Random Image

Osprey

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

"Just Plain Old Music"

Started by RAMMEL, June 12, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Another humorous version of " I'm My Own Grandpa " i well remember this song from way back when i was just " knee - high to a grasshopper "

" There is no present like the time "

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on July 11, 2021, 12:48:32 AMRick - Check your post on July 6.   Johnny Smith Quintette.  I clicked on the arrow , and I heard "Where or When".  Maybe if I had kept listening, maybe I would have heard "Moonlight in Vermont"?  Both songs are named on the cover to the left?
That song was on the Johnny Smith Album. I thought it was going to run the whole Album - but, I guess not. Actually "Moonlight In Vermont" is in the "Moonlight In Vermont" Album.
I think I better quit while I'm ahead (I think).
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick -  "Moonlight in Vermont,  and  "Where or When",  are both beautiful songs!  I like listening to either one of them, when they are played on any of my oldies radio stations or computer channels.  Both were recorded by most of the great musicians and vocalists in decades past.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on July 11, 2021, 06:29:43 AMAnother humorous version of " I'm My Own Grandpa " i well remember this song from way back when i was just " knee - high to a grasshopper "

Ray Stevens is great. He runs his own dinner theater in Nashville now (The CabaRay Showroom), which is where that video was recorded. Still going strong at 82!

Here's a hilarious version of "Chloe (Song of the Swamp)" by Spike Jones and The City Slickers featuring Red Ingle. This is from the 1945 film Bring On the Girls.

Oldiesmann

Here's a gem from Eddie Lawrence that I rediscovered today. This was a huge hit in 1956 and resulted in several additional "philosopher" songs, though I don't know if any others were hits. Lawrence died in 2012 at the age of 93.

Oldiesmann

A rocking rendition of an old classic courtesy of Italian-American singer Carlo Mastrangelo. I don't know if Carlo ever had any solo hits, but he was a founding member of the doo-wop group The Belmonts and can be heard singing the bass part in the background of the 1958 song "I Wonder Why".

Oldiesmann

Found this fun arrangement of "The Chicken Dance" coupled with a bit of "Hava Nagila".

Oldiesmann

Heard this on the local oldies station earlier. I feel old now considering Frank's version of this song came out just a couple years before I was born. This was originally performed by Liza Minnelli in the 1977 film New York, New York. Frank's version was recorded in September of 1979 and released on the album Trilogy in March of 1980. This particular performance is from a 1981 TV special - Frank was 64 when he originally recorded this and not quite 66 when this performance was recorded.

Vanilla-Jackie

Michael, quoting " i feel old now "ha ha, you have a long way to go to catch up with us lot...

Oldiesmann

I know I do. Just hard to believe I'll be 40 next year :P

RAMMEL

Enjoy it while you're there   :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VT2EHa0b4

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Oldiesmann

Vanilla-Jackie

Michael....if you are feeling old at 40...just wait till you hit 50... ;D

Oldiesmann

Found this while listening to songs by American singer-songwriter Marty Cooper. You probably don't recognize the name as he didn't release too much stuff but several of his songs have been recorded by well-known artists including "Cowboys and Daddies" (Bobby Bare), "A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock and Roll" (Donny and Marie Osmond) and "The Biplane, Evermore" (The Royal Guardsmen and The Irish Rovers). He also recorded a few parodies with a stereotypical Mexican accent under the name "El Clod" in the 60s. No idea why he didn't release more music but he's written some great stuff.

Vanilla-Jackie

Think it is obvious who stole the show...so cute, now if he doesn't put a smile on your face...:)

Oldiesmann

Someone requested this classic on the local oldies station earlier. Haven't heard this in a while. This was originally written as part of a sequence known as "Oliver in the Overworld" from the British children's show Little Big Time. The "group" here was a duo of British songwriter Roger Greenaway and British singer Tony Burrows (who was a part of several different often short-lived groups in the 70s). This version was an international hit in 1970.

Vanilla-Jackie

Michael...yes i remember that song...two words spring to mind whilst watching this are " young and energy " they have both...I bet this is making you feel old now seeing's you have hit the ripe old age of 40... ;D

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on August 04, 2021, 02:23:55 AMMichael...yes i remember that song...two words spring to mind whilst watching this are " young and energy " they have both...I bet this is making you feel old now seeing's you have hit the ripe old age of 40... ;D

I don't hit 40 til next year actually :P

Oldiesmann

Found this recently. Back in the 60s and 70s, RCA's budget label RCA Camden released a bunch of albums of cover songs by various anonymous "Living" groups (so far I've found seven - Brass, Guitars, Jazz, Marimbas, Strings, Trio and Voices). I have no idea how successful this was but it must have been profitable given the ridiculous number of albums they cranked out. Here's the Living Trio version of John Denver's classic "Leaving on a Jet Plane"

Vanilla-Jackie

Whoops, Michael, i am aging you, one more year to go before you become OLD... :D

Marilyne

Michael - The song, "Leaving on a Jet Plane", by John Denver, reminded me of similar one written about the same time . . .  "Daniel is Traveling Tonight on a Plane",  by Elton John.  I remember my daughter had the 45 record, and we listened to it a lot, trying to figure out what was the meaning, or the message, in those strange lyrics?

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Marilyne on August 05, 2021, 10:53:57 AMMichael - The song, "Leaving on a Jet Plane", by John Denver, reminded me of similar one written about the same time . . .  "Daniel is Traveling Tonight on a Plane",  by Elton John.  I remember my daughter had the 45 record, and we listened to it a lot, trying to figure out what was the meaning, or the message, in those strange lyrics?

This should help... https://www.songfacts.com/facts/elton-john/daniel

Oldiesmann

One of the strangest albums I've found so far... The Living Marimbas and Living Voices did a tribute to Johnny Cash, which includes this ridiculously peppy rendition of "Folsom Prison Blues". Also included is a similarly peppy version of "San Quentin" (another song about a state prison in California)

Oldiesmann

A fun swingin' version of the classic "Yes, We Have No Bananas" from 1960.

Vanilla-Jackie

Vanilla-Jackie

Johnny Tillotson ( Send Me the Pillow That You Dream On )

Vanilla-Jackie

Ritchie Valens ( Oh Donna )

Vanilla-Jackie

Buddy Holly ( True Love Ways )

Oldiesmann

I often wonder what Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly could have done had they not died in that plane crash in 1959. Both were incredibly talented.

Here's a cool version of the popular song "Delicado" that I found recently. This was originally released in 1952. The LP shown in this video was released in 1960, comprised of previously-released material.