Random Image

Wise Turtle

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 20

Started by JoanFL, November 20, 2016, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

June Drabek

We have had a few times of very light rain this after noon, every drop is welcome. It has been a rather cool day too. I have had a sweater on all day.I'm hoping and praying that all is well and peaceful at Bis's home. It was good to know Joe was having a nice sleep..that is so healing. I'm sure our Finlay must have been quite disturbed about his father..it is hard for the young to experience illness in a parent, but he has two good strong women with him for reassurance.

I went down for my daily bandage change. They are pressing the fact that I must come down daily, since two days I did skip..not two in a row, but they must keep close tabs on us. Then home to compute and relax. Nothing happening in entertainment on Sundays, so I will have my supper and an early bed and book.

I hope you are all having a peaceful evening and I hope to be in to say Goodnight later.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Lindancer

Good evening, was not going to come in to day, but saw the message from Joan.  My prays are with you and your family. They did let Joe come home, so that is a good sign. Also a big hug for you.

June and Gloria I do have and appointment with the eye doctor on the 28th.  It was scary, not to be able to read. Lasted about 2 hours. Was strange to discriber like rainbow bubbles.

I am very tired, a friend as me to go to the Christmas Tree Shop, to day, so I got a lot of myChristmas shopping done.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

June Drabek

Gloria de, I am happy that you were well enough today to go out shopping, but my dear friend...your health and your eyesight is far more important than shopping. Do take care of yourself my dear.There is only one YOU on this whole earth, and we need you here...relaxed and well and happy.

My supper is over, kitchen in order and bed is calling. It is only six thirty, but the body has had enough and wants to cozy down for the night. So, I will obey.

God Bless you all my dear ones. I love you greatly. Prayers will continue for Joe, and all of you.

Shirley

We had our Thanksgiving & birthdays party & I knew if I didn't clean the kitchen before getting on the computer I would be too tired to do it later.  I've been so anxious for news about Joe.... and Joan, this is the "good news of the bad news", right?  Did they also warn him about sitting in the car (or anyplace) for too long?  Can't remember what they recommend about stopping every so often..... but he really needs to think about that. 

I am worn out tonight, but happy.  The kids & grands are all so good to each other (and me), I feel so lucky & blessed.  Even if they weren't my family I would think they are nice people.   :smitten:  Andy's daughter is to deliver their son Tuesday.... one way or another!  She is the mother of the now 3 year old red head... and the one that had thyroid cancer just over a year ago.  So far everything looks okay but prayers are welcome~  My oldest gr-daughter flew in from Seattle with hubby & year & half little boy.  She has some permanent paralysis on one side of her face, from the Bell's Palsy she had when pregnant. 

Wishing all of you sweet dreams, a peaceful night and wonderful tomorrow. I'm going to find those zzzzs that I missed out on last night. 

halkel

Joanie, what a bummer.  I hope Joe gets back in good health rapidly.
He and the family will be in my prayers, as well as Tisies brood.   

We had an execution of a police officer here in San Antonio today.  He was shot in the head twice by someone who stopped, walked up and shot him twice in the head.  Ironically it was within sight of the police headquarters.  He was 51 years old and a 20+ year veteran of the force.  The killer is still on the loose.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/crime/article/SAPD-officer-shot-killed-near-police-HQ-downtown-10626488.php

Nite, nite, God Bless and Sweet Dreams....

JaneS

Wanted to check up on Joe before going to bed.  I'm sure you are relieved that his problem has been identified and can be treated.  I will continue to keep him and the family in my prayers. 

Good Night Everyfriend!  May God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Denver

Just checking to see if there is any more news about Joe?  I hope that all is well.  Seems most of the time anyone with these symptoms and started on blood thinners would be kept in the hospital.  Sure hope he does well and can be safe to finish out the visit and get home safely.  Continued thoughts and prayers. 

SHIRLEY, I had your gathering taking place on Saturday.  Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time together and enjoyed the yummy food you prepared for them.  I hope you are sleeping like a log tonight and the kitties will let you sleep. 

Pleasant dreams to all,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's French toast and breakfast sausage to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

My Bedside Table

Old age is catching up with me,
From my toes up to my head.
I felt it most while gazing
At this table by my bed.

I laid my hair piece over there,
My own has grown quite thin.
The hearing aid is next to it;
I'm deaf 'til its put in.

Also, I can't see a thing,
Without my glasses on.
They're beside my false teeth;
Yes, my own are gone.

I kinda get the feeling
As at those things I stare......
There's less of me here in this bed
Than on that table there.

Food For Thought

The Other Side
(Author Unknown)

A sick man turned to his doctor, as he was leaving the room after paying a visit, and said, "Doctor, I am afraid to die. Tell me what lies on the other side."

Very quietly the doctor said, "I don't know."

"You don't know? You, a Christian man, do not know what is on the other side?"

The doctor was holding the handle of the door, on the other side of which came a sound of scratching and whining, and as he opened the door a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness. Turning to the patient, the doctor said, "Did you notice that dog? He had never been in this room before. He did not know what was inside. He knew nothing except that his master was here, and when the door opened he sprang in without fear. I know little of what is on the other side of death, but I do know one thing: I know my Master is there, and that is enough. And when the door opens, I shall pass through with no fear, but gladness."

Thought of the Day

"Death is not the end of life; it is only the gateway to eternity. We were meant to live forever, and death is only a transition from this life to the next. The question isn't whether or not there is life after death. The only question is where we will spend eternity - either with God in that place of endless joy the Bible calls heaven, or apart from Him in that place of endless despair the Bible calls hell."

- Billy Graham

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's 27º here this morning and only supposed to get up to 40 today.  I think winter is finally here.  A great many of the leaves in my yard have blown up against the house and the porch steps and in the stones along the front of the house.  I think, if I have any energy left when I come home from work today, I'll try to bag the ones on the concret and however many of the others that have blown into piles.  My son said he'll take them to the disposal area where the boro uses them to make mulch.  Someone is there on Wednesday and that's when he'll do it.

Joanie, I hope Joe spent a restful night and is beginning to feel better with his medication.  Having something like that happen is never good but to have it happen on vacation away from home has to have some trauma attached.  Prayers continue.

I'll be off to Wally World this morning at 8.  I don't usually work on Mondays but since I'm working Thanksgiving morning, she gave me Wednesday off to break up the week.  I hope Everyfriend has a lovely day!

Amy

Good morning
Well..it has been a while since I  have sashayed with either snow blower or snow shovel but today is the day...for both of them. Shovel  a foot away from the garage door so I can get the snowblower going. We have to cal CAA to come and pick up hubby's van as the starter went on it.....good thing is it happened in the yard  :thumbup:
I had better get a wiggle on.
Joan, thank you for breakfast
Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Good morning Jane. have a great day at work..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Amy!  Enjoy your "dancing".  Sorry about the car!

Amy

Jane, we were very lucky as it died in the yard.. :thumbup:
Jimmy Dean

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone!
I thought I best check in and let you all know I am ok , just ben a Laze couch Jockey. I come in and reed
but can't rember it long enough usually to write a comment. but jane I think you should get one of those light weight leaf blowers and just use it in your path way. head them out just far enough for mother nature to take them on to your neighbors.
Amy I don't know what to tell you about snow blower.you could get a skid steer and a broom attachment .  but they cost lot of $$$. I guess just be thankful you seam to be healthy to operate the shovel and blower.
Have a great day ever one. I am going to get out of the house and try to get my dozier started and get the track back on it,and tighten it up. and then clear some paths to build some new fence so can cell pasture.

Lloyd

phyllis

Thinking about you, Joan, and Joe, Kate, and Findlay, and praying that all of you spent a restful night.  In trying to find the bright side of all of this I am grateful that Joe had arrived there at your home and was not in some unknown town between Fla. and Ala. and trying to find help, that the hospital was close and familiar to you, that the doctors were able to treat him and assure him, and all of you, as to cause and treatment, and that he had the comfort of being near his mom and his own family during a scary time.  It could so easily have happened when he was alone and in a strange place.  God was looking out for him.  Blood clots are serious but treatable.  Now that he has had a warning sign he will know how to take care of himself. 

Amy, hope the chemo session went smoothly for your DH, and for you.  Not fun to have to deal with snow removal on top of everything else....including the temporary problem with the van.  Snow is beautiful when you don't have to be out in it.  Take it easy while shoveling and blowing....too much depends on you staying healthy.

Cold, but bright and sunny here this morning.  No smoke so hopefully it will be another cough free day for me.  We are being warned of the heightened fire danger in our area now so I hope everyone around here is very careful.  It seems so strange that after we all were deluged when the hurricane came through we are now hoping for rain.  Mother Nature does like to fool with us, I think.

I hope it will be a good day for all of you.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Lloyd Hammond

well it is bright sunny here and 28º . Nancy made french toast for breakfast out of the home made bread she made the other day. some of it broke off when she was slicing it in sort of strips. so she batter diped
it, she put cinnamon vanilla and sugar on it (delishes). I did breakfast yesterday . Nancy has a salad shooter I used it and made hash browns sausage and eggs soft over easy and toast.

Lloyd

Jeanne Lee

How about the weather for a convrsation subject?

Here it's very windy and cold, following yesterday's and last night's snow.  We only got about an inch accumulation but about 60 miles south of us it was a different story - anything from 10 to 44 inches.  And that's not the lake effect coming off Lake Erie, it's in the mountains east of the Hudson River.  The high winds here could possibly gust up to 40 or 50 miles per hour  :yikes:  so if you don't see me around, check on the state of Maine to see if I've stopped there.  Otherwise, maybe Ireland or England.....   :lol:

Temperatures aren't expected to go much higher the rest of the week - and that means probably not above freezing.  Fortunately, my propane tanks were filled last Friday.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is another beautiful clear morning with no wind and it is about 40 degrees.  We apparently won't make it to 60 degrees today and have a fire warning for this afternoon as things are so dry and the humidity is suppose to be between 15 and 20 percent.  Fortunately, there is not suppose to be much wind.  There was a grass fire about 5 miles from where we live and several homes were evacuated for a short period of time over the weekend.

Pat did not make it to church yesterday as just didn't feel up to going. 

My schedule is light for today as just plan to attend my Monday noon meeting.  Depending on how Pat and I are feeling we might decide to make that trip to COSTCO that was postponed on Friday.

Joy, I hope you can get your computer problems fixed quickly.  I understand about the difficulty of typing on the small tablet keyboards.  I have found using a stylus does help as you can see better where you want to type. 

June, don't forget to be kind to yourself.  We can call make mistakes like losing a posting, which I did a few days ago.  I think you do very well. 

Joan, I hope Joe is feeling better today and the pain has stopped.  Will this problem cause them to shorten their visit with you?

Shirley, glad you had such a good time at the Thanksgiving/Birthday celebration.  It sounds like you have a wonderful family. 

Hal, this random attacking of police officers seems to be going on all over the country.  It has to be a scary time for the police and a sad time in the history of our country. 

Phyllis, we haven't had any smoke here either for the last two or three days. 

Gloria

Good morning everyone we had a light dusting of white overnight. Glad it was not a lot of snow because with the wind so strong it would have been a blizzard. Now on the news they guesser is saying we could have a mix on Thanksgiving day. If that happens I will call =my son and tell him I will stay home.  I would not want him to come and get me and then take me home. Then I would not trust my footing to walk on any surface that could be slippery.

PHYLLIS  yes this is weather for beef stew or chicken soup. Anything hot that makes us feel warmer. Think I will get some stew out of the freezer for later today.

CALLIE  for a good cause I would pay that for pecans, too.

JANE  I went out for a short walk yesterday and the wind was strong and cold. Like I said a short walk. Like you I miss the smell of burning leaves.

JOAN  I will pray that Joe will be OK. You and Kate and Finlay are included in my prayers.

HAL  my SIL had a cousin in Arizona who had 2 pecan trees and she had a cracker for them the opened them in halves. She would give my daughter 2 pounds of shelled halves  every year when they went there for Thanksgiving.

SHIRLEY  after the warmth we have been having yesterday with the cold and wind was a shock. The sun is shining now but doubt I will head outside today.

JOAN  darn those blood clots that happen. Thank God the clots can be taken care of.

GLORIA de  any trip to a Christmas Tree store can be tiring. So many things to see there.

SHIRLEY  glad all that work is over and you can take time to relax. Wonderful when family members can all get together.

HAL  too much shooting of policemen lately. On local news there has been reports of drive by shootings.

JOAN  with your worry about Joe you could have skipped your morning post. Bless you for being the person you are. Love My Bedside Table. A lot of folks like that these days. I copied The Other Side. Thank you for all today's goodies.

PHYLLIS  your post said it all. Wish I could explain how I feel but words escape me.

LLOYD  you are a good cook and so is Nancy.

JEANNE LEE  heard not to far from here in Conn. They had 13 inches of snow. The dusting we had here has gone already. Glad you have enough gas to keep warm.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Mary Ann

We had a little snow Saturday. maybe an inch or two, and some is still on the ground.  We haven't had any since then, but our temps have been in the low 30s during the day.  When we left for church yesterday, my thermometer read 29 degrees.  Now, at nearly 11 am, it is 34 degrees.  You can bet I've been wearing my winter jacket!  Brrr!

Mary Ann

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Another bright sunny morning, but plenty cold for folks in this neck of the woods.  Not freezing, but the heat went on as soon as I got out of bed.

Joanie, I hope Joe is doing okay this morning.  When are they headed back home?  I know they must be dreading the trip.  I sat with a pilot friend of mine at church Thanksgiving Saturday and he flew out yesterday to his home base, Detriot, then to Minneapolis/St Paul then to Amsterdam then back to the states (cant remember where he said then back to Amsterdam then to Atlanta and then he has to "commute" back to San Antonio.  He flies for Delta.  He is rapidly reaching the mandatory retirement age and he says he is going to really miss flying, he loves it.  He gets some really nice trips all over the world.

Boy how in the world did I ever get so far off a conversation point. Talk about rambling.

Amy when I lived in your part of the world I had a 1953 Ford and the starter on that thing was under the car and had a cap over the end of it that continually was getting knocked off with ice and snow and the the starter would get full of ice and snow and mess it up, I was continually having to have it worked on.  But you like me belong to an auto club which I love. I certainly get my moneys worth every year.  I could never change a battery on my cars at my age, it is almost a major project with all the stuff you have to take off to get to them.

Janie, Lloyd has a good idea there.  Get yourself a nice light weight leaf blower, they work like a charm and beats raking.  They are great to use on your porch/patio just to clean them off from the stuff that collects on them.  I think they would probably work on light snow on sidewalks, maybe up to a 1/2 inch.  Never tried one, but have used them on water on my patio.

Anyhow, hope everyone has a great day.

Lloyd Hammond

Jeanne Lee glad you did not get so much .hope you do not find any reason to be out in it. I remember such snows as you are talking about. one winter when I was working for the county running a motor grader . we had about 36" and blowing drifting bad. for a 1/4th mile long on one of my roads drift clear across the road.  i would set the blade sharp angle and high run in it fast as far as it would go then set the point of the blade down start the grader in reverse and turn the blade to turning and move back and stop and raise it and re set it and repeat until i was out and repeat until i got through it then back up out of it and set the blade out to the side several times until i had at least one lane clear. had a new grader with a good heater in it.but I am glad do not have to do that any more we had two way rodeos in them so if we got in trouble we could call for help, I was the one that usual went to help tough. I had more experience. older man.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Joe feels somewhat better, but sure not top top.  Right after I posted this morning, my internet went out and just came back on.  They plan to leave tomorrow morning--Kate will be doing the driving.

Mary Ann

Joan, I feel sorry for Joe having to travel that distance while not feeling well.  It is good that Kate is able to do the driving.

Hal, your experience with the starter on your car being underneath the car and having trouble with snow and ice reminded me of one of our Corvairs.  Those cars were lower than other cars and I think it was the muffler that scraped the top of the snow in the middle of our ribbon driveway.  The snow took the finish off the muffler but as I recall it did not cause any trouble.  I didn't have a snow blower in those days and had to shovel the drive and walk myself (I lived alone but I was much younger then!). 

Mary Ann

JeanneP

JeanneLee. Glad to see you back posting. Seems like winter has hit your area.
Here it is cold (39 deg) but the sun out and so think will put on winter coat and head out. Will not be to a grocery store. I went to Miejers about 4pm yesterday thinking people would have finished shopping. Took almost a hour to check out.
JeanneP

JaneS

I'm home and I'm tired.  The crazies are all shopping for Thanksgiving dinner already and my lane was on the food side of the store so constantly busy.  I think I'll finish my lunch and grab a few zzzzs before I begin a project.  It's still too windy to rake leaves.

HAL and LLoyd, I've been thinking of investing in one of those gadgets that suck up the leaves into a bag you carry on your shoulder.  Then I could empty that bag in to a regular leaf bag and my son will dispose of them for me.  Maybe next year.  With Christmas coming and some other projects hollering for help, there's nothing extra this year.

Have a good day Everyfriend!

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

Joan, glad to see Joe is feeling somewhat better.  Good thoughts for their trip home.

Jane,  maybe you should put the leaf bagger on your Santa list.

Sorry to report that everyone will have to settle their own issues because I didn't go OTL with the Church Ladies yesterday.  I'm glad I didn't because I would have missed a phone call I never expected to get.

A year ago just about now,  my dearest and longest-time friend in Amarillo called to tell me she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.   Her mother had died from complications of this disease so, naturally, my friend - and everyone else - was quite concerned.
I'd had no more contact with her until yesterday - when their phone number showed on my Caller ID.
Almost hated to answer because I was so sure something had happened to her.
I was thrilled when it was MB herself!  She said that medicines have slowed the disease's progress and, while she certainly has problems, she is still capable of an articulate conversation.  We visited for almost 2 hours and I'm sure we could have gone a couple of more if she hadn't begun to tire.

Then, last night, I had text messages coming at me from every member of the family except Ellen!  Both sons had gotten deer with many-pointed antlers.  One dil had agreed that the head could be mounted - and would be hung on the patio as a BBQ Buck.  The other dil was "thinking about it".
They also got a 675 pound wild boar that had been caught in a trap the property renter puts out.  Apparently, it was missing an eye - so the other son decided they should mount that head - with a patch over the eye - and hang it as a Pirate Party Pig to go along with the BBQ Buck.
Needless to say, that didn't go over quite as well - and the silly texts were flying back and forth.
Such fun to be in on all of it.

One son will make jerky from his venison.  The other one will donate his to some local Shelter kitchens that use it for chili and other dishes.  Local "gourmet" chefs take turns preparing meals at the shelters and always manage to make something delicious from whatever is in the pantry at the time.

Need to start prepping for making Thanksgiving dinner contributions.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day

JaneS

Callie, for the past two Christmases, I've been the recipient of a cooler full of venison, compliments of my SIL and delivered by my daughter.  I've always loved venison and thanks to the efforts of my growing son, my husband and my FIL (my MIL refused to cook it or eat it) I always had a freezer full.  The not only got their Whitetail Deer in PA, they went to Wyoming and brought back Mule Deer.  I became very creative.  It makes not only good chile, but good stew, swiss steak and anything else that calls for hamburger or beef.  I tend to think this is one of the reasons I'm still healthy.  There is not as much fat on venison as there is on beef.

What fun you must have had, sharing all that banter!

June Drabek

Bis, I'm sure we all feel concern about Joe's traveling home tomorrow, but I can understand his needs to be back in familiar areas where his own doctor is. Kate strikes me as a very sensible and clear minded lady, so you can relax in that area. Prayers will continue today for renewed strength in Joe, and tomorrow for a safe and relaxed journey home. Can they make it in one day ?

I had a weird night. Read till 9 p.m. then slept soundly till 11 p.m. which I felt should be morning..no luck..but a nice soft rain was still falling, thanks be to God. Went back to bed and to sleep, woke again 4 a.m. so just stayed in bed till sleep arrived again. I woke to daylight, and took my first pill, back to bed and felt I would spend the day there...no way...body got restless so I went to the recliner and started the morning prayers..didn't get far, till I was sound asleep again. Finally at 9 a.m. I woke, feeling like I could start to live again.Took so more pills and had a light breakfast. Finished morning prayer..even sang a hymn, and here I am. Still in p.j.'s and robe, and in no hurry to dress. Oh, I did make my bed.

Jane, I feel like a real slug..you have done a days work at W.M. and home to contemplate the leaves. I'm glad it is too windy for you to go out there and wear yourself down.  I do wish you would try Hal's method of mulching, you work too hard as it is, without that raking to do. I tried venison one time, but didn't like it...a bit too strong for my taste, I also tried wild Goose...same thing..a very strong flavor. Being raised in Minn., most every one hunted, but no one in my family. We ate more pork back there. Lots of small farms where they raised pigs...easy to raise and hearty health-wise.

I'm ready for a lay-down again. Be back later.

JoanFL

Thanks again for all the prayers.  They will leave fairly early tomorrow morning--it's about a 10 hour drive.  Joe's been sleeping all afternoon again--Daisy is right up on the bed with him.  Finlay's nanny from when they lived in Boston is visiting today.  The family she works for now is vacationing a bit south of here and gave her the day off to come and visit.  Kate, Finlay and GailAnn have gone to the zoo and out to lunch.