Random Image

Coffee Tag

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of March 5

Started by JoanFL, March 05, 2017, 04:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

JANE S...
...cherish those good days and connective days with family and friends, they are " worth their weight in gold...".
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's assorted mini muffins to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Missing Parrot

There once was a lady who was very concerned about her missing parrot. Not knowing what to do, she called 911. "You gotta help me find my parrot!"

The operator patiently replied, "We can't help you with that, ma'am. This number only deals with emergencies." But the lady persisted, and then the operator told her not to be concerned, that the parrot should fly back in a few days.

Then, out of desperation, the lady begged, "But you don't understand! The only thing he says is "Here, kitty, kitty!!!"

Food For Thought

Keep Watch!
By Arthur Schoonveld
Scripture Reading: Matthew 25:1-13

Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
Matthew 25:13

A while back I was painfully reminded of Jesus' urging to keep watch. While I was driving to a meeting, someone speeding along from the other direction ran a red light and crashed into my car, totaling it and giving me my first ride ever in an ambulance. Thankfully I was not seriously injured, and I was released from the hospital after only four hours.

This made me think about how our life here on earth can end in a split second. As James puts it, our lives are like "a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14). And we don't know the day or the hour when the Lord will return or when our life on earth will end.

Unlike the five wise virgins in Jesus' parable, the five foolish virgins did not feel the need to be prepared. They discovered too late that they would need to go and get extra oil for their lamps, and when they came back to the banquet hall, the groom had arrived and the door was shut. No matter how much they pleaded, the answer was "I don't know you."

The day will come when each of us will have to leave this life. Someday we too will meet the bridegroom, the Lord Jesus. Then all that will matter is whether we have been prepared by believing in him and by serving him here on earth. And if we are prepared, like the five wise virgins, we too will be able to go in with him to the wedding banquet.

Lord Jesus, help us to be prepared when you call us home or when you return.
In your name, Amen.

Thought of the Day

"The things that make us happiest are usually right in front of our faces, but we stop noticing those things after a while.  Today is a great day to start noticing again."

~ Author Unknown

:smitten:

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Light rain here this morning and over cast. Need to pick up meds  and fresh fruit for hubby today and that is about it ,the rest of the day can be spent at home.
Poor pup is really trying to get at her stitches but the t shirt is preventing her.It will be a week tomorrow that she had her operation so I hope the stitches all dissolve or it will mean another trip to the vet.
Going to make this short and get a few things done before heading into town
Joan hope your feeling a lot better, rest when you get the chance please. Thank you for breakfast.
Enjoy your day..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good morning Everyfriend!  I was going to get in here early to do this but I got involved in the kitchen and I'm just getting here.

If you plan to catch Miss Ellen on Rachel Ray, it's on at 9 a.m. in the eastern part of the country.  I get it on WQMY out of Wilkes Barre.  WQMY is a WOLF affiliate and the show "THE REAL" precedes it.  THE REAL is on right now.  I'm READY!

Amy, I have yours beans in the oven.  That's one of the things I did in the kitchen this morning.  I set them to soak before I went to bed last night and I got them started this morning while I did other things.  Now they are baking.  I'm going to eat some for lunch.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Gloria

Good morning everyone on another frigid one here. The sun is shining so it will get above the teens at least.

LARRY  now the Red Delicious apple is about the only one I do not care for but love the Golden Delicious. I like the first Macs and then I like the Empire apples.

JOAN  they did say yesterday they had a warming trailer for those who went into the water to warm up and also a hot tub so they could get their temperatures back up. Not something I would have done even when I was young. Just continue taking care of YOU.

JUNE  my CNA always has a smile when she comes. Most of the different ones that come do have a smile but then there have been a couple of them that are grumpy. Those are mostly young ones that really do not want to work.

AMY  you are the busiest one posting here I believe. Just bringing in all the wood is a job in itself, never mind every thing all else you do. After the warm weather we had most of this winter this cold is more than we expected. I will be glad when it warms up.

GLORIA de  I have a few different Mahjong games on my computer, I enjoy that. Really not hard to learn. I never liked Spam and I have not bought it in many years. This cold has been bad enough gut with the winds we have been having I have stayed inside.

PATRICIA  our “OFFICIAL”  temperatures come from the airport in Warwick and that is close to the ocean. We are always colder here and in the summer it is reversed. We will get warmer.

SHIRLEY  I would never get by with the little sleep you get.

JOAN  a mini muffin will taste better than oatmeal this morning. Thank you for today's goodies.

I made a booboo. I have 2 appointments for tomorrow. I will have to rebook one of them. One is in the morning.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

This morning, two red tulips had joined the white/purple pansies and yellow daffodils blooming in my "pot garden".  The white Bradford pear next door and wild plum tree on the other side of the fence are also in full bloom.
Along with the red cardinals and an occasional blue jay at the bird feeders,   I'm enjoying a very colorful early Spring.

Janie,  you'll see Miss Ellen before I do!

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

Jeanne Lee

Well, it never rains but it pours. 

Saturday morning I changed the thermostat from night to day and.... nothing happened.  I was hoping, of course, that the problem was nothing more than that the recent high winds had blown out the pilot light.  Emergency call to repair company, found out I was only one of many, and help finally arrived a couple of minutes past noon. (boy was I cold & bundled up) Blower was dead.   :'(   replacement approximately $600 and not for several weeks.

He managed to get it going with a temporary fix but warned it would last only a couple of days at the most.  So my next call was to a friend from church to ask him to get me a couple of electric heaters.  He did pick up two ceramic heaters and installed them at opposite ends of the trailer, "just in case".  Good thing.  It quit again this morning with room temp only back up as far as 64o

The Town has received a grant for home repairs and I'm quite sure I qualify for that - for a furnace, water heater and roof.  All are original with the 25 year old trailer.

Meanwhile, I'm being very grateful that the Lord brought me to this church with a "Helpiing Hands" program and wonderful, helpful members.

:thumbup:

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

angelface555

Good morning from another cold Interior, it's minus 35 out there and yesterday was plus nine! Oh well, sigh.

Gloria, I went to sleep last night about 11 PM woke up about half past 1 AM and here I am. I have never slept that well since my daughter's death and sleeping pills have the opposite effect on me.

Jeanne Lee, I hope those heaters work out for you. Right now, 64 degrees would seem like a heat wave!

Callie, can I come and stay with you and see and feel that colorful spring? All we have is cold and snow.  :-\

halkel

Good morning everyone.  Jeanne I hope you get all those needed repairs.
Gloria, I am not much of a fan for Delicios apples.  When I a youngster they seemed to have a better flavor and texture, but have changed over the years.
Joanie, hope you are feeling better.
Not sure what our weather is going to do. Cloudy, rainy looking. But it cold.

JaneS

I SAW HER!  I SAW CALLIE'S BEAUTIFUL GRANDDAUGHTER ON TV!

And it was the best part of the show, too!  I kept telling her to "wave to her grandmother" but she didn't.  I know she was waving in her heart!

AMY, my beans are in their last half hour and they smell delicious.  I can't wait to eat them!

CallieOK

Jane -   :thumbup:  Another hour and 5 minutes before the show starts here.   :walkwhistle:

Angelface - if you can get here before tornado season starts....the door is open.

Amy

Jane, I sure hope you enjoy them as much as we did. I made the full recipe so we really enjoyed them......for days on end :2funny:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Denver

Good morning.....

Thank you for your offerings this morning, JOAN.  I do hope you are even feeling better and better today! 

I can't wait to see Ms Ellen!  It comes on here at 11AM.... I am taping it so I can see it over and over if needed😍

I am so sorry to read about your furnace problem, JEANNE.  Thank goodness for your church and their helping hands program.  It would be wonderful if you could get help with the replacement of this high ticket items that need replaced, but how and when can you get on the list to get them done?  You need it now!

CALLIE, I would love to be sitting out side at your place this morning, enjoying your beautiful spring bloomings.  I am in Texas at the perfect time to see the bluebells and I hope they will be popping out soon. We are to have a better day of weather, but more rain is "ah commin"! 

GLORIA, that seems to be very common regarding "official temps".  Denvers is out east at the airport, and never is even close to what downtown temps are, or down where we are.  Also for precipitation.  We get twice or three times the amount of snow than they typically do!  Hope you got the appointments reset with out too much issue.

I am waiting for a call from my Boston Son.  Have not had a talk with him in over a week and I am ready for some updates.  He has sent a couple of pictures of the boys getting on the school bus, etc.  this is a new experience for them and they were so excited.  Mama Heidi started her new job today.  I know they are in the house and trying to get everything put away.  They were in corporate housing for a few nights. 

Dr. Dave and Grandson Matt spent the weekend taking scuba diving lessons.  They hope to be certified by the time they leave for Florida on the 18th.  It was two 10 hour days of training just Saturday and Sunday.  They had already done 36 hours of book work.  They need two more dives in a pool, and then a deep dive in open water. 

I wish you all a wonderful day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

angelface555

Callie, I might need that tornado to get me down there affordably! 🌪

June Drabek

Good Morning dear friends, the sun is shining brightly, our high for the day is scheduled to be 64 degrees..going into the low 80's on Wed. and Thurs. All is well on the Western Front. Had two deliveries of meeds..first one at six a.m. for thyroid..has to be taken on an empty stomach. While here she takes my B.P. and puts a cardiac patch on my arm. What an exciting life we live. No, I am not complaining. Very thankful really, for so much loving care.

Nothing special happening today,so I will try to catch up on written work that I sorely neglect. I love to get mail, but sluggish about answering, and that is not nice. My bed is made, I have had a light breakfast, but still in my night clothes. Sluggishness is now my middle name.

Was hoping to see a message from Bis, but rather she gets the rest she needs.

Gloria, A Jonathan is my favorite apple, but since I don't market shop anymore I miss out on them…such a short season. They seem to prefer red delicious apples here and they are not my favorite either, I would prefer the golden. I can no longer trust my old teeth to bite into an apple,and the peelings are bad for my diverticulosis, so I peel and cut in bite sized pieces…..no more of the "good old days" in my diet.

Time to dress and get out for a walk…see y'all later.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is an overcast morning but we are headed up to 73º this afternoon so will be a nice day.  I have been to Aldi's to replenish several items including our vegetable supply.  I have decided to pass on my Monday noon meeting as just don't have the energy.  I do have a couple of chores that need to be done in the kitchen like grating cheese.  I also need to go around the outside and inside of the house with my bug spray as we are getting some ants in the house.  Scott has today off and I just talked to him.  They will be out later today and he plans on fixing the evening meal.

Amy, that was probably a red bud tree blooming.  We have those and the dogwood already starting to bloom.  It appears we had no damage from two colder nights as don't think it got down to freezing. 

deAngel, you will find the Mexican Train easy to learn.  Pat learned how to play Mahjong several years ago but didn't play for long.  We are enjoying getting to know our granddaughter as an adult. 

Joy, we used to play Mexican Train with six people and it is a lot of fun.  Just when you think you have a good play someone else messes it up.  Good memories of times past as one of the ladies has passed away and the other lady has dementia and we moved away.  Having a good time and laughing is what it is all about. 

June, did you ever use the Golden Cream of Mushroom soup in your cooking?  It really improves the look of the dish even if the flavor is the same as the regular Cream of Mushroom.

Mary Ann, like you I have never smoked one cigarette.  My Dad and Grandfather smoked and I never liked the smell or the mess it makes.  My Dad stopped "cold turkey" right after his Father died of lung cancer.  Unfortunately, both of my children smoked and our Son still does as does our Granddaughter.  I was so glad when they decided to not allow smoking in the work place. 

Patricia, as I write I see your weather box shows it is -36º at 7:30 am. 

Mary Ann, glad to see your note that Sun is still posting somewhere.  It seems a long time since she posted here.

Shirley, interesting story about your mother's eating and finally being able to eat Wendy's chili, which is pretty spicy.  I haven't had any of it for a long time.

Gloria, the Golden Delicious was my Grandfather's favorite and is one that Pat likes better than the red.  I find them too mellow and usually not crisp like a good Red Delicious is or should be. 

Jeanne, glad you have a heat source and that your church has such a program to help out where needed.  Hope you can get the replacement items you mentioned from the grant for home repairs. 

I had a software update from Microsoft last night and my computer kept crashing this morning. I turned it completely off after I got home from Aldi's and so far so good.  It has cooperated since I turned it off and back on so hopefully it is OK now. 

angelface555

I was reading some quotes in Baba Mail from George Carlin, who was one of my favorite comedians. One of them was " Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?"

The only apples I don't care for are the green ones. I usually buy a bag of apples and a bag of oranges each month along with various other fruits. What I can't seem to find anymore are the Winesap apples. They were so good with strong cheeses, crackers, and grapes.

Now we are at minus 37 and seem to be dropping just as we're showing daylight.

Denver

Yippee :balloons:

I just watched Ms Ellen get her ears pierced!  She did fabulous..... sure is done differently than when I had mine done at age 35! 

Thank you, Grandma Callie for letting us know to watch! 
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

CallieOK

Joy

Just getting around here.  I was up early, but started reading and a nap  always happens when I start to read.  I just have such a hard time waking up.  I am not a morning person, and it always is  a real problem trying to wake up.

I was hoping to see that Joan was feeling lots better today.  But, she did manage to  have breakfast for us all.

Joan,  do hope that you are feeling better.

Calllie, I also saw  Ellen on the show.   It didn't come on in my area until 10, also.  I had changed to the right channel after the Today show, but, as I mentioned above,  the zzz's came on.  I saw the beginning of the show, but fell asleep.  I only  dozed for a few minutes, but I was so worried when I woke up, that I had missed her segment.  BUT, I didn't.   She was great and didn't appear nervous at all.   I am sure that was due to being used to being in front of people during the shows she has been in.  She sure is pretty and I loved her choice of the earrings.

I also saw the recipe for the butternut sauce with the penne.  I will have to look up  that recipe.   I love butternut squash and that looked easy to make.  My grocery store sells the butternut squash already cut into cubes, so it  would be easy.

It is way past lunchtime, so I better get something quick to eat.

Have a great afternoon.

Joy

BIG BOX

Mary Ann

It's a lovely day here today.  The sun isn't too bright and the temperature is about 55 degrees.  In the mail today was a thank you from Geoff and Charissa for the gift I sent them recently.  In the note, Charissa wrote that she still had a couple of weeks to go.  But Isaiah is already here.

I'm awash in some genealogy projects and I'm trying to work on my income tax and I don't have enough time for all of that plus my regular computing.

Dot made soup this morning and it made a lot, so she brought some here for Tom and me and it now is in the refrigerator.

Patricia, I'll find Tom's e-mail to me and forward it to you.  It will have to be resized as it is too large for my screen and I haven't taken the time to make it smaller.

When making my bed this morning, Kendrick decided he wanted to be under the flap that goes over the pillows.  I held it up and he got in the space and slept there for a while.  What a Krazy Kat!

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

Did you know we have a new photo challenge?  HERE

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

angelface555

http://www.techlicious.com/guide/cool-alexa-enabled-products/?utm_source=Techlicious+List&utm_campaign=329b8c42e6-techliciousdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5ee95b0b14-329b8c42e6-189559261

The above link is for Carol and while I have yet to check out the free Alexa app on my Kindle Fire 8, I'm interested in the Guess watch with Alexa embedded. The majority of the products won't be available until later on in the year. Ford is even coming out with a car that includes Alexa and there is a robot vac as well.

CallieOK

Thanks for the kind words about Miss Ellen.  (Lindancer, I saw yours over in the Bait & Tackle forum).

Her mom and I picked up signs that she was nervous but that was probably due more to getting stuck with a sharp pointed object than from being on the show.  She seemed to be having fun.  The lady who did the piercing was a physician's assistant and called it "minor surgery".  Certainly was different from "the old way"!

Lloyd Hammond

Jeanne Lee
You  are correct and the older we get the harder it is to do for our selves.
I am old and slow now,but I wish i were closer to you I bet i could fix lot of your
problems no charge. god be with you. good you have the church that has helpers for some of what you can not do, c u later;

Lloyd

Gloria

CALLIE  you are making me jealous with the Cardinals and Blue jays  Have not seen any since I moved here. I had so many beautiful birds at my feeders. I forgot to turn on RR this afternoon so missed seeing your granddaughter, darn.

JEANNE LEE  hope they got your heat running. You could freeze to death with no heat that long.

PATRICIA     THAT WAS ONLY 1 1/2 HOURS SLEEP. like you a sleeping pill keeps me awake.

HAL  when I got the blemished apples from my son at times there would be the red delicious apples but they were ok mixed with the others for applesauce.
It was cold here but at last the wind was calm.

JANE  nothing like home made baked beans.

JENNY  scuba diving is fun, We used to do that so very many years ago.

JUNE  I have to cut an apple too, now, I do not peel it, a lot of nutrients in the peels. Only time I peeled them was for a pie or a crisp.

LARRY  a fresh picked golden delicious is hare and juicy and a bit on the tart side. Longer on the trees and they get sweeter.

PATRICIA  I was reading that about George Carlin this afternoon. I get Baba mail too, have for at lest a year now.

I really just popped in tonight to let you know I will not be here in the morning. An early appointment for an ultrasound. Since  I changed doctors this one is having so many different things checked that the last 2 doctors knew nothing about. With them it was 20 years of asking questions and getting no where. Going to get to bed now and hope I get to sleep. I even set my alarm.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

I may post later tomorrow as will have to leave the house a little after 8:30 as have an appointment with a podiatrist at 9:15. 

JaneS

Back when my girls were young teens, they wanted to get their ears pierce and I told them they had to talk to Dr. Joe before getting it done because I'd heard of so many getting infected.  Cathy was the first and I think she was 13.  Dr. Joe told her that he didn't see anything wrong with having pierced ears but that he would do it for her.  He told her what kind of earrings to get and sent her home to think about it for a week and then call him.  She did both and he subsequently pierced ears for all three girls.  No infections!  Dr. Joe was one of my favorite people.  He understood PEOPLE!  And my kids adored him. 

I'm going to wish Good Night to Everyfriend and may God bless us every one.

June Drabek

Gloria, I only peel my apple because of the darn diverticulosis..can't eat my baked potato skin anymore either, and I always enjoyed that slathered with butter. I used to have a wonderful diet…FOOD, all kinds, and lots of it.

Time to get ready bed and book now. Nothing important from here to report on, just a nice quiet, peaceful day. Tomorrow will be a bit busier with two programs. I pray you all had a peaceful day, and a day of healing for our dear Bis/Joan. I had fun looking at old photos of former Sr. Netters…..the good old days.

Goodnight to you dear Janie.

I send you all Love, Prayers, and Hugs. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Vanilla-Jackie

Guess around in my early - mid 30s we had a craze going on in UK of having two or three ear piercings, well I already had one which was done in my mid teens so, like most I had mine done twice more at separate intervals, and at one time wore two pairs of stud earrings and one pair of rings in the lower pierced hole...Of course it was a fad that soon died a death, and now all but the lower hole has closed up...

If I remember my daughter had two ear piercings, one before her teens, and one during her young teens...She was allowed to wear one pair of earrings during school time, but two was not allowed..and then it was only a tiny pair of studs they accepted as part of their school uniform, and definitely no other jewellery was allowed...same as when I was at school, otherwise we faced the wrath of the headmistress...
" There is no present like the time "