Random Image

birthday party

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 27

Started by JoanFL, November 27, 2016, 03:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Thank you to Everyfriends who rejoiced in my good news, re, no cancer, and being signed off.....It was a lightened load off my mind, no more hanging over me.... like a new lease of life, as they say....

" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's assorted mini muffins to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

SYMPTOMS OF SENILITY VIRUS:

1. Causes you to send same e-mail twice.
2. Causes you to send blank e-mail.
3. Causes you to send to wrong person.
4. Causes you to send back to person who sent it to you.
17. Causes you to mis-number paragraphs
5. Causes you to forget to attach the attachment.
6. Causes you to hit "SEND" before you've finished the

Food For Thought

10 Sayings to Remember about God and Life
--Author Unknown

1. If you feel far away from God, guess who moved?
2. Fear knocked. Faith answered. No one was there.
3. I am God's melody of life and He sings His song through me.
4. No matter what is happening in your life, know that God is waiting for you with open arms.
5. God has a purpose and plan for me that no one else can fulfill.
6. The will of God will never take you to where the grace of God will not be sufficient for you.
7. Begin to weave and God will give you the thread.
8. Sometimes when God says "no", it's because He has something better in store for you.
9. The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us.
10. Prayer: don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty.

Thought of the Day

Every time we experience a trial, the world watches to see the substance of our faith - watches to see if we maintain our love and devotion; watches to see if God will see us through this difficult time. There may often be no better way to minister to others than to simply praise God in the middle of our own trials - no better way to show that God is real than by making Him real in our own life.

- Steve Troxel

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Where is Lloyd???

Too early to get up but couldn't go back to sleep......going to be a long day.

Taking my van in for an oil change this morning ,then helping a neighbour with wood/limbs. Hydro cut down a tree and he doesn't burn wood...we do :)  Will also help load all the brush to be taken to the dump. May sneak in some sewing too :))

I did manage to get some sewing in yesterday but spent some time with Jack (the stitch ripper) anyone that sews knows this is not a welcome date!!

Jenny, I too, am so thankful no bones were broken..I can't have anything happening now, not even a cold!!

Gloria de, when I order breakfast out I always ask for my bacon crisp.

Callie, thank you, yes I am getting better and betterier :) Knee is the worst but it has a chance to stay in bed when I get up or come with me and it always comes with me......guess it doesn't want to miss out on the days happenings  :2funny:

Jackie, good morning...

Joan, thank you for breakfast

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  It'll take a few days for that soreness to work its way out.  It's nice of you to help your neighbor.  I wonder where Lloyd is, too.

JaneS

Another "slow show" reporting in this morning.  I was just too tired and my eyes were hurting too much last night to come by.  Right now it's 25º here but it's going up to 50 by midday!  Not so bad for November.

I
m on call this moring.  If Kiran is still in bed when it's time for Daddy to be going to work, he's going to call me and I'll go and wait there until she wakes up.  There's no school today and we're going to "hang out" together.  Ever since she was about 4 we've gone shopping for specific toys to drop in the TOYS FOR TOTS box at the front of WM.  That's on our agenda for today and then we'll have lunch at McDonalds and then come home and make some cookies.  I have the chocolate chip all mixed and ready to go.  Maybe we'll watch MIRACLE ON 24TH STREET together.  She has to watch it here because it's on tape and I'm the only hold out with a tape player any more.

Callie, I don't have "chocolate dipping contests" with anyone but myself.  Certain things have to be ready to send to Texas (and since Ali's wedding, to Oklahoma too) in time for Christmas.  So those are the things I do first.  The pb saltines are finished.  I finished all that I have spread, counted them and I have enough.  I'll start the PB cups next and then coconut.  The centers are all mixed.  The tedious part is making the centers.  I have a place to sit where I can see the TV and I always watch WHITE CHRISTMAS while I roll balls.  Then the Christmas music plays while I dip! 

I hope you all have a great day and that all your ailments are small and all your joys are HUGE!!!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JaneS

I just reread my post and that "miracle" was on 34th street.
But I bet you all knew that!

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  You and Kiran have a nice day planned.  I wish one of my grandchildren lived close by so we could hang out together.  Yes, I knew you meant 34th Street.:)

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....
....a good sunny but cold Monday morning...

JANE S....
....of course.... ;D.....I love watching all these ( soppy ) Christmas films.....Richard Attenborough as Kris Kringle....

Jane, your story of looking at the sky and its stars was very moving and touching.....Its ok to have a cry and breakdown now and again, you wouldnt be human if you never....I sure have done so, when not sure of my future....
.....Asking for guidance....what better place to look for it...

AMY....
....sorry to read you took a recent fall.....you must stop doing this as you will start off a chain reaction....:o

Amy seems with your hubby, its one step forwards, two steps back....let us just hope and pray that next year turns out to be his year, re, medical issues....
Not much on my today agenda but hairdressers first thing tomorrow morning...

Joy

Good morning, Joan and all the other early friends.

I  have been awake since about 3 a.m.  Woke up from a very disturbing dream. Glad it was only a dream, but left me a little rattled. Finally went to sit in my recliner, but still couldn't get back to sleep.  Got up at 5 and fixed myself some breakfast.  Got on the computer.  That seems to calm me down when I am feeling anxious for various reasons.

I plan on taking a nap sometime this morning. I have a couple phone calls to make around 8:30.

Joan, I was supposed to have gotten my new Kindle yesterday (Sunday), but had an e-mail where delivery was attempted, but didn't get delivered. The message said a peach note was placed on the door.   I went down to the front entrance, and no package and no peach note.  Since this is a secured building, there is no one in the office on the week ends. However, there is a call box where a person can scroll down to my name and buzz me on my phone.  Most delivery people know to do this, but evidently, the one who came yesterday, did not know what to do. So, I plan on calling my post office when they open to see what I am supposed to do in order to get my package.  Not sure if my local PO will have it on for delivery today.  There was a tracking number on the e-mail, so hope that will help.
Never had a problem before with any Sunday deliveries from Amazon.

It looks like it is going to be a sunny day, but starting out only in the low 30's.  At least the sun will be shining.

Jane, sounds like such a fun day with Kiran.  I wish I had my great-grand daughters close by that I could be spending a day with them doing some fun things.  Unfortunately, my grandchildren are grown and live out of town,  as do the great's, also.  I miss seeing them all.

Hope everyone will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Lloyd Hammond

Well Amy here I am. I have been reading trying to catch up. do not rember well . fill in best i can. Part of our bunch including me were sort of under the weather, but we went to bobs on thanksgiving day,then on Friday we went down to our daughters and son in laws second home down on Pomme Terre Lake spent night there , had another feed there and a good visit with them and Mikes sisters from Texas. came home Saturday still not feeling good and napped a lot and just a lazy day yesterday. I am up and at it hearing the thunder and the rain on the house . been and still at it all morning , started after midnight. wish you all a good day. Jane i know  grand daughter will always admire you for doing and shearing with her. wish we weren't so far from you we would crash the Sean and join you. I think After while i will go feed the cattle some hay and after that go to shop and work in it today don't think it is a good day to stay in house with Nancy she dont seam to be rested yet from the holiday.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Joy I have those craze dreams also no rime or reason. do not know why. Have a great day hope you relax and have a good nap after while.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Joy.  Bummer that the person delivering your new Kindle didn't know protocol. I hope they will redeliver today.

Lloyd--Good morning.  I am sorry you haven't been feeling well, but you did manage to get out and about.  Take it easy today.

phyllis

Good morning!  The very first thing I have to say is "Thank You!" to all of you who noticed and liked my graphic that Joan used yesterday morning.  It gives me a giggle, too.  I named the graphic "Ughhhhh!".  I think I can guess what that cat was feeling when the snow dumped on him/her.

Don, now the excitement and anticipation will build until travel day comes.  So happy that the doctors gave you a "go" and that soon you and Bubble will be together.

Amy, I'm glad the fall wasn't any more serious than soreness and stiffness.  I understand your worry about what would happen if you couldn't do all the things that you are called upon to do.  Probably hard for you to "slow down" but try, anyway.

So many posts to read and to share all the concerns and joys but, I do think of each one of you and say a little "Please, God," prayer for everyone of you.

I was indulging in a "pity party" yesterday so spent most of the day bingeing on the Poldark series on PBS.  They ran a marathon viewing clear into the late evening and I watched most of it, I think.  I've had about enough Poldark to last me for awhile. 

Joan, I loved today's Chuckles.  Who among us here has not done one or all of those things?  I know I have.....many, many times.

Today is the usual sort of Monday.  Laundry to be done and maybe some online Christmas shopping.  I'm off to get some breakfast and get the whole thing started.  I hope it will be a good day for all of my friends who show up in the Soda Shoppe today.

phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  "Uggghhh" is a perfect name for your cute graphic.  I'm not much for watching marathon series--another "whatever floats your boat".  I think I've done all of those chuckles several times over the years.  I'm going to do some online shopping today, too.  I have a list right here by my computer.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Joanie, as usual, liked your food for thought.  Yesterday our minister continued his sermon on Angels, both the good and the bad.  I sometimes forget God's helpers who does his bidding.

Janie, your house must smell so good, good thing I am not there I would be in trouble with you, sneaking a nibble or two.  Sounds like you and Kiram have your day planned.  I know she is looking forward to all you have planned.

Amy, you always amaze me.  Always on the go and with such a sense of good humor and zest. I know the Angels that watch over you must say "hey slow down".  I hope your DH is feeling better.

Not much on tap here today.  The old weather just stays cloudy and looks like it wants to turn loose at any minute, but, of course it doesn't.  Weatherlady said last night suppose to break up and become sunny this afternoon.  Our trees are still fully leaved out, wish we could get some frost but looks like going to be one of those winters, fronts come in dry and have lost their punch times they get here.  Typical Texas.

Jenny sorry you Bronco's lost, our Texans lost too.  Also the University of Texas fired their head coach and hired the U of Houston coach.  Poor outgoing coach only got a few million for losing his job.
:'(

Everyone have a good day.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, a frosty one her but the sun is shining

DON  glad you have a clean bill of health once again and can travel to Israel. Enjoy the trip.

JANE  wish I could make the candy I used to for Christmas. I am happy for you that you are still able to do all you do.

JENNY  your son is a blessing to those with wounds that do not heal. I will have a traditional meal for Christmas. My grandson informed me yesterday that he and his wife will be hosting it this year and have invited me. I will get to see my little great grandson, too. That is a bonus for me. He is growing so fast. Some holiday meals should not be a time of trying crazy food.

JOAN  for you and me, if bacon does not snap it is not cooked thoroughly.

JEANNE P  like you I enjoyed hearing the Warsaw Concerto yesterday, a long time favorite.

GLORIA de  I did not even open my door yesterday, just spent a lazy day doing just about nothing except enjoy Don's program.

CALLIE  that “Lite” breakfast  would have been too much for me. Either one egg OR one pancake/bacon would have been more than enough. At one time I could have enjoyed all of it, even with extras.

JUNE  here they have to buzz the apartments and announce themselves. If we want to let them in we can and if we do not want to see them we can just not hit the number on the phone to deny them. I really dislike when someone knocks at my door because they walked in when the door opened for someone else. We have a fob to release the door when we come in and a key for the back door.

JACKIE  I think we all rejoice when someone has a no cancer  told to them after a test. That is indeed the best news.

JOAN  I like mini muffins can have 2 of them. Love your chuckles, I think we have all done at least one of those. Copied Food for Thought and will be sending it on. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  that stitch ripper is not a joy. I remember having to do that when I would have to put a zipper in anything. Always had a problem with that.

JANE  after the warm weather for November when we get a cold one now if is a shock but really to be expected for this time of year. I know I have to start wearing my winter jacket and I do not look forward to it.

JOY  the mailman we have here has his own fob to get into the building. If something has to be signed for he will go to that apartment. If it fits in the mailbox that is where it goes and if it is a package he puts it on the table set aside for that. People have been honest and never taken anything that does not belong to them. Our mail room is across the hall from the laundry room.

LLOYD  Hope you feel better.

PHYLLIS  I think we all have a pity party at times. I know I have. Hope your outlook is better today.

HAL  I can send you frost like we had this morning. Looked almost like show on the roof and cars.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is an overcast 51 degree morning here in South Carolina but expected to get to 69 this afternoon.  They have put the possibility of some rain in the forecast for the next few days and it will be most welcome as it is very dry here.  We still haven't had a killing frost and flowers are still in bloom outside, including my 5 small azalea bushes in front of my porch and my potted Impatien plant that waited until late to bloom. 

Pat did feel up to going to church with me yesterday.  I went to Sunday School and then left a few minutes early and came back home and picked her up.  It is almost exactly a 10 minute drive each way and we got there just as the minister was making announcements before the service began.  After church we went to the Sunshine Grill and split a club sandwich.  They are very large and Pat just removed the wheat bread from her portion and had plenty to eat.  We did get a call from our Nigerian "grandson", who had just returned to college from being home for Thanksgiving. 

Today is going to be a light day with only my noon meeting on tap.  I just did something that will save me a trip to the Credit Union.  I had a couple of small checks to deposit.  So I used the mobile app on my phone to deposit them.  It worked wonderfully well and I could immediately see the balance increase as it was accepted.  I decided not to attend the Men's monthly meeting tonight at the church as it will be dark for the trip both ways.  I do plan on attending a special Christmas music program that will be held Thursday evening at our church with our choir director playing the piano and the choir singing with apparently some other special musical  things planned.

Hal, I believe in the would care doctors as both my Dad and Stacey were referred and got help from them.  Stacey also went to a pain clinic every month for the last two or three years of her life. 

Gloria, I agree with you on wanting some of our traditional foods on special days.  Glad your pain pill helped you get some sleep and I hope your back pain was relieved when you awoke.  Like both you and June, I would not be comfortable going to bed with my outside doors unlocked although fine I have done that a few times. 

Don, nice to see you have your ticket for your trip and expect you will be counting down the days.  Will previously recorded music programs be used on the radio while you are gone? 

Jenny, sorry that your Broncos didn't win last night.  I passed on watching the game as had previously watched both the Falcon's and the Panther's games.  My mother used to make the sea foam salad and it was always a favorite of mine. 

Amy, you may have a few additional sore muscles after working up the wood with your neighbor.  I have seen my wife remove many stitches over the years and it didn't look like fun. 

Joy, sorry that you were disappointed with not getting the new Kindle Fire. I do hope you get it today.

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  Oh yes, sometimes I forget about God's angels.

Gloria--Good morning.  The sun is shining here, and there's a nice breeze.  How nice that your grandson and his wife will be hosting Christmas and that you'll get to see your darling great grandson.  Growing up our traditional Christmas meal was ham.

Good morning, Larry.  It's dry here, too, and there have been several wildfires.  GREAT that Pat felt like going to church yesterday.  I've never deposited checks electronically.  I'll have to look into that.

Radioman34

Larry I am counting the days. During my absence the station will play repeats of my previous shows, so at least I will be there in spirit.

June Drabek

I am having a weird day. Woke happily, ready to lay back and enjoy waking to a new, lovely day. I rushed down to the laundry first thing to wash out the orange metamucil I had spilled the whole way down the front of my pajamas and slipppers, forgot the pajamas I had put in shower to dry,so they will stay in the shower to dry till it is time to wash again. I'm too tired to keep track of my mis-deeds. Any how, while my stuff was still in the washer when I found another resident sitting it the only chair with a big bundle of clothing, waiting for me to finish...I hate that . It is a small laundry area and I would never dream of crowding others this is the second offense I have run into. O.K. so I am having a lesson in patience. I'm trying, but not to receptive.

Today is grocery delivery  day, so I will be at home from 11 to 3 awaiting my grub. and grabbing some snoozes along the way. I am ready for a snooze right now.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

June--You'd think that person waiting to wash would ask you about how much longer you were going to be washing and then take his/her wash and go back to the apartment until the time you stated.

June Drabek

Bis, and she didn't move a muscle. Sat there on the only chair, with her walker and laundry basket taking up space. Being friendly as a new puppy.
My grocery delivery came in early for a change, so I got that put away.
I am very weary for some reason, so happy I do not have to be involved in anything more today. I think a nap has my name on it. See y'all later.

JoanFL

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  Kiran and I had a busy day.  I went to their house so my son could get to work by 9 and she was still sleeping.  So I took advantage of that and fell asleep on their sofa.  When I woke up, it was about 10:30 and I waited until about 11:15 and then I went up and woke her.  She must have had enough sleep because she woke up in a very happy mood and that set the day!  We shopped for Toys For Tots...one for a girl and one for a boy.  She picked out a Barbie and a set of Matchbox cars.  I thought they were good choices.  Then we picked up a few things I needed and we check out, stopped at McDonalds for lunch and then went home.

There was a car parked at the end of the street and Kiran hoppe out, looked around the corner of the house and turned and said to me, Uncle Craig is raking leaves.  He'd been there since shortly after I left in the morning and he finished raking and bagging the leaves inside the fence!  I'm still amazed.  He spent his day off helping me!  He had 11 large bags of leaves when he left.  My son will come on Wednesday and take them away.  What a relief!

And the best news...SHIRLEY, thanks to you for the method and to the Man Upstairs for His hand in it, Cathy's back was normal when she got up this morning.  We were set for another treatment after her work day if necessary but she said it isn't!  ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL!

All in all, a terrific day!

June Drabek

Janie, I rejoice with you ! A wonderful day from beginning to end.

I had a pretty much nothing day. Had lunch after putting away my groceries, then lay down to read and slept the afternoon away...again... woke up not sure where I was. That was five o'clock. Now it is going on seven o'clock and I am ready for more bed. So I will go to bed. Nothing like obeying the body.

May you all have a very peaceful night and a happy tomorrow. I love you. God's best Blessings be with with you. June

JaneS

Boy!  Everyfriend must be out Christmas shopping or Christmas baking or Christmas whatever!  It's certainly not busy here!

I spent the evening working on the peanut butter cups.  I didn't finish them but I got a good start. 

Good Night Everyfriend!  Sleep peacefully and may God bless us, every one!

Lloyd Hammond

well as I do not see any today's yet I must bee the first today? Jane if you have time i would like a how you do the peanut butter cups. I like the little ones you buy over the counter. I bet yours are better.
Have a great day.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's a DD breakfast sandwich to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

CHUCKLES

Forester

My husband, a forester, often has to consult property owners to determine boundary lines. Walking up a dirt road to question one such individual, he encountered signs that read: "No Trespassing," "Beware of Dog," and "Keep Out...This Means You!" Finally arriving at the door, he talked with the congenial, cooperative landowner.

When my husband was ready to leave, the man said to him, "Come and see me .again sometime. I don't get many visitors up this way."

Food For Thought

Jesus, the Liberator

By Sergei Sosedkin
Scripture Reading: Luke 4:14-22

He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free.
Luke 4:18
Ann, a dear supporter of our ministry, worked as a nurse in a mental health hospital in the Nazi-occupied Netherlands during World War II. She shared with me that as the war drew to an end, their hospital had to be evacuated to save the patients from extermination. In very dangerous conditions they finally escaped to safety.
Ann, who now lives in Canada, told me that recently she saw a WWII veteran in a wheelchair. She approached him and said, “Thank you so much for your sacrifice! If not for men like you, we wouldn’t be free.”
The Bible presents Jesus as our Liberator. Did you know that the name Jesus means “Savior, Deliverer”?
In our verses for today, Jesus quotes from Isaiah 61, which looks back to the Year of Jubilee (which called for slaves to be freed and debts to be canceled in every 50th year). Jubilee pointed ahead to the Messiah, Christ, the Savior. And then, to the surprise of his audience, Jesus applies those words to himself!
He came into this world to rescue us from the tyranny of sin. His teaching is the proclamation of our Year of Jubilee.
Do you appreciate what Jesus has done to free you from sin and death? Are you truly thankful to your divine Liberator? Do you want to be free? If so, put your trust in him!
Father, thank you for sending Jesus to deliver us from the slavery and curse of sin. We praise you for the freedom we have in your Son, in whose name we pray. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“Bullies are often thin-skinned, quick to overreact when challenged, and undone when people are no longer afraid to speak truth to their face.”

~ Dan Rather

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....
....good morning....a cold start to our day....temps got really low through the night, said our lowest so far,  the ground looks rather frosty, and hope not slippery....

I will be leaving within the next 20 -30 minutes for my hair appointment, hair was only last done a couple of months ago but we have our MS Christmas lunch this Saturday so thought I would bring my hair appointment through earlier, in line with that....

JoanFL

Good morning, Vanilla-Jackie.  You'll look spiffy with a fresh hair cut.  I need to get mine cut, too.