Random Image

fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

"Just Plain Old Music"

Started by RAMMEL, June 12, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Heard this classic on the local oldies station earlier

Oldiesmann

An obscure tune that swept across Europe in the late 60s. It's an adaptation of a couple different Russian tunes and this appears to be one of the earliest recordings (though there was one instrumental version released prior to this). I managed to find versions in 10 different languages. This one is German.

Oldiesmann

From the 1995 MDA Telethon. Andy Williams dressed in drag singing the classic Barry Manilow song "Copacabana (At the Copa)". Even at 68 he was still quite the character.

Amy

Thank you for the morning smile....Love his singing and he shows a mean leg too!!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

One of the strangest and funniest versions of the classic "Unchained Melody". It's even funnier when you consider this was recorded less than 6 months after the original (though didn't get released until 35 years later because the songwriters and publishing company of the song apparently didn't think this sendup of their very serious song was funny)

Marilyne

Michael - I remember when the original, "Unchained Melody", was top of the charts in the 1950's.  I can understand why the songwriters would have wanted this send-up,  stopped!  Peter Sellers, was a very unusual comedian, in his day.    

Oldiesmann

Heard this classic on the local oldies station earlier. Hard to believe 1963 was nearly 50 years ago!

Oldiesmann

Discovered this group last night. They specialize in mash-ups - combining parts of two completely unrelated songs. Here's their version of the classic "As Time Goes By" combined with the backing music of Johnny Burnette's hit "Dreamin'".

Marilyne

Michael - I liked it!  I didn't think I would, because I don't like it when someone messes with an old standard like, "As Time Goes By".   This was certainly different - in a minor key I think?  I enjoyed listening to it, and will probably listen again. 

Oldiesmann

Here's another interesting one they did. "Tara's Theme" from Gone With the Wind done in the style of the classic 1962 instrumental hit "Telstar".

Marilyne

Michael - interesting, but hard for to distinguish the, "Tara's Theme melody, from all the other stuff going on.  A little too hectic for me - like a bad nightmare!  LOL

Oldiesmann

How about "New York, New York" in the style of The Marcels' classic rendition of "Blue Moon"?

Oldiesmann

Michael Nesmith's biggest hit as a solo artist. A far cry from most of what was recorded by The Monkees (though Nesmith did manage to sneak in a few country-style songs with them as well once they gained control of their own music), but still a great song.

Oldiesmann

Found this tonight. The English version of a 1968 German novelty tune, by Norwegian singer/actress Wencke Myhre (who also recorded the German version as well as a version in Swedish).

Oldiesmann

An interesting rendition of the classic "Moon River" performed by two electronic music pioneers. It still amazes me that this sort of thing was even possible in the late 60s.

Vanilla-Jackie

Michael ( Oldiemann ) that has a nice sound...baring in mind i am listening to it at 6.30am here in UK..i have the sound turned way down, dont want to wake up the neighbours...I will play it again, later... :)
" There is no present like the time "

Oldiesmann

Here's another early electronic piece, this time from Raymond Scott, who was a bandleader, composer and inventor. This is from the 2nd of a three-volume set known as Soothing Sounds for Baby, a project developed in connection with a group known as the Gesell Institution of Human Development. The music was intended to calm young children and lull them to sleep, though I have no idea whether the music actually worked as intended. This is from 1962 and was generated on a machine Scott invented himself called the Electronium.

Tomereader1

Too shrill for my ears!  Like the percussion though.

Vanilla-Jackie

Tomereader....
....i agree with you " too shrill for my ears "

Oldiesmann

A nice nostalgic song from "Buffalo's most versatile Polish American band". I found this while scouring YouTube for versions of Lobo's "I'd Love You to Want Me" to add to secondhandsongs.com (yes, this group did that one too). This was originally recorded by Red Steagall in 1973.

Oldiesmann

Great instrumental rock and roll version of the classic "Chattanooga Choo Choo" from a Swedish band. This was released in 1979.

Oldiesmann

Michael Nesmith. 75 years old (at the time) and still rocking like he had nearly 50 years earlier. This originally appeared on the 1970 album Magnetic South and is probably my favorite of the songs he did with First National Band.

Oldiesmann

Somehow this version of Gogi Grant's classic "The Wayward Wind" managed to hit #27 in the UK. I'm wondering if Jimmy even bothered listening to the original before recording this.

Oldiesmann

Ray Stevens' hilarious take on the theme from The Monkees

Oldiesmann

A great cover of "The Ballad of the Green Berets" by a South African entertainer. I have absolutely no idea what he's saying at the beginning of the video (anyone here speak Afrikaans?) but he does a good job with this song.

Vanilla-Jackie

Powerful voice...one of the best versions i have heard...

Oldiesmann

For those who haven't heard, BJ Thomas died this past weekend. This has always been a favorite of mine.

MarsGal

Oldiesman, I don't think I ever heard that one.

Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySlY1XKlhM

Everybody Loves a Rain Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1yWSi72dB8

Oldiesmann

This started out life as a French-language song titled "Prière sans espoir" ("Prayer Without Hope") in 1956. The French song apparently didn't go very far. Songwriter Carl Sigman got hold of the melody, added English lyrics and called it "Till". This version was first done by Percy Faith in the late 50s and has since been recorded by numerous others including Shirley Bassey and The Angels. This version was released in late 1971 and hit #2 in the UK.