Random Image

the latest of Fe who will be five soon.

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Windows-10

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

I also have TracFone which iI rarely use. I keep it for emergencies or if I need to call someone when I am out. The phone is voice and text only; I've had this particular model since 2008.

angelface555

If you turn off your phone, it will be there waiting for you when you do turn it on. The best thing suggested is to put your phone on silent when the test runs as it is only a test. You will see but not hear the piercing alert notice. Then when it is done, you can delete it. It will run on every cell phone as it is an alert similar to the amber alerts.

jackwv

It's all over and no big deal.  I left my phone on, waited to see the test and that was it.  Good to know it worked and hope it is never used.

wjoan

Scared the devil out of me.  Glad it works.  LOL

MaryTX

Mine worked with no problem. I have amber alerts and weather alerts etc. going off so this was just the same.

My daughter is a middle school math teacher.  Her phone didn't work but 19 student phones went off at the same time  :) (the 19 phones that were not supposed to be turned on during the school day). ;D

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Cottoncandy

I looked at desktop computers at wal mart today.....all close to me to shop at.....they had just st the tower with windows 10...HP ....also had one that has the tower included with windows 10...for $50 more....any comments?...My desktop is ready to crash.....CC

Cottoncandy

On above message...the tower is separate on one and in the back of computer on other....Does this make sense.?

jackwv

CC sounds like the one is an all in one.   I have the space and good components (screen and keyboard) and do not like change so have always thought I would go for a new tower.   Believe most opinions are now for the all in one.   Lots on the web but picked up a recent link that about has me convinced to consider the all in one.   Short and worthwhile read,

https://store.hp.com/app/tech-takes/5-great-reasons-to-own-an-all-in-one-desktop-computer

RAMMEL

I still prefer the separate pieces - tower/mon/kb/spkrs/ mouse/etc.
In  this case (as above) if one item fails it is easily replaced.  Of course space for it all is important.  If space is limited or you're not one to "modify" things, an all-in-one might be better.  One of the +'s touted is ease of portability. My puter just sits here in one place.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jackwv

Rick, I agree with you.  In my case the monitor and speakers are old timers.  I have plenty of space but when the old tower gives out I just may consider the all in ones.

angelface555

Symantec, makers of Norton antivirus, faces misleading claims charges;

https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2018/09/27/symantec-faces-claims/?symanteclegal=&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=october_newsletter_1&ad_id=505712&share-ad-id=1

90 million Facebook Accounts hacked;   https://www.techlicious.com/blog/facebook-data-breach-90-million-accounts-hacked/?techlicious-fbbreach=&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=october_newsletter_1&ad_id=505710&share-ad-id=1

Microsoft is upset that their Windows Defender wasn't listed in the top twelve antivirus companies by leading industry analysts and are saying the right variables weren't used. according to "How to Geek" and other tech sites. McFee topped the charts for 2018 but I prefer another set of systems.

MarsGal

Patricia, I kind of remember last year, or early this year that the techies were saving that Windows Defender had improved greatly and, while not a top performer, was certainly up there. But yeah, I can see that like a lot of other things, it depends on what the test criteria are. I refuse to use MacAfee. The two times I bought the anti-virus program (and mind you, this was on different different computers), it royally screwed up my machines.

angelface555

MarsGal, I don't care for it, MacFee, either.

Microsoft has a reported habit of not addressing vulnerabilities that have been pointed out to them. A case in point was when some security analysists and even Google pointed out a backdoor into one of their systems, and it was three months after that before they changed it. They excuse Window's Defenders by saying they're aren't looking at the right criteria just as they say their Edge browser is faster if you go by different standards than the testers use.

Kaspersky had its founder imprisoned by the Russian Government and is now run by them which is why its no longer used by many government agencies. However, there are issues in deleting it  https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-us-government-cant-get-controversial-kaspersky-lab-software-off-its-networks

Norton which until recently was listed as number two in many rankings has now been charged with making false statements about the effectiveness of the product.

Anymore, with how we use and depend on our computers, who can afford not paying attention?

JeanneP

I will be meeting up with my family at a wedding end of this month. They will drive up from Texas to Missouri and I will go down from Illinois. SIL has the new computer that he did for me about 9 months ago. Waiting for me to go to Texas for it. They will just bring it to me.  So finely I will have to learn Windows l0. I got the manual from the Library to see the changes. Seems to be quite a few.  Got to learn it though.  My W7 one here is getting a little messed up now.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

Getting "Reminders" for a Win-10 update tonight.  Any comment on this one?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

Every tech site I've seen says to make sure you have a good back up first! I've never seen it across the board like that!

jackwv

Windows 10 does a backup and am current.   I keep copies of my files on an external drive.  Rick I checked for  update and have not received notice.  My last big update was May.

angelface555

"Windows 10 October 2018 Update rereleased to Insiders, data loss blamed on misdirected folders
As a result, the Feedback Hub has been beefed up, and Microsoft has pledged to help those who have lost data.  Microsoft has restarted the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to members of its Windows Insider beta team. The company had paused early downloads after discovering that Windows accidentally erased files while redirecting them to a new folder location, including Microsoft's own OneDrive.

Microsoft announced the October 2018 Update during its Surface press event October 2. While upgrades were scheduled to roll out automatically starting October 9, users could download the operating system manually in the meantime. Several days later, the update (also known as “version 1809”) was pulled as reports surfaced of files being deleted during the installation process."

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3312642/windows/microsoft-restarts-windows-10-october-2018-update-blaming-data-loss-on-misdirected-folders.html

jackwv

Just back in from a few beers.  Turned on computer and it told me updates ready for window 10, could wait or "start now"  I started at 5:18 and in 10 minutes back in business without any apparent problems.

Cottoncandy

Jack...I plan on replacing my old vista with windows 10.....hope I can figure it out CC

jackwv

CC I went from windows 7 to 10 and worked my way about.  Happy with it now.

RAMMEL

My Win-10 update started on it's own as I shut down last night.  As far as I can tell so far ASW (All seems well). 
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

Just as with Rammel my Win-10 update started on it's own as I shut down last night. Today all is working as usual.

Shirley

Well, this update is what I'm blaming my loss of sound on.... but I did ask #1 son (he has similar HP laptop) "is there a sound button, little wheel on the lip like Toshiba" or anything I might have touched to mute sound???  He was in a hurry so gave me a quick "check either 4 or 5 at the top to see if that is the mute button".  When I let the laptop do a search for the problem it said to "restart to finish installing drivers".... Still no sound.   

First time I noticed lack of sound was after I had to sign in because it had shut down on it's own, does it when it updates.  I never know what to do & just leave it on auto updates, too many times it gets the hic-cups.  Got this laptop at Walmart, when in CO in June, started out near $1,000 but on sale (new in box) for $250.  Love how fast it is & have a hard time playing with the old one, had been blaming my server & found it really was the old computer (started out as XP, updated to Win.7 & Microsoft put 10 on even though I had continually said NO!   I am disappointed I can't get the music that goes with links posted.   :tissue:  Thanks for any advice~~

jackwv

Shirley lots to read, would suggest you go to the link on old computer so you can read and follow steps.  You might even be able to get it on your phone.  I note it addressed losing the sound on up date.

Lots of luck    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026994/windows-10-fix-sound-problems

Mary Ann

Shirley, I have a HP laptop with Windows 10 and my sound button is above the number 6.  There are a bunch of function keys and that is one.  I had something odd with the sound key - I've always had a red light to indicate whether the sound was on or off.  One day the light disappeared.  I could find out whether or not the sound was on by pressing the key so it did not bother me.  All of a sudden this week, the light returned.  It is only a very small light, maybe 1/64th inch in diameter, if that.

I hope you can get your sound back.

Mary Ann

Shirley

Thanks, Jack, I've read it over twice & can't get my thoughts together so better wait until morning, my 5 hours sleep just isn't enough to keep the brain working into the night.  Had not considered checking the old computer with 10 to see if it got the same update & still has sound.  I'm not positive I didn't just bump something ... and the other thing is I don't remember how to check on when it did the updates & "restore".  I've done it before, but long ago & NOT Windows 10.  Need sleep before taking on this job.  Thanks, going to start with the old computer in the morning.

Was looking at the avatar of you & Mimi, wondering if you have taken her back to visit her old home & how did she react.  I expect she remembers & is so happy when you take her with you back to her new home!  I was surprised when the cold weather hit yesterday & Tiger came running into the kitchen for breakfast & immediately darted to her favorite floor register. She looked at me like... "WHErE IS THE HEAT?".... so I laughed & turned the furnace on.

Oops, Mary Ann, you slipped in with another suggestion & had to give it a try first. I do have the tiny red x by the sound icon on the tray.... says "no sound device installed"... so I pressed the #6 Function key a couple times but didn't do anything. The funny part is on the old computers I usually kept the sound off unless I wanted to click on a posted link that had music. This is not giving me the option to slide sound up & down.  I guess I'll have to wait until I can think a little clearer.  Computer wins tonight.  Thanks for the tip.
::)

Mary Ann

Shirley, I usually have the sound off too and only turn it on when I want to hear something, either on S&F or someone saying something I want to hear on the news (and that isn't often), but when I want sound, I want it!!!

If when you check and you get the message "no sound device installed", it sounds as of the update removed it.  I am sure there is a way to find the device, but I don't know how.

I hope you sleep well.

Mary Ann

Shirley

Well, these electronics did it again!!!  Without warning my sound was gone & without announcing any change, it IS BACK.  I had nothing to do with any of it, but it's fixed & cost me only a few hours sleep worrying about it.  Thanks for the support in here, somehow it is easier to face the unknown when someone is around to hold your hand.  ;D 

Have another inch of rain so far today & radar showing some snow & mix to the west, not sure it will make it to Wichita, but good chance.  You won't find me crying if it snows, I love winter, cats are not thrilled. 

Hope everyone else's updates fix as easy as mine did.  Thanks to all of you.  Shirley

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK