Random Image

fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of October 2

Started by JoanFL, October 02, 2016, 03:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halkel

Callie,  :-*    :-*   and a spare one to boot   :-*

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--Guess you will go to bed singing that.:)

Janie--How wonderful to still have those quilts.  I will check the "hidey hole".  Thanks.

Angelface--Thanks for the link to those recipes.

Hi halkel.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

CallieOK

Lloyd Hammond

enjoy

TAPS
Near the bottom, as you scroll down, are the words.  The first stanza frequently comes to mind at sundown...

I never knew ... DID YOU?
<Image.jpg>
If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.
<Image.jpg>
Here is something Every American should know. Until I read this, I didn't know, but I checked it out and it's true: 
We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, 'Taps...' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.

<Image.jpg>
But, do you know the story behind the song?  If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings. 
Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when  Union Army Captain Robert Elli was with his men near Harrison's Landing in   Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.

<Image.jpg>
During the night, Captain Elli heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field.  Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.. 
When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.
The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock.  In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out..  Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army. 
The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.
The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. 
The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. 
But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.

<Image.jpg>
The Captain chose a bugler.  He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. 
This wish was granted. 
The haunting melody, we now know as 'Taps' used at military funerals was born. 
The words are:

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes 
From the hills.   
From the sky.
All is well.   
Safely rest.   
God is nigh.

Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star.
Gems the sky.
Gleaming bright.   
From afar.   
Drawing nigh.   
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise.   
For our days.   
Neath the sun   
Neath the stars.   
Neath the sky
As we go.
This we know.   
God is nigh

<Image.jpg>
I too have felt the chills while listening to 'Taps' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now.  I didn't even know there was more than one verse .  I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along. 
I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before. 
Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.

<Image.jpg>
Also Remember Those Who Have Served And Returned; and for those presently serving in the Armed Forces.

<Image.jpg>
Please send this on for our soldiers ...  please don't break it.   
I didn't!

June Drabek

Lloyd, thank you. I knew the first verse, din't know the others. It is one of the saddest pieces of music I have ever heard, and the sound of it truly does make one feel the finality of life here on earth.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Lindancer

Good late evening, this is the first chance, I have had to come here to day.l Had a bad night, went to sleep about 6Am, next thing I knew I had slept until 10, first time in my life I have ever slept that late. By the time I dress and got myself to gether it was nearly 11.
  About 12, a neighbor brougt me a qt. of milk, as I was out, bought me a flan pudding. She sayed about and hour, then my neighbor on the other side came over, he stayed awhile, then put my garbage and papers out. Did the dishes, and came to the computer, and my neighbors from across the street came over with wine, and my dinner.They stayed for a couple of hours, so went my Sunday.
Then I watched the Ryder cup. America Won, and I stayed with golf channel till 7. Had dinner, so here I am, very tired,

Joan, I agree withGloria, we do not thank you enough for all you do to keep our group happy, with food and good reading.  Phyllis also thank you for such great graphics each week.

June, I wore the patches for a month, it started when I was in the nursing home, had to change them twice aday.  My regular doctor took me off, as he said I was still given my same heart meds. and I did not need both.

Amy, sorry about your sewing accident. Hope your finger is better.

Lloyd, thanks for the story about taps, very interesting, We use to sing it in scouts, at the end of our meeting. I also did not know there was more verses.

Gloria, I am sure you are having this nasty,damp weather. they now say it was clear by Wed.

June, they played when Dennis was buried, and one plane few over. It is a sad tune.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Read about an Oklahoma City Girl Scout trumpet player who became upset when she learned that a recording of Taps is usually played at the funeral of a veteran.  Click the "Home" link for more information.

http://trumpetandtaps.org/about-us/

JaneS

having been a Girl Scout most of my life, I love hearing about senior Girl Scouts and their gold award projects. That is a very special one. Thank you , Callie for bringing it to our attention.

Good night Everyfriend.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

June Drabek

Gloria de, I'm so sorry you had such a bad night. It sure can mess up your internal clock, so I hope you can drop right off to sleep tonight. I'll try the patch, but I sure hope I am not allergic to the adhesive. Some band aids give me a severe itching allergy
which takes week to heal up. We'll see what happens. I would just have to put on a fresh patch each morning.

I think I will take one more stroll around the outside  grounds and then get ready for bed. So I will wish you all a very good night now. God Bless, sleep peacefully and wake rested. Hugs and Love, June

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's scones to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Altered Words

The Washington Post's Style Invitational asked readers to take any word from the dictionary; alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter; and supply a new definition. Here are some of the winners:

Bozone: The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hipatitis: Terminal coolness.

Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like, a serious bummer.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Beelzebug: Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

Food For Thought

The Real Thing
(By Peder Eide)

While traveling in India, I had a couple of chances to workout. The exercise room in the hotel had a tv that was showing a movie that looked familiar to me. At second glance I realized it was the movie Rocky IV. The classic movie is about the boxer Rocky Balboa taking on the super-sized Russian fighter Drago to avenge the death of his friend Apollo Creed. It's a movie with little Oscar-potential but you leave the theater with the desire to fight the world.

What was strange about the Rocky movie on the tv was that it was a remake. A remake with all Indian actors using the same poses, lines, boxing scenes, camera angles. Only the actors were different. Well, and, of course the Rocky character had Indian-colored shorts instead of USA. They even added the "Cut me, Mick" scene even though that was from an earlier Rocky movie.

It struck me how I found myself with this cheapened feeling with this imitation. It felt just wrong. The original, genuine movie is out there and some people only know the imitation.

We visited a couple of Hindu Temples in India.

There are about 330 million gods and goddesses in the Hindu understanding. 330,000,000! It's unreal to comprehend. A very confusing concept.

We were walking back down the steps leaving one of the temples and passed a boy with a crippled leg hopping on one leg up the steps to get to the temple. His determination and ability to keep up with his friends as they navigated the steps was amazing. One of my friends made the comment, "He is going to do all that work to get to the top and there will be nothing for him there."

That comment struck me to the bone. He was right. If that sweet boy was looking for something that heals, something that makes a difference, he would find nothing at the top of those stairs. Nothing.

When Jesus says in John 14:6 "I am the Way, the Truth, the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me," He means He is the only One. Not the 330,000,001. It's not being judgmental; it's pointing out the truth and who Jesus said He was. You will not be disappointed when you seek Jesus. You will find Him.

Anything else is just an imitation that will leave you empty and left wanting for the Real Thing: Jesus.

Thought of the Day

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top.

--Author Unknown

:smitten:

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....
...good Monday morning....
I have showered, washed my hair in preparation for another cross county journey, soon will be leaving once R gets back with the dogs....This time its to another MS Therapy Centre, a tad shorter in mileage from the one of last week at 47 miles...It will be good to have a comparison....Oh and R told me the extra mileage clocked up on our unplanned detour last week, came out as 20 miles...bringing a total of a 140 mile round trip..

I have also made a phone call to another daytime, lunchtime MS social type club, that will be a shorter drive of 30 miles but, when we arrive Thursday mid day provided we arrive before 11.30 we can book lunch and join them, told they also run exercise, yoga and Pilate's, this sounds more up my street, of course it all depends on my body on the day, whether I can do it or not, but its there if and when I would want it....Seems I dont need to register as a member just need to take my MS Society registration card along with me, that is an annual £10 optional membership, I became a member on the recommendation of my monthly evening MS social meet-up, glad I did now.

Still no news as to my medical - administration official complaint..says I should hear the outcome by 23rd September but, if its a more complicated complaint they would notify me in writing with an updated and later date...I am still waiting for either the outcome or an updated later date...we are now running ten days overdue...

Wishing all a good start to your week...

LARRY HANNA...
...yes the different language and British word terms used in, comparison to your America words, I find rather amusing...re, your flu shot, our flu jab...
" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Taking my van in to get a wiggle in the front end checked out. Need to do a few things around the house, then I hope to cut out another quilt as I finished one yesterday.

Joan, thank you for the scones, I like mine well buttered. :)

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning/afternoon Vanilla-Jackie.  It sounds as if you have several options when choosing a MS therapy center/group, and IMO that's a good thing.

Amy--Good morning.  Hopefully whatever is causing that wiggle in your van won't necessitate a costly repair bill.

JaneS

good morning Everyfriend!  We got up a bit later than usual today and the doggies are already telling me it's time to eat.  So I'll go feed them and get my breakfast and then I'll be back to see what Everyfriend is up to this foggy October day.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. A busy day here. as soon as we can see (daylight) we are going to put track under the other dosser. then I have to go the Vampire. after that I think I will be in for a nap.
Have  great day everyone. thunder storms out west clear here now Maybe storms here tomorrow

Lloyd

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Amy, is that cute wiggle or ugly one?   :)

Jackie, enjoy your journey (trip).  I hope you can find a group that suites you.

Joanie, scones or biscuits, I will have two please and some nice fruit preserves to spread on them, I will bring the coffee since I already have it ready.

Janie, sounds like you have a murky morning in your part of the world.  As far as I know, we have a clear morning, still dark out.  But no moisture suppose to be happening here.

a church friend who flies for a commercial airline came to church yesterday in his uniform.  I told him I suspect someone has to go to work directly from church.  He said yes he was flying to Paris at midnight, he is based in Detriot and "commutes" from here to Detriot.   I no longer envy these guys with the world in the shape it is in.

Well going to get myself a cup of the coffee I made.  Anyone want a cup?

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  It's cloudy here.  About half an hour ago it rained for 5 min.--not enough to do any good.

Lloyd--Good morning.  After you work on the dozer and go to the vampire, I think you will be ready for a nap.

Good morning, halkel.  Your scones/biscuits are ready just the way you asked for them.  I'll join you for a cup of coffee.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is going to be another beautiful day here in South Carolina.  It was in the 60's when I got up this morning and suppose to get to only 85 degrees later this afternoon. 

Yesterday was the normal Sunday with one exception.  In the afternoon a couple of ladies from the church brought Pat one of the two beautiful bouquets of flowers from the morning service.  Our Sunday School class had purchased the flowers for Sunday's service.  It is a very large display and we have them sitting on our dining room table where Pat can see them from her easy chair.  The only thing on today's schedule is my noon meeting.  I plan on fixing hamburgers for dinner tonight with some sides of vegetables.  It will be an easy meal to prepare. 

Amy, it is only takes a second for an accident to happen and being tired makes us less careful.  Pat has worn out two or three of the cutting mats over the years.  She has two or three different sizes as well. 

Gloria, your SIL must have a lot of shop tools.  That storage bin would make a good workshop if he gets some electricity run to it so he has good light and can use his saws, etc. 

Callie, there are a lot of world problems so do understand why it would take you ladies 2 1/2 hours to solve.  Of course, who was listening that can execute your solutions?  My men's coffee group used to do that a lot but nobody paid any attention and so they were left for you ladies.  :)

Patricia, I have never heard of pickled grapes?  However, I have to wonder why you would want to pickle grapes.  Am I missing something?

deAngel, you certainly have nice neighbors that are looking out for you.  Hope you were able to sleep well last night. 

Jackie, hope your outing today is enjoyable and rewarding and that you don't have to detour. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  We've had short showers on and off all morning.  I hope they keep on because we are so very dry here.  How nice that those ladies from church brought Pat the flowers to brighten her day.

Beverly

Good morning all. We are back from a wonderful visit in Vermont. Almost all our family made it to the reunion. Makes it nice for us as they are scattered all over New England. We decided to fly and only stay a week so we'll miss the best of the foliage season. Maybe next year!

Larry - How right you are! My daughter's recent accident with a circular saw left her without 1/3 of her ring finger on her right hand.  :(

Amy - Hope your finger is feeling better.

Lloyd - Thank you for the verses to Taps.

Like many of you I remember so well singing the first verse at the end of our Girl Scout meetings.

Joan - I haven't checked the progress of Hurricane Matthew this morning but sure hope it stays east of you.

It's a beautiful sunny day so far but already up to 95.

Amy

Hal. not sure if one could call this cute or not. Hubby asked me if it did it at 30 k and I said no, he then said I suppose you didn't pay attention when it happens  and I said yes it happens when I do 100K  :2funny: See I do pay attention.

Lloyd and Beverly, yes my finger is somewhat better. Have a smaller bandage on it now but it is first and foremost to get smacked if I try  to do anything. My main concern was that I didn't bleed all over the lovely fabric I was working with to make a cancer quilt.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Beverly.  How nice you were able to go to your reunion in Vermont.  I do miss the changing of colors, but I don't miss the s--- and frigid temps.  It's still "iffy" if we'll get any of Matthew's fury here.

Amy--Glad your finger is better.  You should have let a bit of blood drip on the quilt and then you can say you made it with your "blood and sweat".

halkel

Amy, all joking aside, I suspect you have a tire that has thrown a weight and is out of balance. I say this since it is not doing it at all speeds.  If it is they should be able to balance the tires and have you back on the road in short order.  Ask you husband.

Gloria

Good morning everyone,  not raining this morning but still cloudy. Don't know if it is the rain or the shorter daylight but I cannot seem to stay awake by 8pm lately, and waking late. Hope when the sun chines again I will have some energy.

JOAN  I did see the graphic after reading your post yesterday. I was surprised with where I was taken to yesterday.  It took a few minutes to get to where I should have been. This PC is just being ornery again.

HAL  never turn down a home cooked meal.

JANE oh yes t'is the season for every thing pumpkin.

LLOYD  wonderful, I had never read the whole story of Taps. My oldest son used to play that on his trombone. 

GLORIA de I have had days I just can't seem to get going. You have wonderful neighbors that take good care of you. WOW we just had a blink of sunshine. Saw on local weather that midweek we will have sun then Saturday more rain.

CALLIE  wonderful girl to want all who have served our country to have a live trumpet player at their burial. Sad to think they only were getting a recorded version.

JOAN  a scone will be good with my coffee. LOL with Chuckles . The Real Thing, so true, do not believe imitations. Thank you for all today's goodies.

JACKIE  I am glad our medical system in not like yours. A person could die waiting for a letter from them. Glad you are finding more MS places to check out.

HAL  I am with you about pilots these days. I know I would not get on a plane to anywhere these days. Never enjoyed it when I went to San Diego and now would really be scared.

LARRY  since #1 son retired he has been making supper during the week. He always did know how to cook some things but has improved. Makes my DIL happy she does not have to cook after working all day. #2 son does most of the cooking and he is a good cook. I taught my 3 how to cook when they were young. Never know what life will bring and I wanted to make sure they knew how to cook. Only thing I could make when I got married was spaghetti, chocolate cake and fudge. I used to ask my Mom to teach me and she would show me, I would ask about the measurements because she was of the old school, a handful of this or that and a pinch of the other. I needed measurements. She would chase me out of the kitchen.  My SIL has a lot of tools and he also has some that were his Dad's. He already has shelves in the container for his workshop and even a wood stove if needed. Nothing makes him happier that changing things to the way he wants them.

BEVERLY  trees here in RI are starting to change. I love looking at the swamp maples at the edge of the parking lot and seeing how they change ever day. Beautiful colors on those leaves.

AMY  don't know 100K from 100 miles and thought when I read your post at first at 100 mph you had a lead foot.  :tickedoff:

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

angelface555

Good Morning, we have more rain and fog along with our morning frost today.

I've experienced a lot of flying and being driven in all those years of being a military dependent, (Often with a crying baby or irascible pet in hand); so its nice not to have those "hurry up and wait," experiences. And of course,  the take your shoes, watches, and belts off before lining up to take a flight anymore.

Yes, Larry, in my opinion, you are missing out on the pickled grapes...also JeanneP. posted your sausage muffin recipe and some posters are a bit confused over adding flour or whey.   However, as Joan says, it is another of those whatever floats your boat thingies  http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=10.msg52686#msg52686

I've got so much to do today, and the body is sluggish, so I should set this coffee aside and get to it.......in a minute.

JoanFL

Good morning/Good afternoon, angelface.  I did lots of flying earlier in my life.  Before I had to quit all those new rules and regs were in  place.  It certainly isn't the way it used to be.

Where's Gloria?  I hope she is OK.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, a lazy day coming up. I don't have to be any place at any time all day long, and does that feel good. I may even stay home for lunch. I don't feel very face to face Social today. But I love all of you. You don't mind if I stay in my nighty all day, 'cause you don't have to look at me. Now having said all that, what do you want to bet that I will be called down to pick up some medication or other. Guess I'm also feeling pessimistic today.

Bis I really enjoyed the Altered Words today. I am saving it to share with others that I feel will enjoy it.

Jackie, you are so fortunate to have you R there to transport you to all these various meetings which have nothing to do with him. He must care a great deal for you dear. You are Blessed. I don't think my Edward would have done all that.

Hal, I have already filled myself up to the eyeballs with coffee, a banana and a slice of toast with butter and grape jelly. I wasn't the least bit hungry but we have to feed the beast that lives inside us, al all the medications don't get lonely and rebel.

Beverly, I'm sorry you couldn't stay to see the Fall colors in New England, we get nothing like that in Ca. and in Mn., where I was born they were outstanding too. Sounds like the rest of the visit was great.

Gloria, my Mom never taught me how to cook, she couldn't be bothered I guess, and my Dad was a good cook too. He cooked in WW1. Made great Beans !! So I spent the first six months of my married life in tears, trying to  make meat tender enough to eat. Of course Ed's Mother was a wonderful cook, but she never taught him anything. In her family the men were treated like Princes.

Patricia, I'm taking the day off. For lunch I plan to make a fried egg in the microwave.

Bis, Gloria posted just before Patricia.

Amy

Hal, your right it was a weight off my front left tire........now I am good to go and so is my pocket book too!!!
Jimmy Dean

JoanFL

Gloria--I don't know how it happened that I skipped you earlier.  I apologize.

June--I don't mind seeing you in your nightie.

Amy--Glad your van is fixed.  With all the driving you do, you want it safe to drive.

JeanneP

Angel.  We need Larry to let us know if he left the Flour out of that Sausage Muffin Recipe.  The way it reads would just come out like Sausage Balls in my way of thinking.
JeanneP