Random Image

Tom & Tiger 2017

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:49:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

PatH2 - I love that word, "overawed"!  I'm going to use it in conversation, ASAP!  8)

MarsGal - I agree with Pat.  I'm truly impressed that you can listen to, and also read, so many books within the same time frame.  Something I've never been able to do.  A true example of multi-tasking!

I've gone into another slump, as far as reading is concerned. Since I finished "Cruel, Beautiful World", I haven't picked up another book. I have a couple of novels here that I started, but didn't read more than a chapter.  The stories just didn't grab my interest, but I may have to give them another look.         

maryc

Marsgal,   I liked listening to the audios while working on my jigsaw puzzles too.   It's almost time for me to "dedicate" my dining room table to the winter puzzles. :)  
Marilyne,   I'm about halfway through Cruel Beautiful World.   Not moving too fast but it is a good story.  Iris is such a good person!!   My reading buddy here at home has given me a couple of titles to check on when this is finished.  I just stopped tis writing for a minute to look at my HOOPLA list of favorites and found that there are quite a few good ideas there for fiction-non fiction and also some audios that look promising.   Sometimes I takes the time to just browse the HOOPLA titles and mark as favorites for later.  It's almost like a trip to the library. :D

Has anyone heard from FlaJean or JeanneP or any of the other regulars here?  It's been a long time.
Mary C

FlaJean

Maryc, I've read over a hundred books in the last couple of months.  Most of them are older books of authors of years gone by written in the 20s, 30s, and 40s.

I did read a couple of books lately by Debbie Macomber about Alaska---"Alaska Home" and "Alaska Nights" about 3 brothers who start a local airplane service and advertise in the states to try to get more women in town.  Both books were "delightful" with a little comedy and romance thrown in.

Marilyne

Jean - I guess it's a toss-up, as to who has read the most books - you or MarsGal?!  :D   It's very impressive that you've read over a hundred books in the past couple of months! 
I also enjoy reading novels written in the 1930's, 40's and 50's.  Did you ever read "Rebecca", by Daphne du Maurier?  I read the book long ago, and also saw the Hitchcock movie that won so many awards in 1940.  Now I see that it has been made into a brand new movie, and its playing on Netflix!  I've read lots of reviews in the past couple of days, and they are mostly quite favorable.  Of course it's being compared with the original, starring Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine.  The Netflix movie is British, so I don't recognize the names of the actors.  We will probably watch it this weekend.

FlaJean

Marilyne, I've read "Rebecca" several times and have seen the movie.  I didn't know a new movie was made.  I'll check it out on Netflix.  I guess you can tell I'm not really a movie fan and usually prefer books.  However, I think the movies made from John Grisham's books are usually better than his books.  I also thought Hidden Figures was much better as a movie.

phyllis

Rebecca has always been my alltime favorite book since I read it back in the 40's so I was excited when I learned a new movie of it was coming out.  I watched it on Netflix and I'm sorry but I was terribly  disappointed.  I've read several critics' reviews, Marilyne, that panned it badly and I have to agree with them all.  The part of the second Mrs. de Winter is played by the young actress. Lily James, and she is so miscast, IMO.  She is the same actress who played Lady Rose in Downton Abbey.  She was good in that part but I didn't think she fit this part of the second Mrs. de Winter at all!  They changed the ending from the book and it damaged the story a lot.  The scenery was beautiful, however, and that is about the only good thing I have to say about the production.  :-\ 
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

Phyllis - I'm almost afraid to watch the new, "Rebecca", because I personally feel that nothing can ever compare with the original, when it comes to any remake of good quality old movie.  Like you, I loved the book!  I didn't see the movie until it was re-released, in the early 50's, and I loved it as well.  Since then, I've seen it a number of times on Turner Classic Movies.  It doesn't play as often as the newer Hitchcock films, but it does roll around once or twice a year.

Out of curiosity, I will watch the Netflix movie, but my expectations are not high.  When I stop and think that the original movie is now  80 years old,  it makes me realize that there are only a few of us who remember it, or who have actually seen it.  So the new version, with the same story, will probably be popular with all of the many generations who have followed since ours.  Lily James,  who plays the second Mrs. de Winter, is a very popular star in the UK right now.  I've seen her in just about every British movie or TV series within the past couple of years.  Kristin Scott Thomas, who plays Mrs. Danvers, is a good actress, and probably does a credible job  . . . but can anyone come close to the portrayal of Mrs. Danvers, by Dame Judith Anderson??   I think not!

maryc

Good to see the posts from FlaJean and Phyllis.  Still wondering about JeanneP.      FlaJean,  you really have been on a reading binge!! :2funny:    I hope you are well otherwise.
Mary C

Marilyne

Phyllis  -  Just getting back to you about  Rebecca!  I was hoping to like the new version, but I was disappointed. It just didn't have that spellbinding Hitchcock touch!   The actor I liked the least was Armie Hammer, who played Maxim DeWinter.  He wasn't convincing at all, and lacked the sophistication of Laurence Olivier.  Kristen Scott Thomas was quite good as Mrs. Danvers, and Lily James, was okay, but too childlike?  The new version might be quite popular with the younger generations, who have never read the book, or seen the original movie.
I did enjoy the clothes, the scenery, and of course, Manderlay! 

I looked on my Comcast "search",  to see if the original is available to rent?  Unfortunately,  it isn't.  However, I did see that there is another version, produced in 1997,  starring Charles Dance, Emilia Fox, and Diana Rigg, as Mrs Danvers!  That's a good cast, and sounds worthy of watching! Diana Rigg would be great, and Charles Dance has the perfect British aristocratic presence!  He was wonderful in,  The Crown, playing Lord Mountbatten!  I'm sure I will rent that version at some time in the future.

phyllis

Marilyne, the Rebecca version with Charles Dance is pretty good and he actually looked the part.  Armand Hammer didn't and IMO didn't even try to act the part, either.  Diana Rigg did a surprisingly good job as Mrs. Danvers in the Charles Dance version, I thought. 

In the Hitchcock version I never liked Olivier because he was not a favorite of mine in any part that he did in spite of his immense popularity, but Hitchcock's direction, as always, was perfect....or, nearly perfect. And Judith Anderson will always be Mrs. Danvers, in my mind.  Since Rebecca is my favorite book of all time I'm probably 'way too critical of any movie production of it.   ::)
phyllis
Cary,NC

MarsGal

My reading/listening has slowed down for a couple of days now. Two days ago, I finished the last of the Norse saga audio books I borrowed. The next chapter of the Silk Roads audio book needs attention. I just haven't felt like getting into this next chapter yet as it is an hour and a half in length. I rather dislike stopping in the middle of a chapter, but I may just have to go ahead and risk having to to it in order to move ahead with the book.

I am now reading the most recent download from my library holds called The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord. It is a social scifi about (so far) refugee immigration and assimilation. It looks like the beginnings of a possible romance too, but it is too early to tell. Meanwhile, my monthly Prime lending library book is waiting, and two others started but temporarily put aside.

Marilyne

Hello Booklovers!  I haven't posted, because I haven't been reading much at all in recent weeks.  For some reason, I can't seem to find a book that holds my interest for long, although I think I've found a couple that I've been enjoying this past week. 

Remember a few years ago, when many of us read,  The Orphan Train,  plus other books about that shameful time in our history?  Children were abandoned or given away by their families, and many ended up on the orphan trains, in hopes of being adopted by a kind loving family.  Some realized that dream, but others were not so lucky.    My dil gave me a non-fiction book, called "We Rode The Orphan Trains", by Andrea Warren.  She interviewed  dozens of older people in the late 1990's and early 2000's, who rode those trains when they were children, and compiled this short history on some of them who are/were still living to tell their stories.  Fascinating short accounts of how each one happened to end up on the trains, and what happened when they were "adopted".  Photographs of most of them when they were children.

The only other book I have is,  The Paris Architect, by Charles Balfoure.  It's a  novel, that takes place in 1942,  when Paris was occupied by the Nazi's.  I started it a couple of days ago, and looks like it's going to be as good one.

I've been  "vegging out" in front of the TV most afternoons.  I have dozens of good movies and programs  recorded off of a variety of different channels, so this is a good time to catch up and enjoy.  I'd love to be out browsing through the library, or any number of other activities, but we're under another strict Covid lockdown here, so we have to make the best of what's available.

MarsGal

Not much to report on the reading front except that I am listening to a Nero Wolfe book. I finished listening to The Fractal Prince which had interesting bits but was fairly incomprehensible. In Wikipedia's description of the book, it mentions several books and authors that influenced this second book. One is The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki (also now residing in my wish list) and another, The Arabian Nights. The last of the series is The Causal Angel. It is apparently read by someone other than Scott Brick, so maybe I will not be lulled to sleep by such a mesmerizing voice.

As for my E-reading, I am into a SciFi series by M. R. Forbes. It is not as interesting as the first series I read by the author. Real print book is Hellbender by C. J. Cherryh

MarsGal

Okay, time for an update, I guess.

I didn't finish the M. R. Forbes series; didn't even finish the first book. Almost done with Hellbender and have started the last of the Great Library of Alexandria series that was written by the late Rachel Caine who passed away on Nov. 1. Haven't listened to any audio books in a few days. The Silk Roads audio book is up to modern times now and I am not inclined to listen to that just now since I am much more interested in ancient and medieval history.

maryc

Hello everyone!   Just checking in to see what is being read here.  :)     For myself,  I'm about halfway through MY DEAR HAMILTON by Stephanie Dray.   For those who enjoy I'm historical fiction you might find this interesting.   It's told from the view of Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton.  The person who recommended to me said that she couldn't get into the book HAMILTON but found this one more interesting.
   I have found that between the bad news of Covid-19 and the excitement of the election,  it has been hard to read for pleasure more than a little bit at a time so the reading is slow.
   Thanksgiving plans have been strange this year.   Debby and I are having our dinner together but not with the larger family group.   We are doing some  baking to share with people we know who are alone.   I questioned myself about sharing food but think that the benefit outweighs the risk in this case.   I'm fortunate to have Debby close by.
  Happy Thanksgiving to any and all who visit here.   Stay well!
Mary C

PatH2

Maryc 
QuoteI have found that between the bad news of Covid-19 and the excitement of the election,  it has been hard to read for pleasure more than a little bit at a time so the reading is slow.
You're speaking for all of us, Mary.  That's why no one's posting.

I'm fine, no particular news here.  Tomorrow, if the weather lets us, a small group of friends will gather on a lawn and sit 6 feet apart, masked, and chat for a while over snacks, then go our separate ways to our own modest plans.

maryc

Thank you for the beautiful new page layout here.   It was a lovely surprise today!!!

Pat H.,I like to hear about the interesting ways that people have planned to get together safely with friends.   Our Bereavement group met at Ft. Niagara State Park in the warm months.  Everyone really enjoyed being out there by the Lake.   Recently we have met (masked) in the large Fellowship Hall at our church where there is lot of room for distancing and also have some windows open for a good change of air.  That could change if the church building has to close for any gatherings.  My daughter's choirs have had some interesting innovations.   The bell choir again meets at the Fellowship hall with each person having their own table spaced apart.  The director has filmed their practice and uses it for the online service.   The chancel choir meet by Zoom but then they have taped their own singing individually and the director has created a Zoom choir.   She has worked hard at keeping  the music for streamed services interesting.
Mary C

Marilyne

Hello to Mary, MarsGal and Pat:  It's been a couple of weeks since I posted here, but have read all of your messages when they were posted. 

Mary - sounds like you and Debby spent a pleasant Thanksgiving together, and I'm sure you enjoyed  a nice meal . . .  as AJ and I did.  It sure was quiet this year, compared to all TG's from the past, but was for the best.  We've all lived long enough to have lots of wonderful memories.

MarsGal - I saw in B&T, that you were busy feeding George's cats over the holiday, but not getting together with your sister and bil this year.  I hope you had some festive food to enjoy?

Pat - It looked like you were planning some social interaction with friends, even though you were unable to have Thanksgiving dinner together?     
Does anyone remember back a couple of years ago, when many of us read the memoir,  Hillbilly Elegy,  by J.D. Vance?  I remember liking it, but found it to be quite sad and hopeless.  It's been made into a Netflix movie, and I watched it last night.  I was so impressed with the actors, and how they depicted the characters from the book.    Glenn Close, played Vance's grandmother, Mamaw, and Amy Adams, played his drug addicted mother.    They are both excellent actors, and did some of their best work on this movie, I thought.    I'm sure they will be up for Emmy Awards next season. The boy who played Vance, as a child, was also good.  It was very much worth watching, if you like a good drama, which I do.  The movie had more of a hopeful ending. 

JeanneP

Thanks Bubble. See my new face showing up. We all must be getting our hair cut shorter and shorter these days. I got one to last for 60 days as all all shut down again. She over did but will grow out.
JeanneP

phyllis

Regarding Hillbilly Elegy. Sorry, Marilyne, you and I often agree but I'm not with you on this one.  I read the book...or ended up scanning to the ending....and watched about a half-hour of the movie before deciding that there is enough depressing "stuff" in the daily news without using my "entertainment" time to watch even more depressing "stuff".  Glenn Close did well in the part and Amy Adams, too, but the whole theme just wasn't my cup of tea.  Whiny, is the word one critic used and I agree with that.  And one article writer, who was raised in similar circumstances, wrote this scathing critique:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/netflix-s-hillbilly-elegy-turns-my-community-s-human-anguish-ncna1248890

Even the CNN reviewer called it a "dreary movie".
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Marilyne and Phyllis, my book club had read/discussed "Hillbilly Elegy" but, like Phyllis, I had skipped to the ending after I was about half-way through. 
Started watching the movie last night and turned it off at about the same point. (haven't figured out how to Fast Forward on Netflix). 

Started to share my opinion but deleted comments because they would not be at all "p.c.". 
Onward and Upward.

Marilyne

Phyllis and Callie - I debated whether to even mention "Hillbilly Elegy", in this folder, for a number of reasons.   I didn't mean to give the impression that I was recommending the book or the movie.   I really only wanted to heap lots of praise on Glenn Close, and Amy Adams.  I thought they did an incredible job of portraying the two women in Vance's memoir.  From what I remember about his book, the movie followed the story.

Before watching, I read some reviews from different publications that I follow online, and most were favorable.  I don't know anything about life in that part of our country, but I do believe that drug addiction, and all the problems it presents, is pervasive in most of the 50 states.  Certainly has been a serious problem here in California for the past 15 or so years. 

Phyllis - I read the review you posted, and the first thing that came to mind, was that the reviewer is a very angry man.  He was furious, in his hatred of the book, the movie, and even had to throw some blame in the direction of Trump!  ::)

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I'm glad you did.  I was interested in learning what other readers-like-me (i.e. not reviewers or critics)  thought about it.

I had watched as much of the movie as I did on t.v.  Pulled Netflix up on Tablet and was able to "scroll" to the end. The comments and pictures that accompanied the final credits were interesting.

Back to books..... :) ... I'm ready to start a Fannie Flagg that I haven't read..."The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop".  Had recently reread her "A Redbird Christmas" and read "Mistletoe Miracles", #7 in Jody Thomas' Ransom Canyon series.  Both Christmas themed ("sort of" for "MM"  ;) ).

Off to read in my sunny window - for as long as it lasts before the sun goes behind the trees.

FlaJean

I'm probably behind times again but I just read that Tom Hanks is starring in "News of the World".  It opens Christmas Day and I think will be on Netflix at some point.  I really enjoyed that book and now that Tom Hanks has aged, I can see him in that role.

MarsGal

Jean, the movie is going to be a must see for me (eventually). Tom Hanks is a very good choice for the lead role. Sam Elliot would have been super too. News of the World is one of the first audio books I listened to. Excellent story, excellent narrator, and I expect on less from Hanks and the movie.

Last night I listened to a chapter of a Medieval history audio book I had previously started, and also began listening to one of the Dalai Lama's books, Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions by H.H. the Dalai Lama and Ven Thubten Chodron.

phyllis

Callie, thanks for reminding me of Fannie Flagg.  I liked her both as a performer and as an author.  I need to check the library catalog.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

I also like every book written by Fannie Flagg,  and Redbird Christmas is one of my favorites.  I'm on the wait list at the library for it, but I think I'm going to order a copy from Amazon, instead.  I promised myself I would buy no more books . . . but that's a special one that I can give to my daughter after I read it.  In fact, I think I'll order one for both of my girls, and my dil too!  Good Christmas gifts!

Maryc  - Remember how much you and I enjoyed,  The Whole Town is Talking, by Fannie Flagg?  For those of you who like her stories, and her characters, I think you'll love this one.   It's a feel good story, that's especially enjoyed by us older folks! 

MarsGal  - I'm very excited that the movie News of the World will finally be released!  I loved that book so much, and could always picture Tom Hanks, in the leading roll.  I didn't listen to the audio book, but I remember that he was the narrator, and you said he did an outstanding job.

The only problem, is that it will be playing in theaters, and unlikely that any of us will going to a movie theater, anytime soon.  We'll have to wait for it to show up on Netflix I guess. 

Phyllis  - I don't remember if you read it, back when we were all talking about it?  If not, I really think you'll like it too.  Although it's not a Christmas theme story,  there's something very uplifting about it.   

phyllis

News of the World sounds perfect.  I had to put a Hold on the e-book and I am 15th on the list but that's ok.  I'll get it eventually.  Thanks for reminding me about it, Marilyne.  I'll have to go to Thrift Books for A Redbird Christmas because my library no longer has it in their catalog.   (And I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more books either.....but, I still do.  <sigh>
phyllis
Cary,NC

Tomereader1

Gals, I had always pictured Sam Elliot as The Captain in News of the World. The voice alone should have gotten him the part! LOL. Plus, if you've read the book, you know that the Captain had been in the Civil War, and it would have made his character older than Hanks appears.  Plus, the Captain always mentions about how he is aging.  But, I guess since Hanks bought the rights to the film, he can play the part if he wants to, na, na, na, na, nah! I will certainly watch it, whenever we can get it through whatever medium we can.  If it goes to TV it will probably be on HBO, which I don't subscribe to.

MarsGal

Oops, Marilyne, I didn't mention the narrator's name. It wasn't Tom Hanks. Grover Gardner did the narrating. He is one of the very best narrators in the business, IMO. He got his start doing narration for the Library of Congress' Reading for the Blind program. Gardner is Studio Manager at Blackstone Audio which is why, I suppose, you can often here him at the beginning and end of audio books "Blackstone Audio presents..." and "We hope you have enjoyed..."