Random Image

carshow10.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Its warming up now today. Not in the mood to stay home. So making choices. There are 2 movies on I want to see.  Birth of a Nation and The Girl on the train.
think will be Birth of a nation first.  And if still in the mood will pop into the next one The girl on the Train  Take a bottle water, Banana and candy Bar.  Dinner I have in the freezer.
I am so tired of the Politics on TV . Can't wait for it to be over. Never have I seen such goings on with picking a President ever since I came into the country.

I have never voted. Meant to on Clinton and then Obama. but still not registered and would not do it this year for sure.
Did I see a Priest on yesterday telling Catholics that if they did not feel right voting for Pres. Can just leave that spot blank. Vote for who they want in others running for office. Not to feel guilty.  Maybe they should allow the President now in to stay for awhile longer.  Doubt he wants to.  What must the rest of the world be thinking on this.?

Need to take my new glasses back also. Not working for me on the Reading part.

Thats my day.....

Mary.  I hope you knee Operation goes well.  Then I can let my daughter settle on a time and get hers done.  She keeps putting it off.

JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP, I read a review of Girl on the Train that said it was scary.  Will look forward to hear what you think.

Marilyne

JeanneP - I'm interested to hear what you have to say about both Birth of a Nation, and The Girl On the Train?  I've read reviews on both, and they have been mixed.  I think that many of our friends here in this discussion, read Train, and thought the book was very good.  I only read about a quarter of the book, but that was enough for me to know that it wasn't my style.  I didn't like it at all, and thought it was similar to Gone Girl, which I also disliked.

However, Train was a best seller, so I'm sure it was made into a very exciting movie.  Most of the movies coming to theaters now, will be the Academy Award nominees, so both of those may be contenders!  I think it's interesting that the movie companies release all the franchise/sequel/Disney type films throughout the Spring and Summer, because those are the ones that make money.  The ones that win the Oscars are the smaller films that nobody goes to see!   I still feel bad that The Light Between Oceans, was a box office bomb, and only lasted a couple of weeks in theaters.  I'm looking forward to it appearing On Demand. 

Tomereader1

Marilyne, did you ever get your TV fixed?  I don't remember if you posted about that, or not?
I'm with you about the book "Gone Girl", I didn't like it at all. IMHO, the movie rather "helped it out".  Though it was not a favorite of mine either.  I read "Girl on a Train" and also did not care for it.  The movie may lend something to it, but I doubt I'll spend money to see it in theatre.  Maybe when it comes to DVD.  My movie-going friend (reviewer) recently saw "Hell or High Water" with Jeff Bridges and said it was excellent.  Bet your hubby would enjoy it!
I'm having fun with our new SmartTV, watching Bosch, Longmire, and want to get back into House of Cards (preferably after our political mayhem is finished in November!! LOL)
Hoping all our friends in Florida/Carolina are safe.

Marilyne

Hi Tome:  With your permission, I'm posting your review of The Girl On the Train.  It's a good review, and I think many in this discussion will enjoy reading it, especially now that the book has been made into a popular movie. I loved the line, "Let them stew in their own stagnated half lives". That mirrors my opinion on all the characters! ::)

Here is Tomereader's review:

BOOK REVIEW â€" 9-3-15

At or near the top of the NYT Best Seller List for several weeks, “The Girl On The Train” by Paula Hawkins seemed to be a shoo-in for my next favorite thriller.  One of the cover blurbs did give me pause when it made a vague comparison to “Gone Girl”.  But what could go wrong when a young woman travelling on a commuter train every day spots a couple on their deck and in their back garden.  She gives them names and fantasizes about their lives,   while her life couldn’t be less perfect.  Nor the lives of those, once or soon to be, close to her.

The narration switches between our commuter Rachel; the female half of the “perfect” couple, Megan, and the woman who has effectively usurped Rachel’s life and happiness, Anna.  No wonder then that Rachel is suffering from depression and alcoholism with accompanying blackouts.

While I waded through the first 51 pages, knowing something had to “happen”, the author is intent on weaving back-stories into the narration, exposing the characters, warts and all, until the reader’s “who really cares about these people” sets in and it becomes do or die…finish the book and find out who done it, or slam the covers closed and let them stew in their own stagnated half-lives.  I finished the book.

jm

Tomereader1

Thanks for posting that for me!

TV's are getting so cheap, and probably will be cheaper getting close to Christmas shopping season.  Wish I could say the same about computers!  They seem to stay the same price, or go down a bit, then back up again. (I don't see that Macs ever seem to go down!
My problem with installing that new TV of mine, the DVD player (which works great) can't be connected due to either the type of connection, or lack of plug in spaces for the box.  Now I have to buy a new DVD player, guess I will opt for a BluRay.  Am waiting for the stores to start "pre-holiday sale" on this item.

JeanneP

Now I read "Girl on the Train" last year.  Wasn't my best read. So will see the movie and maybe get a few answers from it.

Gosh. they said nice and sunny but I hear the rain on my windows.  Weather men...

.I don't think they know any more than we do.

Did you see where Donald Trump told people to make sure that they went out and voted NOVEMBER 28.  should have said the 8th.  Now the TV making fun of that.I saw where the Not happy Republican Party people are saying that Trump should pull out and allow the man who he picked for Vice President should take his chances.

Can't make up my mind what to do today. For sure not housework. I thought that it wasn't going  to warm out but not bad. Talked my Yard grass cutting man into cutting down the big Hosta's. They really need thinning out although they do fill up the whole area in Summer.

I know I need to take some DVD back to the library. I have gotten into the habit again now of going out to see movies on the Big screen. And boy are they big. We have some big movie Theatres here in town. Each showing about 10 different one . Seat so large and Plush. Some serving beer and wine and snacks now. I sneak my own in in my purse.  I go to the 1:30pm shows and usually just about 8 people in the whole place.
I saw "Bridget Jones Baby" last week so cute.  This week so far I have been to "Birth of A nation" About the slave uprising of Matt Turner.  True Story. Read the book of about 20 years ago its good. I enjoyed the movie but it is showing the cruelty back then. Makes you wonder what kind of white people were living in the South back then. Owning all these slaves but did not seem to be Well Educated themselves. Just owned land. Grew crops and made money by not paying people to work for them.   The men would really like this movie I think. I know they liked the book.

Still want to see "The Girl on the Train". Sort of a strange Book. Want to see what the movie like.

Went and changed those new glasses I got last week.  I just use for reading but Doctor gave me a new prescription to  add a little to distance for driving.  Not ever kept glasses on only when reading. I didn't like the ones last week so they are making a new pair a little different.  Will give them a try. This time just a Bifocal not the 3 way.

I am trying to set up the Texting on my mobile phone also. I don't even want to use it but seems soon one will have to have it on as now seems its all businesses and everything else are saying. We will text you. And you have to have a 5 digit to allow this. To change you Password on some it was that they would call your phone number but now they want to Text one which I can't do on my Mobile phone. I also did not have my Voice mail set up right. Got to work on this.
Now it is really storming so looks like will be stuck in the house anyway. so can play

JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - thanks for the report on Birth of a Nation.  sounds like a good historical movie.  Now I hope you go to see Girl On The Train, and tell us what you think of that one?  It looks like both Tomereader and I, will wait  for it to show up on TV.

My cell phone isn't good for texting either . . . but I can see that the whole world is going in that direction, so I will very likely go along with the masses, and get a smart phone before long. ::)

Jeanne Lee

I refuse to text on my phone.  I have a basic flip phone that is set up for voice calls only and anything else, including incoming or outgoing text, and voice mail costs just to look at it.  So I don't. 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JeanneP

JeanneLee.  I didn't realize until the other day that we were charged for Voice Mail. or it uses minutes which is the same thing.  I took the Text messaging off even though it only added $3 to the bill. But then I found out for the time I was playing trying to get it to work it had already cost me $1.75.  No wonder people say that even though they have 1000 min on their phones with they children always on them one said it cost them a additional $75 one month. I am glad I still have my home line. not going to leave the Mobile turned on only when in the car.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Not much TV viewing going on here.  I missed DWTS last night, so will watch it OD, while I'm eating lunch this afternoon.  The show is too predictable this season, with too much phony stuff going on.  I do like a a few of the couples, so will watch from here on out, just to see them dance.

Hockey season has started, so that takes care of about three evenings a week in prime time. If there is a show that I really want to see, AJ will record the game and watch it later.  He is not devoted to other sports shown on TV, except college football, so I really can't complain.

After an hour of news in the early evening, we usually watch one hour of HGTV every night . . . favorites being Beachfront or Lakefront Bargain Hunt, and Fixer Upper, with Chip and Joanna.  They seem like such a genuinely nice couple, and I love to see their four children!
Does anyone else watch that show? 

Lindancer

Marilyn, I am still watching DWTS, I think I know who will win. My husband was a big hockey fan, Everyone in a while he would go in to see the Islanders play. He even had his own Islander shirt he would wear.  I do watch HGTV in the morning, it is called Create TV in the morning, and I like the travel shows.   I have been to so many of the places they show.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Lindancer

JeanneLee, thinking about you.  I do not text either.

JeanneP, I have not been to a movie in years.  I watch the HallMark stations, TCM, but have not cared for much they have been showing lately.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Has anyone started watching this TV show "Timeless"? I was looking forward to it. Watched 2 but will not watch anymore. Awful.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

Actually, I have been enjoying "Timeless".  Yes, a bit far-fetched, but different and a bit of fun.  The best new show on TV, IMHO, is "This Is Us".  It takes a bit of time (at least it did for me) to figure out what the premise is, but it is terrifically well-acted, good ensemble cast, and a story line (lines) that speak to various issues of our times; i.e. race, women's issues, obesity, family.  May I recommend this TV show to all here?  It airs Tuesday nights, 8:PM on NBC.

JeanneP

I am enjoying "This is Us" also. covers a few things. Not understood where that white family got the little black son from.  Now another show has where it is the same thing. White women had triplets. one died at birth and a coloured baby was abandoned from its mother dying. The took the baby home with them. Can't remember which show it is now. Not a big TV watcher so will have to look for it again.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

That's the show "This Is Us".  The little black boy was left at a fire station, and when the third of the white lady's babies didn't make it, the doctor suggested that they take him. 

JeanneP

But you mean in the 2 weeks it has been on he went from a new baby to a 6  year old. The first one I saw she just could not be close to this new baby when she brought it home. Now didn't she still have two along with it.? But she now shows having a heavy set little girl. another boy and then the coloured boy.  Maybe it was on last season and the first one I saw last week was just showing what happened.  This is where I lose myself when I dont watch TV much
JeanneP

Tomereader1

That's what is so hard to keep up with...They utilize lots of "flashbacks".  The grown man who has just found his father, is the little boy.  And it wasn't on last season.  It is a new show.

Marilyne

Timeless, hmmm? I'm confused already, and I haven't even seen the show! ::)  There are so many shows playing now on all the channels, plus HBO, Showtime, etc., and now we even have Netflix and Amazon streaming to check out. It's overwhelming!

I did see a show on the USA Channel, that's equally as weird, called Falling Water.  It's all about dreams, and people having a dream that they believe really happened. I think so anyway, but not sure?  I didn't care much for it, so doubt that I'll keep watching.

Tonight we'll be watching the final Presidential debate. :yikes: Only a couple of more weeks, and this miserable election will be over! :-[     

Tomereader1

Marilyn, have you seen "This Is Us"?  Like I said, on NBC.

JeanneP

Boy. Now I am confused.  You say that the grown man who just found his father. I am not in the same show. In the one with the White mum. White father. one boy, one girl and the the black boy.  But the one who just found his father is sort of Rich, Black , married to a Black lady. Seems we have 2 shows going here. going to have to watch better next week.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

No, Jeanne, we are watching the same show!
White mother, white father, 1 white son, 1 white daughter (sort of heavy), 1 black son (adopted at birth to replace their triplet that died at birth).  The Rich, black guy, married to a black wife is the "adopted black baby"---now grown up!  (They have two little blackdaughters)  He located his biological father, who is currently living with them, but is very ill. Get the "flashback" part of the story yet??

Marilyne

Tome - No I haven't seen This is Us.  I have a difficult time seeing anything on broadcast TV, because AJ will not watch a "story" style show that is interrupted by commercials.  He is OK with commercials on a show like Pickers, or a sports event like a hockey game, because that doesn't involve following a specific story line. He'd rather wait for the dramatic show, detective show, et al, to show up on Amazon or Netflix, so he can watch it without interruptions.  However, no reason why I can't watch This is Us by myself on the bedroom TV, and I will plan to do that next week. :)

JeanneP

Now is that white son and the heavy daughter suppose to be 2 of what was triplets?
I will watch it closer next time on. No problems following flashbacks in books but this on TV. needs figuring out some.
JeanneP

JeanneP

You can find the prev. shows here on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5555260/ for  "This is Us" Explains a little if you havn't watch the first 2.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

Yes, Jeanne, the white son and heavy daughter are two of the triplets!  As I mentioned in my very first post It takes a bit of time (at least it did for me) to figure out what the premise is, [/u]

JeanneP

If anyone is watching the show on Masterpiece Theatre. tonight. On the Family who went from UK to live in Corfu.  Take a good look and see if you think that the lady who is the Mother in it is a Older Judy who played for years on "As time goes bye"

Bet Mary will know. Think she follows all the Public Television Shows.
JeanneP

Sandy

Moira Brooker  played Judith in
     As Time Goes By..

Keeley Hawes  plays Louisa Durrell in
  the The Durrells in Corfu
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

CallieOK

What do those of you who are watching Dorrells In Corfu think about the characters?