Random Image

smaller pic of Maeve

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Callie - I just now saw your message.  I think we were posting at the same time.  I agree with you on all points, except that I did think the tour bus group was a funny touch -if only to show the total contrast between the "elite and the common folk".  ::)

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I was a bit "snarky" about the tour group segment.  While I agree with you that it was fun to watch  (and that the Chicago couple were a hoot), it did add to the show's length.
I just read a news story saying there are two cards prepared for each presentation - one on either side of the stage.  I think Faye Dunaway walked out carrying the card so she may have been handed the wrong one as she came on.
I don't remember which presenter on which side had come out with the Best Actress card.

One would think Batty or Dunaway would have noticed Emma Stone's name on the card and realized it wasn't the one for Best Picture.   However, it was pretty obvious that the show was running waaaay longer than it should have and the final awards were being rushed.

Warren Beatty always looks as if he's out..."somewhere", IMO.    ;)

A few friends and I will go to the smaller movie house in the suburb where we live - but none of us can manage the ones in the malls any more.  Fortunately, the local theater has quite a few first-run movies. 

Sandy

I stayed up and watched the Academy Awards.... 

When Beatty and Dunaway  came on,  I thought wow,  he is really out of it... 

Well he wasn't and they gave him the wrong card...   

I can understand just how confusing that must have been for him.   He realized that there was a problem, so he stepped back (which made him look like a dunce) ...  but "stuff happens" sometimes,  and I understand just how confusing it must have been for him...     

They gave  him the wrong card ...
And made him and Dunaway  look foolish, 
but they owned up to the mistake and apologized ...   which changed everything,  as far as I was concerned.

IMHO,  that was a pretty bad mistake,  as far as mistakes go,  but I certainly do not blame
Beatty and Dunaway,  now that the truth has come out.     

Such is life when the Academy Awards screw up!   

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

CallieOK

I'm not one to hunt up stories on things like the Academy Awards goof - but news items I've seen on my internet opening page this morning have all commented on how gracious and civil the actors from both movies were to each other on stage.
Fine examples of behavior in an awkward situation, IMO.

Onward and Upward!

Marilyne

Callie, the stories about the Oscar goof have been on my Google news/home page all morning as well.  It's good to see that both sides are being nice about it. 

Sandy - I'm glad that you also watched the show. It must have been pushing close to midnight, in your time zone?? 
Warren Beatty did look to be very confused, when he first walked out.  I looked him up, and see that he's 79 years old, so would be expected.  His sister Shirley, who is 82, seemed more at home.  She's still doing movies, so is likely more at ease in front of the crowds and lights.

Chia

I too watched the awards from beginning to end..Had not seen any of the pictures but certainly heard a lot about them.. I for one am a Jimmy Kimmel fan after watching him entertain at an Annual White House Correspondents Dinner  where the President of the United States is present..and lo and behold I read this morning that President Trump will not be at that annual show this year...So sad he has such a thin skin..Things moved along as fast as they could and again, I thought Jimmy Kimmel's delivery of the jokes prepared were in good enough taste to satisfy me..I thought the presenters dresses were lovely and unless I dropped off, did not notice any low cut gowns to comment about..and I also enjoyed seeing candy dropped from the ceiling...and it seemed the crowd did also..I am sure that every year someone tries to think up something not done before, and this year was the year that the bus full of tourists happened..It seemed like a good idea, but I think it fell apart when apparently lots of the passengers had cell phones and knew  where they were  going...but....good try...Whether I am still here next year is the mystery of the ages, but for sure that the Academy Award show will be here for Marilyne and others to enjoy

Marilyne

Chia - Good to see you here again, and to read your comments/opinion of the Academy Awards. I hope you return often, and tell us what you think of various TV shows or movies that you've seen. 

I hadn't seen much of Jimmy Kimmel, until last night's show, but I thought he was as good, or better than some of the former Oscar hosts.

Quote from: Chia on February 27, 2017, 05:06:05 PM
"Whether I am still here next year is the mystery of the ages, but for sure that the Academy Award show will be here for Marilyne and others to enjoy"
It is "the mystery of the ages", Chia, but I'm betting that you and I will be here next year, as well as everyone else who posts in this discussion! Hold that thought! :thumbup: 

Jeanne Lee

I haven't been to a movie in almost 40 years.  And it's even longer than that since I bothered to watch the Oscars (or other awards).   :D 

Who/what is Jimmy Kimmel?

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Tomereader1

Kimmel is late night TV comedian, along the lines of Johnny Carson's show.

JeanneP

I still prefer to watch the good Movies That I know I will enjoy, on the big Screen.
You would not recognize the theaters now. Screen so big. colour good. sounds and very comfortable seats. One of our seats like you lounger at home.  Can get a beer or cocktail
I if you wish.  Can get food out in the front area. Not bring into Theatre
I saw "Lion" there last week.  And waiting now for "The zookeepers Wife" and "British Kingdom" to come on.  Each of the Theaters can show 14 movies at same times. Nt a cheap time out for families anymore but they do have a senior price during the day
JeanneP

JeanneP

I don't think that any of them on now can come up to "Johnny Carson" was just something about him.  I didn't care for David Letterman at all
JeanneP

Marilyne

Jeanne Lee - Glad you stopped by this morning!  Maybe we can inspire you to watch some movies on your TV?  Lots to see, and I'm sure someone in here can give you suggestions as to some good ones that you might like. 

As Tomereader said, Jimmy Kimmel has a late night, live TV talk show.  I've only seen it a couple of times, and would watch more, but it comes on too late for me.

Lindancer

Good afternoon,on a bright sunny day, on Long Island,NY

Yesterday, I came in to post my review, wrote a long one, got to the last word, and pushed the wrong button and it was gone. I will try again to day, most likely not as long.
I stayed up and watched the whole show. I thought Jimmy K. was  a very good clean host. the first time in a few years I really enjoyed the show. Of course in my thoughts no one can top Bob Hope or Johnny C. With those thoughts my age is showing (93) Most of the gowns were beautiful this year, I don't really care for the plunging neck lines to the waist, but of course this is a new day and age. I wonder how the person talking to the star, keeps there eyes from traveling.
I did not care for some of the hair dues. One looked like a fright wig, another, looked like she came out of the shower etc.Most were beautiful.
I agree, I thought both sides handle the mix up very gracious. there are some people in this world, that should take a lesson from those actors and actresses.  Of course this post is only and old ladies opinion :)

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Jeanne Lee

Marilyn, I haven't even seen any current movies advertised that I would be the least bit interested in seeing.  No, I take hat back...  the one with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith I might watch when it comes on TV  But most of them today are too full of violence, drugs and foul language for my taste.  I do watch some of the old ones on the antenna channels - METV, GetTV, ThisTV....  I saw Citizen Kane a couple of months ago and a couple of other real oldies, still in black & white.  Nothing today can measure up IMO.   :) 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

RAMMEL

In with the good late nite show people I would like to add Steve Allen, who I believe started the "Late Nite Show" thing.  Then there also was Ernie Kovacs and Edie Adams (a bit more slapstick).

They just don't make em like they used too.  :(
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - I'm in agreement with you on Steve Allen!  He set the standard for all the Tonight Show hosts that followed.

The first late night show I remember, was in the 1950's when I was in high school.  It was called Broadway Open House, and the host was a guy named Jerry Lester.  Very slapstick, but very funny.  He often featured a tall blond young woman named Dagmar.  Does anyone remember that show?

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on February 28, 2017, 11:19:43 PM
Rick - I'm in agreement with you on Steve Allen!  He set the standard for all the Tonight Show hosts that followed.

The first late night show I remember, was in the 1950's when I was in high school.  It was called Broadway Open House, and the host was a guy named Jerry Lester.  Very slapstick, but very funny.  He often featured a tall blond young woman named Dagmar.  Does anyone remember that show?
I don't remember that particular show but I do remember Dagmar.  I always was waiting to see just what new thing Steve Allen had awaiting us.  Man in the street, rooftop stunts, weird people --- always something new and interesting.  I also remember his piano thing, where he would create a song or piece of music from a few notes from a spectator.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Like you I dont go on the comedies of today, what they call " stand up " comedy, not a patch on the clean cut comedies of our day, sadly most of those entertainers have now departed from us, it is all a new breed of talent-less comics we get on our tv's today...

Some of the comics I am referring to, to name just a few, which some are still with us, are the likes of...

Les Dawson
Ken Dodd
Tommy Cooper
Charlie Drake
Bruce Forsyth
Dickie Henderson
Max Miller
Morecambe and Wise...Erick Morecambe and Ernie wise
Des O'Connor
Tommy Trinder
Max Wall
Charlie Williams
Jimmy Edwards
Tony Hancock
Roy Hudd
Spike Milligan
Harry Secombe
The Two Ronnies...Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett...
Mike and Bernie Winters
Norman Wisdom
Harry Worth
Hylda Baker
" There is no present like the time "

Sandy

I tend not to live in the past.... but do enjoy remembering  shows,  actors,  comic and/or classical or method actors of all sexes.       

I know what I like when I see it,  and am constantly surprised by the number of very talented people that I run into as I watch shows from Netfix, Amazon Com,  Showtime etc.      YouTube also streams many, many programs that I can not get on my simplified version of Cable.     

And if I am in the mood for shows of the past,  they are all out there too,  just waiting to be streamed... 

I sure am lucky to have so much available  to choose from....  These keep me from ever getting bored. 

I value my "Roku" which consolidates the shows that I enjoy
and depend on. 

Have a great day,  everyone!
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

I dont think I was ever a lover of going to the cinema but, if I remember right, and judging by when the film was released, I did go to the cinema to watch " Grow your Own..." around nine years ago....then again a few years later it was shown on our tv....Yes the title says it all...it was about an allotment but, classed as a comedy but with a serious story attached to it...the basis of the story if no one has seen the film is based around a group of refugees but, mainly it is focused on one male traumatised refugee who working on the allotment is gradually brought out of his shell, and the fight to keep part of the allotment from being sold......Link to trailer of the short film.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ffYWrpwZ70
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

Gloria de - I'm glad you enjoyed  the Oscar show too.  I agree with you, that no one can ever top Bob Hope or Johnny Carson. 
I saw your message in Soda Shoppe, that your grandson is now walking with a cane!  I'm so happy for him and for your daughter in law too. I'm sure he will continue to improve, and some day, he will be able to walk without the cane!  :thumbup:

Marilyne

It's always surprised me, that so few of the seniors here in S&F, and others that I know in person, are not at all interested in the movies.  They've always been a part of my life, since I was about three years old, and my mother took me to see "Snow White".  Then came "The Wizard of Oz", and lots of comedies starring Bob Hope & Bing Crosby, or Abbott & Costello, or musicals with Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney.  I think the first drama I ever saw was "Reap The Wild Wind", with John Wayne. It made a big impression on me, and to this day, I will watch it when it plays on TCM.

During my elementary school days, I went to the Saturday afternoon matinee every week, with girlfriends or neighbors. It was what everyone that I knew did, back in the 1940's. So I guess I absorbed a large variety of movies over the years, and they definitely set the background for my love of movies to this day.

Chia

I just read 3 reviews of a program to be shown this coming Sunday on FX named Feud starring great actresses, Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange portraying  Bette Davis and Joan Crawford..It seems all the reviewers agreed on gushing terms what a great story this is and will be followed by others about these 2 actresses...
I must make a note on my calendar to check it out...now also to check if I have the FX channel...

Marilyne

Chia - Thanks for the tip on the upcoming FX show!  Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange, are both great actresses, and I'm sure they will do a good job of portraying Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.  Like you, I'm going to have to do some research, and see if I can find the FX channel? :-\

Lindancer

Good afternoon, on a windy March, yesterday the wind gust got up to 50

Marilyne, I also grew up with movies as part of my life. They cost a whole fifteen cents.  Every Sat. when I was a kid was spent in the movies, 2 movies, a short, comedy plus on weekends a serial I remember one was Flash Gordon. I was living in Charleston when they made Reap the Wild Wind, and they had to cover the streets on the Battery with sand and dirt. As for Snow White with took Dennis to see it, he was also 3, when the witch came on he started to run up the aisle.

CallieOK

My parents began taking me to Shirley Temple movies when I was still young enough to think she was actually in town staying at the hotel and wanted to go play with her.

In Elementary School,  I sometimes spent Saturday with a friend whose parents owned a department store in our small home town.  She and I would see a "Western" movie at the Pix theatre in the morning - have lunch at the store - and see a "Jungle" movie at the Thompson theatre in the afternoon.

The balcony of the Thompson wasn't restricted seating but it was well-known that it was Teen Territory.  I only remember seeing adults there one time - when some parents were checking up on their daughter (no, they weren't mine.  ;D )

I will be glued to the television in the morning (Monday) and have the DVR going because my granddaughter is going to be on the Rachael Ray show!
She lives in New York and had gone to see the RR show several weeks ago.  The audience was asked if there was anyone who had never had their ears pierced and would be willing to have it done on the show.  She was the only one who put up her hand - and went back to the studio the next week to tape the segment.

It will be part of a "Never Have I Ever..." theme show tomorrow (Monday, March 6) and, from the picture she posted on Facebook, I guess it will actually be done on stage.

The RR show comes on at different times in different areas, but if you care to and are able to watch..... you can say, "I know that girl's grandmother"!  :)

Marilyne

Gloria de - I forgot to mention the Jeanette McDonald/Nelson Eddy movies!  I must have seen those musicals when I was very young, because I remember some of them now, when I see them on TCM. I also remember my mother singing,  "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life At Last I've found Thee", in a false soprano. ;D

I'm not surprised that the wicked witch in Snow White, scared Dennis, and he wanted to get out of there!  My mother told me that lots of the children in the theater started crying when the witch came on the screen, and that I hid under the seat. LOL!  I don't remember it at all.

Lindancer

Marilyn, I think I saw all of Jeanette Mc. movies.  Just last Sunday I watched her in SAn Francisco, with Clark Gable. Had not seen that in years. The earth quake scenes for amazing for that day and age.

JeanneP

Callie.  I will be sure to turn on RR show tomorrow.  Comes on her at 3pm.  I was afraid to get my ears pierced also. Would not have put up my hand. I know I was about 45 years old when I did get them done.  Now I would like to have them with another hole higher so could leave small diamonds
in. Lots of friends have that.
I have had the same earrings in for past 30 years now. Same for the gold chain I wear. Never take them off.
JeanneP

Chia

Well...I found the FX channel that presented the ongoing series Duet...starring Susan Sarandon and Jessica Lange playing Joan Crawford and Bette Davis about the  successful movie they  made together, "What ever happened to Baby Jane"...and all the back stabbing and rivalry between these 2 divas..
The movie was in black and white and very scary but interesting and it won all kinds of awards at that time.. When it comes to awards in the future, You can bet that actresses Lange and Sarandan will win their share of consideration as they both played their prospective roles so well.