Random Image

Ride 'em, Grandad

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

"Just Plain Old Music"

Started by RAMMEL, June 12, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

RAMMEL, thank you!! That is priceless ,loved watching the Carol Burnet show and wish they would bring it back. 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

RICK - what a treat, to see the old skits with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway!  They were so funny together, and such a kick to watch Harvey cracking up over Tim's antics!

MICHAEL - Fun to see the scary Halloween stuff!  I was trying to think of a pop song from the past that would be good for Halloween, and finally remembered, The Monster Mash! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxcM3nCsglA

RAMMEL

Quote from: Amy on October 15, 2019, 12:46:43 PMRAMMEL, thank you!! That is priceless ,loved watching the Carol Burnet show and wish they would bring it back. 
Me too.  So many good skits. Something I really would appreciate in today's atmosphere.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Oldiesmann

Found this song tonight. Apparently it was quite popular in 1929, with over half a dozen artists recording it. This version is by one of the biggest stars of that era.

Marilyne

Michael - That's a new one on me.  Maybe because I wasn't  here in 1929?  I think he was famous for the song, "Ida", sweet as apple cider.  I'll look around and see if I can find an oldie to post tomorrow?

Vanilla-Jackie

Michael...
...i certainly am familiar with his name, Eddie Cantor but, not this particular song...

Marilyne...
...yes Ida, sweet as apple cider, and if you knew Susie like i know Susie, i shall have to look up other popular songs he sang...hearing him reminds me of the old fashioned wind up gramophones, this was one of my first which as a small child belonged to my grandmother, i would wind it up in the back garden for all our neighbours to hear, you can imagine not everyone was pleased...and the fun of it going faster or slower...

" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Well, you all know that I'm old and I do remember Eddie Cantor.  We used to sit by the radio once a week to listen to his program.  His wife's name was Ida so that is why he sang that song often.  One song that I still remember and sing was Cecilia.  I don't remember "I Faw Down and Go Boom" but I do remember "Ida". 

Mary Ann

Oldiesmann

A more child-like version of the song, sung by Annette Hanshaw under the name "Dot Dare". She also recorded this as "Patsy Young" on a different label.

Vanilla-Jackie

A name has cropped up on tv that i haven't heard of in years...who remembers the late Winifred Atwell...boogie-woogie and ragtime jazz piano player...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo37ZlHGvRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalR9J3borA

RAMMEL

Jackie -
That was fun.  Long ago, on the net, there was a site that had LOADS of "RAG" selections, by many people. I have not been able to find it lately and suspect it is gone  :(  :-\
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Jackie, I never heard of Winifred Atwell, but she sure could play the piano.  I really liked what I heard.

Mary Ann

Oldiesmann

Now that Thanksgiving is over here in the states, it's time to break out the Christmas music. Here's a fun parody of "Jingle Bells" by Lonzo and Oscar, a country comedy duo who were popular in the early 1950s. The lyrics for this were written by Boudleaux Bryant, who wrote dozens of songs with his wife Felice, including "Rocky Top" and many of the Everly Brothers' big hits.

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel - Mary Ann...
....her fingers can sure move fast...and how does she manage it when she takes her eyes away from the piano keys, not getting a note wrong...a bit like knitting and not dropping a stitch...

Oldiesmann

One of my favorites from Ray Stevens' hilarious Christmas Through a Different Window album

MarsGal

I like Ray Stevens. This one I missed. The super-glued cat made me laugh even though I don't like anything that would influence cruelty to animals (especially cats). Speaking of that, the little "angels" are downstairs watching the bird video.

Marilyne

Here's one of my Christmas favorites. Bing Crosby, singing, Mele Kalikimaka.  It's the Hawaiian way to say Merry Christmas!  There's something about this catchy tune that I like, and never tire of.   My long term plan, was to spend a Christmas, in Hawaii.  It never happened, and now it never will, but I dream about it every Christmas when I hear this song.  I love Hawaii, and all Hawaiian music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I like that song too and it was good to hear it again.

Mary Ann

Oldiesmann

Here's a different take on the classic song "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" from 1954. The fact that this was only 5 years after "Rudolph" was first recorded shows how quickly the song became a holiday staple.

Oldiesmann

Continuing with the theme of offbeat versions of classic Christmas music, here's another one of my favorites. This was originally recorded for a radio station morning show out of Charlotte, NC in the mid-80s and released as a single after it gained popularity. These days it's often attributed to Porky Pig. The person laughing loudly in the background was one of the DJs on that show.

Oldiesmann

One of my favorite versions of this song. From Dean Martin's Christmas special in 1967.

Vanilla-Jackie

Oldiesmann

Quite possibly my favorite version of this old carol. I've actually had the pleasure of seeing this performed live several times when the group's Christmas tour has come through town. Although the musicians on the tour aren't necessarily the same ones playing on the album, you'd never be able to tell the difference (they split into two groups for touring purposes so they can hit more cities).

Oldiesmann

Found this one yesterday. Lalo Guerrero was a prolific singer and songwriter who is now considered the father of "Chicano" music. This is from 1981.

MarsGal

As much as I love hearing Perry Como singing Little Drummer Boy or Do You See What I See, this is my very favorite Christmas song. It tugs at my heart like no other

O Holy Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2mMJ6_YCM

Mary Ann

Thanks, MarsGal, I like "O Holy Night" too, especially by the long-gone singers.  I do not like to hear the more modern singers "murder" the beautiful hymns and songs by screaming the high notes.  Nat King Cole was a favorite of mine, but I like to hear Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Patti Page and others. 

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Mary Ann, my two top favorites were Perry Como and Nat King Cole.  I think Cole was born in Montgomery, Alabama.  Both sang ballads as well as more popular music.

Sue

Oldiesmann

Listening to this great piece from Italian composer Ennio Morricone, who has written music to dozens of films over the years, particularly various Italian-produced western films in the 60s (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, My Name is Nobody, Once Upon a Time in America) as well as the famous drama Cinema Paradiso among many others. This is from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

On a related note, I actually attempted to watch Cinema Paradiso once (I believe it was on Netflix at the time) but didn't get very far. Even with subtitles it's difficult to watch a film when you can't understand a word anyone is saying.

Marilyne

Michael - I like the movie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and always watch it when it plays on TCM.  The theme music by Morricone, is perfect throughout, and especially this ending.  Thanks for posting it.

Vanilla-Jackie

Love his music, and not forgetting " For a Few Dollars More.."

MarsGal

I've seen so many clips of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly that I couldn't tell you anymore if I actually saw the movie. My favorite Eastwood movie is Kelly's Heroes.

My favorite Ennio Marricone pieces are Gabriel's Oboe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs  I am an oboe fan.
Le vent, le cri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbyZ3eD-9M
and of course, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_7Bnxblo4 I prefer the version with the whistle over the voice.

Ah, now you have me listening to movie themes.

Not bad either, Jackie. A Few Dollars More https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPBZ2LKd1D4