Random Image

BossCallie and PitBull

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Tablets, Pads, Smart Phones

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 11:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMMEL

Some businesses have Wifi access that they make available to anyone.  You just have to be within range.  An acquaintance of mine lives next to a pizza shop and they gave him their access code.  A medical building I go to has many Wifi sites, but they all need an access code.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

Something to think about. From ZoneAlarm

MOBILE THREATS HAVE GROWN ALMOST 300% IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS. ARE YOU PROTECTING YOUR MOBILE LIFE?

How often do you look at your smartphone each day? Do you check it 30 times a day? How about 40-55 times a day? Whether you check your mobile a (relative) few times a day or a lot, one thing is glaringly clear - we rely on those little things a lot. Actually, we rely on them a ton. In a recent study by Informate Mobile Intelligence revealed that the average American spends 4.7 hours looking at or checking his or her phone. That's one fifth of your day spent looking at an inanimate, soul-less machine.

Let’s check in with reality. Sure, the figure sounds crazy, but when you think about all the things we use our mobile devices for, it starts to make a bit more sense. Our mobile devices really do make lots of the other little gadgets in our lives obsolete. Who needs alarm clocks, cameras or watches when you have a smartphone that does it all?

And just think about all the apps we have that save us tons of time. Apps make banking, finding information on the closest beach and even ordering a pizza to right where you have pitched your sun umbrella happen in seconds, as opposed to the minutes it took to accomplish the same task on the internet or using an old-school phone.
Who can remember a time when you had to go home to check an email?! Our mobiles are what keep us in the loop at all times. And surely this is a good thing, right?

It sure would seem that all this connectivity and ease-of-use is great. But from a security standpoint, mobile has the potential to be a disaster.
Our ever-present smartphones (at last check, 47% of Americans admit to taking them along while in the bathroom) are a 6X8 storehouse of virtually all of our information. These tiny devices hold more information than the most powerful laptops did back in 2013. They contain our financial information, including credit card information, DOB and SSN’s, emails (often times including work-related emails) website login and password information, and much, much more. These little things know the in’s and out’s of our lives almost better than we do.

It’s all about our habits
There are lots of foolhardy habits that people do on a daily basis regarding their mobile devices that could end up costing them dearly in the end. These behaviors include:
• Using weak passwords
• Opening suspicious links in emails
• Accepting all “friend” requests
• Using unsecured public Wi-Fi networks to surf and shop
• Ignoring/delaying software updates
Then there are plenty of apps that employ sweeping permission policies, feeding lots of unnecessary information back to the app developers and third parties to be used to essentially spy on you and your mobile habits. All too common are rogue apps pretending to be legit but really only exist to collect data and even plant malware on devices. Other apps, though not malicious in nature, contain unintentional critical vulnerabilities that put your mobile and your data at risk, all the same.

Our utter reliance upon these little devices, coupled with our really bad practices and all the dangers apps can present make it no big surprise that the incidents of mobile threats have grown almost 300% in the last five years. And now that basically the whole world has been “mobilized”, things are only going to get worse. Thanks to services like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and in no small part due to the Internet of things, mobile attacks are poised to increase in their technique and scope.

ZoneAlarm and many other programs present complete peace of mind
All these potential pitfalls should at least cause you to evaluate your mobile habits to see where you can do a better job at protecting what’s yours. Security programs help you protect your device from rogue apps and apps that request too much information; check security levels of surrounding Wi-Fi networks and guard your communications from being intercepted.

It’s total peace of mind, wherever life takes you.

No matter how tempting it may be, don’t take your mobile’s security for granted. Regardless of how entrenched you are in this already-mobile world

RAMMEL

I'm looking for comments on Consumer Cellular and/or the Motorola Moto G Lte [3rd gen]  phone.

Does anyone use these (for cell phone service)?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jackwv

Rick, just checking in, sorry I use AT&T on my sons plan and have an iPhone.

JeanneP

Rammel.

Now I have use Consumer Cell for a long time. Have their newest phone that is a flip top. they do have one like the Iphone. I don't need it.  Only thing is that I wish they had where did not need to go from 200 min. and next up is 1000. I didn't have quite enough with the 200 but never use more that 300. Yet you loose the min. each month if you dont use them. I am going to try now to use it for calls to U.K and to Canada.  It uses your minutes with a addition 4 cents a minute charge. That pretty good. Will see how it works out.
JeanneP

JeanneP

I know that I have both bought and downloaded lots of apps to this I pad but can't find any of them now. Wanted to show. Some to GGD the other day. How do I search?
JeanneP

JeanneP

O.k think I have found them. So many ,now how can I delete big part of. Them A fast way?
Not have to open them and then delete?

Good day to do it. Really storming and will last all day
Lot colder also
JeanneP

JeanneP

Now found that you can't delete them. Can just be Hidden so that can't be seen on Purcheses.
That's so crazy .
JeanneP

jackwv

Jeanne, there are some that cannot be deleted but many can.   Check out this link, there are others on youtube but like his coverage.  I have I pad air and do not get they bottom banner but if I double click they do all shake and can remove permanently those with an X 

Give it a look   ( we are also getting the storms, was pulling weeds and had to come in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5p9u662ct8

JeanneP

Jack.  I think if one opens each one up at a time. Then puts the X on and delete maybe that will work. So many though. I will try it . Seems like they may still show up on the Purchased.  They haven't seemed to figure out once people who design them can get them on  but Apple don't know how to take them off.
Still pouring and so will play a little more.
Weeds have taken over at the back of my lot. Going to try spraying. Hard for you with Jessie in the yard.  I am laying down a lot of the 15 inch square blocks at the back. Get rid of where the weeds are bad.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Jack. That YouTube Video shows about what the IPad Book Tells you to do.
I will put my IPad here by Desktop and play it and see.
Few people saying on it that didn't work for them.  Will see if I have the special TOUCH...
JeanneP

jane

I've just touched on those I wanted to delete and they wiggle and the little X comes up and I click on it and it's gone.  I don't bother to look at whatever's been "purchased" if I want it gone.

Some can't be deleted that Apple wants there.  But those you buy and download should be deletable.

jane

jackwv

I was playing with 6 or so photo apps and it cluttered up the screen.  Was able to combine them dragging them one to another and then named it Photo apps.  Did not delete, most are free but now take up no space and I may try to use again, but all could have been deleted.

I titled another  "Extras"   and have tips, podcasts, game center, ibooks, calender, reminder, notes, video.   Seldom use but they are not taking up space on the screen.   

Seldom use the pad, but very handy at times.  I spend most of my time on windows 10.

JeanneP

I always thought that Apple were very good when you called them.  Having problem with my IPad and the Account with Them.  Held on for 45 min. last night and then when i got some young lady on was another 90 min. Got no place with her.  She was just reading from a Manuel and kept loosing the place. Was worse than if India and she was Tennessee.  Finely she said would have to get someone else. and then she lost me on the phone. Kept saying. Its your WIFi  that is not working. Yet I kept saying but it is Just my problem of not being able to get onto Apple to buy Books or use I tunes. Was trying to get a new App.  If It was my Wi Fi i could not be sitting using the Internet on the IPad right now. Finely I give up. Will see if I can find the Man at Best Buys who knows Apple.  I just need to Get a new Pass Word now in order to get into The Apps store.  She found were they have my CCard number and my Comcast acct. but had now idea how to change my Password. I just need all the setting done over. Been a long time.

Apple sales are of 27% this year . Better start getting better service.

JeanneP

JeanneP

The text is so small  on my iPad. I have moved it up to the highest but it just will not change. If I do it with 2 finger on screen it just stays until I type something but goes back small when I send.
JeanneP

Tomereader1

The November 2016 issue of "Consumer Reports" has a great 14 page article on "How to Protect Your Privacy". (CR has a "new look" so it may be hard for you to find.)  If you don't subscribe, pick up a copy at your library.  There are some steps in there that I would love to try, but am so unsure about fiddling with various "settings" on my computer, laptop, wifi and even my SmartTV.  Article is well worth reading!

jane

Quote from: JeanneP on November 02, 2016, 10:39:38 AM
The text is so small  on my iPad. I have moved it up to the highest but it just will not change. If I do it with 2 finger on screen it just stays until I type something but goes back small when I send.

You need to set the size you want in Settings if you want it to stay.

On my iPAD mini it's:

Settings/Display & Brightness/Text Size   and set the slider at the size you want.

jackwv

I spend most of my time on Windows 10, but with the Ipad air I would occasionally type and email etc.   I was interested in a Bluetooth keyboard and stopped at an Apple Store in Pittsburgh (sorry so far from home)   I picked up a Logitech keyboard and found I can also use on my phone.  When paired with a device the on screen keyboard disappears but comes back up if you remove the Bluetooth keyboard.   Giving a good video on youtube, a bit long but really shows the unit well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWsiVbqN0Yc

JeanneP

Jane.  Now that is what I did. Put the slider almost as high as it goes. Still wont stay. I shows Green. Even Bold and shows it OK there but not in the Forums. Still small.

Jack. Now I bought the key board for my IPad when I first bought it.  Been in a drawer for ages. Think I put it on twice.  I usually write long E-M and so use my Desktop for them.  If just a quick one liner if I am on IPad. I can use the drop down
JeanneP

Cottoncandy

After my last iPad update....today....I keep getting the message to log in to ITunes.......which I don't use....how can I get rid of that message or...delete ITunes app?  Candy

jane

Jeanne- the print here is small for me, too.  I guess it's the site, and I haven't found a way to make it larger except by what you do...the two finger spread.

Candy... If there is no option to skip the itunes thing, I don't know what to tell you.  I just signed in to mine, though I don't use itunes.

Cottoncandy

Ok thanks Jane.   I think it corrected when I shut down...Candy

jane

That's what I do when something freezes or acts weird...shut the dang thing off and let it get its act together in there!   :idiot2:

JeanneP

Jane.  Now I thing mine has gotten a little larger.  I must have hit something.

Candy. I don't think I would delete the Itunes off your IPad.  I don't use it a lot but have needed it on there. I was thinking it came installed when new. Be hard to get it off if it did.  It does come up once in awhile for you to update. I don't. I  just know it doesn't come up again for awhile once you close down the IPad.

Every body seems to want you to update their things anymore. I let IPad do theirs but don't bother with the others.  It is even worse on the Desktop
JeanneP

JeanneP

I don't know what happened but my desktop, ipad, tablet all messed up when trying to use passwords.  I had gotten them in such a mess as I had to change my password. All are on Comcast as my server but  ended where all 3 had different Passwords from having to change them.  Couldn't get into Apple and order a app.
Messed with them for hours yesterday. Now today I think I have them all back and using the same Password on the all.  Hate it that they will not let you use a PW if has been used in past year. Going to try to get a  more simple way to remember all the PW we now have to have in our heads. Will have to have them for everything one day.
JeanneP

alpiner1

Son gave me a tablet for Christmas . Its frustrating me to no end !  I got it out this morning for the first time since Christmas & had to charge the battery . Now I find it isn't connected to the internet .  It may just go back in the box .

jane

I assume you've put in your Network and the network/router/modem password so your tablet can connect to your wireless?

When you go to another network, you have to put in the network and password, if there is one, just like you do at home. 

[If you're trying to connect with cellular data, somebody else will need to help you.  My IPAD is only wireless and not a cellular one as I didn't want to have to pay extra for a cellular data connection.]

jane

alpiner1

WiFi wasn't connected , then really slow .

jane

I had a friend who forgot they have to connect the device, just like a computer, to the internet by cable, or in the case of wireless, with the settings on the tablet or computer. She thought the tablet would somehow magically connect.  That would not be a good thing, obviously, since anyone could then connect to your wifi. 

I don't know what kind of tablet you have, but my Ipad mini connects to whatever wifi...at home, or on a connection away from home, and is as fast as my laptop.

JeanneP

Jane.  I now use a desktop, Ipad. Amazon Fire Tablet and the new tablet I bought at christmas. .I just turned them on when I plugged them in as new. I use Comcast and so all wired up for WiFi.  Did notice the other day that someone tried using their IPad in my house.  Could use for about 5 min. and then that was it. I don't give out my number.  Seems like the Iphone  people use in here work fine
Problem in this town at one time as people were letting to many use their WIFI number.  C/U now 94% all wired up for WiFI. Not many places where you cant get in. Can just sit in car at traffic lights, Parks anywhere and get on.
JeanneP