Random Image

Going to the Ball

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

January 23, 2021, 05:39:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

Jan 22 2021 12:28pm
Pooch1: One of these days AARP will begin flooding your mailbox, too! (IMHO it's in the business of selling things.)

Jan 21 2021 11:26pm
Oldiesmann: Reader's Digest thinks I'm a senior citizen now apparently. I got a subscription offer in the mail saying they'd approved a "special seniors discount" for me

Jan 01 2021 8:00am
Amy: Happy New Year to you also !

Dec 31 2020 11:16pm
Oldiesmann: Happy new year everyone!

Dec 18 2020 8:22am
mycheal: Ya all stay safe now  >:(

Nov 29 2020 1:51pm
Oldiesmann: You're welcome. Glad you like it :)

Nov 29 2020 11:42am
FlaJean: Thank you Oldiesmann for the colorful site.  I'm  getting into the Christmas spirit of the season.

Nov 26 2020 1:33pm
Oldiesmann: Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. Hope everyone's staying safe :)

Nov 14 2020 2:45pm
Denver: , ,

Nov 12 2020 9:57am
mycheal: Great job, thanks and to OUR veterans a day late Veterans Day (November 11 in the United States) honors and celebrates the service of all military veterans. With respect, honor, and gratitude: thank you for your patriotism, love of country, and willingness

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryc

I had a nice reply already to post here a few days ago and it got lost!!!
    I'm with Tomereader on the character for News of the World.   As I read the book the face of Sam Elliot came to mind.   It's funny isn't it how you visualize a character just by their description. That was a good story and I'll be looking for the movie.
    I did find the Hillbilly Elegy movie and it was surely sad.   I didn't read it at the time it was mentioned here  so the story was new to me.    It did put me in mind of Glass Castles by Jeanette Walls.   I'm amazed at how the children of some families rise above all the drama and go on to be a success and so much more.  The touching thing  is their devotion to the parents who caused so much grief in their lives.
   Marilyne,  I'll never forget THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING.   It was a good and funny story that I've recommended to many friends.   It's interesting though that I only have a few friends who share my interest in that type of story.  Some are totally dedicated to who dun its and others only read biography.   I like Heintz 57 myself though have a soft spot for good family stories.  I just finished MY DEAR HAMILTON.  Anyone who likes historical fiction would find this a good one.
Mary C

MarsGal

Two more library books dropped. I almost forgot to pick up Alone at Dawn which is the true story of John Chapman, Medal of Honor recipient for his action in Afghanistan. The other one is The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. So, I have to put aside two SciFi's I recently started (nothing to to report on those) to read these.

Last night I finished listening to a short novel called One Man's War by Steven Savile. It is a Scifi mercenary story. and I can't say I liked the characters. They liked killing way too much. To counter that, I am now listening to another shortie, How to Survive the Roman Empire by Pliny and Me by Hattie Naylor. It is rather amusing with a somewhat understated humor.

Other than that, the cats and I are spending more time watching YouTube ships and elephants clips at live streams. That has cut into my reading time, but Oscar and Lucy like to watch TV and Shan likes to play. I swing his "fishing rod" toy around for him to chase and jump at while watching.

MarsGal

Yet another book library read just became available. I really like how I make sure to space them out according to when the library estimates a book will be available to me, and yet, they tend to drop within days of each other rather than the week's spacing I try to maintain. Sigh! Anyway, A Borrowed Man by Gene Wolfe is now waiting to be read. It is a first of series about, what else, books. It is billed as a SciFi/Mystery.

Okay, so I returned Alone at Dawn without finishing it. Don't get me wrong, it is a good book, but I already saw a documentary about John Chapman and this book, even though good, spent a lot of time going over the history of Combat Controllers (interesting), It went on to describe other CCT members doing their thing while Chapman just missed or was recovering from an injury to participate in several high profile missions including Desert Storm and the beginnings of our military's mission in Afghanistan. Worthy reading. Maybe I will go back to it another time.

Marilyne

December 15, 2020, 02:15:47 PM #2403 Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:39:57 PM by Marilyne
Well known author,  John LeCarre,  died today, at the age of 89.  He was a prolific writer and is best known for his spy/espionage novels.  The only one I've read, is The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.  It was a very popular book in the 1960's, during the Cold War.  It was made into an award winning movie, starring Richard Burton, Claire Bloom, and Oskar Werner. Other novels that were made into movies, were Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy,  and The Constant Gardener.  All of his movies are playing now on either Netflix or Amazon.  I plan to watch, "Spy Who Came in from Cold", tonight, or soon.

Before LeCarre started writing, he worked many years as an actual spy, for British Intelligence.[/b]

MarsGal

I made short order of A Borrowed Man and The Midnight Library. I didn't care for them. I am, however, having better luck with Jonathan Moore's Blood Relations. It doesn't have the slightly supernatural element to it that others of his I have read, but I am, nevertheless, not disappointed. Once again it is set in the San Francisco area, this time following a disbarred attorney turned PI. I am almost done with it; not sure what I want to pick up next.

maryc

:christmastree: :christmastree: :christmastree:        MERRY CHRISTMAS   :christmastree: :christmastree: :christmastree:
 AND  (HOPEFULLY) A
         :hb2:   HAPPY NEW YEAR    
Mary C

Marilyne

Maryc - Thanks for the cheerful greeting this morning!  I hope all is well with you and Debby, and that you will spend a nice day together, and maybe with the rest of your family as well?  Yes, let's all hope that 2021 will be a better year for everyone.  Couldn't get much worse, so I'm sure it will be an improvement!  Lots of our S&F members now have Covid-19, circulating in their families.  Hope all of us old folks continue to stay well.  I think Shirley, is the only member of S&F to get a case of Covid.  She was quite sick, but took care of herself at home alone, and got through it okay.

Callie - Hoping all your loved ones are much better today, and that it hasn't spread to other family members. 

MarsGal - As I said in B&T this morning, I'm glad to hear that George is better, but sounds like he will not be released from the hospital for some time yet?

MarsGal

I agree, Marilyne. I don't think George will be out soon. Meanwhile, I am trying to think of ways to have his cats taken care of if I get sick before he gets out. Right now, if I get sick I will have to have someone come by and pick up his house key so that they can either evacuate them to the vets for boarding or bring them here. Lily will be a trial to catch as she stays away from everyone (including me most times) except for George.

Meanwhile, when not on the phone with George, the hospital or various friends and relatives, I have had my nose stuck in some books. Two more SciFi books bit the dust real quick. The first looked like it was shaping up to be a drama involving the first expeditions to Mars. I didn't care for diving right away into disagreements and jealousy. The other started off with them main characters, a part of a government fleet, tracking a pirate vessel. So far, so good, but - recovery of goods is split between the original owner, the fleet and the ship's crew. In other words, they are government owned and sanctioned Privateers. The lust for rewards shows and gets them into trouble when the Pirates band together and set a trap. I didn't care for the characters, and I didn't even get to the pirate characters.

So now I am back to reading through a set of eight books, also SciFi, that is just okay. The only reason I continue with this series is that I actually paid for it. I want to get my 99 cents worth.

This coming year I may drop my Audible subscription for a while until I catch up with what I have. I haven't had much success this year curtailing my book buying what with all the deals, discounts and special sales in print books and E-books lately. 

maryc

Mary C

maryc

Sorry about the laughing icon.   It was sent in error!!!!
Mary C

MarsGal

That's okay, MaryC. I just thought you were commenting on my inability to stay away from books and buy books I will never get around to reading before I go to the great Library in the sky.

Anyway, I am now listening to The Politically Incorrect Guide to the British Empire by H. W. Crocker III. I thought it was going to be a humorous thing, but it isn't. Turns out it is part of a series, each book being written by a different author. I am also reading an old book, Carmen's Messenger by Harold Bindlosss which seems to be a melodramatic mystery set in Canada and England. Also reading A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War by Victor Davis Hanson. I hope the chapters are more interesting than the prologue was. I have The Giver by Lois Lowery to listen to before I have to send it back to the library. Good thing it is a short novel.

MarsGal

I finished Carmen's Messenger the other day. It was a good read, with the traditional melodramatic climax with the fight on the caboose landing where the bad guy goes overboard. The other books are progressing slowly. Another book I am reading, and almost done with, is a first in series SciFi about a bounty hunter. The lead character is likeable. Amazon has a January book challenge I am participating in, and the SciFi will satisfy the first of series read.

Marilyne

Mars Gal - It's good that you can concentrate on a book, with all the serious things you have going on in your life right now.  I've been having a tough time in recent months, sticking with a book.  I either have too many other things on my mind, or just haven't found the right book to catch my interest.   The only thing that seems to take my mind off of all the woes of the world, is getting involved in a good TV documentary or movie.  I've been vegging in front of the set, most afternoons and evenings. 

I hope we hear from some of our book friends this week, with some reading recommendations?        

MarsGal

I haven't been up to my usual speed at reading lately, because of George's death and the need to check on his cats a trying to find homes for them (next to impossible these days). However I did finish Gerta last week and am now reading the final book of The Cemetery of Lost Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Labyrinth of the Spirits.

Marilyne

MarsGal - Good to see you posting again. I've been thinking about you every day, and hoping that everything will work out for George's cats.  It's a tough one for you to handle, because I know you want to be true to George, and do what he would have wanted. As you said, it's a bad time now because it's Winter, and people are focused on Covid.   

Are you signed up for Next Door, in your neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods?  I've noticed that there are messages on my Next Door, all the time, about cats that have been abandoned,  or left in houses and apartments when their owner has suddenly passed away.  Local neighbors are looking for new homes for these cats.   There seems to be lots of responses and interest in the problem.  Cat lovers are very sympathetic to a sad story of formerly beloved cats, who are now without a home.  Maybe you could look into joining your Next Door,  and posting a heartfelt message there?

MarsGal

No, I am not signed up for Next Door, but my sister is. She has mentioned it several times as a source of info regarding repair, remodel and landscape/lawn contractors. However, George's GF and executor of the will contacted the Harrisburg Humane Society and has set a date with them to surrender the cats. She must come down here with appropriate paperwork showing that she is authorized to surrender them. My job, in the meantime, is to get the vet's records for the cats.