Random Image

BossCallie and PitBull

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:32:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 20

Started by JoanFL, November 20, 2016, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

SODA SHOPPE
for week of November 20

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's scones to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “Quiet Morning” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Funny Book Authors

"Home Maintenance"....by Duane Pipe

"Growing up in the Balkans".....by Hugo Slavia

"Irish Winter Tales".....by Pete Moss

"Increase Your Brain Power"....by Sarah Bellum

"Looking Into the Wishing Well"....by Eileen Dover

"How to Write a Mystery Novel"....by Page Turner

"Winning Big".....by Jack Potts

"Vacation Spot in the Tropics"....by Sandy Beech

"I Always Enjoy the Darkness"....by Gladys Knight

Food For Thought

A New Sacrifice to God

By Sergei Sosedkin
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:15-19

Through Jesus . . . let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise. . . . And do not forget to do good and to share with others.
Hebrew 13:15-16
Hennie was 13 years old when her parents took her and her siblings from their native Netherlands to Canada. She vividly remembers how they arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia, after crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The family then took a week-long train journey across Canada to British Columbia.
Getting settled in a new land was difficult. They were initially housed in a farm building where animals had been kept. But the family trusted God, prayed hard, and worked a lot.
Looking back, Hennie gives thanks to God for carrying them through some challenging times and blessing them richlyâ€"physically, spiritually, and financially. Today Hennie is a generous supporter of Christian causes, giving back to the Lord from what he has given to her.
Today’s passage teaches us to give God a new kind of sacrifice. The animal offerings of the Old Testament are obsolete. This “sacrifice of praise” involves the attitudes of our heart and includes thanksgiving and praise that we offer to the Lord. In addition, we are instructed to “do good and to share with others,” which truly pleases our heavenly Father.
What are you offering as a sacrifice to God? Are you thanking and praising him through Jesus Christ? Are you using the resources he gave you to do good and share with others?
Father, thank you for blessing us daily and for sacrificing your only Son, Jesus, to save us. Help us to honor and please you by doing good and sharing with others. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.”

~ Patrick Henry

:smitten:

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning Bis.have a great day , also all that follows.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning everyone

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, I was up at 3 and huge fluffy flakes were floating down. Not much on the ground at the moment but it is lightly snowing still. Both dogs came in with snow on their backs and of course they want their huggies......

A day of rest here, I did get two batches of applesauce done yesterday with a lot more apples to do but not today.

Phyllis, love your "Quiet Morning "
Joan, thank you for breakfast and enjoy your family being there. As June said ,we will behave  :2funny:

Enjoy your day everyone
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  And a special good morning and thank you to you, Joanie.  I enjoyed the "authors".  We used to do that game when I was in school.  And the "sacrifices" and "helping others" is very pertinent also. 

I'm very glad that picture today was not of Autumn leaves.  The weather report says that it's supposed to snow on top of my leaves today.  That should make some areas (the sidewalks especially) even slipperier than the rain did.  I'm not finding anything for which to be thankful and to offer praise for but I'm thinking about it!

I wish you all a very good day today!

P.S.  Amy, I hope the snow predicted for this area takes a detouf to your area.  I had about half of a busload of Canadians through my line on Friday.  They said they were from "North of Toronto".  I thought of you!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Oh my gosh Jane, I would have LOVED to be on that bus and meeting you!!! I do wish we were closer then I would help you with your leaves. If you can mulch them,think Hal had said that it is better for your lawn (free fertilizer)

We have our snow tires on and everything is in ready for snow but I really don't want a lot this year. We just found out that hubby goes for chemo this coming Fri, don't know if it will start then or to get our information on dates to go.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Well, no snow but lots of cold, for us, the old heater is running up a nice warm air flow.  Now I have to stick my nose out and go out and get the newspaper in......brrrrr.  I am getting to be a real sissy.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday, especially you Joanie, enjoy the family I know you must miss them.

Janie, Janie.  Cheer up my fair lady, it is only leaves and nature will take care of them, even if you don't.  And I am sure the neighbors want disown you for leaves in the yard...... ;)

Callie, I believe I owe you one of these........ :-*     just wait until next year...... ;D

Lloyd Hammond

Amy
feed your hubby lots of asparagus , any way he will eat it . chop it puree , liquefy with fruit juice or what ever,let your mined wander on ways to fix it. lot about it on google how to.much more positive than neg.
will in some cases cure in other lower the numbers. worth a big try. have a great day

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, raining and cooler than it has been. Wind will pick up later this afternoon and by evening we might have snow flurries.

JOAN  looks like I better learn to proof read before I post. Goodness 411 years ago I doubt planes were even thought of. 41 sounds more like it. I no longer ask my SNA to cook.  I get the apples cut up and in the slow cooker to cook overnight. She is a nice young woman but her cooking is horrible.

HAL  you too?  Oh well now you know how old I really am. No wonder the old body is giving me problems.

CHIA  thank you for the JL greeting. Love that one.

PHYLLIS  computers sure changed from the huge machines they had  to something like a smart phone and watches, wow Dick Tracy sure was ahead of the times talking to his watch.

LLOYD  saw on the news where parts of our country had some strong winds yesterday.

LARRY  I hope I never have to go back to a dial up connection. I was amazed to see the huge difference when my grandson set me up with cable.

CALLIE  oh boy, when I had a sister and BIL living in Oklahoma she would send me fresh pecans and they were so good. They sure are expensive these days.

JENNY  how much snow did you end up with?

GLORIA de  when was the last time you had your eyes checked?

JOAN  do not worry about not being here all the time, enjoy your family. They are much more important than a computer and people you never met in person. Like the rest of us you have a life away from the PC. Enjoy every minute you can. Don't forget to give Finlay a hug from his cyber aunties.

JUNE  right, we will behave  so Joan does not have to worry about us.

JANE  well look at that leaf raking as some good exercise in the fresh air.

HAL  with all the good food at those church suppers glad you had room for that pecan pie.

PHYLLIS  I have always liked seeing the mist hanging over the ponds, always wanted to take pictures of it but they never turned out good. Thank you.

JOAN  great chuckles, love those names. Food for Thought gives us something to think about, are we doing all we can?

AMY  bet your house smells great with those apples.

AMY  prayers for your hubby and the chemo.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

Good morning.  A bright, chilly morning here.  The winds really blew yesterday and brought down so many leaves.  My son, David, will join your pity party, Jane.  He had just finished blowing leaves off of the driveway, walks, and porches when the wind came up.  In a very short time it looked like he hadn't done any of that.  He just sighed.  The bright side of that is it cleared away the smoke from the NC mountain wildfires.  I was really tired of coughing and coughing and......

For those of you early birds that liked today's graphic, thank you very much.

Joan, enjoy the family.  It is so nice that your GS and his lady came by for a surprise visit and I know you will enjoy Joe and his family while they are there.  My boys went through that stage, too, of not liking to be photographed.  I never got over not liking it.  Still not happy to have my picture taken and rarely look at any that have been taken in the past.  Never met a camera that liked me.  Once, years ago, I had my picture taken by a professional photographer and even my mother, when she saw the photo, didn't recognize me!  Some people just aren't photogenic.

I'm cooking a big pot of beef stew, at David's request.  It is a chilly day and just right for a bowl of beef stew, some crusty Italian bread, and a dessert of warm, poached pears with maybe a dollop of ice cream on top.  You're all invited....bring your own knives, forks and spoons, please.
phyllis
Cary,NC

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is a glorious day the Lord has made for us.  One weather report said it was 31 degrees in North Augusta but my gauge said it was 40.  However, I did notice my neighbor had frost on the top of her car.  I guess it is time to bring in the garden hoses for the winter months.  I will attend Sunday School and church this morning.  I had hoped Pat would be up to going but she doesn't so won't.  Maybe next week.  I enjoyed the football games yesterday as my teams won, i.e., South Carolina, Georgia and Clemson.  I will have a quiet afternoon of listening to Don't classical music program, rest and then watching some football games later this afternoon.

The morning has gotten away from me so I will have to come back later to add any separate comments.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Sunny and cold - and windy  :( - in central Oklahoma this morning.  I didn't cover the pansies last night and they look o.k.

Thank you, Hal.  :)   

Gloria,  the local Lions Club where my son is (near my hometown) is selling the pecans so I feel I'm helping them out at the same time.  However, two of his friends have joined the "hunt" for the weekend and he may not have time to go into to town and get them.   I understand.

Jane, You may remember sitting on my patio when you were here.  Because of the big cottonwood trees behind the fence, the leaves pile up in the corner by the door.  Just as I get one batch swept up - another one blows in.  I'll join you in the  :tickedoff: .

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

JaneS

I've been to church and coffee hour and made a quick stop at WM to get my granddaughter a birthday card.  It's really cold out there. "They" are saying 38 but it's windy and the wind chill says it "feels like 28".  I can believe that!  It's really cold.

Hal, and everyone else, when leaves are on sidewalks and porches and they get snowed on, before they can become productive mulch they become hazardous walking.  And in a small, struggling for grass yard like mine, leaves lying there all winter do not become productive mulch.  They become killers of struggling grass.  I'm still going to have to clean them up.  I love trees but I don't much like leaves.

Callie, I do remember raking leaves when I was little but I wasn't a fan of jumping in them.  My favorite part was burning them.  I loved the scent of burning leaves and the warmth that the small fire gave.  I stayed out there with my daddy until the fire was permanently OUT!  And the scent of burning leaves could draw me to anyone's fire.  And now we're not allowed to burn them!

I wonder what I can get into today!

JoanFL

If you pray, would you please say a prayer for Joe.  Kate had to take him to the hospital this morning.  He was in terrible pain and was having trouble breathing.  Thanks.

halkel

Callie, I saw an ad in todays paper for pecan halves, shelled for 8.99 a pound.  Wonder if they are this years crop or last years.  Sometimes they will sell their old crop at "sales prices".  Pecans have always been expensive to buy and I don't know if people will let you in on the creek beds to pickup wild pecans or not anymore.  Used to they would.  But it was hard work cracking those little hard shelled pecans.  My neighbors has two pecan trees in their back yard but I never did see many pecans on them.

JaneS

Prayer for Joe on the way, Joanie.  Let us know when he's better!

phyllis

A lot of prayer for Joe, Joan.  And prayers for the doctors who will treat him.  Let us know what they find out and we'll hope it isn't as serious as it sounds right now.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Amy

Lots of prayers heading your way for Joe  and you  also Joan
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Joan,  praying for healing for Joe - and strength and courage for all of you.

Hal,  there are pecan trees on our property where the boys are  but the deer and wild hogs take care of most of them.  Plus - the boys don't like to take time to gather them and I surely don't like the job of shelling/picking out the meat!   That was my husband's job back in the day.  He would put a big bowl of unshelled nuts and a nutcracker/pick next to his recliner and work on them while he watched t.v.

As it turns out,  two of son's friends joined him and his brother this weekend and he won't have time to go into town to get any.  He said there are some in the freezer at his house that I can have.  (Wish he'd told me that to begin with!!!!)
I'll get them on Thanksgiving.

Shirley

Oh, how awful, Joan.... was he home or at your house?  Prayers for Joe & all of you, no question this hits the whole family hard.  Hope you have good news soon that it isn't serious, sometimes a warning is a blessing since our kids (all about the same ages)... don't think anything can get them down! 

Turkey #2 in the oven, stuffed & more stuffing to bake later.... noodles & turkey simmering, giblets boiling... hey, this Butterball had the neck!  Will make the gravy in the roaster when the turkey is done & then wash the roaster & put the turkey back in to haul to gr-son's house.  This is birthday for oldest gr-son & son-in-law, tomorrow is birthday for daughter-in-law & gr-daughter, have a gr-son in law's in a couple days & son's was the 17th.  Oh, almost forgot, another gr-son in law's this week.  When we sing happy birthday I usually have a list of names we go through to not leave anyone out.... only I forgot to print it out this time.   :-[

God Bless Joe, Joan.... I'll be checking often for news.   Hugs to all.....

Cold outside here & want to let y'all know that we had that windddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd yesterday.  Jane, only 2 of us pick up leaves in my neighborhood, the wind catches at our front doors in opposite directions, I get everyone's from the north & west & she gets them from the south & west.  I totally agree that smelling them burn is a treat but never for this windy state!

Denver

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JoanFL

Diagnosis:  Blood clot in heart and lung.  They gave him a prescription for blood thinner and another for pain.  He's to see his own doctor when he gets back to Alabama.  Thanks for the prayers.

Mary Ann

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear what Joe's problem is.  Blood clots are nothing to sneeze at.  I take a blood thinner - Eliquis - to prevent clots.  If the hospital released him, the doctors must feel at least he is OK to go home and follow instructions from his regular doctor.

Best wishes to him.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Joan, I am surprised that Joe wasn't hospitalized but hope the pain has been lessened. 

I have read through all of the postings since I posted yesterday and then again this morning but think I will offer no further comments today.  I did appreciate the postings.

Joy

Joan,  I am so sorry to hear about your son.  Sure hope he is doing better this afternoon.  I am having computer problems, so I might be missing for a while. I will certainly be thinking of your family.   I am on my Kindle now and I have a hard typing with the small letters.    Joy                                                                       
BIG BOX

June Drabek

I thought I posted this morning before I left for Church. I came back now and saw my post on note pad, highlighted, so I dumped it. A big mistake. I highlighted it but evidently did NOT copy and paste. I just can't trust my self at all, at all. I hate to see me decline like that.

Bis, I hate even more to see that your Joe has run into trouble, and I am surely praying for him. Now more than ever I think you should think seriously of moving closer to him, your daughter and their families. Life is so precious, and we should take every advantage we have of gathering together as a family. I have prayed to God for your, and our, Joe. I value him as your son...he  is one of the "good" guys, in my thinking. I just feel so sure that this is just a physical warning for Joe. My Gary had his warning, and is surviving well and happily, and Joe will too. Is Kate capable of driving back to Ala. if necessary ?  She seems so reliable with her work and mother-hood combined .We will live positively my Bis, knowing that our God is in complete charge. Hugs and love to you.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Jeanne Lee

Joan, not a very pleasant visit for Joe.  I do know how important prayers are and I'll be sure to keep Joe on my list.  And as you know, we all want to know how things progress.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JoanFL

Thanks for all the prayers.  Joe has been sleeping since they came home from the hospital.  Kate has driven here before, just she and Finlay, so if she has to do the driving going home it's no problem.

Amy

I am so glad they found and have a solution for Joe's problem.....and good to hear Kate can do the driving.
Jimmy Dean

CallieOK

Joan,  good to know that Joe could be treated without hospitalization.   Must be scary for Finlay and it's good that you're there to help with that.
Prayers continue.