April 10, 2021, 07:36:26 AM

News:

WELCOME HOME TO S&F!!
We're glad you found us and now we hope all of our members will do the same--find us!  Please pass the word around by email, Facebook, etc.
Re-register and then go to INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Random Image

Winter07.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 10, 2021, 07:36:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Feb 24 2021 8:23pm
mycheal: Spring  thaw has arrived here :)

Feb 21 2021 3:49pm
Oldiesmann: Ours is finally melting.

Feb 20 2021 8:05am
so_P_bubble: 4 inches in Jerusalem!

Feb 13 2021 11:01am
Oldiesmann: Anyone else buried in snow? We got 8 inches here Monday into Tuesday, another half inch or so Wednesday and more is coming next week

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

Jan 01 2021 8:00am
Amy: Happy New Year to you also !

Dec 31 2020 11:16pm
Oldiesmann: Happy new year everyone!

Dec 18 2020 8:22am
mycheal: Ya all stay safe now  >:(

Nov 29 2020 1:51pm
Oldiesmann: You're welcome. Glad you like it :)

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

April 07, 2021, 08:43:45 AM #2490 Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:51:53 AM by phyllis
I gave up about half-way through "The Book of Longings" by Sue Monk Kidd.  Just couldn't find a point to it.  The theme has been hashed over by other authors many times.  And better done, in my opinion. 

I turned to "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and loved that. Spent most of the day reading it.  One of those books that I couldn't put down.  I'll admit that it probably doesn't appeal to everyone but I thought it was terrific, even though it is a sentimental tear-jerker.  I'll try to find the movie though I'm almost always disappointed in the movie made from a favorite book.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

Phyllis -  I'm so glad you liked, "The Art of Racing in the Rain".   It was such a warm and uplifting story,  narrated by the wise and wonderful dog,  Enzo!    I loved it,  and now I'm inspired to read and enjoy it all over again.

I have the book here, and I see that I have bookmarked lots of pages - all of which contain passages spoken by Enzo,  about his thoughts on life, and humanity.   One that I especially liked  - "I'm stuffed into a dog's body, but that's just the shell. It's what's inside that's important. The soul. And my soul is very human."

I did see the movie, and of course I was disappointed, as we all usually are by a movie adapted from a good book.  They changed lots of things from the original story, as they always do.  :(   

phyllis

I'm going to listen to you, Marilyne, and pass on the movie.  I liked the book so much I don't want to "muddy" it with a bad movie.  Enzo was such a wise dog.  I hope his human reincarnation was just the same.   :)
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

[Hello.  Remember me?  ;)

It's been a busier than usual two weeks and, by the time I get around to reading anything....I fall asleep!

Just reading "beach book/chick lit" stuff - most of which I finish in one session.  There are several authors of this kind that I like = even though I know how it all will end - so I decided to print out a list from each author's website and work my way through.

Currently reading Jodi Thomas, Mary Kay Andrews and Nancy Thayer.

I've been reading posts and enjoying your comments.
Now I need to bring my Tablet and Cell Phone up to full charge in case the predicted severe weather actually affects my area tonight (weather gurus can't seem to make up their minds if or when that will happen).

TTYL