Random Image

Cliff, Kelly, Fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of May 1

Started by JoanFL, May 01, 2016, 04:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning everyone, I see jackie,bis and Amy is already here. I have been traveling VIA Skype this morning, Peter all and I have had a lot of good Laughs,but I think your birds would be nice also Amy. peter is over one big pond in England  and all on the other side of the other big Pond in Sidney Australasia. the sky is mostly clear here and the weather guesser says in the upper 70's or lower 80's today.Have a great day.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  How very kind of you to go and wash your friend's windows.  What a great surprise for her.  You sure can make those quilts very quickly.

Lloyd--Good morning.  It's nice you can talk to some of your friends using Skype.  Supposedly, this is to be another 90° day.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It looks like we will have a nice morning but have the possibility for more rain this afternoon and evening.  Yesterday we had close to two inches of rain and each time it really rained heavily with some wind.  Our main activities for today will be to take Pat for a chest x-ray at the hospital and then over to get a new hose for her CPAP machine.  Three nights ago it started making a popping sound as if it were a popcorn popper with each breath she took.  We exchanged the hoses between our two identical machine and I got that popping sounds so we are sure it is the hose failing.  Perhaps we will have a good lunch out and Pat will have the evening off from preparing a meal. 

Hal, I was suppose to see the lung doctor today for a followup on my CPAP machine but they called yesterday and rescheduled it until next Monday morning. 

June, if your computer is nine years old you will be amazed at the improvement in a new Macbook.  You will see a tremendous difference in the quality of the picture and other improvements. 

Joan, I think you would love a laptop.  I have no intentions of ever buying another desktop computer even for my office.

Patricia, I do the same thing as you with regard to using the Gmail or other emails I have used in the past.  I try to clear my inbox everyday or may leave something as a reminder until the event or responsibility is over.  I often send emails to myself from my easy chair so as not to forget to do something. 

Lloyd, you can buy an HDMI Expander that will give you more HDMI capacity.  The same is true of USB Ports.  Just do a Google seach and see what you find.

Mary Ann, I remember my grandmother had a mangle and ironed everything with it including sheets.  I have done ironing in the past and could do so again if I had to.  However, most of my clothes don't need to be ironed particularly if we get them out of the dryer in time. 

Tuckyquilter, welcome to this discussion as don't recall seeing any postings from you.  My wife has been an avid quilter for many years. 

Don, congratulations on your fifth great grandchild.  Isn't it wonderful that we can live long enough to see great grandchildren. 

Amy, I know that Pat relies on her iron in a lot of her quilting work and has a separate iron just for that purpose in her sewing room. 

Joan, good Chuckles for today. 

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Boy, I am glad I don't live close to you ladies.  You would put me to shame with all the activity you do on a daily basis.

Nothing much on tap for me here today.  Weather guessers say our weather will be nice until Sunday and then there is a possibility of rain.  Wife has an appointment with the hair dresser, I think, to get her hair cut.

I do have one bill to pay, will do that on line.  '

Have any of you used that glue that you cure with a ultra-violet light?  I have a pair of computer glasses I need to mend and thought I would use some of that.  I think you can buy it just about anywhere now.  You know I think my dentist uses something similar for tooth fillings.  I am sure it isn't glue but something similar.

Lloyd see you are up and att'em.  How you coming on that engine?

Joanie, cinnamon rolls, one of my favorites.  Thank you.....

Janie, are you up and about, don't recall seeing you this morning.  How is your pup doing?

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  How often do you have to replace the hoses on those CPAP machines?  My next computer is going to be a laptop--if I live that long.  Glad you enjoyed the chuckle.

halkel--Good morning.  I believe yesterday Janie said she wasn't going to compute today until some of the items are her list were completed.  I've never used that glue.

Lloyd Hammond

Hall I have it on the engine stand but haven't taken or found time to tare it apart amd see how bad it is.
Larry I went to wallie world to see ,Office depot is going out of business in this aerial and had already sold out,the one walmart had was on a short cord I did not like the looks of it so left it with them. in my head i thought about a one peice one with 2 outlets i thought that would better for moving the Laptop. the way it is with only 1 I have to usemy wireless mouce to use the smart stick to transfure pictures and files from my old desk top. I guse i have lot more time than money anyway.

Lloyd

Lindancer

Good afternoon, on another rainy cool day.

I know gloria will have a lot to say, whenever she gets back. Can't wait.

Hal, I live in a mobile home, and it kind of settles, so I have to use door stops to keep the doors open, I have made all the ones I use. One is a cover brick, I coved with plastic canvas.

MaryTX, my mother always said, and she had many saying. "Poor body, that cannot iron its own sheets"

Patricia, my aunt Lib, who took in ironing, kept her irons on the coal stove. My mother never had a washing machine, I remember every sunday night setting up the wash tub,  soaking the cloths, and of couse the old wash board. Serveral of the house's I lived in when we first got married had double wash tubs, they also servered as the kitchen counter.  The old wringers were dangerus, as women also caught there hair in them. Also Tuesday was ironing day.
Another also, for years growing up the wash tub, was also the bath tub.

Lloyd, when we bought our house it came with a one room house, corn crib , stable and very large barn we paid and extra $60. for all the tools in the barn.  Which included a wood hay rake, scikle and a grinding  stone, with a tracter set. etc.

Carol, safet trip home.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Gloria, much of what you mention about washing and ironing I found still being in use in the Kentucky hills in the early nineteen eighties.

When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, clothes were always put out on the line, in the summer outside and in the winter in the basement. I also remember there was an exact placement of where those types of clothes went on the line when outside.

I always find it strange that everyone wants a good fabric softener as they contain silicone. Silicone repels water so all your dish and bath towels no longer work, and now they are adding silicone to the fabrics at the manufacturers. Also I never dry socks, underwear, anything with elastic in the dryer as the heat destroys the elastic over time.

JoanFL

Lloyd--I read that Office Depot was going to close about 50 stores this year.  They bought out Office Max a couple years ago and by the end of this year will have closed at least 400 stores.

Linedancer--You have many memories of wash day and ironing day when you were growing up.  My mother was a teacher and worked all week, so on Sat. we had chores (me, my twin and my sister). My assigned task was to do the ironing, and I hated it--still do.

angelface--Interesting about silicone.  I learn new things each day.

Lloyd Hammond

Lindancer
If you still have that wooden Hay fork it will bring your $60 + s0me back if it is still in good shape I have onely seen 1 such and  a freind of mine has it and he turned down I think was $1,000 for his.

Lloyd

Lindancer

Lloyd, we lived in that house for 30 years. We sold all those things at our big yard sale,  My husband handled all the out side stuff, I know the grinder was the first to go.  We only had ther acres, we had a lot of parties in the large orchard, my son was also married out there, and two baptism were there.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Radioman34

My recollections of washday on the farm, we had no electricity, and water had to be boiled and poured into a copper tub. Then came the lye soap, the laundry and a couple of boys to operate the paddles that served as the agitators

June Drabek

I am late, so cannot say Good morning. I had an early delivery of my beautiful recliner that Dori and Gary picked out for me. It looks just like leather, but is a very soft fabric. I love it ! And it fits into the apartment beautifully.

But I am tired. It seems to take very little to tire me out now. Darn !!! I want to go down in an hour for the Balance and Mobility class. Missed last class, and I need it.Then I will come home, put on some relaxing clothes and just relax for the rest of the day. Had lunch downstairs, and brought home half of my huge chicken sandwich and a carton of tapioca pudding, so that will be supper.

Our high for the day is supposedly 76, but it seems much warmer than that to me, so the A/C is doing it's duty for me.

I dread the day I will have to replace my computer. I am so accustomed to it, like an old friend, or a comfortable pair of shoes...I don't want to change. And how I am concerned about our GLORIA......it seems like months since we have heard from her. I can't imagine what it taking so long for her to come back in.

I have run out of chit chat, so will go read for a bit till it is time to go down for the exercise program.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Linedancer--You have lots of good memories of that house.

Radioman --"Back in the day" doing laundry was a big job.

June--Wonderful that you're so pleased with your new recliner.  Your lunch leftovers for supper sound good.  Gloria had to wait for Fed Ex to come and pick up the broken computer, then wait for it to be fixed and then wait for it to be shipped back to her.  She thought it would be about three weeks.

Janie hasn't been here.  Must be she didn't get the items on her list completed.

JaneS

Good Morning, Afternoon and Early Evening!  I did get the black pants hemmed and that was all I needed to complete from yesterday's list.  However, my ISP was down this morning.  I thought it was my computer and mentioned it to my daughter in my "wake up" message.  She said hers was also down.  It still wasn't up when I got home from work.  So I had my lunch, went about completing some of todays list and it was back up just before I left to get Kiran.  When she's here, she monopolizes the computer so this is my first chance.  My supper is in the oven and I'm here with my friends.

By the way, today's list is complete except for one item.  And I think I need some help to do that.  Thinking maybe son will come tomorrow to pick up TLH and help me with that since I've added one item to today's list....shorten the straps on his wife's dress for the wedding.  She came by for a "fitting" today and threaded the needles for me. 

Beeper is going off.  Supper is ready.  BBL.  Don't go away!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Sandy

"Back in the day"  laundry was a
big deal...  but also, people did not have the huge
amount of clothes that they do today.   

I lived in a large home  (11 Rooms) which used to be
a "stagecoach"  stop and the bedrooms did not have closets!!

(Imagine that today??)

Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Kelly

Hi Everyone
Late on S&F for me today, so it is hello and soon goodbye as just going to look at the boards, before I retire.

Kelly

Kelly

Hi angel
Skiffle groups were big as I said in the late 1950's and early 1960's, it might have been only in the UK.

The big name in Skiffle was the late Lonnie Donegan.  And he was a big influence on the The Beatles and other groups of the Sixties.

Kelly

June Drabek

Bis, thank you so much for the reminders of what Gloria had to go through to get her computer home again. Gosh, I would be going crazy about now if I were in her position.Thanks again dear, I'm afraid my days just run together so fast I don't pay better attention to time.

Janie, I get worn out just thinking about all you do. Sounds like the wedding is going to be a large event. I hope we get to see pictures of you and the others too.

Sandy, one of those 11 rooms should have been made into a huge closet, with a time table attached to the door for each person that used it.

Time for some supper. Be back later if I don't fall asleep while I'm eating. No nap today.

Kelly

Well time to retire here

Goodnight or in Manx

Oie Vie

Kelly

JaneS

June, I get tired just thinking of all the things I do.  Kiran wanted to go for a walk after school today and I simply had to say "no".  I didn't even want to think of taking a walk with a 9-year-old.  She took it well because I think I might have said that we'd think about taking a walk tomorrow.  I don't have to work tomorrow.

And now, I'm going to say "Good night Everyfriend" and, in the words of Tiny Tim, God Bless Us Every One.  I'm not going to bed yet but I'm pretty sure, I won't be back here.

I have a dr.s apt tomorrow morning and then some "things" to do around her and my list to work on.  It's getting done.  I'm doing more than I'm adding. 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

June Drabek

Janie, you amaze me at all you do, and so much of what you do is for others. God Bless you for that. Be wise though girl and take time out for YOU. Being able to say "No" with a clear conscience shows wisdom, and children do understand, in fact I think they need to hear it at times. It shows them that life does have some some negatives in it.

Kelly, I wish you a very good night.

angelface555

Kelly I still wasn't sure what a skiffle group was so I googled for an explanation. "Jug band. Skiffle is a music genre with jazz, blues, folk and roots influences, usually using homemade or improvised instruments." No I don't recall them here although we had jug bands in some styles of country music. Another example of different slang.

Janie, I think sometimes that you and Amy could conquer the world!

Denver

Good evening EVERYFRIEND.

Thank you, JOAN, for the enjoyable goodies today.

I enjoyed a wonderful day.  Took the bus from our community to Black Hawk this morning.  It was a beautiful drive up...blue skies with nary a cloud in the sky.  The hillsides are a beautiful green from all the rain and snow we have been getting.  Four of my neighbors all sat together and we all had so much fun.  I sat down at a slot machine that immediately started paying very well.  We all enjoyed a nice meal together, a bit more gambling and it was time to get back to the bus for our ride down. 

I have thought about GLORIA so much knowing how sad she must be to not have her computer.  That is such a long time to wait for a computer to be repaired.  IMHO the company should have sent her a new machine.

Opie Vie, KELLY.

JUNE, so happy your new chair arrived today and hearing that you love it is the frosting on the cake. 

Tomorrow Michele will go early to get the stitches out of her wounds...I offered to go with her, but she said she feels very comfortable going on her own.....one week ago today was her surgery....she is one strong lady.

I keep falling asleep, so I will say goodnight to all.  Sleep well and sweet dreams. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Time is now 7.15am, Wednesday morning....going to be a sunny hot day today, well hot for UK that is......

9.am my metal man will be coming to measure up for my metal rails both for the front and back...He did do a quick measure on the day he came to see us but I am assuming now he is in the process of making them.....

Jenny, Michelle sounds both Independent and a strong person....
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good Wednesday morning, Everyfriend.  There's breakfast tacos to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Taxpayer

A taxpayer received a "second notice" that his tax payment was overdue. The next day he went to City Hall, made out a check and apologized for overlooking the first notice.

"I'll tell you a little secret," said the tax collector with a smile. "We don't send out first notices. We've found that second notices are much more effective."

Food For Thought

Human Files
(By Ron Hutchcraft)

Our daughter called the other day and told us that we had to hear what our 3-year-old grandson had just said to her - totally unprompted, out of the blue. He got on the phone and simply said, "Ronald." Karen and I cracked up. That's exactly what Karen says to me when I'm doing something weird - which, of course, is very, very rare. It's her lighthearted way of trying to correct this crazy guy she's married to. But our grandson had even mastered the tone of what she says - "Ronald." All this time he's been listening, recording - and now reproducing. Like we should be surprised?

I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A Word With You today about "Human Files."

Now, all the time our kids were growing up, we had this tapestry hanging up in our room - it said, "Children learn what they live." I guess. Our recent amusing experience with our grandson was only a reminder of the truth of that. Except the results of children learning what they live often are anything but amusing. Whether you realize it or not, your child, your grandchild - any child you're around very much - is listening ... recording ... and sooner or later reproducing what they have experienced or witnessed with you.

And if that weren't sobering enough, we have what Jesus says in our word for today from the Word of God to make us think seriously about how we're marking the children we influence. In Matthew 18:6, Jesus says, "If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea." Wow. Jesus says, "Whatever you do, don't mess up a child."

So, it is obviously very important to step back and consider what we are putting on the video and audio tapes in our kids' minds. The angry words. The names we call them or other people. The children are picking up how we talk about other people ... they're absorbing all that church gossip they hear and forming feelings about the people and work of God. They're learning how to handle stress, and conflict, and disappointment - by watching you. They're learning to respect or disrespect your spouse by the way you respect or disrespect your spouse.

I wonder what our children are learning from us about money - about how important it is ... about giving it generously to Jesus ... about how to handle those times when the money isn't there. Are they learning faith in a God who's a wonderful provider or fear and complaining? And what are our children learning from what they know we watch or listen to? Are they taught that certain things are wrong - and then see you watching those things portrayed or laughed about on TV? They are learning, not so much by what you say, but by what you live.

Think about what you're writing in the wet cement of that child's heart. It may be that you need to go to a child and actually apologize for some of what they have seen and heard - to let them know it isn't right and you're trying to change. And concentrate on giving them the kinds of experiences you want them to copy - praying together, calmly talking through things, listening before talking, putting the other person first, treating people with respect.

The children in our lives are human files - storing what they experience and ultimately reproducing it. They learn what they live - and then later they live what they learned. Jesus said, "Do not mess up the children, or you'll have Me to answer to." Be sure they're learning what you want them to live - what He wants them to live.

Thought of the Day

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”

~ Les Brown

:smitten:

Amy

Good morning everyone...

Dark outside :( I don't like waking up this early as it sure makes my day long! Had fun yesterday with my friend..we did get all the windows cleaned and of course we chatted about quilting. Now she doesn't have to worry about that job. Came home and raked my flower beds and bagged the raked  grass,leaves etc up for garbage.

Today is a trip for physio then home to tidy up some..Not much else .. yet

Jenny, hope everything goes well for Michelle today.

Jane, one by one your getting all your jobs done...rest up some before the wedding.

June, that chair sounds comfy and I bet you can grab a nap or two in it!

Joan , thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Kelly

Hi Jenny
Thanks for the Manx greeting

So,

Moghrey  Mie Jenny

Kelly

Vanilla-Jackie

Good morning Amy, Joan and Kelly......going to be a nice weather day today.....

Metal man came dead on time, 9am, he was thorough measuring up and I am happy with the metal safety rails I will soon be having, he says in a couple of weeks time, will be ready...He makes and fits them......this will make my life so much easier as my right leg is really playing up and comes alive as the day gets on, then calms in the evening.....At the moment I really do struggle getting over the 2-3 decking steps, then stepping over the gravel onto the grassed slope of our back garden....all I have to hang onto is a closed rotary washing line that I have to stretch to reach, often my leg slips on the decking step, then there is the decking bolster log to step over, quite a challenge and often dangerous for me......

Amy, tell them to go easy on you, some of those physio's will stretch you to the limit.....

" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  You sure are busy going up and down the road and keeping your place up, inside and out.:)

Good morning, Kelly.

Vanilla-Jackie--Those railings sound perfect to make things easier for you. :thumbup:

We are under a heavy storm watch.  I don't usually turn the TV on this early, but they are saying hail, strong winds and heavy rain.  I have to go out to have a CT scan--hope I don't get caught in it.