Random Image

AZ MAR 08 (304).JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

Oops! I must have missed my goof. The whole series is about "a small community of retired spies who are living in a coastal town in Maine". They retirees gather together to enjoy a meal and talk, ostensibly, about books. They Call the gathering The Martini Club.

MarsGal

I just now ran across another retired spy themed book. The audiobook special for today is called Night Owl by Andrew Mayne. Listening to the audio sample, I discover that this retired spy uses a memory palace method to remember things. Previously, the only memory palace I've run across is a novel titled The Memory Palace which I have had sitting in my TBR pile for a few years. I had no clue, before just now looking it up, that the method has been around under various names tracing way back to Cicero. Imagine that! Never ran across it in my undergraduate psychology studies. I would not be surprised, if George was still here, that he was familiar with it in his graduate studies. Anyway, it certainly is a different way to start out a spy thriller novel.

Tomereader1

Spy Coast is really good.  Her other books are too.

MarsGal

I have begun adding to my online library wish list. This morning I got introduced to Hanan al-Shaykh (Beirut Blues and Women of Sand and Myrrh), Bolu Babalola, (Love in Color, short stories), Aoko Matsuda, (Where the Wild Ladies Are, short stories), and Sara Nisha Adams (The Reading List) . Several weeks ago I added Jack Kerouac (Dr. Sax), Tan Twan Eng (The House of Doors) and Neal Gaiman (American Gods).

Marilyne

Mars - I'm three-quarters of the way through The Spy Coast, and really enjoying it.   Great story and wonderful characters.  Fortunately I got the large print  version from my library, that's helping  me to  enjoy I even more!   I had such a hard time with the tiny print in Pandemic 1918, that I finally had to put it away for a awhile.  I'll try again, but would like to find it in large print.

I might have read Jack Kerouac (Dr. Sax), at some time in the distant past, but can't remember for sure.  I know I read a couple of books by him or about him,  but I think that was in the 60's or 70's's.