Random Image

pat-junee

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:42:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

I just watched
5 Floors Up....  It was good.  I enjoyed
it very much...

Thank you
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

There seems to be only one subject dominating our tv's at the moment, whichever country we are living in....To take my mind away from it i will still keep watching the old replays over and over again of Everybody Loves Raymond....It doesn't matter how many i times i watch these repeated episodes they still bring a smile or a laugh to me...
" There is no present like the time "

JeanneP

I watching the old shows also. I do think that they were funnier back then. Not tried any of the Streaming stations yet. Will have to check out if my TV which is 5 years old not can get on them...
JeanneP

FlaJean

I watched "Queen of the Desert" last night on Netflix.  It starred Nicole Kidman and was a true story about Gertrude Bell.  I looked her up on Wikipedia and the movie was pretty accurate although she was more important to history than the movie implied.  Excellent movie.

Marilyne

Jean - I noticed the movie Queen of the Desert, playing on Netflix, but haven't watched it yet. With your recommendation, I'll look forward to seeing it.  I do think Nicole Kidman is a great actress. 

Last night we watched the Academy Award nominated movie, 1917.  We paid for it on our Comcast Pay-per-View, because we didn't want to wait until it went to Free Movies.  We both thought it was very well done, and is based on a true story from WWI.  It's a British Film, so I didn't recognize either of the main actors.  They were both excellent.  There were quick cameo appearances from Colin Furth and Benedict Cumberbatch.  Of course it's a War story, so there is nothing light or cheerful about it.  Very serious movie. 

The only other show that we've watched the past couple of weeks, is the series Succession, playing on HBO and on the HBO streaming app.  There are two seasons available, and so far we've only watched Season #1, which consists of 10 episodes - each one hour long.    It's a good family drama about an extremely wealthy 80 year old businessman, with four adult children.  Full of lots of angst, betrayals, and power struggles.  We liked it a lot, but . . .  FAIR WARNING:  It's absolutely full of the F word.  Seems that nobody can speak a sentence without  using that word in today's new movies or series, so if you want to watch any of the new dramas on TV, you have to get used to it.  After a couple of episodes, I really didn't even notice it anymore.  ::)  The second season is available also, so we'll probably start watching it after a short break.  I read that it will soon be available on Hulu.

FlaJean

Marilyne, 1917 sounds interesting.  I've read a lot about the WWI era.  A sad time and really hard on England—-so many of their young men died.

I've never been a movie buff, but lately have been watching more.  Last night we watched "Jersey Boys".  It was good.  I looked up Frankie Valli on Wikipedia after the movie and was surprised that he is still singing at his age!

CallieOK

Jean, quite a few of these singers are still performing...and shouldn't be IMO!  ;D  (Tony Bennett comes to mind)

My Dad was in WWI and was sent to France.  However, he was a Quartermaster and worked in an office that sent ammo, food and other supplies to the front lines.  Without those workers, the soldiers would have been in big trouble!  I wish someone would tell that story.

I haven't watched any movies recently because I'm trying to finish two long e-books before they're due and disappear. My Netflix list is growing...and now I've learned that there are "a ton" (according to the bill insert  ;) ) of free movies through Contour, which Cox recently made available to all its customers here.

Put that with usual Domestic Duties and playing Daily Challenge and meeting Daily Goals on 4 Solitaire games on Tablet and I can't ever say I have "nothing to do".  :thumbup:

JeanneP

Great TV on  tonight on public tv for a change on Public tv. From 6 pm to 10 pm mid west time glad to see Call the Midwife back on.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

From way bak ---
Quote from: Sasha on January 02, 2020, 04:46:38 PMHappy New Year to those who partake.

I just lined up Mrs Maisel (which, the show, and whom, the character, I enjoy to the hilt) to 3:3:22 and discovered that Miss Ellie, wearing 60s lipstick, was almost on her knees!

Ok, favorite moment, whole series so far: Susie's entrance into B. Altman's. Second favorite: in the car on her way home, Rose sees a bison. 
FWIW - "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" is available from Amazon Prime for viewing (free). Season 1-3.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Thanks, Rammel.   My granddaughter was an Extra in Season 2 and Season 3.

Vanilla-Jackie

It was good to see our UK Queens ( only the 4th time in her reign ) televised 5 minute recorded speech yesterday to the Nation...An address to the Nation is a rare event...only making three previous televised speeches after the Queen Mother's death in 2002, ahead of Princess Diana's funeral in 1997, and about the Gulf War in 1991...I am one who has always been proud of, and have much admiration for our Queen...

Marilyne

Jackie - I commented on the The Queen's broadcast in the new Coronavirus folder.  As you know, I got her age wrong, but have since corrected.  :-[    I seem to be going in the wrong direction - I wonder why? ha ha.  :idiot2:

Last night we watched the wonderful, award winning movie, The Shawshank Redemption.  Very inspirational, and a good lesson in never losing hope, no matter how many bad things happen to you in your lifetime.  Not for everyone, but it was just right for me.  It's free, on Netflix, for anyone who wants to see it.   

JeanneP

I am hooked on watching Highway to Heaven with Michael Landon at 1pm and pm . Cry in every one of them. Always liked him.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

This has been on our tv's news channels.....There are special people in this world then there are extra special people, and this war veteran is just one example, strangely he lives in Bedfordshire which was our home before we moved away....I have to say, that is a grand house he is living in, looks like a mansion...He is raising money for our NHS, re, our coroner-virus situation, and just before his 100th Birthday....Link..

Marilyne

Thanks Jackie  - It's always uplifting, to read or see something nice, amid all the sadness and chaos.  There are lots of people out there, doing kind and generous things for others.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...i just wish i had his stamina..

FlaJean

Marilyne

I'm not doing much reading, but I am doing lots of TV watching.  Of course, the ever present and depressing news, but aside from that, there are lots of good shows and movies playing on Premium Channels, Netflix and Amazon Prime.  I've been making good use of all my MANY channels.  ::)  (Too many . . .  but at this point in life, why not?)

The HBO drama series, Succession, is excellent, and probably the best series we've followed in a long time.  Both Season #1 and #2, were available when we started watching, so they are all online and ready to view.  We are now midway through Season #2, and really enjoying it and trying to not "binge watch", so we can drag it out as long as possible.  Season #3 doesn't start until summer. No violence or thriller type stuff - just lots of family drama. If you don't like shows that use the F word, a lot, then don't tune into this!  Seems no one can speak a sentence without including it, but you get used to it after the first couple of episodes. 

Another drama that we started watching last night, is Waco, the story of the Branch Dividian sect, and the tragedy that happened there, in the early 1990's.  There are lots of documentaries about Waco, available on Netflix and other channels, but this is a dramatization of the situation there, and how it unfolded.  I think there are six episodes, but maybe not that many?  We've only seen the first one, but plan to continue watching.

I see that the Ricky Gervais series, After Life, has come back for a second season on Netflix.  He plays a man recently widowed, who is having a hard time coping with his loss.   We liked it enough that we will watch this new season.  Those of you who know him, know he is a controversial British comedian, but he plays it straight in this show, with just enough humor to lighten it up.  Very enjoyable we thought.

As for movies, we have seen quite a few, and I will have to backtrack to remember the good and the not so good. 
I finally watched the award winning Netflix movie - Story of a Marriage, with Scarlet Johannsen.  Excellent acting, but not a pleasant film to watch.  A hopeless situation.

We've seen lots of oldies on TCM, that we both enjoy. Most we had seen before, in another lifetime, but didn't appreciate them then, as much as we do now.  It takes a level of maturity to relate to many of those wonderful old classics from the 40's, 50's and 60's.  We didn't have that maturity back then, but now we do, and we're really enjoying them. 

If anyone has any recommendations, please post any and all?  Most of us have plenty of time for watching.

phyllis

Just because I needed something light and mindless we've been watching "Cheers" on Netflix.  It was a good show back then and it is a good show now, IMO.  It feels good to laugh at something these days.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JeanneP

I have got to get ahold of Comcast and see if there aren't any other stations that I can get on my TV. Seems like on the set up I have had for a long time. Nothing worth Watching. Even what I get on Basic or Will and PBS stations are all repeats. I thought that "Last Tango in Halifax" that started couple weeks ago was going to be a new series. Wasn't it goes back to 2019.
I still don't have any of the Screening ones on such as Nettflix. Amazon Prime. I figure what I pay every month now is enough. My TV must be about 4 or 5 years old so don't know if its set up to get any of those. Seems to be a lot of them now.
Will just give them a call.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

Phyllis...
... yes agree, i watch, Cheers - Frasier - Everybody Loves Raymond...I dont care how old the programmes are nor how many times i have seen these episodes...they all have that feel - good factor, and for that brief moment, takes away our world turmoil situation by transporting us into another world..

Marilyne

The limited series, Waco, is one of the best that I've seen on Netflix.  I do hope that those who read this discussion, will give it a chance.  The story is true, as you all remember, and according to reviews I've read online, the series sticks with the truth, as told by those members of the Branch Dividians who survived, as well as FBI agents and records.   This show is worthwhile, and I think that most of you will be instantly drawn into the story. 
Note: When you go to Netflix, there are a couple of documentaries about Waco.  This is NOT a documentary.  It's a limited series of six episodes, that dramatizes the event.  The actor who plays David Koresh, is excellent, as well as the main FBI agents, and all others.

FlaJean

Marilyne, I was able to get into s&f with Chrome but not Safari or Firefox.

Waco sounds good.  going to put it in my list on Netflex.

Vanilla-Jackie

I am now watching old dated re-runs on morning tv of " The Golden Girls " never really got into the comedy sit-com years ago but watching it and enjoying it more now...more so that i am now trying to avoid anything C-Virus news updates and purposely swapping it for a bit of humour while i am sitting having my breakfast....

SCFSue

My local TV station has several "Golden Girls" films on every night.  I do enjoy some of the shows, but I don't like the woman who is always looking for a "new" man.  I like the character "Sofia" the mother of one of the "Girls" who live together.  I like Dorothy, Sofia's daughter, Rose who is a bit of a dim bulb, but not Blanche, the huzzy who is out for any man she can get!

Most of the episodes are funny and Dorothy has a way with words, especially when Blanche is being especially a Pain in the Neck!

Sue

Marilyne

Let's hear more about what you all are watching on TV??    I've sampled just about everything over the past two months . .. some very good, and some not so much!  This past week, our Comcast Cable has made all pay channels available to everyone, (one week only), so I've had the opportunity to see shows and movies on channels that we don't get, such as Hulu. 

I've been wanting to see the series, The Handmaid's Tale, but it's only been available on Hulu.  Well, Hulu is free this week, so I started watching it, and of course I'm hooked!    WOW, is it ever good!!  :yikes:    I read the book, by Margaret Atwood, but that was way back in 1985.  After 35 years, I only remember that I liked it, but didn't recall the characters or the details of the story. 

So far I've only watched the first two episodes from season #1, so I have ten more to watch, from that first season.  Then Seasons #2 and 3, are available for viewing.  Of course I won't be able to even complete Season 1, by the time my free week is over on Sunday.   I will then have to subscribe to Hulu, if I want to see more, and of course I will.  ::)   This is so good, that I feel compelled to watch the entire series - all three seasons!  Very clever marketing on the part of HBO, Showtime, Hulu and Netflix.   

MarsGal and PatH2 - I know you both like dystopian and sci-fi novels.  Have either one of you watched this series?  If so, what do you think?

Marilyne

Maybe someone would like to comment on, or recommend, some TV shows or movies to watch?   There is a never ending supply of both . . .  some are free, but some you have to pay for.  Yesterday I watched a free movie from 1993, called Benny and Joon.   I thought it was very good, and different.  It starred Johnny Depp, Aidan Quinn and Mary Stuart Masterson.   She was so good, and I remember her as the star of Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Cafe).   I'm going to look and see if that one is available also?   I'd like to see it again.

FlaJean

I'm not a big Clint Eastwood fan but several of his movies I have liked.  I have the song "Misty" on my bedtime playlist and it always reminds me of his movie "Play Misty for Me" which I liked.  I don't think Netflix has it but maybe Apple does.  I'd like to see it again.  I also liked his movie about the Secret Service "In the Line of Fire"

Marilyne

Jean - I do like Clint Eastwood, but I haven't liked some of the movies he has starred in or directed.  However, most are good, funny, and worth watching.  He has a great sense of humor, and a surprisingly good singing voice!  (I have an old CD of him singing the Johnny Mercer songs, from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.   I didn't care much for the movie itself, but the music was fabulous!   

There are others that he starred in that I think you would like better. Space Cowboys, was excellent. It came out in the year 2000, and also stars Tommy Lee Jones and James Garner.  A funny one that is more recent, and worth watching,  is Gran Torino.  I remember liking it a lot. 

I really enjoyed his most recent movie, The Mule, that came out last year or the year before?  He was 88 years old when he starred in it, and I guarantee you will like it!    He produced, directed and starred in it, if I remember correctly.  Also his real daughter, played his daughter in it.  She didn't have a big part, but good. Clint himself, has such a great sense of humor, and there is a lot of witty dialogue in the movie.  Overall, I thought it was upbeat, with a good mix of humor and suspense.  Someone from this folder recommended it, but I can't remember who it was?  I think both you and Larry, will enjoy it.  Available on Netflix, and probably Hulu also?       

Tomereader1

Marilyne, "Gran Torino" did have humor, but it was a very serious, dramatic movie. I loved it.  Probably watched it three times.  Loved the way Clint called the young man "Toad".
I had posted somewhere about the wonderful PBS airing of "The King and I".  By luck or the grace of God, I did DVR it, without even realizing it.  So I get to watch it again and again.  Turns out it was "the new Broadway production" and it's absolutely lovely.  (I guess you'd have to like Broadway Musicals to enjoy this.)