Random Image

Fe in her Mexican Dress

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:11:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Not sure if I mention it,  but I am watching "Twin Peaks" on Showtime. 
2 seasons of it.    As showtime is going to offer 18 more new episodes of it in a few weeks.

Twin Peaks is awesome..   And one of the first series offered to us back in the Early 90's..

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

mary - you said you have the Roku box?  I wonder if that's the same as what I have . . . which is the Roku stick? 
FlaJean - Maybe we should look into the Apple box?  So many options out there, but I have a feeling we will have to be making some changes.
I would just as soon buy a new "smart" TV, but it seems a shame, when our picture is clear and beautiful for every channel except Netflix and Amazon. 

Sandy - I remember really liking the original Twin Peaks, from the early 1990's.  Lots of quirky characters! For some reason, the only character I remember was a woman named, "The Log Lady", who carried a small log around with her wherever she went. :crazy2:  I know I'll like watching those shows once again, as well as the brand new season.     

Sandy

I didn't watch the original Twin Peaks,  but I am certainly enjoying the reruns on ShowTime.     And I am looking forward to the 2017 version of it,  when it comes out in a few months.   

I am also watching the Black List from the beginning on Netflix...

I have found plenty to keep me occupied since
I unplugged from cable (except the starter package)...   

Never again will I spend/waste my time on Politics and Current Events.   

I choose to live in the land of "Denial"....
And I am  a much happier person,  because of
it. 

Sandy
:D

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

I was genuinely shocked to see that Debbie Reynolds died today - just one day after her daughter, Carrie Fisher. Apparently she had a stroke, while planning the memorial service for Carrie.

Those of us who are seniors, remember Debbie, from her movies in the 1950's and into the 60's.  Her best, IMO, was Singin' In the Rain, with Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor. A great movie musical, that I never tire of watching.  Who will ever forget the scandal, when Eddie Fisher divorced her for Elizabeth Taylor! 

FlaJean

I also think Debbie Reynold's best movie was Singing in the Rain.  I didn't realize how accomplished Carrie Fisher was as a writer.  I always just thought of her in connection to Star Wars.

Marilyne

Monday I watched the Rose Parade, and it was gorgeous as ever!  The HGTV channel does a great job of showing the parade, with very little chit-chat, and no commercials!  Then came a couple of bowl games, and other games this week as well. I'm not a big football fan, so usually do something else, or go to the bedroom TV and watch PBS or HGTV. (No Premium channels or Netflix on that set.)   Yesterday I watched the old Alfred Hitchcock movie, Shadow of a Doubt, 1943, on Turner.  It was good, but not as good as the later Hitchcock's, like Vertigo or North By Northwest

Has anyone seen any of the newer movies on TV or in a theater?  My daughter went to see the new musical, LaLa Land, and was crazy about it!  She was so enthusiastic, that I actually think I might go to see it!  Maybe next week?  :-\

FlaJean

The last movie we saw was "Sully" and it was outstanding.

Marilyne

Jean - Thanks for reminding me about Sully!  I can't believe I had forgotten all about it.  I didn't see it listed on the movies, but I was probably only looking at the free ones. We will gladly pay the $$$'s to see it.  Still much cheaper than we would pay to go to a theater . . . and a lot more comfortable too!  :)

Lindancer

Marilyn, I also enjoyed The rose Parade, on HGTV, which in the morning here in NY is called Create TV I like the travel shows and This Old House

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Marilyne

Gloria de - I watch HGTV a lot.  There is always some program on that interests me.  I like some of the home make-over shows, but not all of them.  My favorite is Fixer-Upper, with Chip and Joanna.  I used to like Love it or List it, but it seems to have changed lately, and is not as good.  I don't care for The Property Brothers.  I do like all of the shows where a couple chooses between three houses - especially the ones in beach towns along the different coastlines of the USA.

Marilyne

I haven't started on any of the new TV shows or continuing series on Netflix or Amazon.  I'm looking forward to The Man in the High Castle, so hope to start watching it this weekend.  Also, Homeland will begin it's final season later this month.  I've been a faithful viewer for all the years it's been on, but like most series shows, there's too long of a wait between seasons, so you tend to lose interest and go to other shows.
Sandy - If you're looking in here today, you might consider giving Homeland a look.  All seasons are available on Showtime.  Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, and Damian Lewis are wonderful.  If you watch the first season, you will be hooked!

Cleopatra, is playing tonight on Turner. They always use the word "lavish" to describe this movie, starring Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and Rex Harrison.  I get a kick out of watching it, because I remember the scandal associated with the production . . .  when Liz, dumped husband Eddie Fisher, in favor of Richard Burton.

Tonight on  PBS, Great Performances, will be showing Bel Canto, The Opera, based,on the best seller book by Ann Patchett.  Those of us who read and liked the book, might enjoy seeing this musical production.

"The opera tells the gripping contemporary story of the 126 day hostage crisis at the Japanese Ambassador's house  in Lima Peru, in 1996-97. Like the novel, the opera explores the tensions and unexpected alliances between the terrorists and their hostages." 

Tomereader1

Marilyne, I will be DVR'ing "Bel Canto - The Opera".  I hope they do a good job of it.  The book has to be one of my all-time favorites, and one that I have read and re-read many times (at last count, I think five).  This was the book that got me interested in reading novels by Ann Patchett.

Sandy

Quote from: Marilyne on January 13, 2017, 12:10:52 PM
Sandy - If you're looking in here today, you might consider giving Homeland a look.  All seasons are available on Showtime.  Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, and Damian Lewis are wonderful.  If you watch the first season, you will be hooked!

Marilyne   I am watching homeland and am waiting for the rest of this series.   

I like it very much,  but it is sooooo dark  and I suppose this realism  is  hard for anyone to watch.     But like you,  I am hooked.     

I am also hooked on "The Affair"  which has just restarted....  Unfortunately,  they are spending too much time on Noah this time and I am hoping that soon will change.     It is getting kinda creepy (IMHO)  but I did enjoy prior seasons,  so I am hoping for the best.

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Sandy - "The Affair" is one that I haven't watched.  It originally played on Sunday night at the same time as "Downton Abbey", and I chose to watch DA instead. Now I can watch it any time I want, which I will probably do, now that you've reminded me! :)

Another one that I got hooked on, was/is, "Girls".  At first I thought I could never relate to that generation of young women living in today's Brooklyn . . . but I watched a couple, and was fascinated by the whole lifestyle!  Lena Dunham - creator/writer/star, is unbelievable, but I guess that is actually her real life personality! LOL  Very entertaining!

Tome:  I'm going to DVR "Bel Canto", tonight too. AJ just now went to the library, and I asked him to pick up a copy of the book, so I can review it before watching the opera.  He also read and liked the book, so plans on watching with me.

Marilyne

The Inauguration: An American political drama - unfolding right before our eyes!  News junkie that I am, I was glued to the TV all day yesterday. Very important, for us to see what plans the new administration has for our future.  It doesn't matter which side of the fence you are on, or what party you support - the pendulum will swing back in the other direction in due time.  It's amazing how quickly four years fly by. 

I stuck with CBS most of the day, because I do like Scott Pelley, and his team of reporters. They seem "middle of the road" to me - not as slanted in either direction as the other news channels.  We also watched the luncheon, parade, and clear into the evening hours, for the inaugural balls.  Now . . . to sit back and see what happens next? :dontknow: 

Lindancer

Marilyne, I guess most every one was watching the inauguration yesterday. I had a 1PM doctors appointment in the middle of it.

Tomorrow night I will again watch Victoria.

CallieOK

I'm still watching "Monarch of the Glen" on Netflix.  Next up is Episode 3 of the 2nd season.  I'm enjoying it - particularly the feisty antics of the "old laird" and his pal Kilwilly - but I'm getting a bit weary of Archy's obsession with Justine!

Did I read somewhere that "Call The Midwife" begins a new season tomorrow night?     

Marilyne

Gloria de - I haven't seen Victoria, as yet. there is so much to choose from every night, that I lose track! Maybe tonight I'll check On Demand, and start catching up!

Callie -  I never watched Monarch of the Glen, so maybe it's time for me to take a look on Netflix.  I didn't realize it was playing there.  So many shows - so little time! ::)

I haven't seen a movie in a long time, so maybe i'll find something to watch this afternoon?  So cold and miserable here today, that staying home for another day sounds good to me.  I was going to the store, but think I'll make do with what I have here, for dinner.   

Marilyne

We watched the movie, Bridge of Spies, last night.  It was excellent, and true to the real circumstances during the Cold War. It made my husband and I realize that our generation, is the last one to actually remember the Francis Gary Powers/U2 incident, in 1960. 

So many serious things of worldly importance  that happened in the 40's, 50's and '60's, that we remember - and when we're gone, there will be no one left who can say where they were, and what they were doing on Dec. 7, 1941, or  VE Day, VJ Day, and all of the important days that followed.  I can remember the radioactive cloud that drifted over Southern California, following an atom bomb testing in the Mojave desert! :yikes:  Time marches on . . .

Sandy

I have been hooked the last couple of weeks on Eight seasons of "Dexter" on Showtime.           

I love this series....  (dark as it may be)...  :crazy: :eek:

I am going to miss it.  (I am in the sixth season right now)
Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Sandy - Dexter, is another series that I've heard much about, but have never seen! It gives me a nice secure feeling, knowing that there are still lots of shows out there that I haven't seen, but will be waiting for me, when or if I choose to watch them! :thumbup:

Sunday night, we watched the PBS Civil War drama, Mercy Street.  This show was the first in Season #2, and it was pretty good. (They crammed a bit too much into one hour.) 
After that, came the second episode of this season's Homeland.  I really liked it,  much more than I did last week. A very tense storyline, with appearances by all the regulars . . . Quinn, Saul, Dar, and even Max, from the very first season! 

Sandy

Dexter is not for  everyone...  But I particularly enjoy the actors and even though the story is  a bit bazaar, I am enjoying it very much,  the second time around.   

For me it is well worth the time that I have spent re watching all Eight Seasons.     

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

FlaJean

Watched Ghost Writer on Netflix.  It was a movie by Roman Polanski about an ex British Prime Minister.  Apparently it had reference to Blair and his close association with US and the Iraq War.  Larry and I enjoyed the movie.  I didn't care for the ending but it was realistic for the movie.

Marilyne

Not a good day for me today, so I'm going to spend my time with a book and/or the TV.  I just looked at the TCM schedule, and see that Doctor Zhivago, is playing this afternoon at 1:30.  Always in my Top Ten list of favorites, so I'll look forward to watching it once again. 

FlaJean - I don't remember ever hearing about Ghost Writer?  I tend to like movies that are about an actual event in history, which is why I liked Bridge of Spies.  I realize that they fictionalize some of the characters and of course the dialogue, but still . . . the situation actually occurred, which makes it all the more interesting to me. 
Doctor Zhivago, is a good example too.  A fictional story, that starts at the beginning of the Russian Revolution, and follows through to near the end, when the Soviet Union was formed.  The story is so romantic and realistic!  I learn something every time I watch it.     

Tomereader1

I'm assuming that the "Ghost Writer" refers to the novel "Ghost" by Robert Harris.   The original ghostwriter has died under questionable circumstances. The new ghost writer arrives to finish the memoir of a former British Prime Minister.
The book is very good, tense and well-written.  A movie was made of it, and I felt it stayed within the parameters of the novel.  The ending comes as somewhat of a shock, both book and movie.  Well worth your time, especially if you are a connisseur of mysteries/thrillers.  I recommend.

Lindancer

Marilyne, and the great music score for Dr. Z

Marilyne

So sorry to hear that Mary Tyler Moore, has died. Not much on the news as yet, but I'm sure there will be lots of tributes to her long career in television and the movies. She was 80 years old. 

JeanneP

Seems like her first husband just passed a few months ago.  I really liked her show. I think she had been a diabetic for many years.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

My bad...the movie title is "The Ghost Writer".  The book title is "The Ghost".  I pulled it up on Netflix last night and rewatched.  Still good.

Marilyne

I had forgotten that Doctor Zhivago, is three and a half hours long!  Every minute is worth watching! There is an intermission half way through it, so I recorded it from the point, and will watch the second half this afternoon.  It is certainly an important movie, which explains the Russian Revolution, and the havoc it created for the entire country.  The story and the acting by all the main characters is something that I never tire of watching.

Tome and Jean - I don't recall ever hearing about Ghost Writer, but it also sounds like another good historical movie.  It must be based on facts, if it's about Tony Blair, being as he is still alive?