Random Image

larry

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomereader1

I think "Yellowstone" is only about 3, maybe 4 years (seasons) long.  I can't get it, which upsets me, as I have heard some good feedback from people I know.

phyllis

I watched the first 2 seasons of Yellowstone but got really turned off by the nudity and violence so I quit.  Now that I have cut the cable the only way I can get Peacock is by paid subscription.  I didn't feel like subscribing just to watch a show that I wasn't enjoying.

I didn't like the newer version of "Jamaica Inn" either, Marilynne.  Not done well at all.  The main female character was played by the actress that played the youngest of the 3 Downton Abbey sisters.  Can't remember her name.  She was nice to look at but not a very good actress, IMO.

I just finished "The Last Garden in England" by Julia Kelly.  I liked it a lot.  It is a multi-generational story about several women, all connected in some way to a walled garden at an English manor house.  It spans from the 1800's thru the WW 2 war years to modern times.  Well written and on the recommended list by my library.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

Phyllis & Tome - We're still in early Season #1 of "Yellowstone",  so I don't have all the characters figured out yet.  So far, I don't care for the daughter . . . she's just a little bit too weird for me.  I have always liked Kevin Costner, so that's really why I started watching.  I don't care for any of the new/young movie or TV stars who are being featured in the latest hits.  None of them stand out . . . they all seem to be the same.

As I said, I didn't know we even had Peacock?  It must be included in our Comcast package, along with Turner Classic Movies.    We both like or have liked, all the series or movies featured on HBO over the years, so will not give that one up.  Netflix and Amazon Prime, are our only two streaming channels.       

MarsGal

Hi all, adding to my list of January 9.

Mythos showed up yesterday. It is always enjoyable to listen to Stephen Fry.

Freedom by Sebastian Junger arrived in my library two days ago. I am half way through it already. It is not a detailed or complex book, but the author does share a little history as he travels along the rails that follow the Juniata River. It reminds me that I have a volume of the history and scenery of the Juniata River that is hanging out, so far unread, on the bookshelf. This is a good opportunity to get it out and read it when I am done with Freedom.

Gladius had to go back unfinished, but I have it on hold again so I can finish it when it becomes available again. It was longer than I thought it would be.

MarsGal

A follow-up on Freedom: The book surprised me. The farther I got into the book, the more the author got into examples from world history showing the constant struggle for freedom vs oppression. The balance between the two is hard to maintain for long. In between the history, philosophical and anthropological musings, the author continues his travelogue of his westward trek following the rail tracks and evading rail workers and cops. It is, after all, against the law to be on rail property, especially now with worries of sabotage. Did you know that Hitler had the Horseshoe Curve on his list for bombing during WWII? Anyway, the book while being a little less of a travelogue combined with a little US history than I thought, is just as if not more interesting. 

I am listening to Stephen Fry's Mythos, the first of a mythology series. It is, I think, the adult version of the Greek/Roman god myths. No mincing, playing down, or glossing over words here.

Tomereader1

What is "the Horseshoe Curve"?  Never heard that term.

MarsGal

Glad you asked TomeReader. https://www.railroadcity.org/curve.html

live webcam, it's a bit snowing today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YghZcdke78

Years ago, George and I took a bus trip that included a trip through the horseshoe curve via train. The site of the live cam has a little museum, a tourist shop (naturally) and a funicular that takes you up to the picnic site level with the tracks. Had a saboteur managed to blow up the tracks there as Hitler wanted, it would have been a major disruption of rail traffic to the East Coast during the war.

FlaJean

Interesting about the Horseshoe  Curve.  Had never heard of it.

Tomereader1

phyllis

I discovered that Amor Towles, the author who wrote "A Gentleman in Moscow", a book that I loved, has a new book out.  "The Lincoln Highway."  I clicked on my library to see if I could get it as an ebook and I can......but not for the next six months!  Well, I put a hold on it, anyway, and hope that the long wait will be worth it.....when I finally get to read it.  ;D

I just finished the last book that Margaret Maron wrote before she died.  It is the Judge Deborah Knott series.  Maron lived in my area so I always enjoyed her books because it was about places and some people whom I recognise.  The book was good, as always, and M. Maron is, and will be, missed.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Phyllis, I've read the ebook of "The Lincoln Highway".  It's a good story but has very little to do with the real Lincoln Highway.  Also enjoyed "A Gentleman In Moscow" and "Rules of Civility" - his story of New York "society".

I don't try to participate in the Zoom "meeting" of my Book Club but do read the monthly selections.  Just finished this month's selection "While Justice Sleeps" by Stacy Abrams.  Story is centered around a Supreme Court Justice who is in a coma and has appointed one of his clerks as his legal guardian.  Rather complicated "thriller" about her experiences solving various issues with Executive Branch and FBI/Security, etc.

Next selection is "The Gown" which centers around designing/making Queen Elizabeth's wedding gown.

I don't know where the Book Club comes up with these selections but I'm glad I can get them in e-book form.

"Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone", Book 9 in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon was added to my loans a few days ago and I'm working my way through the Cavendon Hall series by Barbara Taylor Bradford.

Plenty to read - just wish I could keep from dozing off while I'm doing so.  ;)

FlaJean

Phillis,  I enjoyed both of Marion's series.  The last Sigrid Harold book she wrote in 2017 showed the family connection between Sigrid's and the Deborah Knott families.  I bought that book (digital).  Several years ago I ran across a short story by Margaret Marion which is really good.  As fas I know, she didn't normally write short stories.  I made a copy and kept it and have reread it a couple of times.

MarsGal

My newest read is a very interesting non-fiction book called The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic – and How it Changed Science, Cities and the Modern World by Steven Johnson. It is about the Cholera Epidemic of 1854 in London.

I am also reading book seven of Rick Partlow's Dropship Trooper series, and back to listening to the the second book in The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan.

Has anyone read The London House by Margaret Reay? It sounds like it is going to slide back and forth between current day and WWII Paris as a granddaughter uncovers her grandmother's true history as a spy for the allies during the war. I just downloaded the audio book because it was less expensive (on sale) than the Kindle version.

Another WWII audio book I just downloaded is called The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. He recounts his days as a German soldier in Russia during WWII. It gets very high praises. Might be an interesting follow up to Erich Maria Remarque's novel All Quiet on the Western Front which was set in WWI.

FlaJean

The London House sure does sound interesting.

MarsGal

My latest local Library mystery newsletter lists three books that particularly sound interesting. I will be taking a closer look at them shortly. Has anyone read any of these books or others by the authors?

Christopher Fowler wrote a detective series called Bryant and May. The newsletter features the latest and last of the series, Bryant and May: London Bridge is Falling Down. It is an investigation into the murder of a 92 year old woman who was part of a group of older women with ties to government intelligence who also may be in danger. From the cover style (kind of retro to the 40's maybe?), so I thought it was an older series. But no, the first was published in 2004.

Silent Parade
by  Keigo Higashino and translated by Giles Murray is a detective story set in Japan about an investigation into the murder of a guy who is thought to have gotten away with murder 20 years before. It is the fourth of this series translated into English.

Lee Goldberg's Bone Canyon is a police procedural. It is set in Los Angeles County and is the second of a series. The blurb mentions a six-year old gang rape and some kind of police involvement, so it might not be my cup of tea just now. 

FlaJean

Marsgal, I read "The Devotion of suspect X" by Keigo Higashino and enjoyed it, but it was the only book by him at my Ocala Library and since then I forgot about him.  I looked him up in Fantasticfiction.com and notice that he has written more books and has several detective series.

I am sure I would like Christopher Fowler's Bryant & May detective series.  According to fantasticfiction there are 20 in that series.  I wish I could find these books in digital form but not audio.

MarsGal

FlaJean, you can get the Bryan & May series in eBook form from GooglePlay, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Vitalsource (whoever they are). You can also borrow Christopher Fowler eBooks through Hoopla and OverDrive/Libby. You will need a library card from your local library system to sign up/in to Libby.  I just checked the Marion County library system site. https://library.marionfl.org/ I am not sure, but it looks like they use Libby. Click on the eBooks tab for info or call the library for help. 

FYI, OverDrive is discontinuing their classic OverDrive app very shortly and transitioning all of their stuff to their Libby program. I think they said they will be pulling the OverDrive app off the net by the end of Feb, and by the end of the year the old program will be shut down. So be sure to download the Libby by Overdrive app. I am hoping they get the Libby app listed in the Amazon apps section. Right now, I have to download the .apk file and manually load it into my Kindle. It isn't hard to do, but you must carefully follow the online instructions to do it if you are using a Kindle. If you have an Apple device, you can just download the app from Google Play, no worries. I can't speak to other devices and what is available to them.

I was able to find two of the books I listed above at FLP, so they are now in my library wish list. They did not have any Lee Goldberg books, so if I want to read Bone Canyon, I will have to buy it. Lee Goldberg's books are offered on my Kindle Unlimited, but I am maxed out on how many books I can borrow there just now. (Gee, what a surprise!) I will have to wait to add it to my downloaded borrows. It will be a while until I can get around to reading them. It looks like two more of the book I have on hold will drop within the next two weeks.

phyllis

I already have Libby on my Galaxy tablet but my older PC won't download Libby so I still use Overdrive on it.  Guess I'm going to lose Overdrive on the PC but still have Libby on the tablet so I should be all right.  Or, I could buy a new PC.....no, don't want to do that right now.   :-\

I'm having trouble getting books from the library now. I have holds on 5 books and I am 'way down the wait list for all of them.  Our download library is so popular everything gets snapped up long before I can get to it.  I'm waiting on "The Lincoln Highway", "Go Tell the Bees I Am Gone", and Louise Penny's latest that I can't remember the name of right now, and a couple of other books.  Everyone of those has a wait list of 3 or 4 months.  Meanwhile, I'm resorting to reading stuff I have read before or, books that just don't keep my interest and I give up on them after a few pages.

At least the Olympics will start soon.  Maybe, that will keep me entertained for awhile.   ;)

Hope Marilyne's hand is healing and that she will come back here soon.  Miss her posts.

phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Phyllis, thanks for the info about Libby.  There's a "notice" at the top of the page when I check into my ebook Loans that says "Your loans are available on Libby".  I've never checked on that and am wondering if my current Holds and History will also transfer.  Do you know?

I'm reading my way through the Barbara Taylor Bradford series "Emma Harte".  I swear if she has someone "glide across (to somewhere)" one more time.... :knuppel2:  .  At least she hasn't had anyone do anything "with alacrity"....yet!  ;D

MarsGal

Phyllis I know what you mean about having to wait so long. Last year, one of the books I had on hold took 24 weeks til I got it.

Re Libby by Overdrive for PC: It is a little confusing on the net, but it looks like Overdrive discontinued the PC app. The only way you can read it on PC now is from your browser, which of course, means you are online while you read. I am not particularly fond of it myself as I prefer to download and read on my eReader or tablet. Also, I discovered that to sign out of Libby on the web, you need to actually find "get some help" and then click on "reset everything". You will have to resign back in with your library card next time you want to read. Seems a bit complicated to me. Why they don't just use a "sign out" button is beyond me.

Callie, I was having trouble finding my wish list, but finally found how to sync it. It also was not one simple step.

The only reason I have a Google account is so I can subscribe to some of the channels. Close the account again. I have started getting a lot of phishing emails with gmail addresses at my regular email address purporting to be something they are not, not to mention more spam phone calls than usual. I never trusted Google to be secure. This is the second time I had this problem which points to them.

phyllis

Callie, I can't really answer your question because I simply don't remember whether the Reading History transfers over automatically or not.  I think it probably did or I would remember being upset.   :tickedoff:  but I can't be sure.  Here is a link to the Libby Help site.  Maybe you can find an answer there. 

https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/index.htm

MarsGal, I access the download library with Google and have never had a problem.  And, I never Sign Out of the web site because I doubt seriously if any hacker is going to steal my library information.......no money is involved and if they just want my address I delete ALL suspicious mail in my mail program, anyway.  Besides, I never want to take the time to Sign In when I want to look at my library account.  Always too impatient, I guess. 
phyllis
Cary,NC

MarsGal

Phyllis, I discovered that I have to stay signed in to YouTube otherwise it is a real pain in the ... to get signed in again. I end up running back and forth from the TV downstairs to the computer upstairs. OR, I just stay signed on to Google on my computer. Or, of course, I could just cancel the free subscription service. I do often stay signed in on my library account, but that is not through Google.   

I think all the phone spam I'm getting is something other than Google related. I double checked and I do not have my phone number listed on my account. Anyway, I don't answer any of those calls. 

There was a news item this morning about a phone scam in my area where a caller claimed to be from the Social Security Office gave a spiel and then said that the local police would be contacting them. Sure enough, someone called using a spoofed phone number from the local police department with instructions. Last year there was something similar here but using one of the court administrative offices. Seems someone is targeting Cumberland County residents.

phyllis

MarsGal, I got a call from Soc. Sec. once but I had already read on the SS.gov. site that they never call SS recipients.  They will contact you by mail if there is a problem.  So I just said something rude (probably) to the so-called "SS agent" who was calling me to tell me there was a problem with my account and hung-up.  And, I'm very suspicious of all emails that don't look "right" to me.  I never click on a link supplied in an email.  I always go to a search "engine" like Google and access my account directly through the secure SS address.  Much safer.

I agree YouTube is a pain so hardly ever go there except to access it through my Roku device to watch something on the tv screen.  Rarely ever watch YouTube on my PC.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

I just discovered that I could switch to Libby automatically on my PC through the Metro Library site. Took a couple of clicks and my Loans and Holds showed up.

Haven't tried it on Tablet, yet.  Hope it's as easy because I always read e-books on it. No History - but I can still get into the OverRead site and will keep it until I'm told it's no longer available

I never sign out of the web site, either. All I need to get in is my last name and Library Card # so hackers wouldn't get much information if they tried.

Had started a Data Base for the History but haven't worked on it for quite a while and should put it on the ToDo list - which is growing!.

Still working my way through the Barbara Taylor Bradford series.  Now noticing that, in addition to "gliding", characters are "murmuring".  ::)  (Stop editing, Callie - and just read!  ;D )

FlaJean

Marsgal, Libby only has one available book by Christopher Fowler.  When I click on that one book there are a number of his books listed with two dashes.  Clicking on them brings up "Unavailable".  Our library system is not very good.  Libby is dependent on the local library system and I guess what they digitize.

MarsGal

That is interesting FlaJean. I didn't know they were dependent on local libraries for their digitized offerings. I kind of thought it would be the other way around. FLP has 18 of Fowler's books, of them there are only eight available now, the rest have a wait list.

I wonder how many big libraries offer e-membership to their state residences. Although I live in the Harrisburg area, I mostly use the Free Library of Philadelphia to borrow eBooks and audio books. Their only restriction is that you must belong to your local library. In order to apply for membership I had to provide my local library card into on the membership application. I can get eBooks through my local library only. They use OverDrive, so I think I am going to check their website or call to find out if that will change because of the change from the Overdrive app to the Libby app. Hadn't thought to ask.

Tomereader1

MarsGal, did you see on the news about the bridge collapse in Pennsylvania?  A few injured but nobody killed.

MarsGal

My sister told me about it, Tome. She could not resist making a snide comment about how someone is likely to blame the collapse on Biden as he was scheduled to be in Pittsburgh that day.

so_P_bubble

FlaJean

So true!  Liked the graphic.