Random Image

lyme disease

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 06:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

So much to choose from on TV now, that it's overwhelming.  Many evenings, we sit and watch the stupefying HGTV House Hunter style of shows, which are all pretty much alike.  The only ones that are interesting anymore, are the ones that take place in foreign countries, or areas of the US or Canada, that are remote or unusual. I've watched so many HGTV shows that take place along the Eastern coast, from N.Carolina down through the Florida Keys, that I feel like I have actually been there! :D

Other than that, we mostly have been watching movies - old or new.  I do miss Gloria de, so much.  :(  She and I enjoyed a lot of the same black and white movies on Turner.

The other night we watched a brand new movie on Netflix, called Murder Mystery.  It's a comedy, starring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler, as an American couple vacationing in Europe, who get involved in an "Agatha Christy" style of murder mystery.  It's entertaining, if you're looking for something light and funny.

JeanneP

Nothing worth watching on TV for months. I need to find out what BritBox is. I would really like to have it. I have never had anything on but what Comcast let me have and even then I don't want all he Sports and that type of thing.
So does anyone on here have Britbox and can explain
JeanneP

Marilyne

I know there must be others out there watching TV every night, besides me?  If so, let me know what you like or dislike . . .  What you're looking forward to, or what programs you miss?

There are hundreds of show's and movies to watch on Netflix.  I've seen many of them, but have probably just scratched the surface.  The same with Amazon Prime.  Mostly We've been watching Turner Classic Movies. All the best from the 1940's through the 1980's.  Many I've seen way back when, but surprising to me, that there are some good ones I missed, and now have a chance to see them.  The other night we watched Charade, 1963,  starring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. I thought I had seen it in the past, but discovered that I hadn't, so enjoyed it for the first time.  Also, I watched Dear Heart, once again, with Glenn Ford and Geraldine Page, and Angela Lansbury, from 1964.  It's a "feel-good" movie, that I think you all would like, if you have a chance to see it. 

JeanneP - you asked about Brit-Box, and sorry to say that I know nothing about it?  If it's a good channel, then you probably will have to pay for it.  That seems to be the way Television is now.  We pay $12 per month for Netflix, and it's well worth it!   It's on our credit card, so is taken out automatically, every month. 

RAMMEL

Marilyne, - I'm at least looking in here. My wife and son are the big TV watchers here. I do get hooked once in a while, probably something on TCM when wife is watching it. My wife is hooked on the murder mystery stuff and son mostly History. I like the "How Too" shows but most are repeats. So I watch quite a bit of YouTube on the TV. We have a big choice but most not worth the time.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - Do you have Netflix??  Tonight we watched a couple of episodes of the old Twilight Zone, from 1960.  We already went through Season #1, which was from 1959.  I remembered a surprising number of shows from back then, and really liked seeing them again after so many years.  Netflix has the closed captioning set up, plus, the black and white photography looks fresh and new.  I think you might enjoy taking a look, starting with Season #1.   

RAMMEL

We don't have Netflix, but do get Amazon Prime Movies and YouTube.  I'm not much of a movie fan but do like Documentaries and "How To's".  Our Fios package has lots of movies and other "STUFF".  Some interesting and some not so much.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Tomereader1

Jeanne, last time I looked, Brit-Box was $7.99 a month.  It may have gone up, but if you love the British shows, it may be worth your while.  I get Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu, and a great number of the British crime/detective shows are on Hulu, so I didn't opt for BritBox.

JeanneP

I don't have any of those stations on my. Cable. Rely on just the regular ones and comcast has been  bad all summer.wasready to take them off and just go back on the roof Antanna. It does now look like starting sept. Some new shows starting.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Didn't realize how much we owned technology for every thing. Most have Comcast service around here for every. Thing. Also all ties up into WFi. On Thursday  say at 5 pm every thing shut down . 5 counties area. No mobile telephone.ipad,tv.internet.. No wifi anywhere so people , banks banks , stores  Gould not use its machines.  Etc. phones down.  No texting. This lasted until 10 am next day.  Some till noon. And for out of the  ares not workin for 24 hours. Now glad i still have a home line connected.

People want to know what problem was but so far Comcast say they have no idea.

Things now are depending to.  Much on technology to run everything. Going to be big problems

No texting prof reports are anything could be used. No medical in hospitals other than the old way.

Getting scary.
I an not a big tv watcher but seemed lost with it not turned on. Could use home phone it would not connect to people's mobiles
JeanneP

FlaJean

Jeanne, that is scary.  I don't use my cell phone very much but always make sure it is charged in case I need it.  I would rather have a land line but when we moved here we just got a phone hooked to the cable.  It supposedly has a battery life but last time we lost cable we also lost the phone.  If a hurricane heads our way, we will leave the area like we did last time.

JeanneP

I don't understand the Mobile or WiFi because they do seem to work at the time you are out of the range of the Modem in the house. Mine would not work the other night but I could call on my home line to my friends Mobile phone in her house and hers is not going trough her Internet Modem and she got my home line call.I could not call anyone on my mobile. and nothing else worked. I tried Ipad. Amazon fire tablet and another tablet I have along with desktop and TV. Nothing working. People would not be able to dial 911 unless they have a home line and then I don't suppose they would receive if they run on WIFI. All so crazy. I don't even try to learn all that is running anymore.   fact getting tired o Technology. Still can't do much without it now
I use to love learning new things . But now not into Texting and I havent even learing that much about Windows 10 on this new Desktop. doubt I will
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - Sorry you lost your Comcast, for such a prolonged period of time.  You're right, in that we now depend on our high tech connections to the outside world.  We also have Comcast, and when it goes down for any reason, we lose everything too, including our land line.  There are so many Apps that you can get for your smart phone now, that it's mind boggling!  The one that's very popular here, is the Ring Doorbell App.  If the doorbell rings, you just pick up your phone, and you can see who is at the door.  Then you can talk to them from your phone and ask them what they want?  You never have to open the door if you don't want to.  You can even do this when you're away from home, and whoever is ringing, thinks you're home.  A safety precaution, I guess?

Is anybody watching anything on television, that's worthy of mentioning?  As I said in my last message, we've mostly been watching movies, and some reruns of old TV shows from the past, like The Twilight Zone. Those are especially fun to watch, because you see actors who were unknown at the time, (late 1950's- 1960's), and who have since become famous.  Last night we saw an episode featuring Burgess Meredith and Don Rickles.  Remember them?  They had  a long run of popularity, but are now no longer with us.   Some are still living, such as William Shatner.  We saw him in an episode awhile back, which was before he became famous in Star Trek.     

maryc

I hadn't been a big TV person until Debby gave me a Firestick for Christmas last year.  Now I usually watch a movie when I find one that suits my fancy.  Last night I found another one with older actors (my preference).  It was "Mrs. Lambert Remembers Love"
starring Ellen Burstyn and Walter Mathau.  I discovered that I have access to a site called tubi.com through Firestick and that's where I found this movie.
Mary C

Marilyne

Callie - What did you think of the Hank Williams segment of the Country Music special??  I was a little disappointed, in that they left out a lot of the songs that were very popular out here in California.  Two of them were favorites of mine, so I was looking forward to some nostalgia.  Especially, "My hair is still curly and my eyes are still blue . . Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do?" That was a big hit when I was in high school.  Also, Cold Cold Heart, was a biggie.  Maybe they weren't featured because they were both crossover hits?    Anyway, I'm enjoying the program, and looking forward to tonight.

Also, I have, The Last Picture Show, recorded on my DVR, and intend to watch it again when this series is over.  The soundtrack has most of the Hank Williams hits, as well as many other standard Hit Parade music from the same era.

RAMMEL

From a week or two back ---
"September 07, 2019, 12:37:01 pm #1569
Jeanne, that is scary.  I don't use my cell phone very much but always make sure it is charged in case I need it.  I would rather have a land line but when we moved here we just got a phone hooked to the cable.  It supposedly has a battery life but last time we lost cable we also lost the phone.  If a hurricane heads our way, we will leave the area like we did last time."

With tel service over an internet connection it should work for several hours IF there is a local power outage. The internet connection must still be working and also your phone should not need "plug in" power. In other words an old rotary dial or an original type Touch Tone phone. If your Internet connection goes down and your phone service uses the internet connection - it (the phone) will not work. Get out your charged up Cell Phone.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I answered your question about last night's Country Music show in another folder.  Had forgotten where it was!

I wrote:  I enjoyed last night's Country Music program but I wish a bit more time had been spent on the singing cowboys of the movies. 
The first fan letter I wrote was to Roy Rogers and I remember finding the reply (with an autographed picture) propped on the dining room table for me to find.  Excitement reigned! 

The Oklahoma town named for Gene Autry turned its no longer used high school into a museum for Singing Cowboys.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51371-d219024-Reviews-Gene_Autry_Oklahoma_Museum-Gene_Autry_Oklahoma.html

My Bridge Foursome visited it  on one of our two-day jaunts and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the collections.  It's kind of "out of the way" but fun to see.

Tonight's episode was also memorable.  I recognized all of the performers but wasn't familiar with the details of how they started (including Elvis and Johnny Cash). 

That's the only thing I've been watching on t.v. - other than OU and Oklahoma State (no orange on the color chart) football.
I do have Netflix and have also recorded some movies but have chosen to read e-books rather than watch them.
Haven't ever tried to watch that sort of show on YouTube and really wasn't aware they were available that way.

Some drama series I've liked in the past are beginning to start new seasons - Noticed that "Madam Secretary" will be the final season.  Wondering if she'll be elected president. Wish the PBS station would finish reruns of Doc Martin and start Season 7 of that show. 

Rammel,  I still have a plug-in phone and outlets - comes in handy when we have tornado warnings or power outages and I've forgotten to charge my cell phone.  I don't have the same company for phone as I do for computer/t.v. because I don't want to lose everything at the same time.

Marilyne

CALLIE - I agree, that Roy Rogers, didn't get as much notice on the Country Music show, as I thought he would.  Maybe he and Dale Evans will be talked about more, in the segments to follow?  They were both very popular in Southern California, in the late 40's and early 50's.  They built a lovely Western museum in the Desert community of Apple Valley/Victorville, and they also had a ranch there, where they lived.  When RR died, the museum was closed and a new one was opened in Branson, Mo., but I think it's also gone now?

FlaJean

After I graduated high school, I visited my sister in Victorville for a couple of months.  The Roy Rogers Museum hadn't been built yet.  I read on the Internet that the 24 ft statue of Trigger, Roy's horse, was brought back to Apple Valley in 2010 and moved again in 2018 to a better location in Apple Valley.  I loved their theme song "Happy Trails To You".

Marilyne

JEAN - I hope you look back in, because I want to recommend a movie that I think you and Larry will like . . . The Mule, starring and directed by Clint Eastwood.  It's based on a true story, about a man in his late 80's, who becomes bankrupt, and then agrees to drive his truck from Texas to Chicago, delivering drugs for the Sinaloa Cartel based in Mexico. When it was released in 2018, I wasn't interested in seeing it, because I don't like movies or TV shows about drugs.  However, I changed my mind, and I'm glad I did.  This is something very different, and I really liked it a lot, and would recommend it to everyone.  Whether you like Clint Eastwood or not, you can't help liking him in this movie.  He is so good!  I've read a few reviews online today, and also IMDb, and all but a very few agree that it is Clint Eastwood's best movie, and probably his last . . . he is now 89 years old! He was 88 when he made this movie.  It's available free, on many of the On Demand and streaming channels.  Dianne Wiest, plays his ex wife, and Clint's real daughter, Allison Eastwood, plays his daughter.

FlaJean

I'm not a Clint Eastwood fan, but that does sound interesting.  Will tell my husband about it.

Has anyone seen the new Downton Abby movie?  I've heard some terrific reviews about it.  I'll probably wait until it becomes a rental, but I am looking forward to seeing it.  A lot of the original stars are in the movie.

JeanneP

I watched every one of them on TV and even have some on tape. So dont know if I want to go see the Film. Now if it starts where the ones on Masterpiece ended and goes from there I may go see. If anyone sees it let me know where it does start out. I heard in the 1926
JeanneP

SCFSue

I went to the new Downtown Abbey movie late yesterday afternoon with my friend, Bonney.  It was a very good movie, had most of our favorite characters involved and was very satisfying. If you like Downtown Abbey characters and the setting, I think you'll enjoy this movie.

Sue

RAMMEL

I thought I was watching a Comedy on TV today but in time I realized it was our Congress in action. So I switched to "American Pickers" - it must be popular because it is showing up on several days each week now.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

SCFSue

Rammel, I had a chuckle after reading your post about "Congress in Action"!  I think that is a great description of their inaction!

Sue

Marilyne

Rick - American Pickers, is on every night here!  It's usually playing during the dinner hour, and then again starting at about, 10:00 PM. My husband watches it as often as possible, even though most of them are reruns, so he's seen them before.  I like it too, but have grown tired of it over the years, so I don't often watch. It's been interesting watching Mike and Frank grow old!

As for Congress . . . sorry to say that very little is ever accomplished.  We shall see what happens with their latest endeavor?   :-\  ???     

Tomereader1

Marilyn, I came in here to check for anything new...but, oh well.  Sometimes I think that it's not folks not watching TV, but there is SO MUCH TV now with all the streaming and cable channels.  I know I find myself trying to pick something that I can stick with for a bit.  My latest binge is on Prime, "Silent Witness" which I'm sure would NOT appeal to you.  It had 21 seasons, and I'm now on Season 18.  It is a show, with Mystery, about a Pathologist/ME/Forensic Pathologist.  Over the seasons, there have been cast changes, which I have learned to live with. It's intriguing to me, but gets a bit "cut and dried" the longer I watch.  I still have a time trying to figure who "actually done-it". LOL!  Have a great day and evening.

Sasha

Ok, cord is cut, and we chose Amazon Prime, Britbox, and Acorn . Actually, we chose YouTube + , but canceled it when the price went up. I really need to bite the CBS bullet, but it is so evil for them to charge standalone prices.
MarilynE, thanks for letting me sneak in the back door.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

CallieOK

Sunday night line-up:  PBS: The Dorrells on Corfu", "Poldark" - final seasons for both, then the first show of the final season for "Madam Secretary" (now President) on CBS.

Tonight: "The Voice".

:wave:

Marilyne

Sasha -  Good to see you here in Television!  I remember back in the old OLD days of Senior Net, when you got all of your TV recommendations from, "The Living Room"!  8)  I'm laughing here, remembering those long ago fun days. 
As for your streaming choices - I think you picked three good ones. We have Amazon Prime, and Acorn.  We don't have Britbox, but I'd like to get it.

Callie - I've never seen, The Dorrells on Corfu, but I'm going to start watching it, On Demand.  Also haven't seen The Voice, and I think I'm the only one who hasn't.  I stuck with DWTS for too long, and didn't get want to get involved in anymore musical/contest shows.  I've heard that So You Think You Can Dance, is much better than DWTS, but I've never seen that one either.

Tome - you guessed right! Any show that involves a Forensic Pathologist, or a Special Victims Unit, is one that I cannot watch!  That doesn't mean I don't like other kinds of thriller, mystery, gangster, or just plain weird storylines! :crazy2:  Somehow, I managed to watch two seasons of Ozark, and I'm looking forward to Season #3. Hard to find a show that's more shocking! I also like, The Man in the High Castle, but I think I'm the only one in this discussion who has ever watched it??

Sasha - It's available on Amazon Prime. I think you'd like it!

CallieOK

Thought I'd switch the thread on the Netflix series "The Crown" over here from The Library.
Managed to finish the chores of the day so caught up with episodes 4 and 5 .  I agree with those who like the actor playing Lord Mountbatten and also the actress playing Phillip's mother.

Still wish Elizabeth wouldn't turn down the corners of her mouth when she's looking solemn.  It makes her look angry. I did enjoy the scenes at the horse farm.