Random Image

INTEGRATION

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:33:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 6

Started by JoanFL, November 06, 2016, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  GREAT that you had such a nice time with your daughter and son-in-love yesterday.  I am sure you're not looking forward to dancing with the snow shovel of snow blower.  I am missing June, too.  I sent her daughter-in-love an email but haven't heard back yet.

Larry--Good morning.  Tomorrow I'll try to get a nap so I can watch the election returns.  I have a feeling that could go on all night.  You're right in that my cable service isn't reliable.  Unfortunately they have a monopoly here so I have no choice but to use them.

Good morning, Gloria.  You're obviously more organized than I am with your spices.  For years I made 10 lbs. of fudge every year around Christmas, but gave that up a few years ago.

Lloyd--Good morning.  I saw on the news about the OK earthquake.  When we lived in Arkansas we were also on the New Madrid Fault.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

bis all the earth quakes all over the world makes us at least wonder if the lord is about to take thing in his hands. I am ready if he is, Have a great day.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Lloyd--There are several kinds of natural disasters.

halkel

Good MOrning Everyone!

Had a light shower first thing this morning, just enough to wet the sidewalks but not enough to really water everything.

Larry, speaking of fresh bread, in Canada we used to go to a bakery right outside Ottawa on Sunday's and get warm fresh bread and bring it home and pull out real butter and a pot of coffee and stuff ourselves. Of course that was when I was in my 20's and stayed very active.  But there is nothing better than warm fresh bread, taste and smellwise.

Our cleaning lady is here this morning and hard at it.  She will be in here shortly and I will vacate the room until she is finished in here.

I join everyone else in hoping our June is doing okay.  She has been kinda under the weather so long, I hope they get things back in shape so she has some of her old energy.  She is a real sweetheart.

I have to get with the program and pay some bills, I usually try paying them as they come in, but have let some lay in the stack for a few days. They aren't late, but I don't like to let things linger.

Well, tomorrow is the big day.  Has everyone voted or made plans to vote.  I mailed ours in a couple of weeks ago.  Almost half million have voted here in San Antonio already.  All kinds of records have been broken.  If nothing else Trump and Hillary have gotten folks out to the polls.

Everyone have a great day.

JoanFL

halkel--No rain here but very windy.  We used to do the same thing you did at a bakery in Syracuse.  We'd stop and get a big round loaf of hot bread, take it home, rip off hunks, slather on the butter and have a feast.  My cleaning people came this morning only this was NOT the day for them to come.  They made a mistake and will be back tomorrow.  I just will be glad when this election is over.

JoanFL

I just received the following email from Dori:

Good morning 'Sweet Joan!'
Yes... June's sodium was dangerously low. As it turned out they could not do what they needed to do at the Rowntree clinic... I believe for insurance reasons. At any rate, she should be coming home later today or tomorrow.

As for how she is, she seems fine.... She says she misses her computer. I am sure it is because she misses all of you too... she truly does love her Seniors and Friends. And of course, all of us in her family feel that love as well. I want to be just like her!!!

Thank you for loving her so and for checking in. I will let yon know more after we visit her (or if we get to take her home) later today.

Love and hugs,
Dori :)

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Last night, I was at church for a musical program.   We were standing and singing a hymn - words on a big screen.  I suddenly felt a bit disoriented and thought the picture on the screen had moved.  Because of my labrynthitis - and the fact that nobody else reacted - I thought it was "just me".
When I got home, I discovered the real reason I'd felt that way! The Big Quake had just happened.    I'm surprised nobody at church commented.
I assume the screen pic movement was because the projector, which is suspended from the ceiling, was shaking.
Nothing out of place at my house. 
Cushing is about 55 miles from here.

Miss Emily was in an aisle at the Academy store in Stillwater  (25 miles from Cushing) and reported that things fell off the shelves - but nothing hit her.

It's pouring rain today -no wind or storms.  Reminds me of the day grandson was here and it rained like this.  When the rain stopped, we sailed toy boats down the side of the street all the way to the end of the block and around the cul-de-sac.  He said it was "The Best Day Of My Life".   I think he was four.  :smitten:

Joan,  so good of Dori to send a report on June.   When I read what she considers a meal,  I remember my Mother being hospitalized because her electrolytes were "out of whack" - due to the way she was eating (or, rather, not eating).

Oh my - hot fresh bread slathered with butter......  :eat:

Busy week ahead.  Domestic Duties necessary today - demerits or no.   :)

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.   

Lindancer

Good afternoon, a little on the chilly side. Sun shining. Again windy.

Just got home from the hemotalogist    blood test showed my count went down again, so . had to get a shot. Also BP high, for some reason when I go there it is higher. When I go to primary doctor. it is OK

Joan, i am so glad you posted about June. We all miss her.

Gloria, I think i have to go through my spices and check dates.  A lot of them I have not used, as I do so little cooking now.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JoanFL

Callie--I remember that story about you and your grandson sailing boats down the side of the street after a rain.  Good memories for you.  No problem getting info from Dori.  My Dad had the same thing happen several times in his later years--sodium and electrolytes whacky so off to the hospital he'd go, they'd get him regulated and he'd be OK for a few months.  He claimed he ate, but we knew he was eating very little and it certainly wasn't a balanced died.  Glad you and yours suffered no damage or injury from the earthquake.

Linedancer--I hope the shot helps to raise your blood count.  My BP is always higher when I go to any doctor--white coat syndrome.:)

I sure am missing Janie.  I hope I didn't do something to offend her.

Shirley

Have butter, will travel!!!! OH how I would love a loaf of fresh out of the oven bread.  I could make a meal with just bread.  When my parents were alive I always stopped at my local grocery store & would pick up a big, round Dutch loaf (usually 2) to take to them along with big pot of roast & gravy or whatever I had cooked for them.  Before Dad died the bakery had changed recipes because the stores had been sold to Kroger.... and the bread wasn't at all the same.  I used to make refrigerator rolls ever so often..... and family would clean up the whole pan before the next batch came out of the oven.  The recipe made the equivalent of 3 loaves of bread so the 3rd loaf I would roll out & braid, putting cinnamon & sugar in the braid... and make a powdered sugar & butter icing to drizzle over the top. Each slice was buttered & gobbled up like they hadn't eaten in a week.

So glad for the news of June, (thank you, Joan) hope she gets to come back today or tomorrow.  I wonder if... because when we eat foods like canned soup, TV dinners & even V8.... high in sodium BUT probably not the salt that has iodine in it.  This I truly don't know, but when my husband was put on the low salt diet he had to take iodine pills.  Anyone know if my "theory" has any merit?  I've Googled but don't know/understand completely.  I am a "salt alcoholic & do salt everything, much to the dismay of my son & DIL.... they eat lots of fast foods but don't salt anything extra at home.  When camping my son doesn't ever even salt his eggs.... & I don't know how he can eat them.  Of course, they are black with coarse black pepper & I don't like pepper on my eggs.... BUT, I do buy iodized salt. 

Callie, I'm still grinning when I think of your son & the shell.... because we hit one campground on the coast the day after a "blue moon" tide had completely wiped out the row of electrical camp sites nearest the water. The high tide also brought in lots & lots of shells.  Dumb me, I never thought about them having living critters inside so was delighted to pick them up & noticed other campers had them placed all over the picnic tables.  We never stayed any place more than one night so I put mine on the table to sort out & promptly put them in ZipLoc bags.  By the time we got home I noticed little critters in the bags, dead.  Yucky.  They smelled so I dumped them out, a neighbor said I needed to put the shells in a big pot & boil them on the outdoor grill.... which I did & after was all done, dumped the whole lot in a flower bed. 

Cats all wanted to eat early & I am thinking a nap sounds really good.  We've had a shower off & on during the night & today, nothing much to help the yard or trees.  It is cooler & I finally turned the furnace on, set it on 68 so it doesn't dry out too much.  I'm not sure about turning on the humidifier.

Mary Ann

Callie, I saw there were several earthquakes in your area, more than usual (at least when I look at the site).  There was also one in Colorado but I don't know the location.  I just looked again and saw there was an earthquake within the last hour in  your area but there were five shown for today so far.

It was good to hear from Dori to know June is OK.  June will have her 92nd birthday this month and "it takes one to know one", we don't bounce back as readily as we used to. 

Shirley, I don't salt my food at home unless I see someone else salting theirs.  I may think the food doesn't taste quite right, but don't realize why until someone salts their food.  Dumb, but that the way I am.

Mary Ann

JoanFL

Shirley--I, too, am a saltaholic.  I don't honestly know about the salt in food we eat, salt from the salt shaker and iodine pills.  I'm giggling about the stinky shells you collected.:)

Mary Ann--I take a taste of the food I am preparing to eat--whether at home or in a restaurant and can immediately tell if I need to add salt so it tastes good to me.

Sandy

Good Evening Everyone... 

I have pretty much given up processed
foods....  even though I liked some of the
canned soups,  the over abundance of
salt was just too much for me. 

At home here I use "No-Salt"  which
is sodium free.      But just enough
salt like taste to keep me satisfied.

And instead of suger I use 
"Mommie Knows  Best" pure stevia
powder.       

Gone are the good ole  days when I
could eat real salt and real sugar,
but with the substitutes I use,  I
am satisfied.   

Unfortuantely for the last couple
of weeks I have over eaten to a
point that I definitely must go back
to my eating regime,  again.    I will
start this Wednesday... And boy do
I have a lot of losing to catch up on.   

I think that I have put on 10 pounds
these last few weeks...    Oh woe !!!! 

Anyhow.     I have one more day
to pig out and then I am back to 
behaving!!

Have a good evening,  everyone!
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

mycheal

Thank you Dori, for keeping us informed on our dearest friend June.

Our thoughts and prayers for a speedy are working and do hope she gets home and back in the saddle on that Computer ;)

Mycheal

Mary Ann

As I mentioned, I may taste a food and know it doesn't taste right, but I don't know why.  Then someone will add salt to their dish and I know that salt is what is missing.  Even then, I just sprinkle a little salt on the food and do not overdo it. 

I don't know how to explain my evening.  Just before suppertime, I hit my glasses and they went between a table and the wall.  When I went to pick them up, they fell to the floor behind the table.  I have very close quarters here and was going to get a yardstick to see if I could move the glasses nearer where I could reach them under the table (it's really an old end table that I think my dad made).  At that time Tom said that supper was ready so I went in to eat.  Afterward I watched TV and forgot about the glasses (they are my computer glasses) until I was ready to compute.  In trying to reach the glasses, I found a letter opener that I had "lost" last summer.  Not only that I "lost" the next letter opener and fortunately had another one.  Later the second one turned up (it had gotten behind me under the afghan on the back of my chair).  So today. with all of my hunting, the first opener turned up and now I have three letter openers available!.  To continue. I finally moved the glasses toward my chair and I could reach them.  It's good that bedtime is approaching.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

PS - While trying to get at the computer glasses, the bulb in the lamp by my chair went out.  I'll change the bulb in the morning. 

Mary Ann

Sandy

Thanks for the good laugh,  Mary Ann .....    You have a good nights sleep!!!
I am glad that you found all the things you lost....

(No money,  eh??)
Good Night
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Beverly

That was quite an evening Mary Ann!  :)

Hope to see June back here tomorrow! Dori sounds like the sweetheart June says she is! 

Denver

A good Monday evening to EVERYFRIEND.  I was hoping our JUNE would be back, but thanks to you, JOAN, contacting Dori, we know she is doing better and will be back with us soon. 

JACKIE, I have been thinking so much about you and how lost you must be with Benji gone.  Bless your heart, it is never easy to go on after a loved one passes, and yes, that includes our pets.  Hugs to you.

My dad is doing OK.  He continues to be dizzy at times, but is being very careful when he gets up and walks.  If he is super dizzy he has a walker close by.  He is no way drinking enough water, but is doing better than he was.  I do not understand as I drink so much water it is crazy.  I ðŸ'—ðŸ'— water, so it is easy for me. 

I, like many, can not wait to have the election over.  I can not help but be concerned about what might happen when the results are known.  There are some pretty crazy people out there.

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Shirley

Mary Ann, I'm also giggling & grinning at the "picture it" day.  That's the way mine have gone this whole week.  I've lost more things & found all but one, but also found a few other missing things (like your letter openers) that had been long gone & forgotten about.

Good night, June, in case you get close to a computer & peek in!  We miss you.... and Jane is also missing.  :o

Jenny, glad your father is doing better.  I was never a good water drinker but found I do get more down when I have the frig full of bottles.  Do hope you can encourage him to do what is necessary before you have to go home.  Daughters can get away with nagging better than any other family or friend.  I know~

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's apple pancakes and bacon to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Perplexed

While riding the bus, my mother noticed a young man, who was holding onto the same pole, staring at her. Eventually, he said, "Excuse me. This is my stop."

Since she wasn't blocking his way, she was confused. "Well," she said, "go ahead."

"And this is my pole," he said.

My mother was completely perplexed until the young man added, "I just bought it at the hardware store to hold up my shower curtain."

And with that, he picked up his pole and carried it off the bus.

Food For Thought

God’s Harvest Faithfulness

By Joel Vande Werken
Scripture Reading: Genesis 8:13-22

As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.
Genesis 8:22
We’ve come to the end of this series of reflections on the promise of harvest in this world and in our souls. We have seen how the process of growth in creation offers a fitting picture of the work God is doing in the human heart, and how that process leads us to deeper trust and hope in the work of Christ.
Today we are reminded again of God’s faithfulness throughout both the natural and spiritual processes of harvest. As the story of the flood reminds us, judgment is a reality. A perfectly righteous and holy God does not simply look the other way when we sin. But judgment is not the only word.
We live in a world where floods, droughts, and other disasters sometimes affect the prospect of a harvest. We also recognize that temptation, hurt, despair, and our own foolishness can affect the growth God cultivates in our souls. And sometimes, as with the great flood in Noah’s day, it may seem all is lost.
Yet God remains faithful. Just as God showed mercy to Noah and his family, so in Christ God demonstrates his faithfulness to us all.
Follow Jesus, embrace his Spirit’s cultivation of new life in your heart, and live in the trust and joy that God’s promised harvest gives you certainty for all eternity.
Faithful God, we praise you for your commitment to us. Bring us to Jesus so that we can grasp the full assurance of your harvest work in us. In his name we pray. Amen.

Thought of the Day

"Indifference to evil is evil."

- Elie Weisel

:smitten:

JoanFL

This was in my Inbox when I came to my computer--she sent it last evening:

Hi Joan,

Just wanted to let you know that our dear June will be coming home from the hospital today. We are just waiting for the doctor to sign the release form and we will deliver her back to her sweet little abode! :)

Thank you again for your love and friendship to her... and your kindness to me.

Blessings,
Dori :)

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....
...I had missed the posts of Junedrabek being admitted back into hospital, but relieved to hear the good news she is soon to be released back home, and back into her " abode " any time now...

I have my monthly MS support social evening tonight, we will of course go, but unlike R who gets over things quicker than me, I know I shan't be, nor will I want to be, in my usual jolly mood....I am going to attend tonight as its their annual fish and chip meal, not sure who is supplying it as told last month that we dont pay for it, I would have assumed we would, only seems right as this is all a charity type run gathering....

Tomorrow my three month long wait urinary bleed appointment takes place,...I am due to see the Urologist so have no Idea what to expect...all i am hoping for is that this will be the end of my problem and not the starting of it....
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good morning Vanilla-Jackie.  If things went according to what Dori wrote me, June should be back home now.  It's good, IMO, for you to get out to your MS group and have a meal with them.  Best wishes for tomorrow and your appointment with the urologist.  I hope that will be the end of that problem.

Vanilla-Jackie

About 30 mins - 45 mins ago, 10.am'ish I changed my mind about Benji's ashes box,....last Thursday with the 6pm closing time upon us, I had chosen a khaki coloured cardboard scatter box, which in hindsight was quite unsightly, the only scatter box they had with the intentions of swapping it at a later date, but In hindsight would be something I would not be capable of doing, so quick as a flash and with panic as I do, I got R to phone the vets praying I- we wasn't too late...well we told we weren't but they WERE coming to collect our Benji this morning, so I asked R to ask them to send email photos of the choices of caskets, they gave us the link and I quickly went onto the site and picked a proper wooden casket out, basically the same as the one we have our Megan's ashes in....In the meantime we also made a vet appointment, I made R make it at their rival surgery, even though R caused me a whole lot of grief a couple of days ago by suggesting ( and not only suggesting, but he would have had no qualms about doing so ) he take Toby into the same vets where our Benjis body was still laying, I told him it wasn't right, disrespectful as the next time you-we go back to that vets is the day we bring him home, re, his ashes...I was fuming, how could he even consider walking in, then out that door knowing Benji's lifeless body was there not a few feet away....Anyway we had previously mentioned to our usual vets receptionists that Toby was impossible to get his worming tablet down his throat, so she said, just bring him in, and we can do it for you, so that is what R will soon be doing, only taking him in to the other closer small surgery, they will also check his anal passage as he has been doing a lot of bum scooting...we were lucky to be given a 12 noon app, it is now 11.10am....I shan't be going with him just in case the same vet that ended our Benji's life is on duty, as they do take it in turns flitting from one surgery to the other.....
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, how is Toby taking the loss of Benji? 

Mary Ann

JoanFL

Amy

Good morning everyone..

My computer was giving me grief this morning ,now it seems fine after I brought my laptop out!!

Today we go to the vet, one dog is needing her shots brought up to date so off we go for a 2:30 appointment. The shots will hurt me more than her (pocketbook) but that is fine..I don't mind .

I miss both Jane and June...do you think those two ladies are off gallivanting together?? I hope it is just puter problems with Jane and she returns FAST!!!

Shirley, I wouldn't mind the pant hemming....not so sure I will see your arms waving but I would appreciate the directions.

Good morning Jackie.

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  Glad you were able to get here.  It seems a trip to the vet costs as much as a trip to a pediatrician.  I, too, miss Janie and June.