Random Image

adirondacks13.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of July 17

Started by JoanFL, July 17, 2016, 05:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend  There's Egg McMuffins to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “Soda Shoppe Picnic” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Courses Women Wish Were Available for Men:

1. Introduction to Common Household Objects I: The Mop
2. Introduction to Common Household Objects II: The Sponge
3. Dressing Up: Beyond the Funeral and the Wedding
4. Design Pattern or Splatter Stain on the Linoleum?:
    You CAN Tell the Difference!
5. If It's Empty, You Can Throw It Away: Accepting Loss I
6. If the Milk Expired Three Weeks Ago, Keeping It In the Refrigerator
    Won't Bring It Back: Accepting Loss II
7. Going to the Supermarket: It's Not Just for Women Anymore!
8. Recycling Skills I: Boxes that the Electronics Came In
9. Recycling Skills II: Styrofoam that Came in the Boxes that the
    Electronics Came In
10. Bathroom Etiquette I: How to Remove Beard Clippings from the Sink
11. Bathroom Etiquette II: Let's Wash Those Towels!
12. Bathroom Etiquette III: Five Easy Ways to Tell When You're About to
    Run Out of Toilet Paper!
13. Giving Back to the Community: How to Donate 15-Year-Old Levis to
    Goodwill
14. Retro? Or Just Hideous?: Re-examining Your 1970s Polyester Shirts
15. No, The Dishes Won't Wash Themselves:
    Knowing the Limitations of Your Kitchenware
16. Romance: More Than a Cable Channel!
17. Going Out to Dinner: Beyond the Pizza Hut
18. Expand Your Entertainment Options:
    Renting Movies That Don't Fall Under the "Action/Adventure" Category
19. Yours, Mine, and Ours: Sharing the Remote
20. Adventures in Housekeeping I: Let's Clean the Closet
21. Adventures in Housekeeping II: Let's Clean Under the Bed
22. "I Don't Know": Be the First Man to Say It!
23. The Gas Gauge in Your Car: Sometimes Empty MEANS Empty
24. Directions: It's Okay to Ask for Them
25. Accepting Your Limitations:
    Just Because You Have Power Tools Doesn't Mean You Can Fix It!

Food For Thought
The Gossiper
(Author Unknown)

A woman repeated a bit of gossip about a neighbor. Within a few days the whole community knew the story. The person it concerned was deeply hurt and offended. Later the woman responsible for spreading the rumor learned that it was completely untrue. She was very sorry and went to a wise old man to find out what she could do to repair the damage.

"Go to the marketplace," he said, "and purchase a chicken, and have it killed. Then on your way home, pluck its feathers and drop them one by one along the road."

Although surprised by this advice, the woman did what she was told.

The next day the wise man said, "Now go and collect all those feathers you dropped yesterday and bring them back to me."

The woman followed the same road, but to her dismay, the wind had blown the feathers all away. After searching for hours, she returned with only three in her hand.

"You see," said the old man, "it's easy to drop them, but it's impossible to get them back. So it is with gossip. It doesn't take much to spread a rumor, but once you do, you can never completely undo the wrong."

Thought of the Day

Anyone can love the ideal church. The challenge is to love the real church.

--Author Unknown

:smitten:

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm just marking my place for later.

Cindy is in the shower and I'm just waiting for her to come out so I can share her last few minutes before she leaves.  I'm sad!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone.
Another lovely day in the making here. Yesterday was a fun filled day with dil  and I stopping at a few yard sales and gleaning some treasures for both of us.Then later in the day we went to the quilts shop to see what they had left at 75% off and of course we both came home with some fabric.

Today we are having company this afternoon, so a tidy up and then down to sew for a bit.

Jane, good you had this time together.

Phyllis,beautiful graphic!!

Joan, thank you for the egg mcmuffin.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

They've gone!  I wish they lived closer!

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  I know how it feels to have family leave.  When they live far away you know you won't see them for quite some time.  It makes one feel sad, for sure.

Amy--Good morning.  You had a productive day yesterday between finding treasures at yard sales and getting fabric at 75% off.  Enjoy today's company.

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning everyone.Hope you all have a great day. I have mixed emotions about kin living close and some far apart.
the good ones like Jane apparently just had would be good close,others I would be happier if they never ever found there way back. I have been in business with family if ever have the desire to have another partnership with another than my wife, i will strike out down the road a foot and the first prison I meet that will talk partnership ( lay down the ground rules and stick to them. Friends are alright but best ones are not family members. do not want either to stay long enough to ware out there welcome.

Lloyd

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We have a very nice morning starting out at 72 degrees. The high is suppose to be about 92 with another chance of heavy rain this afternoon. Yesterday afternoon we had a 30-40 minute deluge of rain with about 1 3/8th inches falling and then later another half inch fell.

Scott's phone died a couple of days ago and so Pat wanted to give him back the phone that our DIL had.  It is a smart phone and she really wasn't using it.  So last evening, before dark, we made a quick trip down to where he works and gave him the phone. We also got to spend a few minutes with him as they were not busy and he could take a break.  This afternoon, after we have lunch, we will go to the phone store if it is open and get her a new basic phone. 

We will go to Sunday School and Church this morning.  I am once again bringing the Devotional reading to the class.  Our Church sponsors a youth camp each summer where the youth spend a week and do repair work for people who are not able to do it themselves nor can afford to have it done.  This is done in cooperation with the local United Fund that pays for the materials needed, such as shingles or bathroom fixtures.  The youth will be in the church service this morning.  There are several of these summer camps over the State.  The youth stay at the church during the night and have their breakfast and evening meals there.  Our fine minister has organized and directed several of these camps over the years. 

JaneS, when we moved to this new house it has faus wood blinds that are nice looking.  Pat made the decision not to put up any curtains as just isn't up to taking care of the washing and ironing required.  It has taken a bit of getting used to as always had curtains before.  I hope Cathy finally got the rods that she likes and the resettling in the new home is going well.  I know you will miss having the girls all together. 

Joan, I had a slip of mind and guess I thought when you said Linda and Ed I just thought of Findley and mixed them up.  That makes more sense as to why things had been stored in your garage as I remember them getting a new home.

Jenny, only one time did I try to drive from Atlanta to Maryville, Missouri in one day.  It was an 900 miles trip and I left about 4 am Eastern time and it was 8 pm Central time when I got the the hospital where my mother was having surgery the next day.  I remember being so tired that I actually had to hold my eyelids open during the last 100 miles or so of the trip.  I decided I would never try that again my myself.  I did not use good judgment.  Of course, I was probably 20 years younger than I am today. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  All my family lives far, far away and when they are able to visit, they can't ever stay very long.

Larry--Good morning.  How nice that Pat gave that phone to Scott.  Those summer youth camps sure are a wonderful ministry.  I never have been one for long auto trips.  My rule is that if it takes more than three hours to drive where I want to go, I buy a plane ticket.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, looks like another day for staying inside. Last summer was not as humid as this one is. Even in the evenings no one here is sitting out. That I miss.

JOAN  enjoy the brief visit with Linda and Ed. Don't worry about being here all the time. We aren't because we all have lives and so do you. As long as we know you are OK take a break.

LARRY  as soon as I hear thunder I shut off both the TV and the PC. Cannot afford to replace either. My ex insisted on keeping the TV on and it got zapped. 

JOAN  glad Joe and family will be visiting in a few weeks. I sure would love to see a new photo of “our” little red head.  He must be quite a young man by now.

JANE  looks like you had a busy Saturday and not much time to just visit with Cindy and Courtney. 

SHIRLEY  that cough does not sound good, hope you see your doctor Monday , if not how about the emergency room? Don't let it go any longer.

PHYLLIS  love your Picnic. Another one I would love to be there in.

JOAN  Chuckles sure would fit some men I have known. Glad I brought my sons up to pitch in and help, they still do.  Two grandson knows how, too. The Gossiper is so true. There is one woman here like that. I am always careful when I talk with her. Thank you for all today's goodies.

JANE  I know how you feel with Cindy leaving.

AMY  do you have enough material now to last a long time?

LLOYD  good morning.

JOAN  I used to like long dries as long as we stopped often to walk around. Now even an hour ride would get to me.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the
warm, but damp, rocky coast of Maine.   

Living in a small apartment,  I find making
space to keep all  the litlle goodies that I need and
colllect, out of sight.    It is always a struggle for me
to stay organized,  but I have finally found a way
that works for me.   

I bought a slew of these "baskets"  which come
in a "six pack"

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V87C11U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

that fit perfectly on my shelves

(https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-01648501-4-Shelf-Shelving-Storage/dp/B010C5DMF2/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1468761445&sr=1-7&keywords=Sterilite+shelves)

which hold tons of little goodies  (stuff)
out of sight, but within easy reach !

After getting back from my trip around the
country,  I had to put together stuff to
live with,  and storage was a big consideration.   

Well it has been a long time now ( over 5
years) since I went from living "lightly" to
being back to living "normally"   put me
back in the storage business.   

I still like living smaller,  with a view. 
The view makes up for the small space that
I have. ( and now share with my daughter,
a couple of days a week) .... 

It never ceases to amaze me just how much
"stuff" I require (or think that I require) to
live "my normal" life style.   "My normal"  is
the key,  and not necessarily anyone elses
"normal"

Speaking of this,  I think today I will through and re arrange my storage places ...   (something to do while watching "The Open" from Royal Troon Golf Club in Ayrshire, Scotland ... 

This week also begins the much dreaded
political conventions....  (I will say no more)..
Should be interesting to watch this political
craziness here in the USA ! (Or NOT)

Have a good day, Everyone!
Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

CallieOK

Good Morning, Everyfriend,

Nothing new in my corner of the world.

JaneS

We did have a busy Saturday but we all had breakfast together with a cousin that the girls haven't seen since they were little.  Then Cindy and Courtney took off to visit the other side (Cindy's Husband's family) and her own brother (Kiran's family) and Cathy and I worked on organizing the house.  Then Cindy had a gathering with her school friends and Courtney spent the night with her (other side) cousin.  So we all did what we did yesterday.

Larry, inside shutters went through my mind for Cathy but I hadn't thought of the wood look blinds.  They might be nice for her family room.  She could raise them for daylight and close them for privacy at night.

Better get started on my shortening job.  I won't get finished until after I get started!

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  Here, as you know, we have humid weather for many months.  I'll try to get a picture to post when Joe, Kate and Finley come to visit.  Linda said she'll come, too, if there's room after they get Daisy loaded.:)

Sandy--Good morning.  You sure have the things that one needs to organize in a rather small place.  It seems that from the time I first knew you (via the web) you have always been an organizer.:)

Good morning, Callie.

Janie--Your visitors sure made the most of their time--seeing friends, etc.  Are you shortening those curtains by machine or by hand?

Sandy

JoanFl  ..
I am 85% organized but the  10 - 15%
that lacks "organization" keeps me
always looking for something that I
can't just put my fingers on,  which
frustrates the devil out of me!
:tickedoff:   

― Carl Sagan

Molly

I am so grateful today that the many hours of thunder, lightening and heavy rain yesterday did NOT damage our house!!! But it sure flooded the basement!  Mohamed has been visiting his family in Giza (near the Pyramids) so is NOT available by phone until he returns to his new apartment.

The downpour and winds were INTENSE and tore down many branches in our yard from the surrounding trees.  A HUGE Oak tree across the street was entirely pulled out of the ground by the intense winds and toppled over against the house next to it.  Fortunately no injuries to the folks who live there.  A team from our City of Concord came out when the storm calmed down and within a couple of hours had cut the tree in pieces, pulled the branches out towards the street for clean-up by another City Team.  As I stood on our front porch after the rain stopped and watched the City fellows take the tree down, I was thanking our Lord minute-by-minute that no one was injured.

I called our next door neighbors on both sides and they were all OK, but another house farther down the street had lost all electricity.  Then I talked with a couple of friends from Church who lives several miles from house and they, too, were OK.

Another neighbor couple came to check on me (they're wonderful folks!) and the fellow picked up a huge tree limb which had broken off one of our trees located directly opposite our side porch.  I'd just said I would try to remove it today, but he replied "No, No, that's not your duty.  I'll do it."  Now I owe him a Hershey bar at least! :)

No news from Chaps this week, so surely hope he is OK and getting to know more about his Army post in Korea.

Hope all Friends have enjoyed the weekend!

Lindancer

Almost noon,  All across the country looks like Hot. So I will ask some of you folks if you remember how cold it was in Jan.  I know I was complaing then about the weather also.

It is  nice to have friends in high places.  One of my RH sisters came about  10 this morning to see about changing my bandage, which I was dreading.  As it started to bleed quite bad last night again.  She also vol. on the ambulance. She spent over a half hour, cleaning and rebandgeing  it. It takes a special person to do somthing like that for a friend.

Joan, thanks for the Mcmuffin.  When we use to go to Cape Cod, we would leave early.  We would stop off at Foxwood, Conn. for a little gambling, before heading for a late ferry in New London. to bring us back to Long Island. WE would stop for breakfast at McD's and have and egg McMuffin.  Enjoy your family.

Larry, that is wonder idea about the Youth Camp.  There are still so many wonderful young people.  You only read about the bad ones.

Phyllis, thanks for cooling graphic.

Hug, all around for my friends in here.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JoanFL

Sandy--One of these days you will find it.:)

Molly--I saw on the National news about the extensive flooding in your area.  It's a blessing that nobody was injured.

Linedancer--Yes, it is HOT here.  But here in FL, it isn't very cold in Jan.  How nice that your friend came and changed your bandage.  I actually had an Egg, sausage, cheese McMuffin this morning.  My daughter went early and got them.

June Drabek

Good Morning, I wish you all a very happy and peaceful Sunday.

Janie, I know the empty feeling when our children say goodbye, so we are then thankful for the fun memories they left behind, and now you have extra curtains to work on and pour your thankfulness into that job.

Today is a quiet day at Rowntree, so I will be off to Chapel soon, then to lunch, then home to do letter writing ???????? I question that, as I still have mail to be written and sent out.

Entertainment last night was fun, a male singer that is a Grandpa, a former teacher, a marvelous voice and really enjoyed entertaining. It is extra enjoyable when the entertainer is having a good time, as well as giving one. On one song, He brought his mike over to me, and we sang the last of the song together…it was fun.

We have another beautiful day coming up…80 degrees for a pleasant high. Time to get ready for Church. See you all later. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Sandy

Quote from: JoanFL on July 17, 2016, 12:17:05 PM
Sandy--One of these days you will find it.:)

Because I tend to loose things,  it is
very important these days for me to
stay organized.... 

Unfortunately  (I may have told you,  already)
I lost my teeth,  when I was out to lunch
with my daughter.   

I know, I know...   how is that possible? 
Well,  I took them out and put them in
a tissue,   and apparently,   that is when they
disappeared.   

I am contemplating replacing them, 
but after doing some research,  I must
plan on close to $2000  to get some
new ones.     (If I decide to replace them -
Given the cost,  and the fact that I only
use them for appearance sake,  I don't know
what I will decide to do)   

Decisions, decisions ! ? 
:idiot2: :uglystupid2:

Sandy
(It helps to maintain a sense of humor!)

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

Just checking on Jeanne Lee..
Hope that you are doing ok...

Sandy
:coolsmiley:

― Carl Sagan

JaneS

Sandy, if they are lost...maybe insurance?

Joanie, I'm doing the curtains on the sewing machine and I'm woefully out of practice but it's all coming back.

JoanFL

June--Last night's entertainment sounds wonderful.  Glad you were able to participate.

Sandy--You lost your dentures?  Oh my!!  You take your teeth out to eat?

Janie--I used to bee a whiz with the sewing machine, but I didn't even bring it with me when I moved here.

Sandy

Thank you Jane and Joan .. 

Yes,  they are gone.   I called the restaurant
that we went to and they have no unclaimed
dentures.   (They did not laugh)

I then called my Renters Insurance  (Liberty
Mutual) and they have taken my claim
under advisement and will contact me
this week,  if in fact,  they cover my dentures. 

Everyone has been very nice and no body
laughed...  very professional... 

Thanks for  your advice about insurance.   
Hopefully I will receive some compensation
so that I can go forth and get some new
dentures.       

I know that it is odd that I haven't used
my dentures .... my mouth is curved in such
a way that dentures don't stay put ...  with
out adhesive...  I have chosen to
eat with out them ...   Not easy,  but very
doable.
:thumbup:

I appreciate your advice Jane about insurance...
I hadn't contemplated that ... So I shall see this
week if they will help me. 

Thanks again
Sandy

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good afternoon from another rainy Interior day.

Farrah is intent on having more treats and tells me if I'm a bit slow, and that is about all that's happening here. I did go out this morning with friends to visit with another friend and enjoyed some rosehip tea and cannoli while there. Now it's back home again.

JoanFL

Sandy--Hope you insurance offers assistance.

angelface--I would have enjoyed a cannoli.  I love them.

Denver

Did not get a chance to read messages, but wanted to tell you all that I am so happy....heading out the door to attend a concert tonight....
ADELE!  Got last minute tickets last night....

Have a great evening!

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

angelface555

Jenny, what a terrific new avatar and you are so lucky! I love Adele!

Gloria

JANE  your family visit sounds like when my daughter comes here. Everyone wants to see her so they take off most days. At times I go with them but others I stay home and cook. No sense in cleaning much because they had suitcases all over.  With 3 rooms there is not much space.

JOAN  I know Finley has grown since you last shared a photo of him. I still have the ones of him with the huge teddy bear.

MOLLY  we keep getting forecasts for thunderstorms in this area but they have hit all over the state but here. I am not complaining about that.

GLORIA de  on hot humid days I like putting a winter graphic on my desktop, hoping seeing it would make me feel cooler. Then I like winter and never liked summer. Glad you have a friend who knew how to change that bandage.

JUNE  glad you enjoyed last nights singer. It has been months since we had anything here. So many have dropped out of the association that the few they have left are the ones who do no work. Those who did the work got tired of being depended on all the time. I went to 1 meeting when I first moved here and found it boring so never went again but I am friendly with all of them so get to hear what is going on.

PATRICIA  now a cannoli I would have enjoyed.  There are times I really wish I could get to a good bakery. I would leave it with only a few pennies left.

JENNY  I know you will enjoy seeing Adele.

Goodness this SS is quiet today.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

angelface555

Gloria, we are lucky to have many small ethnic family businesses and groceries here as well as the farms and farmer's markets. This place is a little family run, Italian restaurant or more of a tiny diner or cafe. It has three tables, and there is a small counter with cash register next to a big display case where you can drool over their fresh daily offerings.