was over I had finished three of the eight CDs.  It is a good story.  Thanks Marilyne for the suggestion.  I can't sit quietly to listen to a book.....I fall asleep so decided I will listen while I work and read the other book when I sit.
Mary C

Marilyne

Maryc - I'm glad you're enjoying the audio version of The Dutch House.  I've heard that Tom Hanks, does a fabulous job of reading it.  Of course he does a fabulous job with everything he undertakes. I'm looking forward to listening to it.  How does he have the time for so many projects?  He's always starring in a quality movie, and never seems to take a break before coming out in a new one.  I remember when he bought the rights to that book that we all read a couple of years ago, about the girl who had been kidnapped and raised by Indians? I've heard that he's working on that movie right now   The title was, News of the World.   

The Great Alone, is one of my three favorite novels that I read in 2019, so glad you're liking that one too.  When you finish it, you can try to tackle my third favorite - The Goldfinch.  I say "tackle", because it's so big and so long, that you really have to make a commitment! ha ha!  It's worth it though!