Random Image

April Snow 007.jpg

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

MarsGal - I just got an email notice from Amazon, that the final season of The Man in the High Castle, (Philip Dick), will start on November 15th, on the Amazon Prime channel.  I know I've been talking about it and recommending it for the past couple of years, but no one else has ever mentioned giving it a look?  I don't think it's been a big hit, because the vast/majority of TV watchers don't remember WWII, and are not interested in the idea that there could've been a different outcome.  That's what the story is about . . . USA and allies lost the War, and are now living under German and Japanese rule. 

Yesterday I went to the library, and selected a stack of books from the "new" section . . . one being the latest Joyce Carol Oates, novel, My Life As A Rat.  I started it last night, and I think I'm going to like it.  She's written dozens of books, and I've read and liked many of them and others,  not so much.  Some of her stories are just too dark and hopeless for me, but this one seems to have an unusual theme going for it, so I'll give it a chance.       

MarsGal

I listened to "Minority Report" this afternoon, and was surprised that I liked it. The next story, which I have started, is the one upon which the movie Total Recall is based. It is also good, and is actually helping me to understand the movie a bit better. These are the first two short stories Philip K. Dick wrote that I liked. I also started reading A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World by William J. Bernstein, but am not very far into it yet.

Tomereader1

Marilyne, I had watched Season 1 of Man in the High Castle, and thought I had watched Season 2.  Last night I tuned in to Season 3 and found out there was a lot that I missed, so I went back to Season 2. (FYI: on my HD TV the sound is rotten on this one, had to turn volume up to 34, and the picture is dark, almost sepia-toned) Anyway, I had missed a lot of stuff, so back to Season 2 tonight.  I am busy watching the new season of Jack Ryan, spy/action genre.  It's okay, but fairly predictable.  I've got to get back to Mrs. Maisel!

JeanneP

Jean. She is not going to like that temp.in Florida. Still better than here in Illinois. Right now it is snowing and my car alread covered. Down in the 30s.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning!  It's a chilly day here in Auburn, Alabama.  I am not fond of chilly weather, but I won't be outside much today as I have a bridge date after lunch.  I will dig out a sweater to wear to the bridge club.  I need to get into the shower and find something to wear to the bridge game.

I'm currently reading a David Baldacci novel--which is pretty interesting and I'm enjoying it. I probably won't finish it today because of the outing to play bridge. 

Have a nice day and Happy Reading to everyone who loves to read.
Sue

Marilyne

I'm about 3/4 of the way through My Life As a Rat, by Joyce Carol Oates.  I like it the way I like all of JCO's novels . . . disturbing and dark, but very compelling stories.  Once you start one of her books, you can't stop!  I would recommend it, but only if you're familiar with JCO, and like her style of writing. 

maryc - Like many of her novels, this one takes place in an area near to where you live . . . South Niagara?  I don't know if such a city really exists, but I do remember that JCO has written other books that take place there.  I read The Falls, a number of years ago, and liked it.

Tome - I'm planning on reading, The Man in the High Castle, and not waiting for the series to continue, to find out what happens.  Too long between seasons, on all the TV series.  Now it's taking at least a year, and sometimes longer, for the next episode, on any of the shows. 

SCFSue - Which of the Baldacci novels are you reading??  I've read lots of them over the years, and so has my husband.  Some I liked a lot, and others I didn't like and didn't even finish.  At the moment, I can't recall the titles of my favorites?

MarsGal

I am close to finishing Broken Angels by Richard Morgan. This is the second of a series starting with Altered Carbon. All I can say is Wow. While Altered Carbon was essentially a noir style murder mystery/detective story wrapped up in a trans-human package, Broken Angels is about an archaeological find left long ago by Martians on a planet currently at war. All the elements are there: the civilian archaeologist and her helpers, the corporate backer expecting a big payday and the military wanting the advanced technology and weaponry the site promises to provide. Oh, and throw in some moral and religious posturing.It is hard to imagine that Morgan can top this one.

Starship Troopers is okay, but it is slow to grow on me. The narrator is also just okay enough to keep me listening. The beginning of the story reminds me of one of my favorite SciFi series, Frontlines, by Marko Kloos. Both begin with young recruits and follow them through basic and beyond. While there are many differences, I have to wonder if Kloos got his inspiration from Heinlein's book. But then, there are more than a few SciFi books that follow recruits through their schooling and careers. I am going to keep the series in mind as I continue to listen to the Audiobook.

SCFSue

MarilynE, I finished Baldacci's Absolute Power last night.  It is a powerful novel with lots of intrigue.  It is lengthy, but worth the time it took to read it.  The hero is a good one and in the end, the "BAD GUY" (the President of the U.S.) gets his come-uppance--although it was touch and go for quite a few pages!

If you enjoy intrigue, you'll probably like this book.
Sue

Marilyne

Sue - My husband read Baldacci's, "Absolute Power", and thought it was excellent. It's been returned to the library, so I'll have to put it on my next library book order, and see how I like it. Keep us posted on other books that you're reading or that you would recommend.

I finished JCO's, "My Life As A Rat". A great story, that grabbed me immediately, and never let go!  There was one small part that I could have done without, but the rest of the story was gripping, to say the least! AS the ending drew near, I was starting to relax, because it was looking like it would end the way I was hoping it would . . . but NO!  In typical Joyce Carol Oates style, she ended with a surprise twist.     

MarsGal

Okay, so I gave up on Starship Troopers already, at least for now. I may grab an Ebook, but the narrator of the Audiobook was just a bit to bland to make it interesting.

Now I am back to listening to Stealth War: How China Took Over While America's Elite Slept by Brigadier General (Ret) Robert Spalding. https://books.google.com/books/about/Stealth_War.html?id=xRaZDwAAQBAJ&source=kp_book_description  It is a bit alarming, but as I listen, I realized that I came to the same or similar conclusions he did in chapter 2 of the book when I was reading volume 1 of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Haven't decided what book to read next. I am toying with the idea of reading a Western. Another Zane Grey or Max Brand? Or reread The Virginian? One of the old novels that I have accumulated from Project Guttenberg which are set in the western Canadian provinces, or one of the modern Westerns? Decisions, decisions.

Marilyne

MARS GAL - Yesterday I was scrolling through my list of TV programs that have been saved on our DVR.  One of them is The Virginian.  I'm assuming this is a movie adaptation of the book that you're considering reading?   I'll take a look later at my DVR, and see what it's all about?   Another one that you mentioned, that sounds very worthy, is Stealth War: How China Took Over While America's Elite Slept, is a subject that has been bothering me for some time. People don't seem to be concerned about it?  I would like to know why that is?

maryc

Marilyne,  Your conversation about Joyce Carol Oates got me thinking and so I check out her "bio".   Sure enough she was born in Lockport, NY.  Lockport is about 30 minutes east of us here in Lewiston.  Some of our family live out there.   Her first book that I read was We Were the Mulvaneys and I thought she really took a lot of liberty with the names and places here in WNY.  I know that is priviledge when writing a novel but in my mind I was placing a certain town in one area and she was miles away! I believe that I read Niagara about the time that you did.  That was a sad sad story though did cover quite a bit of history about Niagara Falls and surrounds  (Love Canal)
   A while back I mentioned another novel written about the Falls but from the Canadian side.  It was The Day the Falls Stood Still.   That story was about the famous  William "Red" Hill  a riverman who like his father and grandfather studied the river and made many daring rescues along it.  In that book there was a true account  of a dredging barge working above the Falls.  Somehow it broke loose from the Tug that anchored it in place. Red Hill  made a startling rescue of the two men who were stranded on that barge.   The barge has sat grounded just above the Falls for 100 years until just a couple weeks ago when it was dislodged from it's mooring during a fierce windstorm.  If you are interested there are a couple news youtubes about this latest event and in one of them the great grandson of the hero is interviewed.   I don't suppose this would be big news across the country but because so many have travelled miles to see the Falls many would be familiar with the sight of the old scow.
  Now I'm reading a book titled The Fifteen Wonders of Daniel Green by Erica Boyce.  It is kind of an ordinary story but is about  persons who secretly create  Crop Circles across the country.  That news has kind of gone on the back burner for a while but this book does make you wonder. :)
Mary C

FlaJean

MaryC, Larry and I spent our honeymoon at the Canadian Falls.  Beautiful area.  I did read about that barge a couple a weeks ago.  Sounds like an interesting book.  I like to true stories like that.  I'll see if our library has a copy.  Maybe I can find a digital copy.

FlaJean

MaryC, the only book I can find with that title (The Day the Falls Stood Still) is a fictional love story.

maryc

FlaJean, The book I spoke of was written by Cathy Marie Buchanan.  It was a work of fiction but the story was about real people and events.  The private girl's school, Loretto Academy mentioned in the beginning of the story was still operating in Niagara Falls Ontario up until a few years ago.  I believe it is available online.  I just happened across it in our library.
Mary C

Marilyne

Jean - The novel by J.C. Oates, that takes place at Niagara Falls, is just called, The Falls.  It's a fairly recent book, I think, so you should be able to get it at the library. She is such a prolific writer, that I can't keep up with her many books.  There are a couple of her early novels that I read many years ago, that made a big impression on me, that I would like to read again.

maryc - Interesting that JCO, was born so close to Lewiston. Maybe some of your relatives in Lockport, went to school with her and remember her?  I recall a jacket on one of her books, that said she lives in New York now, but doesn't say which city.  I think you might like, My Life As a Rat, which is her newest novel. It's a great story . . . a little quirky and offbeat, like most of her stories, but sure does hold your interest!

This afternoon, I'm starting a novel by Sandra Dallas, called True Sisters.  I always enjoy reading her books . . . my favorites being Alice's Tulips, and Tallgrass.   Just remembering those two books, makes me think about how totally opposite she is from JCO!  A real contrast in writing styles!         

maryc

Marilyn,  My family has not been in the Lockport area long enough to have known J.C.O.  😊   Speaking of local writers and such there was a book out several years ago by Catherine Gildinger called Too Close to the Falls.  Of course I rushed to read it as she and I shared a maiden name (no relation)  Catherine grew up in Lewiston and later work as a psychologist in Toronto then at age 50. turned to writing. Her story about Lewiston was a memoir(with a twist 😱).
Mary C

MarsGal

I picked up two books at the library this morning: Makers of Ancient Strategy from the Persian Wars to the Fall of Rome edited by Victor Davis Hanson and Invisible Planets: An Anthology of Contemporary Chinese SF in Translation edited and translated by Ken Liu.

Meanwhile, we continue with our discussion of The Mabiginion over on SeniorLearn.org While my favorite current historian, Adrian Goldsworthy, is mute (as far as I know) on the subject of King Arthur, other British historians are not. So we are delving into the possibility that a real King Arthur may have existed and that he may have been a former Roman soldier who stayed on in Britain after the Legions were pulled out. There were many who had common law wives and children and others who were veterans who had been given land in Britain on retirement. A Roman soldier or auxiliary would have had the discipline and training to pull together so many quarrelsome tribes together into an alliance. Teasing out the earliest mentions of a King Arthur like warlord take us right on back to shortly after the Legions left in 430AD.

Needless to say, I couldn't settle on a western to read. I tried Trail of the Lonesome Pine, but didn't care for it. So I read some more of A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World by William J. Bernstein and Arthur C. Clarke's first published short story from The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke. Those will have to wait again.

Marilyne

maryc - I read a short Wikipedia biography of JC Oats, and it was quite interesting.  She was born in Lockport, but grew up and went to school in Millersport.  It didn't say where she lives now, but probably somewhere in NY. 
Reading her books is an acquired taste! ::) I like her writing, but I know that most people don't.  She described her own writing style as, "intense"!  That's a pretty good description, as far as I'm concerned.

MarsGal - I've read a number of Westerns over the years that I liked, but one that stands out is The Ox-Bow Incident, written by Walter VanTilburg Clark, in 1940.  I think you might like it also.  It was made into a movie in the early 40's, starring Henry Fonda.  I saw it a number of years ago, and thought it was very well done.

I'm in the middle of, True Sisters, by Sandra Dallas.  I like it, but not as much as her other books.  I will finish it today, and then I'll start Unsheltered, by Barbara Kingsolver.

MarsGal

Another of my hold items dropped the other day. Everything kind of stopped while I am reading another of Guy Gavriel Kay's books; this one is The Lions of Al-Rassan where there are three religious groups, one worshiping the sun, one the stars and the third worshiping the two moons. Along with that are at least three main kingdoms always on the look out to expand their territory and gain tribute, as well as individuals caught in and/or involved in various intrigues. Oh, and of course, sex and violence. All my other reading seems to have stopped while I have my eyes glued to this book.

Marilyne

I'm hoping others who post here, are watching Season #3, of The Crown?  I was critical at first, but it has grown on  me, and I'm liking it more and more with each episode. I had completely forgotten that Prince Philip's mother, had become a nun, and lived in Greece.  That's about all I remembered about her, until I watched tonight's episode, which was either #3 or 4?  Fascinating piece of history about her, and her place in the Royal Family, which isn't very well known or remembered.  I hope that someone else here in S&F is watching, and will comment?

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I'm watching "The Crown" but have only seen 3 episodes.  Having a hard time with Queen Elizabeth looking so "sour" all the time and don't like the darker interior sets. 

I've just finished reading "The Other Side of The Bridge", a novel by Camron Wright. My book club just discussed his "The Rent Collector" and I was curious about other books he's written.
"The....Bridge" centers around the building of the Golden Gate bridge but is set in "current time". One character is researching the history of the bridge for a professional article and her "counterpart" has a reason for wanting to visit the bridge.  Good story with interesting characters

Marilyne

Callie - I've also only seen three episodes, and I do like the show very much.  I'm disappointed in the actress who is playing Queen Elizabeth.  I think she looks too old compared to what QE looked like at that time, and older than the actor who is playing Prince Philip.  She is supposed to be only a little over 40, but to me, she looks 55 to 60. I know that QE was not noted for smiling very much, but this actress is overdoing it with the glum expression..  Another small thing, but something that bothers me . . . QE is known for her blue eyes.  Claire Foy, who played her in Season's #1 and #2, had blue eyes.  This new actress has dark brown eyes, that are noticeable in every closeup.  IMO - if they felt that she was the best one for the role, she should be wearing blue contact lenses!  I would guess that it's a real annoyance to the real QE, who is undoubtedly watching the series.   

CallieOK

I agree on all points. I liked the first cast much better.  Seems as if a makeup artist could have "aged" them. 

maryc

Sallie,  Your comments about "The Bridge" prompted me to check out the author. I realized that had read one of his a while back called The Orphan Keeper.  Thanks for the reminder.  I will follow up on other titles.
Mary C

MarsGal

A few days ago I finished reading the most powerful so far, IMO, of Guy Cavriel Kay's novels, The Lions of Al-Rassan. While all the characters and place names are fictional, the story is inspired by the centuries long struggle of Christian/Muslim conflicts in Spain during in the Medieval Ages, culminating with Muslim rule finally being pushed out by Queen Isabella (busy lady with lots of money) and King Ferdinand in 1492. I recognized several of the characters and clashes in the book from various times in that long history while watching Reconquista videos on You Tube while I decide which history book or books I want to read about the conflict. I know so very little of that area of Medieval history. One of the main characters in the book, Rodrigo, seems to be inspired by the real life Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar - El Cid (c. 1043 – 10 July 1099). Now, I have just discovered there is an epic poem about Rodrigo called "Cantar de mio Cid". According to Wikipedia, it is the earliest Castilian epic poem that has been preserved, and is housed at the National Library of Spain in Madrid. More things to explore.

Marilyne

Callie and Tome  -  I'm hoping that one or both of you have seen Episode #5, of The Crown?  I watched it last night, and was very impressed. I thought it was the best episode yet, in Season #3.  All actors were superb, but  it was Charles Dance, who played Lord Mountbatten, who stole the show.  What a fabulous actor he is!  When he recited the Kipling poem,  Mandalay,  I was totally mesmerized, and also he was wonderful/perfect in the final scene, with his sister, Princess Alice.  Those two scenes show the vast difference in American and British actors.  Not a single American that I can think of, could possibly have played either of those scenes so beautifully.

Also, I've changed my mind on the actress playing Queen Elizabeth.  In this episode, she finally rang true with me.  She was believable and excellent throughout, and showed lots of emotion and humanity.  I've finally stopped nitpicking her, and have forgotten all about her brown eyes!  Also, the actor who played Porchey, was very good, as Elizabeth's former suitor, who is obviously still in love with her.  A great show!  I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Tomereader1

I'm not quite to #5 yet.  I've learned to like Phillip more, as well as The Queen.
As the Monarch, she was trained to not show emotion in public, and I'm sure that training poured over into her private life.  I'm enjoying Margaret a bit more, as she is showing a tiny bit of common sense.  Love that Princess Anne has shown up.  Never knew much about her.  Love the interaction between her and Alice, and so glad that Philip went to see Alice, although I'm sure he went with full intentions to chastise her for the interview. He is human, LOL.
The Aberfan episode was excellent.  Never, ever had heard about that.  Still think this is one of the best TV shows ever, including, and especially the early episodes. But I like this Season too, notwithstanding the "blue eyes".
(I noticed that with her first closeup).  Thank you Marilyne for posting in here about this series!

angelface555

Hi, I'm not a regular poster, and I have no television unless it's shown on Youtube, but I've been reading all my life.

I saw this 100 books to read in a lifetime by Amazon and was astounded to see I've read so many.

https://www.listchallenges.com/amazons-100-books-to-read-in-your-lifetime

https://www.listchallenges.com/100-books-to-read-to-be-well-read

CallieOK

I've been too busy with Thanksgiving activities to watch any "Crown" episodes past #3.  Might do it tonight but the big Bedlam Football Game (my Soonersvs. my family's Cowboys will take up most of the evening.  Can't miss that one.  :)

Edit..finished what I needed to do today so watched Crown.  I put my post in the Television Today folder.  Thought maybe that would be more appropriate. 😊