Random Image

james

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of May 1

Started by JoanFL, May 01, 2016, 04:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Jackie, my mother, and mother-in-law both had and used them.

MaryAnn, I recently purchased a new iron for touch ups similar to yours but it is still in the box,
I really don't like ironing!

tuckyquilter

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on May 02, 2016, 02:27:13 PM
Who remembers the real Irons? those heavy black Irons you put on the gas stove....no electric steam Irons, no water compartments, no cords or flexes, no temperature dials, oh, just how did we manage?..... ;)

I learned to iron with one.  Grandma taught me and she heated that darn thing on her pot bellied stove.  Where she sometimes cooked pancakes too.

NOW that said.. how do I start a new topic? I don't get the New Subject tab

Vanilla-Jackie

Angelface, my mom and grandma, ( I lived with both..) used one , and I remember too using it, even got myself a couple of arm scars to prove it.....boy didnt they get hot...

Edited, a warm welcome to our Soda Shoppe Tuckyquilter...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

tuckyquilter;

From computer questions and answers;

Quote from: Jeanne Lee on May 02, 2016, 09:07:50 AM
Quote from: tuckyquilter on May 01, 2016, 11:27:52 PM

How do I start my own topic and my own photo album on this site?  I don't get any tabs that give me that opportunity.  I read the "rules" etc but I don't get the "start new topic" etc tab.

What topic would you like to have opened?  For a photo album, click on Gallery at the top of the page and you can open an album from there by simply clicking on "Pets and Kids" (which is really just a generic general title) and uploading a photo.  Then there will be "my images" to click on which will be your album.

angelface555

Jackie, I never got to close to the irons but my older sister broke her arm in a mishap with a wringer washer.

Vanilla-Jackie

Boy we never knew it then, just how dangerous these contraptions were...they were mighty lethal.... :o but it was all we had....

Mary Ann

We never had a wringer washer, only a spin dryer.  Dad was afraid Mother would get her arm caught in the wringer - and many women did. 

I worked in a repair department for small appliances and occasionally we would get a commercial iron in for repair.  Those were used by laundries and were very cumbersome.

Mary Ann

JoanFL

angelface--I guess "young" is the operative word.:)

Janie--When my son was in high school, he said he didn't like the way I ironed his shirts.  So he took over the job--and they were perfect.  Hopefully the effect of those drops will wear off while you nap so you can complete some more items on your list.

Mary Ann--I never liked ironing shirts but had to do them in our early married years.  Later on when we had a few more $$, they went to the laundry.

Vanilla-Jackie--We never had one of those heavy black irons.

tuckyquilter--Jeanne Lee answered your query where you first posted it in the Computer discussion which angelface quoted.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

I remember as a young child seeing a mangle outside our back door, but I dont ever recollect anyone using it, but I tried playing with it by putting some cloth through it before I got told off and not to play with it as it could be dangerous, by taking my fingers with it.....guess it belonged to my gran, she was 81 when she passed away, I was 11....It was grans house...

Carol

It is 33*F at home and in the low 70*'s this morning here in AZ.  We head home in one week.  Don is taking a friend to lunch in Green Valley today - the friend recently lost his wife.

I just have one thing to say about watching your medications and checking in with a doctor if you feel things are not right.    Do not diagnosis yourself.  Our dear friend Roberta thought she was having a common to her crohn's disease attack.  It was not and the delay of several weeks for a true diagnosis cost her life. Still sad when thinking about it. 

Carol

May Day was celebrated with flowers and the maypole dance in school.  I watched a video of violence from Seattle on Sunday so another special holiday has been hijacked. 

halkel

Jackie, you brought back some memories with you mention of the irons you heated on the stove.  My Mother and Aunts used those when ironing at my Grandparents, no electricity.  They would heat two or three of them and of course only use one at a time heating the others while they ironed. 

Those irons were converted to door stops (for those that don't know what a door stop is, it is an object to hold the door open)  Many people had the old irons as door stops, even making covers for them.  I wonder what happened to those.  I'll bet they cost a fortune now days.

MaryTX

I had a run in with a wringer washer.  Caught my arm practically up to my elbow.  Luckily, no broken bones.

Jackie, never used one of those irons. We had an electric iron, just an iron - no steam or any fancy things.  Clothes were starched, sprinkled with a sprinkler head stuck in a coke bottle, then rolled up and sometimes put in the refrigerator to distribute the dampness. 

My Dad wore a clean long sleeved uniform shirt every day.  At 10, I could iron one to his very picky satisfaction.  Everything was ironed in those days - sheets, pillowcases, dishtowels etc. My aunt came to visit from out of town.  She started doing some ironing and was ironing my Dad's cotton boxer shorts :).  My Mom put a kibosh to that!  She told her if he wanted his boxers ironed, he could do it himself!!

I don't own anything now that needs ironing!

Mary

P.S.  Hal, my sister found one of those old irons in the an barn on some property they bought.  They use it to hold the barn door open!

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

halkel

MaryTX, I can still see them wet their finger and putting it to the bottom of the  iron to see if it was still hot......even the electric iron.  My other taught me how to iron a shirt.  Also plants.

Vanilla-Jackie

Another cast Iron gadget I remember was the long handled extending handle toasting fork.....My father would make up a roaring coal fire, no central heating in our cold house.....as a young child I would sit on top of our blaring fire and toast a slice of bread.....I remember well the hardest part was keeping that bread on the end of that fork before it fell off into the flames.....

Radioman34

Larry, I use a knife point to break the seal on the back to retrieve my meds as well. I'm not sure if it's the norm, but the card is designed for a 7-day  dispensing schedule. When I was away for respite care I received a card in advance for each week I was away.

I just became a great-grandfather for fifth time: a girl.

Amy

I have three of those old irons three different sizes and the handle that you hold onto them with...no I haven't used it but I do iron a lot.

I love bread toasted over a wood stove fire, gives it a whole new taste!

Radioman,congratulations on the birth of your great grandaughter!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--I remember seeing my aunt iron with a mangle, but we didn't have one.  We never had one of those toasting forks.

Carol--Nice of Don to take the gentleman who just lost his wife out to eat.  Th temp at your home sure is much cooler than it is where you are now in AZ.  It's very sad about your lady friend who self-diagnosed and lost her life.

MaryTX--I do remember my mother having a wringer washer and set tubs for rinsing.  I even sprinkled and starched clothes after we married.

hakel--Good for you learning to iron when you were young.

Radioman--Congratulations on the new great granddaughter.

Amy--I know you iron a lot.  I don't even own an iron anymore.

Kelly

Hi June
I was ironing clothes twenty years and dusting, washing.

Kelly

angelface555

MaryTX, that is how my sister broke her arm in the wringer.

My father could cook, bake, clean and iron as well. He was one of 16 kids, joined the CCC and the navy so you knew he had to be proficient.

We personally never had those long handled toasting forks but a friend who used to go camping with us did and we all used it. Our families, 4 parents, six kids and three dogs did a lot 0f tent camping over the years.

We would take the outboards and later jet boats up the Salcha or Yukon rivers sixty miles or so and camp on a sandbar or peninsula. We'd all go fishing and eat what we caught along with other good foods. We would take foil and place parts of meat, potatoes and vegetables in a sealed wrap and roast it in the coals.

JaneS

I remember my grandmother on the farm using one of those cast iron irons.  She also heated it on the wood stove.  Where I live, I don't remember anything but an electric iron.  We had a gas stove there and no fireplace so the iron was electric.  We did get a mangle at some point.  I think I might have been about 5.  My grandmother ironed all the sheets and pillowcases on it.  And she was FAST!  We also had a wringer washer and 2 rinse tubs.  We still had that when I was in high school and my sister and I did the wash on Saturday morning.  My mother worked and she had to be there Saturdays.  She had Wednesday and Sunday off.  Margie did most of the washing and I did the hanging out and bringing in.  It wasn't easy either.  Thank goodness for automatic washers! 

I do remember an iron being used for a doorstop but I don't remember where or when.  I've seen them at the local antique mall and they aren't cheap.  I remember them licking fingers and touching to see if the iron was hot.  I also remember the cords sparking now and then.  I actually enjoy ironing and it was part of my chores when I was about 12 and older.  My sister hated it so she did the cleaning which I hated....still do!

I got everything on my list that was scheduled for today finished except hemming the black pants.  I didn't get them done before the eye dr. and I couldn't see when I came home.  She dilated my eyes and I I couldn't see much of anything and now it's too dark for black.

Angelface, my dad could do all that stuff, too.  He was one of 7 brothers and they all learned to help their mother and therefore take care of themselves and each other.  And because his job was supervising and teaching inmates in the power plant at the Federal Prison, he could fix just about anything that came down the pike.  As I said earlier, I'm very proud to be his daughter.

As for the toasting over the fire, we didn't do it at home but I'v been a Girl Scout most of my life (as a girl and a leader) and we've cooked just about anything you could cook over or in a fire.  Nothing tastes as good as something you've prepared and waited for at camp.

I hope you are all having a lovely day.  Please continue! 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

angelface555

I had to look up the word mangle as everyone seemed to mention it and I had heard the word before. After seeing a photo, I'm glad we didn't have one as we all survived childhood with ten fingers and toes intact!

Janie, I was also in the Girl Scouts a number of years with my mom as the leader and we went to a camp at Harding Lake for a number of years. At the tender age of nine, I won an award as best cookie saleswoman!  8)  :) It helped that my dad was foreman of the city's public works department..... :thumbup:

Kelly, I sometimes used a washboard in the hills of Kentucky, not fun at all!

Kelly

Hi Everyone
Mangles, Twin tubs washings, stand alone clothes spinner and then the old washboard!

And the washboard was used in the Skiffle groups of the late 1950's and early sixties.

Kelly

Kelly

angelface555

Kelly, what are Skiffle groups? I'm assuming musical groups of some type such as folk groups?

June Drabek

Kelly, good night and sleep well.

It is still light out here in Ca. And I am eating a late supper-snack of cheddar cheese and crackers.

I finally found a way to get rid of all those jillions of back ups...found a place in my System Preferences where I could turn off something called Time Machine. Poof....I am free of back ups.Thank you God.

Had a big lunch downstairs today, hence a light snack tonight.

Had a call from my son..I will have a new recliner delivered tomorrow. I spent about an hour moving things around to make a space for it. Gary and Dori will be here early to instruct me on it's push button usage.

Time for me to take a walk and get ready for an early bed. No nap today, so I am weary. May you all have a peaceful night and a happy tomorrow. God Bless you all, i send you Prayers, Love and hugs. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Lloyd Hammond

I have some of those old flatirons you all were talking about, some with there Owen Handel and some that has a clip-on handle ,one for all. we use one for a doorstop to hold it in place when it is open. I have several antitank's small like the irons to horse drawn machinery.loose hay forks and hay loader ans even a small bale loader,wagons and disks , plows and cultivators, even shop tools and equipment.
Time to bid you all a great good Night and sweet dreams.

Lloyd

JaneS

Went to sleep in the chair and slept through an entire episode of The A Team.  Can't imagine why all that noise didn't wake me.

I'm off to Dreamland (again) so I will say...

Good Night Everyfriend and God Bless Us Every One!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's cinnamon coffee cake to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Signs You're Getting Too Old To Drive...

- You think an SUV might be too small to be safe.

- It takes more than four minutes to get out of your car.

- When backing into a parking spot, you just back up until you hear something.

- It scares you to drive the speed limit.

- The only thing you pass on the road anymore is the Amish.

- You use cruise control because your leg fell asleep.

- You use cruise control at 25 mph.

- You inquired if the dealership could install magnifying glass for the windshield.

- Your turn signal has been on since 2003.

- Your bumper sticker endorses Eisenhower.

Food For Thought

I Loved You Enough . . .
(Author Unknown)

Some day when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them:

"I loved you enough . . . to ask where you were going, with whom, and what time you would be home."

"I loved you enough . . . to insist that you save your money and buy a bike for yourself even though we could afford to buy one for you."

"I loved you enough . . . to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend was a creep."

"I loved you enough . . . to make you take a Milky Way back to the drugstore (with a bite out of it) and tell the clerk, 'I stole this yesterday and want to pay for it.'"

"I loved you enough . . . to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that would have taken 15 minutes."

"I loved you enough . . . to let you see anger, disappointment and tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect."

"I loved you enough . . . to let you assume the responsibility for your actions even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart."

"I loved you enough . . . to make you go to church even when you didn't want to go, so that you'd learn about the most important thing in life."

"But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to say 'no,'when I knew you would hate me for it. Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too."

Thought of the Day

“If you stumbled today, remember where and how it felt.  Tomorrow, take a different path.  Life flourishes from its pain and the lessons we gain.”

~ Dodinsky

:smitten:

Amy

Good morning everyone..
Went to sleep last night with an orchestra of frogs singing and woke to the sound of birds singing..and the loon call echoing across the lake. Great way to wake up!

Finally got my quilt top done yesterday and had a lot of fun visiting with the ladies. Today I am off up north to help a friend before she goes for an operation, she doesn't know it yet but I am going to wash her windows for her. I am taking all the supplies so she can't say no .  :thumbup:
Lloyd,years ago I helped a neighbour with their thrashing and  I got to use a buck rake,are you familiar with that?

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers