Random Image

Sunrise2

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:43:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

Weather Around the World

Started by RAMMEL, April 03, 2016, 10:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Sunny Dorset ( South West UK ) has just had its first flurry of snow this year...a mixture of sleet and rain..this wont settle...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

From CNN

"About 250 million people -- 77% of the continental US population -- face below-freezing temperatures this week. But this isn't just a typical January cold snap. These are some of the coldest temperatures we've seen in a generation, caused by the polar vortex paying us a visit. If you're 25 or younger, "you've never felt this cold before," CNN meteorologist Tom Sater said. In the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes, temps will plunge to 20-40 degrees below zero. Wind chills will be even worse: 35-60 below (here's how to protect yourself,  https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/weather/wind-chill-explainer-wxc-trnd/index.html?utm_source=CNN+Five+Things&utm_campaign=4070111835-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_29_08_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6da287d761-4070111835-87090417). There will be blizzard conditions in some places, too. Snow is even forecast for Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. More than 3,400 flights have been canceled. The weather has already killed two people, in Minnesota and Illinois."

Mary Ann

I probably didn't realize this cold is a record-setting cold.  I just hope that peoples' furnaces hold up.  I do recall going to work in -20 degree weather.  Fortunately, one of my co-workers picked up my neighbor and me so we did not have to stand on the corner waiting for the bus. 

Looking at the closures on TV, Ottawa County MI was not the only nearby county to have a lot of closures - so did Kent County (where I live) - and actually all the counties that were mentioned.  The closures are from this afternoon through Wednesday and I have an idea tomorrow will see additional closures. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Just turned 7.pm and " sunny " Dorset is now having snow, the snow now is settling...good we went to my dentist today and not tomorrow....

Vanilla-Jackie

UK is in the throws of Storm Gareth,  which Met Office says is battering Britain...Been very strong winds all through the night, time now is 8.am, been up an hour or two already...
We dont live in bricks and mortar now so feel the vibrations more...

Mary Ann

Jackie, I'm happy to report that our section of the US is bright and sunny.  When I rolled  out of bed about 8 am, our temperature was 13F degrees and is now around 35 degrees.  I'll take it.  We are not windy today but often do have winds.  Hang on to your hats!

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

All winter long we complain about the cold and snow. Then suddenly we have a heat problem. After tonight we are not predicted to go below 70 for a week. We've been up to 90 every day lately. We used to see this as August weather. I say it's the windmills (bird whackers) making this happen.

Bring back Spring and Fall.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

In other words, it's fewer birds that are causing the problem?  Just kidding!

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Well. ---- I guess we are the only ones having weather (I know that's not true).  It's been around 30º for a couple of days but it has been leaving frozen rain/sleet on everything. My boxwood bushes in front are now one solid ice bush. Icicles hanging from wires have caused many down wires locally. Sunday should get us above freezing.  Extra feeding for our local wildlife.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, we've been fortunate in that we haven't had a lot of snow.  We don't have a lot of ice, maybe except in March when we have had some doozys.  I like it best when I don't have to wear boots, however, I know our day will come.  It is 18 degrees now.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

We are having what we consider cold weather. 😊  it got down to 30 degrees during the night.  Right now it is 1:40 central time and the temp is 57 degrees.  Next week is supposed to be warm in the high 60s.  Christmas Day is supposed to be around 70 degrees.

Mary Ann

Jean, we started out this morning at 16-18 degrees and at 4 pm it is 33 degrees.  I think by Christmas Day we will be in the low 40s.  I know 30 degrees is very low for you but I remember a friend who wintered near Orlando would tell about covering his plants occasionally. 

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Still below freezing here and the ice is still on everything. The sun did melt some of it but then we got a dusting of snow. Still Sunday for 32°+
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

FlaJean

Rammel, it was 65 here this afternoon.  Felt great!!!  I know all about those cold wintry days.  Had plenty of them when we lived in Maryland, and funny thing, I didn't really mind it too much.  We moved to Florida because my husband (an Ohio boy) said he was sick of snow and cold.

Mary Ann, it is supposed to get to 70degrees here on Christmas Day.  I'll think of all you northerners up there in the cold.  But as long as there is heat, you won't mind, will you.  I do miss seeing the snow falling and it looks so beautiful when it is new and white.

Mary Ann

Jean, I really don't care what the temperature is on Christmas Day because I'll be inside where it should be cozy and warm.  I don't even want a fireplace.  Of course, I don't want a power outage, either.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

It is going to be hot hot hot today here in UK...temps in my part of the country ( UK ) are going to reach 31, all day....I dont take well to heat and no fresh air breeze....and i am going to be taken out for a couple of hours to our church Parish nurse commissioning service held at another one of our local churches...It was only two days ago she was at my home visiting me for one hour about my issues...so she was very happy to know i shall be taken there and attending it...

I see no one has posted in here for over two years...

Vanilla-Jackie

Not looking forwards to next Monday and Tuesday as our weather is topping 39 C / 102 F
..in UK our Summers  rarely touch the 80's

RAMMEL

Looks like no one else knows this discussion exists.

Jackie, - keep cool as you can. Don't forget water.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...yes, placed a supermarket order this morning which included bottles of water, they have been selling out fast...Got one desk-top - floor oscillating fan, with another more powerful, more expensive one soon to be home delivered today, i ordered and paid for a next day delivery...best to be prepared..

Edited: my part of UK is now showing as 40 C - 104 F for Monday and Tuesday..

Vanilla-Jackie

We have gone from amber warning alert to red warning alert for my area...

Red warning of extreme heat

Starts: 00:00 BST on Mon 18 JulyEnds: 23:59 BST on Tue 19 July
An exceptional hot spell on Monday and Tuesday leading to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.

- Population-wide adverse health effects experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
- Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required
- High risk of failure of heat-sensitive systems and equipment, potentially leading to localised loss of power and other essential services, such as water or mobile phone services
- Significantly more people visiting coastal areas, lakes and rivers, leading to an increased risk of water safety incidents
- Delays on roads and road closures, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays

Issued at: 10:28 BST on Fri 15 July

Shirley

Jackie, we had 103 today from one weather report, but each reporter likes to believe what their corner of the city shows!  Hot & like you, I don't handle heat, had my first heat stroke at 18 so try to stay in air conditioning & fear power outages. Much rather layer on winter coats than battle the heat.

One thing that I learned before the houses had AC was to freeze blocks of ice (in loaf pans or something large) put the ice in a flatter pan that is deep enough to hold the water as it melts & sit it in front of the fan.  The other tip is if you start feeling sick at your stomach, run cold water in the bath tub & chill your feet.... works for me.

Hi, Rick! Warm up your way?  Our 10 day forecast shows NO cool down at all so I'm watering all I can (well water) but everything has that wilted look. Looks like mid to late August with brown grass & sad trees. My oldest grandson (45) tested positive for Covid a 3rd time... had all the vacs & boosted... Big surge with the latest version.

Take care. Stay out of the sun.

Vanilla-Jackie

Shirley...
...i will heed your advice and tips, as you know this is not our usual for UK and most dont have nor ever need a/c cooling just electric floor or desk-top fans...They are saying this will be our first ever of reaching this top figure...this will be our record...Yes, power outages is a concern...Yesterday i took in an order for an electric 12 speed fan, a next day delivery, ( glad i have it ) and today it is showing out of stock...

https://www.johnlewis.com/meaco-meacofan-1056-air-circulator-white/p3641063

RAMMEL

Shirley - It has been hot around here too. But I don't think as bad as it has been in other parts of the country (and world). We've been hovering around upper 80s to lower 90s. It has NOT been dropping at night, with temps staying above 70.  Like you, I don't do heat. A/C has been running continually. I don't see much change showing on our local weather predictions.  Should be a nice electric bill this Month.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK