Random Image

Mimi last Christmas

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:04:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

I Keep adding to my order list at the library. Thing once they open up I will have so many on there that I will not need to add any for a year. I get a lot of the titles from this Forum.
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP  -  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!   :happybday:

MarsGal

Short stories worth reading. They are all three excellent. Don't let the notion that two of are SciFi. Read them anyway. You will not likely be disappointed. Minimal science in them, more human interest, empathy. 

"A Bead of Jasper, Four Small Stones" by Genevieve Valentine is about a guy who is an émigré to Europa. He is a communications technician on the night shift and communicates with a com tech in India as the Earth is being inundated with water. It is a rather poignant story with a rather startling ending given what is commanding most of the news today. http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/valentine_10_12/

"The Grinnell Method" is  by Molly Gloss. The story is about an ornithologist studying birds somewhere around the mouth of the Columbia River om Washington state during WWII. It includes sad bits, a mystery, and a young girl who shows interest in the ornithologist's work as well as the nature around her. This, of course, was back when women were still looked down on in the sciences. http://strangehorizons.com/fiction/the-grinnell-method-part-1-of-2/ Link to part two at the bottom of part 1.

Ken Liu's short story, "Mono no aware", I would add, if asked for a list of must read short stories, at or near the top of the list. It struck me as profound, a life-lesson, a life philosophy that should be on a required or included on a list of short-stories to read before you die (or more like, graduate high school/college). http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/mono-no-aware/ It was the Hugo Award winner in 2012 for best short story of the year.

Marilyne

Good Afternoon to all of our book lovers!  :)   
I received an email from maryc yesterday.  She's been looking in and able to read our messages here, but has been unable to post a message herself.  Something is wrong with her overall connection to S&F, so I'm hoping that either Bubble or Oldiesmann, can help her.  I remember reading that a couple of other members have been having similar problems.

MarsGal - I would gladly read the short stories you recommended, but will probably have to wait until the library reopens.  I do have a Kindle, but AJ ran out of reading material before I did, so he got to it first!  I really don't mind, because I'm still planning to reread more of the saved books I have in my two bookshelves.

I'm almost finished with, The Life We Bury, and I like it a lot.  It's both a family drama, as well as a mystery story, and the main characters are likable and interesting. 

I hope you're all feeling well, and are Sheltering-in-Place?  Some states are so much worse than others.

MarsGal

Marilyne, the links take you to the stories. You can read them online. I rarely do that as I prefer to read stories on my tablet or e-reader rather than on my desktop computer. Hopefully you will be able to find the anthology at your library when it opens back up. Our library website says they are closed until "at least" April 39. They added a banner at the top that says until further notice.

I finished Way Station. I am glad I reread it as I didn't remember the ending. The story is about a Civil War vet who becomes a station keeper for a galactic transportation system. Earth is not advanced enough to be invited to join the galactic union so it is all on the hush-hush. Somehow, he eventually catches the attention of the government and is being watched. He does not age when he is inside the station, so he still looks young although he is at least 130 years old. There is a local deaf-mute girl who becomes important to the story. The station itself is a modified farmhouse in back-woods country where people tend to keep to themselves. The station keeper keeps logs and journals about the visitors that pass through, and the gifts they bring and conversations he has with them. He is hopeful that the Earth will be able to join the greater galactic community and fears that wars will prevent it from entry. He puzzles out what it means to be human, what it means to be part of a greater community, and tries to understand at least one of the languages as well as tries to understand some of the science or how some of the various machines and gadgets work (more like a mechanic than a scientist in this effort). Netflix announced in 2019 that it plans to make a movie of the book. Not sure how that would work out. I suspect that at least some of the movie would include flashbacks as the station keeper rereads some of his old journal entries. I've seen a few posts from others who have read the books (like me, several times) who don't think it will make a good movie.

JeanneP

That book sounds interesting, who wrote it.
JeanneP

maryc

Good afternoon friends of the Library Bookshelf!!  I hope you are all well and staying safely at home.

I received an email from ET this morning with suggestions that would help me get straightened out here on Seniorsandfriends.   It worked.   Now I hope I can remember what she told me to do if this happens again as it has happened before.    :-[

JeanneP,  Sorry I missed your birthday.....Happy Belated one!! :hb2: It's never too late for balloons!!! 

This has been a very strange time hasn't it?    It looks like we will be doing things a little differently for some time to come.    Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I've been doing quite a bit more online ordering of necessities.   With Walmart it's like Christmas every day as many of the personal items come from different distributors and there will be a small package on my doorstep every few days. :)    Last week I did an order from Sam's Club to be picked up at the store.   It was very streamlined.  I placed the order with my Club number and CC number,  chose a pickup time.  On the selected day and time I went there, let them know by phone that I was there and shortly a young lady came out and put the order in my car....couldn't have been easier.

A friend suggested some books to me that she knew were available on HOOPLA.   I'm reading The Gown at present.  It isn't at all what I thought it might be but it is a good story.  Next up will be The Life We Bury.   She also recommended Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingslover and also an author Marie Benedict who wrote the stories about Hedy Lamar and Mrs. Churchill.  Those sound promising to me.
Mary C

FlaJean

MaryC, glad you got your problem solved.  I've been reading too much news but have read a couple of free mysteries in between.  Unfortunately, I haven't read anything that was interesting enough to recommend. 😟.  But good to hear from you!

Marilyne

Mary - Looks like your problem with S&F is solved!  I hope things continue to run smoothly for you, from here on out, and that you will be joining us on a regular basis again. 

I have mixed feelings/opinions, on the book, "The Life We Bury".  No doubt it's a good story that you will be compelled to finish . . . especially good for a debut novel.  It got all sorts of awards the year it was published - 2014. 

The only problem for me, is that I'm not fond of the suspense/thriller/mystery genre, which is the category that this story falls under.  However, there were a few things that grabbed me from the beginning, that I liked.  The main character, Joe, has a younger brother who is autistic. The author of the book must have a member of his family, with autism, because he did a good job of depicting the young boys way of talking, and his reaction to events going on around him.  I can relate to that character, and anyone else will too, who is familiar with certain autistic traits.

MarsGal - I'm no good with reading anything online that goes on longer than about five minutes.  I only have a desktop computer, and after a short time, I become uncomfortable sitting in my desk chair, and facing forward.  I think if I had a laptop, I might enjoy reading short stories, while sitting in a comfortable easy chair.  ::)    The stories you recommended sound good, and I'll add them to my list of books to get at the library when it opens again. 

MarsGal

Marilyne, same here. I do not like reading anything lengthy on the desktop. I didn't even try the laptop because the cats are always clamoring for my lap as soon as I sit down. I do still read print books, but the tablet and e-reader are my choice these days because they are so lite that the cats interfere with them the least. Lucy in particular, because she likes to nose dive under print books and push them aside with her nose.

JeanneP, if you are talking about Way Station, that was written by Clifford D. Simak. Galaxy Magazine originally published it in two installments back in 1963.

I have started re-reading The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. It is the first of a trilogy and may contain elements of the author's experiences during the Vietnam War. It speaks to the futility of war, the dehumanizing effects of war, and the treatment of returning vets (remember how poorly Vietnam Wart Vets were treated when they came homeO.

Meanwhile, I have passed the half-way mark listening to the Great Courses audio on food history. It remains a fun listen.

Marilyne

One of my all time favorite authors, Hilma Wolitzer, was recently hospitalized in NYC, with Coronavirus.  In spite of being 89 years old, she survived, and is now recuperating at home.  Unfortunately, her 90 year old husband did not survive CV, and died in the hospital last week. He was a clinical psychologist in NYC.  Their daughter, Meg Wolitzer, is also a prolific writer of novels.

Hilma, is the author of one of my top ten favorite books, Hearts, which I read in the 1980's, and have mentioned in this folder many times over the years.   Such a good story, and I know many of you would enjoy reading it.  She's written many other good novels, such as, Tunnel of Love, and, An Available Man.  Can't think of the others right now, but there are many. 

Daughter Meg, has also written many popular books, one of which, The Wife, was made into a movie last year.  The  star, Glenn Close,  was nominated for both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe, for Best Actress.  She won the Golden Globe Award.  I read the book, and it was excellent. I would definitely recommend it, and I think you'd all like it as well.  The movie is good too.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  thanks for mentioning "The Wife".  I just did a search for the e-book through my library and it was available!  Have now checked it out.....
....in addition to ones I checked out yesterday via a search for "new e-books".  There were several pages and I'm sure the list went far enough back to question the "new".  :)

"The Matriarch"  (a biography of Barbara Bush by Susan Page, who had many interviews with Barbara Bush, her family and friends.)
"Window On The Bay"  ("chick flick"  ;)  by Debbie Macomber - published in 2019)
"Dear Senator" (a biography/memoir of Strom Thurmond by his daughter, Essie Mae Washington Williams.  No reason to get this one except it looked interesting and I'm in the mood for biographies.)

FlaJean

I just borrowed "The Wife" by Meg Wolitzer from our library digital program "Libby" and am anxious to get started on it.  The picture on the cover looks like a partial picture Glen Close.  I notice at the top it says a major motion picture by Sony Classics.

I'm want to read "The Matriarch".  But I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it, Callie.  Susan Page is presently working on a biography of Nancy Pelosi.

CallieOK

Jean, that's the same edition I got.  There was another one without the picture but it would have to be on hold.
Interesting that Susan Page is writing about Pelosi.  Wonder how many interviews she'll get for that?

FlaJean

I really didn't enjoy "The Wife".  I don't like her "turn of phrase" when describing incidents.  I guess she just isn't my type of author.  I think I could use a good old mystery.

Marilyne

Callie and Jean - I'm really interested in what you both have to say about The Wife.  I was not crazy about the book, but I didn't dislike it either.  One of those books that kind of falls in the middle, and is quickly forgotten.   Not good enough that I would want to read it again, however, I did read it to the end. 

It did make a pretty good movie, but not the style of film that draws a wide range of viewers. I've read other novels by Meg,  but can't think of the titles at the moment.  She has had a couple of best sellers.  "The Wife", was not a best seller.

I much prefer the writings of her Mother, Hilma.  Maybe it's because we're in the same generation?  Hilma's writing style is different from Meg's.   

CallieOK

"The Wife" just appeared in my Loans this morning. 

Finished the Debbie Macomber one last night and am now trying to finish ""Forbidden Ground", the 3rd in a series by Karen Harper. Will probably do that tonight and then alternate between "The Wife" and "Matriarch". 

Is the movie on Netflix?

I sent "Dear Senator" back and will probably put it on my Wish List. 

MarsGal

I am reading the Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka. It is an historical drama set in the second half of the 1800s in Japan. It begins five years after Commodore Perry opened up Japan to trade, etc. and the Samurai/Warlord system is starting to crumble in the face of Western ideas and weaponry. This story revolves around a particular Warlord and several missionaries. Most of the characters are moderately likeable; none stand out more than others. Several of the American missionaries are using the mission to escape bad situations back in America rather than for any real religious fervor. The young warlord is from a long line of prophets, but which sound more like mental illness (schizophrenia?) to me. It is holding my attention.

I am also am reading The Red Planet by William John Locke. No, it is not Scifi, it is, in fact, another historical novel. Set in a village during WWI, it follows a disabled vet of the Boer Wars. He is something of a busybody, very opinionated (especially when it comes to one's duty to the country and in giving advice). There is also something of a mystery evolving regarding a young woman who supposedly drowned accidentally several years prior to the beginning of the narrative. I am very much enjoying this one.

FlaJean

The Red Planet sounds interesting.  The digital books in "Libby" are limited but I'll check and see if it is listed.

FlaJean

Marsgal, got The Red Planet by Locke for free from iBooks.

MarsGal

Good, Jean. I was just going to say that I think I got my copy from Project Gutenberg, but I see you found a copy already. I still haven't figured out why it is titled The Red Planet unless it is some reference to the huge number of deaths the war caused.

JeanneP

I just have not found a book I spend hours reading. Has to be on y IPad . I have so many on my list for pick up at library once they open.
They  seem now to be showing all the new books now athe library only on a reader of some kind. They have a siting list also.

JeanneP

MarsGal

I've finished The Red Planet. I enjoyed the story, loved the use of some old words we seldom if every see anymore, didn't love the way women and young folks were treated condescendingly at times, and especially didn't love the old view that men would be men and women were at fault if men took advantage of them. My, have we changed our attitudes over the last hundred years, at least on the surface.

Now on to H. Beam Piper's Space Viking. I am barely into it, but had to share this phrase from the second line with you which, to me, feels so alive I can almost hear it. "Behind, the broad leaved shrubbery gossiped softly with the wind..." I just love the visual and auditory imagery of a steady gentle breeze passing through shimmering/shivering leaves. 

FlaJean

I had another book to finish so I just started The Red Planet.  I'm enjoying it.  Things have changed a lot since the book was written.

MarsGal

Before lunch, I finished my library read, Cloud of Sparrows and am about to borrow the second one, Autumn Bridge even though I have some mixed feelings about the book, which is probably because I was uncomfortable with the portrayal of the missionaries. The leader was a strict fire and brimstone type, one was running away from abuse, and one was on a private mission of his own for revenge. Several of the characters picked up each others' language much more quickly than you would expect in the time span of the book. Literary license there, I expect, to move the plot along quickly. The supporting characters were good, and many of the scenes were well done. The way the paragraphs ran, it was sometimes hard to distinguish at first who was doing the talking in back and forth conversations. This is a story about relationships, mysterious family history/legends/prophecies, and transitions. Now I am off to find nonfiction books on the late Shogun period and the opening up of Japan to the West. 

MarsGal

Okay, so I have not yet started Autumn Bridge. Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice dropped in on me before I started, so I couldn't resist reading that first.

What an interesting novel. Not so much because of the story itself, but the main character especially holds my attention. Now, I am not at all into Zombies, the Walking Dead or their equivalents, but it took a little while to figure out that is just about what the main character/narrator is, or at least, his body is. So, now I am hooked. Part of the "corpse corps" he/she/it once controlled twenty bodies at once, and before that a ship for around a thousand years. The story unwinds by swinging back and forth between past and present. The description of the character reminds me of something between the Borg and the adherents of the Underverse from Chronicles of Riddick. I have yet to get to how this mind got from "being" a ship, then a commander of 20 bodies, and then got disconnected from the rest. The book is also something of a gender bender.

Ancillary Justice, which was Leckie's debut novel won the 2014 Hugo Award for "Best Novel", the Nebula Award, the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the Locus Award, the BSFA Award, and four others. Quite an accomplishment.  Her next two in the series, Ancillary Sword also won the BSFA Award , and both it and Ancillary Mercy garnered the Locus Award.

FlaJean

I finished The Red Planet.  While this book was not about WWI but about the people in a small English village during WWI, it did give me a slightly different view of the war than I have read previously.  The book was written in a different era but I enjoyed and thought it was well written.

I downloaded two inexpensive "mini" books by Martin Walker about a French policeman named Bruno.  They are a pleasant read and IMO give a nice glimpse of what life is like in a small French town.  I've read several of his books from the library, however, the library is still closed and I couldn't find any digital books.

"Martin Walker is the Senior Director of the Global Business Policy Council (GBPC). Walker has written several books. He is the author of the 'Bruno' detective series set in the Périgord region of France, where Walker has a holiday home." from Fantastic Fiction

angelface555

MarsGal, I sent you a PM regarding Kelly.

MarsGal

Well, that didn't take long. I have finished Ancillary Justice already. Very well done. I highly recommend it for those who don't mind the narrator's present/past remembrance switches and attempts to fit into a "gender-blind" society. There is an interview at the end where Leckie explains how she came up with and dealt with the main character narration. In her Acknowledgements section, she had high praise for libraries stating that "...I'm not sure it's possible to have too many of them". I have the next in the series on hold.  Her newest book, The Raven Tower, published just last year is getting some high praises also. It is a fantasy.

Marilyne

Hello everyone!  I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been reading the messages every day, and keeping a long list of your recommendations.  Our library is still closed, but when it finally opens, I'll be more than ready!

In the meantime, I'm continuing to reread some of my old favorites, and enjoying them even more than I originally did.  I have a mix of classics as well as newer fiction and non fiction.  I recently finished one of my oldies, Willa Cather's, My Antonia.  I've read it many times over the years, and love the story, and all the characters.  A pleasure to read again and again.

Yesterday, our son came over and left a large grocery bag, filled with books, that belong to my dil's sister.  They've been circulating around the family for a couple of weeks, and now it's my turn!  It's really fun to suddenly have so many books to choose from . . . most titles I don't recognize. Like a little mobile library has arrived!  :)