Random Image

Jenny

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:02:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of September 25

Started by JoanFL, September 25, 2016, 04:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halkel

Well this day is rapidly coming to an end.  Church this morning, then a quite day until about 5:30 then over the my daughters for our regular Sunday get together meal with all her kids, and her Grandkids (our GGK's).  Anyhow it started thundering and raining about 3"30 or 4 and still at it, rains hard for a bit and then slows down and then starts again.  The cold front is coming in/through.

I have to be up at 6 in the morning and be at the hospital by 9 for two appointments with the vascular clinic.  Another ultra-sound and then with a doctor to tell me what they found.  Fasting again for the US.  I haven't figured that out yet.

I am off to bed and hopefully some good sleep until............
Nite, nite, God Bless and Sweetdreams.

Carol

Shirley:  Enjoy your visit.  We are about to take a trip.  It seems that Jenny or you are always on the wrong side of the calendar.   :(

Jackie:  I buy Sudoku books and sometimes make copies of the blank pages - I could never remember the numbers anyway.  I do one puzzle a day on the iPad and set it for 259 pieces.  That is about all my mind can take. ::)

Amy:  Glad to read that your husband's MRI turned out well.  We all hold our breath at times.

June:  A cat has never dragged you in---- hugs to you.

My cousin lives near the area in Washington where the young Muslim man shot the mall shoppers.  He has a son who is a paramedic - but was not involved with this tragedy. Too many of these stories - here and in Sweden too. It is really a different mindset that we are not used to reading in our news.

Hal:  Your post just popped up - best wishes for good results tomorrow. 

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's glazed pecan coffee cake to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Punny:  Brake Fluid

A mechanic was working under a car and some brake fluid dripped into his mouth.

"Wow! That stuff isn't too bad tasting," he thought.

The next day, he told his buddy about tasting the brake fluid. "It was pretty good, really. I think I'll ave a little more today."

His friend was a little concerned, but didn't say anything.

The next day, "Hey, I drank a whole glass of brake fluid. Great stuff! I'm going to have more."

A few days later, he was up to a bottle a day.

"You know," said his buddy, "that brake fluid is poison and really bad for you. You better cut out drinking that stuff."

"Hey, no problem. I can stop any time!"

Food For Thought

The Lesson of the Homeless Man
(Author Unknown)

It was a cold winter's day that Sunday. The parking lot to the church was filling up quickly. I noticed as I got out of my car fellow church members were whispering among themselves as they walked in the church.

As I got closer I saw a man leaned up against the wall outside the church. He was almost laying down as if he was asleep. He had on a long trench coat that was almost in shreds and a hat topped his head, pulled down so you could not see his face. He wore shoes that looked 30 years old, too small for his feet, with holes all over them, his toes stuck out.

I assumed this man was homeless, and asleep, so I walked on by through the doors of the church.

We all fellowshipped for a few minutes, and someone brought up the man laying outside. People snickered and gossiped but no one bothered to ask him to come in, including me.

A few moments later church began. We all waited for the preacher to take his place and to give us the Word, when the doors to the church opened.

In came the homeless man walking down the aisle with his head down.

People gasped and whispered and made faces.

He made his way down the aisle and up onto the pulpit where he took off his hat and coat. My heart sank.

There stood our preacher...he was the "homeless man."

No one said a word.

The preacher took his Bible and laid it on his stand.

"Folks, I don't think I have to tell you what I am preaching about today..."

Thought of the Day

"As a Christian, I believe that we are all created in the image of God. I believe that God loves the whole world...The life of no human being is cheap in the eyes of God, nor can it be in our own eyes."

- Billy Graham

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. wish you all a great day. we sure had a great weakened . several surprise company's . a belated party for Nancy's birthday.a nice rain also.

Lloyd

Vanilla-Jackie

Good Monday morning....
....not much happening in my life....outside is pouring down with rain, R is holding back walking the dogs...yet at one time rain would never have stopped me....

CAROL....
...I find doing suduko from a book at night-time, and playing online freecell, klondike and pyramid games during the day....help keep my brain occupied and functioning....

HALKEL....
...What a busy diary you have had these last couple of weeks....on the plus side you are getting yourself out of the house....well you dont need me to remind you of the minus sides...just hope and pray these trip will be well worth it, with optimistic and encouraging results....

I made an early morning phonecall to the fundraisers of my local MS Society to ask if I could bring some unwanted good clothes and stuff in, they are a husband and wife team, she has MS....we talked a little over the phone, she comes across as a very nice, warm and friendly person, although I know who she is, not sure we have actually yet met up or spoken to each other as she sits at the members table....Anyway she said yes, thank you, we have a sell ( naming a church ) coming up October, so I shall take my stuff in at my next meet-up social evening which will be in time for the sale....should help raise some decent money for our society...

Our post hasnt arrived yet, still another 30 or so minutes but, my NHS medical complaints outcome hasnt arrived yet, should have been the deadline of Sept 23rd....we shall see what arrives if anything, mid day today...maybe another blunder to add to my existing blunders...

" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Joan, glad to see your computer isn't giving you fits.....hope Janies is working alright too this morning.

Nothing really planned today.need to pop into town and pick up a few things at the grocery store and if the "mood" strikes I may get that hall painted today.

Watching geese go over and the clouds look like pink cotton candy....can tell that fall is her to stay now, leaves are turing. I just hope they don't turn to fast!

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good morning Everyfriend from my iPad . My computer is still acting up so this will be short this morning. I'm going to call the goys this morning but if they can't give me a cost estimate for fixing I won't be doing that right now.

I hope you all have a lovely day today. We are having a touch of autumn in the air and I love it.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  How nice that there was a belated party for Nancy's birthday.  We had rain yesterday--for about five minutes.

Vanilla-Jackie--Good morning.  I wish that you folks who are getting rain would send some my way.  Nice that you can give unwanted items to a worthy cause.

Good morning, Amy.  My computer is still not right.  I am going to call the man who works on my computer as soon as his business hours begin--8 a.m.  Don't overdo with the painting.

Janie--Good morning.  I am glad that at least your iPad works.  Hopefully your computer can be fixed for a very few $$.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Well, I am up and all squeaky clean and just waiting for the  my Daughter to pick me up.  Another half hour.  Rained and stormed most of the night.  Lots of thunder but I am not going to gripe, we needed the rain.

Janie, sorry about your computer.  Blasted things can be a headache.  Hopefully it wont cost an arm and leg to repair.

Anyhow, got to go take meds.

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  It seems just about everyone got rain but none made it here.

phyllis

Just a normal day is planned for me.  Monday....laundry day. 

We spoiled our dinner yesterday by dropping by the ice cream store after going to the library.  I don't feel a bit guilty!  I had some lentil soup in the fridge so instead of the Sunday dinner that I had originally planned we had soup and fresh veggies to nibble and homemade applesauce for dessert.  Sunday dinner will become Monday's dinner.  So nice to have a flexible routine when I want and so nice to have a son that doesn't mind things being changed around.

Hope all the computer problems are easily fixed.  And ALL other problems, too.  Make it a good day!
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  Stopping by the ice cream store was almost like dinner.:)  Nice that you and your son are so flexible.

Joy

Good Morning, Joan, and all the other Friends.

Joan, breakfast this morning sounds delicious.  I might even have seconds.

It sure has cooled down here in my neck of the woods.   Almost turned the furnace on, but just bundled up a little more.

Nothing real special going on today, except to go down to the office to sign my lease for this coming year.  This used to be a long drawn-out procedure, but all the paperwork has been greatly reduced. Only a couple pages to sign now. Shouldn't take too long.

I guess I will be among many others watching the debate tonight.  I doubt if I will stay with it very long.

Hal, good luck with your tests today.

Joan and Jane, hope your computer problems will be taken care of today.  I had trouble last week and someone told me to try "clearing the history".  I don't know if that was the problem, but it sure helped a lot.  It was running very slow and freezing up, but it seems to be working ok now.

Jackie,  I sure hope you would hear something soon about all the complaints you have pending.

Phyllis,  your ice cream treat yesterday sounds good.  Good substitute for the dinner you had planned.   Now you don't have to worry about what to have tonight.

Lloyd, you sure have a pretty grand daughter.  Glad you had a nice day yesterday with your surprise visitors.

Amy, you sure are so ambitious.  At one time,  I loved to paint, but sure can't do that anymore.   Good luck in getting that job finished.

Hope everyone will have a great day.

Joy

BIG BOX

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Don't know if the maintenance man called the manager when he got home late yesterday or if he did it on his own but the heat is on. Just o a chance late yesterday I turned the thermostat up and was surprised when it came on. Down to 37° last night and no one should have to live  with it that cold and no heat.

JOAN  I have never fallen asleep reading. If a book has a good story I hate putting it down but if it is dull after a few pages of the first chapter I just put it down. I do love those wool socks, wear them all year but the knee socks are warmer.

JOY  it is great seeing family and friends we don't see often. Glad you enjoyed.

JANE  hope your PC calms down and behaves. I do not trust this one at all. I am leery of doing what I enjoyed doing with graphics in case it messes up again.

GLORIA de  it did get down to the upper 30's here last night. Sure glad they turned on the heat here or there would have been a lot down to the office complaining this morning.

MARY ANN  I usually keep the thermostat at 68°, I don't like it too warm but when I am cold like yesterday I want heat.

JOAN  another with a PC acting up? Not good to hear.

JUNE  this town was a friendly one years ago when I first move here more than 65 years ago. It has changed a lot. They are now building 3 new new low income apartment buildings in a once residential neighborhood and that means a lot moving here from the cities, that is when undesirables move in.

HAL  at least you are finally getting some rain. We sure could use some, too. Good luck and good news today with your appointments.

CAROL  so many sickies in the world who like killing innocent people. Media plays it up so much that others want their 15 minutes of “fame” too.

JOAN  ahh that will taste good with my coffee this morning. Food for Thought is one for everyone to read. Another of  don't believe a book from it's cover? I like the Billy Graham quotes you have been sharing.

LLOYD  glad you great weekend.

PHYLLIS   I would change meal plans by stopping for ice cream any time.

JOY  I will try watching the debate tonight but who knows how long I can take listening to either one of them. If Trump thinks before he opens his mouth he might do OK.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the cool,  "Fall like",  rocky coast
of Maine.

We seemed to quickly jump into Fall like
weather,   which is cooler,  dryer and very
very pleasant.      (Ah,  but for things to
come!)    I am not going to complain,
except to say that I shall miss the Summer/Fall
weather here on the rocky coast. 

I downloaded a massive Windows 10 update
last night and today.     At first I had a problem
getting it all working.  But restarting the computer
and the modem and the wifi  seemed to work.

Oh,  I had to make sure that "Airplane Mode"
was off.     (perhaps that was the key to the whole
thing)   Anyhow,  as you can see,  I am now
connected and things seem to be working very well.

(Sometimes it takes a while)   
Good luck everyone.   I hope that this
helps. 

Sandy
:wave2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is an overcast but warm Monday morning here in South Carolina. I have fixed Pat's scrambled eggs with bacon crumbles, green onion, yellow peppers and two types of cheese to go along with the strawberries for her breakfast. 

I am looking forward to a fairly quiet day.  I do plan on attending my Monday noon meeting and then Pat will see the Chiropractor at 3:45 this afternoon.  While she is there I will make quick trip on down the street to Aldi's for just a few items.  I plan on making her sausage muffins after we get home but can have most of the ingredients about ready.  I will need to fry up a pound of sausage that is used in the recipe.  We are out of cream or could go ahead and get them baked this morning. We haven't discussed it yet but am planning on a nice salad dinner this evening with shrimp on top as the main ingredient. 

Yesterday was a very down day for me.  I did make it to Sunday School and Church but must admit I sat in Church with my eyes closed (not asleep) listening.  The service was about 15 minutes late in getting out and I had to get something for our main meal yesterday so it was late when I got home. I ate and them laid down for about 2 hours.  Around 8:15 I told Pat I was going to have to go to bed and did so and was asleep shortly thereafter and slept well throughout the night.

Don, I was able to listen to some of your show yesterday.  I loved that arrangement of the Beetles music. 

Sandy, our cleaning lady is willing to clean out our refrigerator so unless I spill something or find something sticky that I will clean up then we ask her to do the general cleaning.  Of course, we do the throwing out when things are past their prime as I just did this morning with three things. 

Joy, you can find a lot of Barbershop Choruses and Quartets on YouTube.  I just checked on YouTube for "barbershop quartet champions" and barbershop chorus champions and there are many listings. 

deAngel, I didn't tune in the golf until the playoff holes and that was some finish and what a lot of money at stake.  It was exciting right until the last putt. 

June, hearing about ministries to the less fortunate and people with addictions and other situations makes us count our blessings.  That "Basement Church" sounds like a wonderful ministry and it takes special people to provide that. 

Hal, I couldn't figure out why I needed to fast to have the liver ultra-sound but there is obviously a good reason and I forgot to ask that question. 

Carol, doing a jigsaw puzzle of that many pieces on the iPad must be a real challenge.  I usually work puzzles limited ot 240 pieces on my Chromebook, which has a 13 inch screen. 

Phyllis, you did your dinner just right yesterday with the ice cream first.  :)   

Gloria, glad you were able to get the heat last evening. 

My neighbor across the street stopped by after his morning walk and we had a nice long chat.  He is 85 years old and an interesting person to talk with.  He is going to give the program at our Adult Luncheon Group next month at church.  He was on the overpass  and saw John Kennedy being shot.  He has given his talk over 50 times.  I think it will be an interesting program. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  I am sure glad management relented and turned on the heat.  I don't trust this PC and would like a new one, but right now I can't afford it.

Sandy--Good morning.  I had an update during the night, and so far so good.  Glad you got yours working properly.

Good morning, Larry.  You certainly are doing great preparing meals for you and Pat.  My cleaning people clean out the fridge, too.  Your across the street neighbor does sound very interesting.

JaneS

I'm still on thenipad and I just lost a long post. I can't reconstruct.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Janie--Bummer!!  I am sorry you lost your post.

June Drabek

Hal, we will be anxious to learn the results of your tests, so please do keep up informed. We care. I too had Ultra Sound to check my leg arteries. I don't remember doing any fasting for that. That proved I had 40 to 90 per cent blockage in both legs. That was quite a few years ago, and I am still here. To a degree anyway.

Carol, let's just say, there are days when I "feel" like something the cat dragged in. Not a rat, but perhaps a mouse that has lost it's squeak. You are kind.

Janie, I too hope and pray your computer can be easily fixed. I sure missed mine yesterday. I'll explain that later. I want to read all the messages first.

Phyllis, you do have a great son. Me too…they adapt to all my strange ways, and encourage me to keep going.

Gloria, and when the governments, even local ones, decide they are going to do something they don't ask the current residence if they approve. Good old Money Making is all they care about. We have to take it or leave it, but now desirable places to "go" to are all filled up with what we don't want. So we hang tight and just stay behind our costly walls, and pray for the best.

Larry, you have taken on more responsibilities now rather than lessening you work load, so it is understandable that you are tiring more quickly. Your best path is to use every free time for complete body rest..the only way to keep everything functioning. We don't expect to let our cars run without gasoline, so we should feel even more protective to our bodies.

I have read all your newsy messages, now I will explain yesterdays absenteeism. I don't recall the exact time, but sometime early afternoon, my fan turned off, along with everything else that is connected to electricity. We had a surprise leap into heat..a hundred degrees, and today is supposed to be 107. All of So. Cal is expecting some quirk of the temperature rise. To make matters worse, the elevators were down, so we were stuck at home, like it or not. Of course many people were very disturbed and complaining loudly. We had sandwich suppers delivered late in the evening. But I keep my kitchen well stocked..not way to heat anything, but there are always peanut butter sandwiches, right ?

To continue, we were down till somewhere into the night. I woke this morning with my kitchenette oven light blinking…telling me to reset the clock. I found relief last night in calling Gary, who is not only Pastor of his Church, but he is associated with the police dept..he didn't want to lose his license with the dept. so he a deputy now. I asked him if he could find out if it was just Rowntree gardens, which does have out-dated elec. power now, or if something had happened elsewhere. He followed up on it, called me back to say there had been a huge traffic collision and 117 homes in the area were affected. So he said, "Now you can go out in the hallway and notify the other tenants what is going on.I did. He knows his mother very well. It did help them, so I'm glad I followed through.

Now I have told you probably more than you wanted to ever know, but so be it. It feels good to unload on understanding people. Hugs everyone, and if I should disappear again, you can be sure our Rowntree Gardens is at fault this time..too many air conditioners running at one time.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

June--I am sorry you were without electricity for all that time.  Apparently management needs to upgrade so their system will handle the needs.  If that happened to me, I'd have to gather up my portable oxygen, nebulizer, meds and other needs and to to a hotel/motel.

halkel

Well an interesting morning.  Daughter picked me up around 715 and it was pouring rain.  As soon as we turned onto the main road out of our neighborhood we hit a line of traffic.  It was that way almost all the way to the hospital.  I checked in there about 5 after 9, 9 was my first appointment, but no harm was done, everyone was running late.  What a mess. 

Larry, I ask the question: "why the fasting".  Easy answer, gas and air pockets.  Ultrasound doesn't penetrate well and of course the food itself.  Anyhow the tech who did my Ultrasound was a specialist and he got his work done with very little problems he also check circulation in legs after checking the aorta.  I then saw two doctors, one a "teenage" resident he was 26, cause I ask him his age, he looked every bit of 17, not kidding.  He was a thorough, intelligent, nice young man and then the vascular specialist came in and did his thing.  And yes I do have an aneurysm in my aorta.  It is small though and they don't want to mess with it unless it grows.  They want me back in one year, unless something goes haywire.  So they good Lord continues to look out for me. 

The really good news, no more appointments on my calendar until I make one with a pain specialist. 

Joanie, our rain should be ending sometime today.  Officially I think they said we had four inches last night.  I haven't look at my el cheapo rain gauge but it did it's thing all night and my old pup divided her time between my bed and my wifes bed.  Not like her to be a fraidy cat, but she want someone to comfort her last night.  Joanie, wish we could share the rain with you, but cant figure out how to do it.

Anyhow, I think I heard the couch singing a lullaby to me, need to check it out.

Carol

Food for thought in these times: 

"If you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools.-  Plato

Sitting down and reading all the notes, I was just thinking of what a pleasure to have this forum and hit the keys to chat about nothing or everything. And, we are fortunate to live in free countries where we can take to the internet. 

Here, Don dropped the mailbox key and it slid under the washing machine.  He has a hurtful shoulder and  neither of us can lift the machine.  Boy, it looks grubby underneath too.  Will await help - and meanwhile, we do have a 2nd. key.  Always be prepared.

I finally mailed a quilt to a grand nephew plus goodies for his sister.  Do you know that UPS gives a little discount for being old? 

halkel

angelface555

Good morning from a Monday morning in the Interior. Nothing new here other than a small round of tests concerning my balance issues and my vision problems.

Farah is bored with her balcony window on the world, her paper sack and me. She has spent most of the last couple of days sleeping, and she probably wishes for someone more youthful to play with. She is athletic, young, agile and alert. None of those qualities I spend a lot of time with.

"They," are predicting snow in the next day or two. Our past usual way was to snow furiously for a day, melt by the next and then wait about a week for another snow day that sticks. 

The trees are mostly denuded, the wind is finally absent, the air is noticeably drier and crisp, while the sky has gotten, it's cover of clouds. The whole land and its inhabitants are hushed and expectant.

June Drabek

Carol, a yard stick scraped under the washer works wonder on recovery of small things...I've used that method many times..washer, dryer, fridge...of course you have to get down on your knees, but you can do it, girl.

Hal, thanks for the wonderful report ! Congratulations.

Bis, so far the elec. is keeping up with the heat. Ordinarily, being this close to the Pacific we don't get heat like this..very unusual..it is currently 105 and that is probably the high. Cooler in Hemet today, they only have 90.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

halkel--Glad you got all of those tests out of the way and now only have to see a pain specialist.  It rained here this afternoon--for 5 min.:)

Carol--Good quote.  Lucky you have a spare key.  Thanks for the info about the UPS discount to seniors.

Angelface--Maybe you should get Farrah a playmate.

June--Glad the electricity is working.

Mary Ann

Hal, all I can say is "WOW". 

Patricia, I feel that Kendrick needs someone younger, too, but all he has is me.  And he sticks to me like glue sometimes.  I do try to play a bit, such as the stick with a string and fish attached.  He goes for that for a while until I get tired!!!

It's been a great day today with the temperature around 70 degrees - sweater weather and MY kind of weather.

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Monday HELLO to EVERYFRIEND! 

I have been trying to keep up, but have not posted.  We are in Chicago with our family and have been having the BEST time.  These boys of ours are so sweet and we have taken advantage of spending ever minute possible with them? 

Tomorrow we must head back home to Denver.  Wow, our time sure did pass quickly......always fun to go, but never fun to have to say good bye.😪😥😿

My boys took me away, so best say good bye now and get this sent.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

angelface555

Joan, I wish I could get Farrah a playmate, but we are only allowed one pet that is twenty pounds or less in these apartments.

MaryAnn, I understand completely about being too tired.

Jenny, it sounds like you are enjoying visiting with the grandkids. Enjoy!

We usually have our first snow around Halloween so yes this is early, and I certainly hope it is not a portent of things to come.