Random Image

Mimi last Christmas

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Mary Ann and Jean - I think we were all posting at approximately the same time.  I hate that, because then I miss posts, and I know that people often miss mine also.  What I've been doing to make sure I see everyone's messages, is to always go to the Forum page, and scroll down to the list of,  Recent Posts.  There is usually one that is right before or right after mine, that I missed, so I either take note so I can respond later, or get back right away to respond.  Well - it's not the end of the world, but it does make me feel bad to miss posts, or to have someone not see what I specifically addressed to them.

Jean - The fact that you're interested in doing the art is what counts. Even if you feel that you have no natural talent, if it's a fun hobby for you, then you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Mary Ann - Good for you, "breaking out the shorts"!  It matters not how old we are, comfort is most important!  I have some old shorts, as well as some pedal-pushers, and mid-calf skirts that I wear when the weather turns hot!  I wouldn't wear the shorts out to a restaurant or shopping, but I do wear the other cooler items.  That said - I do see plenty of "old ladies" wearing shorts at the grocery stores, and when I have occasion to go to a beach town, like Santa Cruz, you see older men and women all over the place in shorts - including the restaurants.

Denver

Good morning💐💐 

Thinking about GLORIA de, as this is the time of her funeral.   I wish I had a way to pop in there and tell her family how important she was to all of us.  Just think of all the neighbors that will miss her too?

LARRY, happy to read that your and Scott's outing to the credit union went well.  Even if you did have to swing by home to retrieve the bad😻😻  I am so happy for you that you about have your "man cave" set up so perfectly for your needs now.  Sweet.  I, too, had to laugh at your description of the commode that Hospice delivered for your use.....it sounds like you definitely could us a different on to meet yours, and most everyone else's needs! 

JEAN, I bet you can still have fun with the pencil on your device!  I do not have one bit of anything artistic in me either, but I do like to doodle!  Have you seen the video that shows one using a fork dipped in ink that they can draw and make letters?  It looks so easy, and neat, but I doubt that I could even do that🤣

MARILYNE, I think our family will like the Sacramento area, but they do love the Central Coast a lot and for sure will miss it. A cousin of mine has just relocated to Sacto and it will be nice for them and for Mark to have some family in the area.  The cousin lived there before a few years back before coming home to Colorado, and they have always desired to go back....they love it there. 

Must get my self moving.....it is beautiful out but the rain is coming and I want to get my errands run before it gets too bad.

Have a great day everyone. 

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Tom and I just returned from the bank.  Paying for the lunch yesterday took all of my money here.  I asked Tom for $10 back and he didn't have it then.  I now have money in my purse and my hide-a-way (ha!) and Tom's $10, so I am set for a while.  We stopped at Mc D's on the way home.  Tom had not eaten and I had, so he got a hamburger and I got a vanilla shake.  I'll be OK until later today, maybe around 7 or 8 pm. 

I ate my lunch on the deck and it was delightful out there.  The sun was on my legs, but not above my knees and I was very comfortable.  There was a nice breeze from the East which made it very nice, but my dad always said that an East wind brought bad weather, so we will see what is in store the next few days.

Jean, I don't drink much milk; I just don't care for it that much.  But I do enjoy a bowl of cereal in the morning and I seldom have it because we don't always get milk.  In fact, I have Tom buy it because if I order it online, the person packing out list will grab the nearest milk and that will have a "use date" of tomorrow.  I need one further back. 

Marilyn, I have been known to go to the store or a restaurant wearing shorts.  I see women who look much worse than I do, especially when they wear the knit shorts that ride up on them.  I don't wear those at any time.

I don't know enough about California to know about different areas.  As you may remember, my first time to CA was in December 2014 and we were busy all of the time. 

I am watching golf now and the players are those who are familiar.  I don't know where they are playing, however, as I haven't paid attention.  Now, if Gloria de was here, she'd tell me because she usually watched the golf too. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It is now 5 am and still very dark outside.  We did have a much cooler day here yesterday and some rain on and off with some heavy rains nearby.  By midday we have a good chance of getting more rain.

It was a very strange day and night last night.  The nurse was here around noon and after seeing my feet and legs got hold of the doctor and they put me on 60 mg of Lasik and boy did it work.  I am to keep my feet up about the height of my head.  Throughout the rest of the afternoon, evening and until 3 am when I got up to do my email and message boards I made many trips to the bathroom, about 30 minutes apart.  I also could go back to sleep, even if for such a brief time.  I did feel rested when I got an now here at my desk I apparently fell asleep sitting in my wheelchair.  I don't remember ever going to sleep at my desk nor being able to do so in my easy chair.  I guess things are now well under control or they are completed that I can truly relax, which I plan on doing all weekend. I know of nothing else on the agenda for the weekend and that is just the way I want it, although sure wouldn't turn away a friend from the door.  Pat needs a couple of days of rest as well.

Marilyne, since we all are seniors who are active here we all have or likely will experience things like having to use potty chairs and various medical equipment and we understand what others may be experiencing.  I had been obsessing about a blood pressure monitor I had bought and then discovered it really worked no better that what I already had available so I wanted to return it for a refund (same as with the sandals I couldn't wear).  After thinking about this for awhile I realized how silly I was being worrying about this so just put the blood pressure monitor on the shelf and Scott is now wearing the sandals.  I don't have time to worry about such small and unimportant things.   

Jean, I am thankful for the potty contraption as some of the toilets today are so low to the floor that it isn't easy for a younger person to get up from them.  We had a tall one put in our bathroom in Georgia and we had the one changed to a handicapped one when we moved to South Carolina.  Unfortunately the builder picked out the lower rather than higher handicapped unit.  I have never tried the special pencil with the iPad and don't expect to. I also have no artistic talent.  Did you get caught up in the coloring for adults phase a while ago.  Pat did and now she has books and colored pencils, etc, that are never used.  Have you ever tried the almond milk? Pat has started using it and it seems to work well.

Jenny, I really wasn't making use of the urinal that they provided and, like a lot of other things, it takes me a while to realize how to make the best use of the aid that are provided.  It is nice that Mark will have some family members already relocated to the city Mark and family are moving.  I did cash a sizable check so we have cash on hand when needed.  Why do we care what others may be thinking of us.  We have no control over other's thoughts and do we really care much about what others may be wearing? Food for thought? 

Joy

Good morning to all the friends in the "tackle  shop".

It is a pretty sunny morning, but very chilly. ALmost feels like turning the heat on.  Such crazy weather.  I don't think the 'real" summer will ever show up.

Larry, I did reply to you over in the Soda Shoppe.  I hope you will have a good Saturday. Yesterday I did absolutely nothing.  Hope today will be a more productive day.

I have had my breakfast, so need to get the kitchen cleaned up and get dressed.  I sure hope I will be able to sit outside for a little bit today.

I hope everyone will have a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Good morning Larry, Joy and everyone else who wanders in.  It's a beautiful day in Grand Rapids.

Larry, I was thinking that with the loss of water, you could wear the sandals, but I see you gave them to Scott.  My feelings are that if someone can get some benefit from something, it doesn't matter who bought them.  I also feel that as long as I think I am doing right, I don't care what others think. 

I got up about 4 am and stayed up an hour doing some computing.  I was unable to sleep which is the reason I got up.  I was able to go back to bed about 5 am and slept until 7 am, got up to go to the bathroom, was going to shower then and decided to go back to bed where I slept almost another hour.  I had the company of Kendrick and I think he slept better than I did.  I finally got out of bed at 8:45, showered and washed my hair and here I am, mostly awake.

It is already 68 degrees at 9:30 and I am sure we'll get up to 80 degreess today.  Last night I had the air going for a while; I was very comfortable. 

Larry, I have used one of those high toilets and I think I'd need a low one if necessary.  My feet did not touch the floor. 

Dot just bought a new couch because she had a hard time getting out of her other couch.  She would sink down in the cushion and have trouble getting up.  She loves the new one. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Good morning to everyone.  It's almost 9:00 already,  so I'm getting a late start this morning.  Since there is nothing on the agenda today, it really doesn't matter what time it is, so I'll just take it easy and try to forget staying with a schedule.  Old habits die hard. ::)   

Larry - Lasix, works wonders!  I'm so glad that the nurse came yesterday, and took immediate action when she saw your swollen legs and feet!  It sounds like you had a mixed up sleep pattern, but probably due to the medication.  Sounds like things are back to normal this morning. (The"new normal")  Glad that Scott could use your sandals, even though they probably would fit you okay, now that the swelling in your feel has gone down. 

It's difficult to get shoes to fit when you order online, but fortunately, there are a couple of websites that have a huge selection of styles and sizes, and will cheerfully take returns. My favorite is Zappos, although I have also ordered from Orthofeet, (Orthofit?), and of course, Amazon.  The last pair from Ortho, were too tight, but I kept them and plan to give them to my older daughter, when she comes at the end of the month.  She has a lot of knee and hip problems, so there is a chance that these shoes will be comfortable for her?

Mary Ann - The "shorts on seniors", discussion is interesting, and I've been thinking about it off and on since yesterday.  It seems that it's commonplace with men.  AJ wears those cargo shorts, starting about in April, and on through October.   The majority of senior men here in California, wear them, and the younger men like my son and grandson, wear them almost year around.  You don't see nearly as many older women in shorts, but I think it's because women have the option of skirts, to wear when the weather is hot and humid.  Skirts are really very cool and comfortable.   In tropical areas like Florida, Southern CA, or Hawaii, you see everyone of all ages in shorts, year around.  Anyway, I'll be digging out my shorts today, as the temps are going to soar up into the 90's, with the dreaded off-shore winds coming from an Easterly direction.

Joy - Hope you get a chance to sit outside, and soak up some Summer weather. I have the same problem as you, in that I always hope to have a productive day, and then I'm disappointed when I accomplish nothing. :(   Well, I guess we can tell ourselves that we accomplished plenty in our 85 years, so we deserve to sit around and observe nature, or the passing parade of people!  :)

Mary Ann

Marilyn, it was good to see a post from you because every time I checked, there was nothing new.  I began to wonder where was everyone and with Gloria De gone, there is one less to post.

It is already 80 degrees here at 12 noon.  I've finished the puzzle I do every day and I've watched for ships.  I think I saw where Paul is to arrive in Duluth this morning and I'll check when I finish here.

I have my shorts on and I'm bound to be comfortable.  This is a case of where I don't care what others think as long as I'm properly dressed, no tight shorts or top and the shorts are near my knees.  I like the cargo shorts men wear and I wouldn't be surprised if mine are not men's shorts.  I bought them in Florida a few years ago and the waist is way too big for me.  I did not come to the conclusion that they may be men's shorts until after I got home.  I bought them in the women's department.

I've ordered Hush Puppies shoes online, also Grasshoppers, but usually have not ordered more.  I haven't worn dress shoes for years, not even to church.  Hush Puppies come from Rockford MI, about 5-6 miles north of us, but I ordered my last ones from Amazon using James' Prime. 

Tom is gone for a while and said he'd bring milk back with him.  He may not get back soon enough for my breakfast, but I'll have cereal sometime today.

I just put away my clean folded clothes and Kendrick is on my bed now.  He wanted to help me put the clothes away, but the drawer was a bit far for him to reach!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

It rained here all night and will continue off and on all weekend, I guess.  We had about a two or three hour window of good weather yesterday evening so we managed to get to the library and grocery store without being in the rain.  We have had many beautiful sunny days so we can use the rain.  The weather map shows some angry looking storms coming out of the Gulf.

Larry, I bought some almond milk a couple of months ago and it tasted terrible to me.  I ended up throwing it away.  I found that a milk called "Lactaid" Is regular milk that has been treated to destroy the lactose.  It is a little sweeter and has a much longer shelf life.  I'm not going into the science—-Google is very good at explaining it.  I have never cared for milk and didn't realize I was allergic until I started drinking a lot of milk to fortify myself with calcium.  Anyway as we grow older we become more allergic to lactose, according to the medical profession.  Probably way too much info. 😳

Mary Ann, one of the first things I do when shopping is check the expiration date on an item.  I guess it is too much to ask when an employee is filling an order.  Their supervisor would probably complain and tell them to be faster at their job.  Maybe Tom could make a special stop every couple of weeks to get you your 1% milk.  My husband drinks whole milk but our daughter loves 1% milk and drinks a lot of milk.  I also drink whole milk but it is lactose free, although 1% would probably be healthier.

Good to hear that Dot  bought herself a comfortable couch.  When we moved here, the only new furniture we bought were two comfortable chairs for us.  We had a much larger house in Ocala and gave much of our furniture away to someone who could use it and needed it.  I also have a comfortable chair in the bedroom for those times when one of us is not feeling well.  It came in handy when our daughter, husband and two dogs stayed with us for a week when they were getting flooring installed throughout their house.  I'm an introvert and do have to have a certain amount of peace and quiet.

Joy, nice to see your post.  Hope everyone has a nice day.  Marilyne, you are probably posting so I will say hello to you from a rainy Florida.

angelface555

Good morning from a cloudy Interior! We are back into the mid-seventies but have continued to have evening rain squalls with rolling thunder and no lightning. I'm really wishing for a warm hot summer after three rainy summers but it will be what it will be.

Farrah is continuing to be a diva. She not only expects to lay where the keyboard goes but now if she sleeps between me and the wall on my bed, she will look at my pillow and then at me and back to the pillow until I move it out of her way. Dora has said that Alan and I baby our cats but she is the one who sniffles during Duchess's daily insulin treatments and when she's watching TV you can't see her for all the cats on her lap!

Today I have three food box deliveries and then I need to go downtown for another phone card and extra storage for my kindle. I went out on the third and was almost crippled the following day so I know I need to be more active and it will help with arthritis. It is very hard to find exercises online for seniors with limited mobility. I haven't worn shorts since childhood. I'm not sure when I last wore a dress either. I'm more comfortable in jeans or slacks.

Mary Ann

Jean, the only reason I want milk is for cereal.  I can barely get away with a quart in a week, so I have cereal nearly every day when I have milk.  I do take calcium daily so my milk is not for that.  I sometimes give the cat a little milk, but I think he is not fond of it so it isn't a big thing. 

Dot contributed her old couch to a Thrift Store nearby.  Knowing her, it is in perfect condition.  I had my couch reupholstered a few years ago and paid an enormous amount to have it done (my fault as I made the decision) and I still cannot justify getting rid of it.  It is a bit too long for the space I have it in.  Other than the original cover, I've had it covered three times and I only paid $200 for it on sale!  My dad was still living when I bought it so it is over 50 years old. 

The people who fill our grocery order really do a good job.  I've been satisfied with the produce they've selected and when they would give us large baking potatoes, in a place for remarks, I put "small" and any time we order potatoes, the "small" is there.  The gal told Tom one time that what we got was the smallest she could find.  So she tried.  I have an idea if I put something about the due date on the list, they would accommodate our request. 

Outside my window, it is 86 degrees and it isn't quite hot enough inside to turn on the air. 

Patricia, Kendrick does not sleep on the pillows but he does sleep at the bottom edge of one.  At night he curls up between my hip and knee and he stays there about a half hour.  He can sleep better than I can!  Kendrick is not a lap cat so I don't have that to contend with - or enjoy!

I'd love to have your 70-degree weather because I would not have to turn on the a/c and I could have the doors open.  The slider is open now and I'm not sure about the other.  I have not been in the kitchen since early morning and Tom left after that. 

With two posts this morning, I've exceeded my limit.  But I will return!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Received my first monthly ( I am assuming this was a monthly ) Solicitors itemised statement of what she has so far done and her time and her expenses, also informing me that as from beginning this month her hourly rate plus VAT has now gone up, I think Solicitor charges are extortionate but what can one do, at this time, one needs one, I just want her to get on with what she is to be doing, the sooner this is over and done with the better as far as I am concerned...They are certainly going to eat into Richards hard earn't money...

Marilyne...
...I have never had the legs to wear a pair of shorts, so I would be very out of place if I lived in Florida...

Mary Ann...
... I have had a trusted pair of TEVA leather sandals that have kept me going for several years, I too think my pair are the mens sandals but they have velcro fastening heel and over the top velcro adjusting straps and toes, with my MS i cant seem to wear anything else through summer but I will soon need to replace them as the velcro is coming away from the leather...as for the soles, they are like rubber marked tyres, they grip the ground...They are not cheap but have lasted me some years so a good buy really...I even wear them with a nice dress or skirt...
" There is no present like the time "

CallieOK

Good Saturday, Bait and Tacklers,

Finally, a day when I don't expect any "surprises"!  Of course, I didn't expect any on Thursday and Friday, either but...."The best laid plans of mice, men and Callie.....(well, you probably know the rest of that saying)!"

My son was coming for dinner on Thursday and I had invited a friend to come for lunch on Friday.  So I planned a "kitchen day" for Thursday to prepare for both meals.
Menu for Thursday night was a small pork loin in the crock pot, corn and microwaveable packages of Bob Evans brand potatoes and cinnamon apples.
Menu for Friday was a "banana split salad" and applesauce muffins. (Directions for salad to follow  :) ) She was bringing dessert.
As I was heating my bedtime mug of milk on Wednesday night.....the microwave power went out.  However, when I got up Thursday morning, it was back on.  I reset everything and left it alone. 
I called a couple of appliance repair places that advertise microwave oven repair and had to leave messages.  They had not returned my calls by the time I needed to do the potatoes and apples and it worked okay for both.  However, it went out again at bedtime. This time, it did not come back on.

Didn't need it for Friday lunch and Plan A was to get up, do my morning routine as usual and then put the salad plates together and bake the muffins.
Turned on my cell phone to find a message from other son (a landscape designer for a local landscaping company) that he and a crew were on their way to redo a flower bed in my back yard (I'd been on the list for a couple of months). I didn't need to supervise but did need to get dressed and check on things. 
Of course, son was in and out during the hour it took to complete the work so I was more rushed than I wanted to be to get things tidied up and ready before guest arrived.
Then - as friend and I were yakking away, the doorbell rang - and there was the guy who sprays for mosquitoes!  I thought he was coming "this weekend" so had to stop and write his check.

I did ask son to unplug the microwave - to avoid problems in case it's a short of some kind. Probably be Monday before I hear from either appliance place but I can manage.

So far <she said with fingers crossed>, there have been no interruptions and I am managing to "leisurely" get some other things done.

...and that's what's going on in my little corner of the world.    :zen:

Oh - directions for "banana split salad".   If possible, use a banana split dish.  Otherwise, on a plate, place two leaves of Romaine lettuce (the long kind) Slice half a banana lengthwise and place on lettuce.  Between the banana slices, put 1/4 cup(or slightly smaller) scoops of 3 kinds of salad mixture ( like scoops of ice cream).  I used chicken salad, pasta salad and ham salad - all purchased from deli (can also use potato salad and tuna/shrimp/crab, etc. salad).  Sprinkle with blueberries and chopped strawberries. If desired, drizzle with a bit of Poppyseed or French salad dressing.

Mary Ann

Callie, you certainly have had surprising days!  It sounds like activities on both days kept you on your toes.  I'm happy I don't have days like that.  Having Tom here helps because if there are surprises, he can take care of them!  I hope your microwave can be repaired; in had to be replaced; that was the one I put a partially baked potato in it and set it for too many minutes, probably on high.  The potato caught fire and all I could do was laugh because I had done it myself.

Jackie, take things a day at a time and things will go easier for you.  I am sure there are lots of things that will be closed off soon so you can put those expenses behind you.  I have a trust which should take care of much, but I am sure Tom will have plenty of expenses after I'm gone.  I've tried to leave Tom enough money for those extras but if it isn't, Tom will have to rearrange things.  He could be in for some surprises as we haven't gone over my trust or will het.  I've tried, but he has so much going on that there never is time.

I just had my breakfast (or brunch).  I asked him to go to Family Fare for some skim milk, one quart.  When I looked in the refrigerator, there was 2% milk, not only that - a half gallon.  I have enough trouble trying to get rid of one quart, let alone two, but I'm not going to say anything. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm watching the Duluth Harbor where Paul is leaving, heading to the canal and out to Lake Superior.  It is 4:26 pm.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Paul got out of there in a hurry! I saw your post and was on the Duluth canal camera at 4:29,  He was nowhere in sight.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Too late . . . I missed Paul again, both coming and going!  Last night I saw on the schedule that he would be arriving at 1:15 AM, which would be 11:15 here.  So I decided I would stay awake and watch, since it wasn't particularly late for me.  But I guess I was more tired than I thought, because around 10:30, I fell asleep, and didn't wake up until past midnight, and he was long gone. The last time I saw Paul, was on the Marine City cam, about a week or so ago.  He was on camera for a long time, so I got a good look.  I guess he will show up there again in a couple of days?

Jean - Like you, I've never been a milk drinker, even as a child.  Now, I'm pretty sure that I'm lactose intolerant, because I have had some problems after eating most dairy products. However, I still put 1% milk in my coffee, and neither yogurt or Kefir, seems to bother me at all. I do occasionally buy a half pint or pint of buttermilk, and I haven't had any problems with that either. However, I can't eat ice cream at all.  I do buy almond milk ice cream or soy ice cream, quite often, and I like them both.

Jackie - Actually, I've never been to Florida, so I don't have first hand knowledge of what the woman wear - but have seen many pictures showing Senior Communities there, and the women all seem to be wearing shorts.  Also I watch lots of HGTV programming showing beach cities along both coasts there, and seems that everyone is in shorts, year around!  My son and his wife, both wear the Teva sandals, and love them. The sandals I bought from Orthofeet, are similar to Teva, in that they're adjustable with Velcro straps all around. 

Callie - Looks like you've been busy with all sorts of social activities, as well as cooking lots of good sounding food.  Thanks for including the recipe for the Banana Split Salad!   What a great idea for a company lunch.  I plan to try it out here, the next time my daughter and granddaughter come for a visit, which will be in another couple of weeks.  Sounds delicious!

Mary Ann

I'll try to post when I find out about Paul in the future.  I think I just happened to be there at the right time.  I haven't had much luck with the Duluth harbors because most arrivals or departures seem to be later in the day or the next day or so.  I'd like to see some activity at Silver Bay because that is such an interesting marina. 

Today at Marine City, there was quite a bit of activity, one ship following another. 

Regarding the milk, Tom did not go to either Family Fare or Meijer and we know the gas stations don't carry quarts let alone skim milk.  I did ask him specifically to go to either of those stores.  So I'll be drinking 2% milk! 

At nearly 8 pm the sun is still shining on my deck but I think I'll put on my dark glasses and sit on the deck. 

I learned something today reading the "chat" under the Marine City cam.  I had figured the fishermen were after walleye and that probably is why they sit high or stand - to get better leverage if they catch a fish.  I learned the limit is 6 per person per day and the minimum size is 13" long.  I know when I've ordered walleye it is more expensive than other fish. 

I notice they're doing a good job on replacing the catwalk at Grand Haven.  I am sure this is only the first part and there will be much more to do before people can walk on it.  I won't try, but I'll bet Tom will.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Tomereader, what a bummer. I hope you heal up quickly.

Marilyne, I don't order shoes online; they never fit me right. I was looking at the Orthofeet and the Aetrex sites yesterday. What I really want to do first is see a podiatrist before I spend big bucks on shoes. There are several authorized Orthofeet dealers in our area, though I am not familiar with them. I can get Aetrex from Irving's Shoe Fly. For the life of me I cannot imagine why, years ago, they changed their name to include "Shoe Fly". Oh, and George has warned me about those Memory Foam insoles, so I did a little research on Google. There are, of course, pros and cons. Some people can use them fine, but others end up with more leg and foot pain. Also, the stuff does eventually break down and lose it's cushioning effect. The main recommendation is to buy shoes with removable inserts.

The other day I watched some old YouTube videos of the interior of the Paul. Very interesting. The accommodations look rather luxurious. I didn't hear how many crew the ship or how long each shift is, but they crew the ship 30 to 60 days at a time.

Sue and I made it to the Boiling Springs Tavern for the June Welsh Society meeting. Expensive place. I spent $41 including tip. The menu choices for lunch are not extensive and the sandwich choices do not include fries or chips. No sides are offered other than what comes with the lunch entrees. I was not impressed with the Asian Chicken Salad I had. Now the big pluses: Kono coffee (though it wasn't as strong as I remember it), the Polenta appetizer was delicious (first I ever had Polenta), and real honest-to-god Key Lime Pie. I managed to down 3 cups of the Kono. We just joined the group this year and already Sue has volunteered to take on Secretary duties. I asked about a newsletter, but all they send out are the general meeting and director's meet minutes and announcements of illness and death. Very occasionally, there will be something about the dinner meetings or the National Welsh Festival. The answer to my question was that there wasn't anything to write about. Huh? What, no human interest, history, or book reviews pertaining to Wales? I might work up something for them that can be sent bi-annually or quarterly.

Shan is being a little blister. Sure enough, I just checked the time and my posting is encroaching on his evening playtime.

MarsGal

I was typing while you were Mary Ann. I missed all the activity at Marine City today. The other day I did actually see three ships on the river at the same time. That was pretty neat. Also, I saw my first sail boat on the river, but it was going upriver, under power with sails furled, and a small Canadian Coast Guard cutter.

Mary Ann

Kendrick and I spent about half to 3/4 of an hour on the deck as it is so nice out.  The temperature is 75 degrees.  I have some plants out on the deck and I've got to remember to water them soon, like tomorrow.  Robin waters them when she's here, but that is only once a week.

MarsGal that must be disappointing to have the food so bland for your Welsh meeting.  I think you enjoy the group otherwise, at least after a couple of meetings.  Tom fixed some barbecue chicken in the Instant Pot tonight, along with some cauliflower that he mashed like potatoes and some frozen vegetables.  It made a nice dinner.  The Instant Pot does a good job on chicken. 

Mary Ann

Beverly

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days........So many things I'd like to comment on.

One is shorts. Yes, women wear shorts most of the time in Florida. Our winters can be cold so then I wear long pants or capri pants. For church I wear dress pants and a nice top. Men wear shorts all year round (Chape wears the cargo shorts), but for church, etc. he wears long pants. I haven't worn a dress or skirt for years, except for my granddaughter's wedding. And then I wore the same dress I wore for another granddaughter's wedding 10 years earlier!  :) It hadn't gone out of style, was the right color and had my daughter's approval!

I am and always have been a milk drinker. JEAN, I switched to Lactaid many years ago when I realized lactose was a problem for me.

Larry - I'm enjoying your posts. You have such a good outlook and attitude about everything. I told Chape we could all learn a lesson from you.

Yesterday I went out to lunch with a good friend. We went to TooJays. I had something I like but seldom get, a liverwurst sandwich. Also a bowl of tomato dill soup....very good.

Chape has switched to an IPhone and also got me one, so they're compatible. It will take awhile for me to get used to it. If it were my choice I'd still have my little flip-phone. I know I'll like "Facetime" on this one because it gives me a chance to talk face to face with my great-grands. The youngest is three.

I spent a lot of time on the phone today with calls from family. Today was my birthday.......81 years old! I know I have a ways to catch up to some of you.  ;)

Time for bed.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on what will probably be another really rainy but cooler day here in South Carolina.  Our high today is to be 82 with 100% chance of Thunderstorms around 7 pm this evening with still high chances throughout the rest of the day.  I have no plans of getting outside the house today so unless we lose power I really won't be impacted.  Yesterday afternoon around 5 pm the company that provides the medical equipment was here to deliver a claw footed cane for me to use (and it really helps assure I have good balance before taking another step.)  It was pouring rain here when he called a few minutes earlier but by the time the man got here to deliver the cane it had stopped.  He told me it had been a rough day making deliveries as he rain into many flooded roads around this area.

I had a great Facetime call yesterday from a man I have long known and we worked together over the years.  We recalled old memories and am sure we will be talking fairly often.  The Facetime is really good.  I do hope to get to speak with my best friend over in Grayson later today as it has been several days.  I spent the day just working on small projects, writing a letter to mail ( :o who doesn't have a computer) and writing several emails.  I reworked the medicine sheet we use with my pill boxes to record all the info from the medicine bottles.  I take a lot of medicine but after some manipulations I finally got every thing to print on one sheet. I did get the new sandals I had ordered but feet still to swollen to be able to adjust the straps but am hopeful that Scott can put in another hole closer to the end of the strap.

Addition: Since I posted in the Christian Photographers discussion earlier this morning I have been busy doing some things that I know will help Pat out today.  It is really amazing how much some things are to do sitting in a wheelchair (not that I would recommended that anyone do that before they need it).  I was able to take my nice size wicker basket and sit it on my lap and unload the dryer.  Most of the things were mind anyway.  I leave the hang  up clothes to Pat.  Then I went into the kitchen and unloaded the dishwasher, again at wheelchair height.  I set everything out on top of the counter and then stand up and put it away in the upper cabinets or wherever it needs to go.  I then got the trash ready for today, including from my bathroom and here under my desk.  Finally I fixed and ate my breakfast.  What great satisfaction to be strong enough today to do these small things to help my wife as most of these are painful to her back and feet.  We are both looking forward to a quiet day although having a friend drop in would not be discouraged.  Now the rest of the day and evening I can rest and work on some detailed projects I am doing getting all of the info in my contacts in my iPhone for my Sunday School class so I will recognize calls from them if they call.  Right now I am sitting here enjoying some good Christian music, generally Southern Gospel.  Just how good can life be!

Joy, if you were in South Carolina the last few days you would have no doubt that summer will show up.  No need to reply to me in both discussions as I always read each one, usually starting with the B&T and ending with the Soda Shoppe.

Mary Ann, I got the adjustable strap sandals yesterday afternoon and still cannot get them on my feet but hope that Scott can get an eyelet punched close to the end of the strap and then they will fasten. If Scott couldn't have worn the first pair then I certainly would have given them to our Community Ministries (when I finally thought things through).  Glad that Dot got a new couch that is firmer and makes it easier to get up out of.  Fortunately our couch is fairly firm.  Even when I could I sometimes had a hard time getting up from a soft couch or chair.  My easy chair is a bit difficult getting out of but hope I won't need to get a lift chair as the easy chair is all leather and in very good shape.  In my mind you have the right attitude about not caring what others think because of how you dress.  We make an assumption that others really care and that is very questionable and then even if they do it isn't any of their business as long as you are properly dressed.  People go out looking very inappropriately dressed but that really isn't my business. 

Jean, it sounds like we are in for very similar weather for a few days.  Pat likes the almond milk.  However, she did find out not to try to freeze it as that didn't work at all and she had to throw it out when it thawed.  She likes it because some of it need not be refrigerated until opened and it seems our refrigerator is always packed.  I think I may be a bit lactose intolerant as my nose always runs when I eat ice cream or happen to have milk on something. I always tried to check expiration dates when I was able to actually go and shop.  However, I know the stocker always push the older product to the front of the line so my choice is usually from the back as it will likely have a later use by date.

Patricia, what a change in Farrah you have seen since you got her.  You took her from a bad situation to have a happy home and a great companion for you.  Pat hasn't owned a dress for many years.  Why not be comfortable in what we wear as I am being wearing sweat pants all the time, something I never even owned before.

Jackie, how thoughtful of your Solicitor to raise here prices.  We don't have to deal with VAT over here just a lot of taxes, sometimes taxes on taxes.  Like your sandals sometimes the prices we pay seem large but when you consider how long and how much wear they have given you it puts things in perspective. I had just gotten a new pair of shoes, expensive for me at the specialty shoe store where Pat has been getting her shoes, and then my feet started swelling and I can't now wear them but hope to in the future as they are very comfortable.

Callie, we like the Bob Evans potatoes and cinnamon apples as well.  It sounds like time to treat yourself to a new microwave.  Is your built in over your range?  For a long time we used a small one that sat on the counter and it worked well.  I just bet your guest wouldn't have cared if you were all tidied up or not as they were coming to see you and not inspect your house.  (I know it is a women thing and men don't see things quite the same way.  Just this morning I took the decorative towels out of my bathroom and put on the rack what we use for the showers on Tuesday and Thursdays.  I believe in practical.  Pat can decorate her bathroom however she wants.)  Great idea to use ice cream as your salad mixture.  Have you ever put a scoop of ice cream on a waffle instead of syrup or other topping.  It is so tasty and lite tasting.  Your recipe does sound good. 

Mary Ann, one of my major concerns now is to be sure to do all I can to reduce our risk in the stock market where possible and to get things arranged so that if Pat gets where she isn't able to get out and attend to business Scott will be on all the accounts and can take care of business for her.  While Pat doesn't always agree with me as she is not a trusting person and I am, she usually will listen to me and go along with what I propose.  Our son is not going to steal from us and I have complete trust in him, something he recently told me met so much to him when I told him that.  It will all be his one day anyway if not needed to take care of Pat and assure she has a nice place to live and enjoy the rest of her life.  I know she will stay in this house as long as possible and now there are a lot of services that help a person do just that.  As I mentioned I am arranging security and a way to have dead bolt locks on the front door that are opened by the entry of a certain key code. Scott sat with us at the lawyer and I have shared every detail of our business affairs with him.  I still have somethings laid out to go over in detail with both
Scott and Pat but have it pretty well written down.

MarsGal, Pat's feet are in such bad shape that she has little choice but to buy her shoes at the specialty store and that is where I got my last pair. Scott is on his feet many hours a day at his job and was having a terrible time until he discovered the Dr. Shoal's gel packs and they really do the trick for him. Well worth the $50 or so they cost.  That does sound like an expensive place your Welch Society met but it was a special occasion and nothing wrong with treating ourselves to a special day. 

Beverly, I hope you and Chape really enjoy your iPhones.  I am happy I made the decision a few years ago to get the iPhone.  I had thought the iPhone 6 would be my last iPhone but I might just change my mind and one day bite the bullet and get the more expensive one but I want it to be the size of the one I have now.  I am still planning on writing you about something that is on my mind but now we might do a Facetime.  You have my number and I will let you call me.  Otherwise I will try to get an email off to you. 

Marilyne, it is just my nature to do things on a sort of schedule.  I just like to plan and carry out my plan.  Pat, on the other hand is just the opposite and gets bored doing the same thing the same way over and over.  Lasix is working and I take it at noon so have some break in the morning from it working as hard.  My problem is that it drives the blood pressure down and mine is already pretty low all the time.  I don't mind the new sleep pattern and don't seem to have any problem of falling back asleep.  My feet are still very swollen so have a long ways to go.  I wasn't using clear thinking to buy sandals that didn't have adjustable straps.  These are inexpensive sandals so not much invested. I haven't worn outer shorts for years and years as am pretty cold natured.  The men here in South Carolina also wear the cargo shorts it seems all the year round.  I see you are due for some pretty hot weather out your way.

Mary Ann

Dot and I got to our homes about 12:15 pm after being at church, then going to Mr Burger for our usual.  When I pay, it is the usual but when Dot pays, she may opt for olive burgers, but usually it is the usual.  We both like the Tuna Melts.  It has been raining lightly so far today and I don't know what the forecast is.

Larry, I wish Tom would take the time to sit with me to go over my investments. I now have some of them paying dividends directly to me and others are reinvested.  I think before long, I'll try to have all of the dividends sent directly to me, then the ones that Tom keeps after my death will pay him directly and he'll have kind of regular income, not ever month and some months more than others.  He is going to start Social Security this year when he turns 62.  My investments have been very good to me!

Norm bought a lift chair some time before he died and before he went to Pilgrim Manor and it sits in Dot's living room.  It is an awkward looking chair and Tom often sits there when we go for a meal. 

I take a diuretic along with my BP medicine and I have no idea what it does to the BP.  It is not Lasix and my need is not for Lasix.  It doesn't send me to the bathroom every half hour, in fact, I don't notice any difference.

Tom hasn't come home from church yet and I seldom know if he's coming home or going elsewhere.  I don't have to know, but it would be nice if I did!

As soon as I posted this, Tom came home.  He goes to a Baptist church and does not follow other churches, so Pentecost didn't mean a thing to him.  We had a lot of red in church. 

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

I opened the blinds this morning to find pouring wind-driven rain and that the side of a tree across the street had split off and fallen across their neighbors yard.  It was blocking the front door.
I didn't hear it fall but I'm a sound sleeper and my hearing is poor so I may have heard it, thought it was thunder - and gone back to sleep.

Fortunately, there was no structural damage and another neighbor and the owner have already sawed and placed the branches at the edge of the street.  I think the city will pick them up but who knows when that will be.

Weather gurus were busy when I turned on the t.v. and skies still looked ominous.  I decided not to go to church even though weather was moving on southeast.  Sun is trying to shine now and it's lots cooler because front moved through from the north.
I did watch a service from an OKC Presbyterian church on t.v. 

Larry, there is no ice cream in the banana split salad dish.  It's fruit and 3 kinds of salads made with mayo the usual way put together to look like a banana split.
Good idea about the waffles. Might put those on the grocery list for tomorrow and use the left over berries on a "home-made" one. Don't keep ice cream on hand but do have Cool Whip.   Thanks for the suggestion.

No, the friend wouldn't have minded but I would have.  I certainly don't try to present a "show house" but do like to at least have the bed made and no dirty dishes on the kitchen counter - which is in line of vision from eating area.

Yes, the microwave is over the range.  It replaced the original 4 years ago.  Apparently not all appliance repair places have microwaves on their "we repair" list so we shall see if I have to buy a new one. 

Some new e-books have appeared in my loans and there are some t.v. shows that look interesting.  Think Ill be a "recliner radish" for the rest of the day.

Smiles and hugs to all.....

Marilyne

Looks like a slow start here this morning, but I think Sunday's are always slower than other days in S&F.

Beverly - A belated Happy Birthday, to you.  I hope you had a nice day yesterday?  I did the same thing you did, as far as wearing the same dress to my two niece's weddings, about three years apart.  My thinking was that no one was going to notice this old lady, when there were going to be a few much younger generations there, plus the wedding party.  Wrong! :laff:  My cousins teased me, and even my sister-in-law, (mother of the bride), noticed and laughed about it. It was all in good natured fun, and I laughed and commented that I had momentarily forgotten, that a person cannot get away with anything in this family! LOL  ::)

Mary Ann - Every Sunday, I enjoy your Tuna Melt, right along with you!  Also the cream pie.  Do they have lemon cream or lemon meringue? Either of those would be my favorites. 

Larry -I enjoyed reading your nice long message this morning. Good to see that you have learned quickly, how to maneuver your wheel chair around the house and get a lot of chores done.  I can see that it would be just the right height for emptying the dryer or the dishwasher. Do your new sandals have the velcro adjustable straps?  Those are much for comfortable and easier to adjust than the old buckle style. 

Jenny - I hope we hear from you today, that your dad is improving, and that Michele has finished with this round of chemo, and is over the bad reactions?         

Callie - I just saw your post, and wish you would send some of that rain in my direction!  We are already starting with the wildfires!  As soon the prevailing winds shift from S/W to East, we are in big trouble again.  Especially since there will be no rain until October or November.

Amy

:hb2:  :hb3: Happy Belated birthday Beverly, hope you had a special day. :hb3:  :hb2:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Beverly, I hope you had a nice birthday.  I wanted to wait until after church before I answered anything, but forgot about it.  We have a TooJays here, but it is spelled differently and is a liquor store.  I think it is TwoJs - or something similar. 

Dot and I always enjoy our Tuna Melts.  Marilyn, they do have lemon meringue pie but I'm not sure about lemon cream.  I love lemon meringue, but I think I prefer the cream pies now.  If Dot would bring the lemon meringue, I would not object, in fact, I'd probably lick my chops!  I am watching golf now but I'll have to keep my eye on the time because a new USS ship (USS Billings) went under the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron and I want to see it again at Marine City.  There were many vehicles in Port Huron, so many that they were double parked and many vehicles parked in the lot at the Blue Water Convention Center. 

Callie, we had some rain too overnight, but nothing like yours sounded like.  Neither Dot nor I wore raincoats today and did not carry an umbrella.  The sun is not shining but I think the rain has quit.

I still have the same dress I wore when I stood up with Norm and Dot in 1993, in fact, I had it for an anniversary dinner for the founding of DAR in 1990.  I think I've lost a few pounds since then, however, my memory on weight doesn't go back that far.  Why buy new when you don't wear them anymore? 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...your feet swelling is what I suffered, I assumed it was part and parcel of my MS, the lack of walking as I once knew walking to be...Not so bad now, not sure if it was me losing 18 lbs of weight after the loss of my Richard ( which I haven't gained but I am better for the weight loss anyway ) or the drinking of tap water, or the changing over to decaffeinated tea bags but my feet and ankles are looking more like feet and ankles now, they were horrible not too long back, my right foot was the puffier-the fatter one of the two..this is why I prefer an adjusting velcro straps sandals....My ankles now are a lot slimmer as is over the tops of my feet...although both tops of feet do show a lot of tiny blue veins, so still look pretty ugly..

Larry...try an Epsom Salts foot soak ( it reduces the swellings )...that might help bring some swelling down..You can fill up a plastic bowl or if you have an electric spa bath, I have a " Scholl " foot bath... when turned on the water bubbles or vibrates, depending on which setting you use...but I have not needed to use it for some time...It doesnt matter whether you soak one foot at a time or both together...

Oh is somebody celebrating a Birthday? Beverly sending Birthday Wishes your way...   

" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

I've watched quite a few ships this afternoon, on the different cams. The Marine City cam showed some good shots of a Canadian ship, that just said Canada Steamship Lines, on the side, and Whitefish Bay on the back.  Then I went to the NYC cam, and watched a departing cruise ship called, The Norwegian Star. I love it when the camera pans up really close to the cruise ships, and you can see the passengers standing on their balconies, or walking on the decks.  At The Soo, I watched a ship that was just leaving, but I couldn't read the name?  The marine map tells me that it was one of the Canadian Algoma ships.  The Marine Map also shows that Paul, is getting close to The Soo, and will soon be entering the locks.