December 14, 2019, 04:56:08 pm

News:

WELCOME HOME TO S&F!!
We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

collapse

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Random Image

Dumdiddys

Views: 622
By: Beverly

Shoutbox

• brian: ofcourse   mycheal    but   still  amusing---------   musical lemmings
    December 10, 2019, 09:15:15 pm
  • mycheal: Brian, personal choice
    December 10, 2019, 07:43:24 pm
  • brian: interesting how  so many  male musicians  wear   hats  when performing!  My   son in law  is  a  pro musician    and  does  same  thing.Its  almost a  "uniform"
    December 09, 2019, 11:50:14 am
  • Pooch1: Oh, so funny, Rammel!  Thanks
    December 09, 2019, 07:36:43 am
  • RAMMEL: [link]
    December 08, 2019, 08:42:35 pm
  • brian: seasons  greetings  all   who  remain
    December 07, 2019, 11:09:41 am
  • Oldiesmann: Thanks :)
    December 06, 2019, 10:12:47 pm
  • so_P_bubble: Congrats Michael and best of like for safe driving :)
    December 05, 2019, 04:17:48 am
  • Pooch1: Great!  But get yourself a St. Christopher medal to hang on the rear view mirror so you can hang on to this car.
    December 04, 2019, 12:26:24 pm
  • Amy: Micheal, way to go!!!
    December 03, 2019, 05:47:47 pm
  • Oldiesmann: Got the car! Came complete with a 6-month, 6000-mile warranty as well. Just need to replace the wipers and get new batteries for the keyfob.
    December 03, 2019, 04:48:32 pm
  • Amy: Micheal,  good luck today..hope it all works out for you!
    December 02, 2019, 12:38:38 pm
  • Oldiesmann: Going to look at a car on Tuesday. 2012 Hyundai Sonata with 77,000 miles (124,000 km) and slightly cheaper than the car I wrecked so hopefully I can get financing and an affordable monthly payment
    November 30, 2019, 06:24:07 pm
  • Oldiesmann: Hopefully getting a new car in the next week. GAP insurance payment finally came through on Tuesday so now I just need to call the credit union and get the rest of the loan paid off, then decide which car I want and everything
    November 29, 2019, 01:42:59 am
  • brian: you are   fortunate  bubble      most    dont live  close-------   good  luck to you (  I didnt  know  about   wheelchair)
    November 27, 2019, 11:51:16 am
  • so_P_bubble: Brian: wheelchair... It's also wheels! I live very near the clinic and the shops. As for the dentist... I prefer to forget him, I haven't been there for over three years.
    November 27, 2019, 04:31:22 am
  • brian: bubble  how   do u  get   groceries?   how u get to  doctor?how u get to  dentist?
    November 26, 2019, 11:49:40 am
  • Amy: Micheal ..Way to go! Thing are now looking up for you...
    November 26, 2019, 11:09:49 am
  • Oldiesmann: Looks like I may be able to go get a car this coming weekend. The credit union finally got the check from the GAP insurance so I just need to call or visit the credit union for a quote to pay off the loan
    November 26, 2019, 10:25:42 am
  • so_P_bubble: Michael, if you were closer I would let you use my car. I hardly go out these days, maybe only once a week when I volunteer at the library.
    November 26, 2019, 05:10:53 am

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

I am a bit disappointed with Richard K. Morgan's third Altered Carbon book called Woken Furies. Aside from the main character being Transhuman and geting downloaded in to various cloned or synthetic bodies,the main opposition currently seem to be intelligent robots who are building new robot designs as well as self-replicating themselves. Some of the action is in cyber space/virtual reality. The team leaders use the term "scan up" which I assume is a virtual reality gaming term although I can't find a reference to it yet.

Meanwhile, I am still enjoying audio version of Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard. What a great story and well done. with a cast of, I think it said, sixty-five voice artists. The novel was published in 1982 but shows no sign of being dated like some science fiction.

Marilyne

December 03, 2019, 12:45:15 pm #2041 Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:53:40 pm by Marilyne
Callie - I remember that you also liked Elizabeth Berg's two novels - The Story of Arthur Truluv and Night of Miracles.  I knew she had written a third one, to complete the trilogy, so I put myself on the long waiting list at the library.  I had forgotten about it until I got an email, that it was there, waiting for me! It's called The Confession Club

Picked it up right away, and sat down to read it after the Thanksgiving company had all gone home.  As you remember, I really like E.Berg, and have read all of her books, plus I follow her on her Facebook page.  I love reading her ongoing messages on her FB, about her life.    So I hate to say it, but I was underwhelmed by  The Confession Club.  I almost stopped reading half way through, but went ahead and finished it, just to see if it ended as I knew it would.  Just too predictable, too full of quirky characters, and totally unrealistic.  I was disappointed, but maybe it was just me?  I'll be interested in your opinion? 

MarsGal - I've heard that L.Ron Hubbard's books are good, but I've never read one?  Too many things about his "religion", Scientology, that I cannot abide. It's now considered to be a "cult", which to me, is not a good thing.     If you're at all interested, read the book by TV star, Leah Remini, called  Scientology and the Aftermath.  It's a documentary that investigates the Church of Scientology.  She was an active member during most of her life, and knows everyone and everything about what goes on under the facade of a church.

CallieOK

Marilyne, "The Confession Club" just appeared in my Loan list.  Not sure when I'll have time to start it....maybe this weekend.
Although I liked the first two, I did think they were a bit "strange".

MarsGal

Thanks, but no thanks, Marilyne. When I worked in pre-press, their magazine was one of the ones we printed in several languages.

MarsGal

December 07, 2019, 07:19:31 am #2044 Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 07:21:40 am by MarsGal
Last night I finished Woken Furies, and already I forget what transpired in the Epilogue. Well, it was late, so it probably didn't sink in. I think it was a good ending anyway. There were some spots in the book where I was a bit confused as to whether the action was taking place in virtual reality and what was taking place in the real world.

Battlefield Earth remains a good story, if oh so long. Of course, the duel of wits between Johnny and Terl keeps going on and on and on. I am getting a bit impatient to finish the book, but am deliberately listening to fewer chapters, which are very short, at a time. I am still only about half way through.

Now I really must tackle the two library books I renewed. I am half way through Ken Liu's short stories only because I've already read some of them elsewhere. There is one more borrow to read, but that is my Amazon borrow, so I don't need to be in a hurry with it; I just can't borrow another until this one is returned if I go past Dec. 30.

I forgot to mention to Patricia that I have read about 25% of both of those listed in her book of lists. Several books I've started but didn't finish and, of course, some of them are either still sitting in my TBR pile or, I have not intention of reading. My taste in reading material doesn't seem to reflect much in these top 100 or books to read before you kick the bucket.

angelface555

After some questions and consideration, we are attempting to reopen two forums. We welcome any and all participation.

Show Me A Photo Of  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=165464

And Trivia Quiz  https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=165463

MarsGal

Tomorrow I will take my library books back and then stop at my local garage to get the car inspected.

Prisoner's of Darkness (Galaxy's Edge #6) is finished, so I am now reading Accepting the Lance by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. It is their 22nd book in the Laiden Universe. There are a lot of things going on in this book. They added new characters and brought back some of the older characters for the show down between the Department of Interior and Clan Koval. I don't know whether the fight between the two will be resolved in this book or will continue. Suffice it to say that new alliances are being forged or strengthened.

CallieOK

I've finished "The Confession Club".   Marilyne, glad you mentioned the confusion because I was...until I decided the author had used "confession" as the central theme and worked in as many types as she could come up with to have a satisfactory ending.

My reading these days is to relax before bedtime and I usually fall asleep before I've gotten very far.

"Where'd You Go, Bernadette?" has just appeared in my loans.  Not sure when I'll start it.

Happy Reading, Everyone.

Marilyne

Callie - I think you liked  True Confessions,  more than I did.  I just couldn't get past the overall abundance of quirky characters! ::) Not much in the way of reality there!  However, that won't deter me from reading more books by Elizabeth Berg!  She'll always be one of my favorite authors, and I'll read whatever she writes in the future - plus past novels that I may have missed.  I also enjoy reading her Facebook Page, which is interesting and funny. 

I just started a book by Elizabeth Gilbert, called  City of Girls.  It was recommended on Goodreads, as one of the best new books published in 2019. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but it has already drawn me into the story.  It starts with the main character in 2010, looking back and remembering her past - starting in 1940 when she was 19. Judging from what I've read so far, it will move through the decades, into the present time.  I'll comment more as I get into it.

Where'd You Go Bernadette, is one that I had on my wait list for a long time, and finally I got it, along with a bunch of other books.  It was a one week hold, so I never even opened it.  At the time, I chose to read  The Dutch House,  and that took up all my time and interest!  As you know I love it!

CallieOK

Marilyne, I got tired of the club meetings in "The Confession Club" but, once I figured out the different types of "confessions", I could skip over the trivia and keep up with the main threads. I wouldn't particularly recommend it to anyone and wouldn't care to read it again.

Book Club is discussing "Evvie Drake Starts Over" next week.  I've already read it but am "skimming" through it again to refresh my memory. So I haven't started" "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?"  Maybe this weekend.

I'm on the waiting list for "The Dutch House".  Wanna bet it arrives right in the middle of the Christmas activities?

MarsGal

I breezed through Accepting the Lance in no time. I wonder if we Laiden Universe fans will have to wait another two years before the next book comes out.

Now I am reading Song of Rolland by that famous author, Anonymous. This epic poem was first written around 1040 and was modified several times up to about 1115. It is about the Battle of Roncevaux Pass in 778 where Charlemayne and his army were ambushed and was the only major defeat he ever had. This battle was one of the early battles during the Reconquista which lasted 781 years (711-1492).

In line with my interest ancient history, I also started A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World, written by William J. Bernstein.

MarsGal

The Fourth season of The Expanse dropped into the Amazon Prime cue this morning. There are 10 episodes. I watched the first and could barely take my finger off the button to watch the second. I don't want to watch it all at once, but it is hard to resist.