Random Image

switzerland

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Anne.....done...Re: Thoughts for the Month ~ July

www.christianphotographers.com/community/thoughts-for-the-week/thoughts-for-the-month-~-july/msg197804/?topicseen#msg197804

...so sad to read this about our Larry Hanna...

...I have copied and posted your message onto the Christian Photographers site, so far Larry had not been in to post this message on there, so I have done it for him......

" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, thanks for posting Larry's message.  What I got from the message was that he would not be posting unless he felt like it and right now he does not feel like it.

It's 4:25 am here and I couldn't sleep so got up to see if there was a message from you.  I knew my posting was too late for you last night.

We'll continue to be concerned.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.

I am just marking my place and saying Good morning to everyone.

I am feeling better and want to try to get myself moving a little bit today.  I have not done much of anything for a few days. So,  I think I am getting better.  Have some things I need to get done today. 

I am sorry to read the message from Larry.  I really admire him for his courage and determination these past few weeks.  I feel bad for his family, as I am sure it is very difficult to watch him decline so quickly. He is a very strong person and a good friend to all of us.

Wishing all the friends here in the Bait Shop a wonderful day.  Hope you all will be able to stay COOL.  So much of the country are in such a bad heat wave. Even tho I do like the hot weather, I do not like it when it hits above 100ยบ.

I will try to return later.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

I'm sorry to see that Larry, is not doing well. He has bounced back so many times over this past year, and I'm hoping that will happen again.
Mary Ann and Jackie - I'm glad that Larry has contacted both of you in the past couple of days, so you can keep us informed.   

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy...
...yes, I totally agree, Larry Hanna has been a good and loyal friend to us, even to me from across the pond ( UK )...I would be so sad if this was to be his last postings..we shall live in hope..

FlaJean

Joy, I am glad you are feeling better.  This week is flying by.  I hope you have the opportunity to have those steamed crabs soon.

Mary Ann, i think you will probably need a couple of naps before the day is over after getting up during the night.

Sure do miss Larry Hannah's posts and just pray that he is comfortable and not anxious.  When my mother was in Hospice care at home, we had to give her anti-anxiety medicine to help her relax even 'tho she did get morphine.

Marilyne, are you also having this 90 degree weather?  Last evening around 7 pm, Larry went out to water the flowers and yard.  We seem to get plenty of rain, but it soaks right in as the soil is sandy.  We have a pump but the underground watering system doesn't work properly so he just uses the pump water for the occasional needed watering.  He actually enjoys going out and watering as he doesn't do much yard work anymore.  We've both always done a lot of yard work and had vegetable gardens but getting too old for doing much labor anymore.  I did go out deadhead a few plants and it was real pleasant (although humid) with a little breeze.

Jackie, I'm still sending good thoughts your way and think of you often.

Our daughter is having a tooth problem and wouldn't you know, there is only one dentist that her health insurance accepts and she has to wait a month for an appointment for an aching tooth, a cavity and needing a root canal.  Another dentist said the cost would be several thousands of dollars without her insurance so she has no choice but to wait.  Such is life.  In the meantime it is salt water rinses.

Have a good day everyone.

CallieOK

Thanks for sharing Larry's information. It sounds as if he is getting the medical care he needs/wants and is surrounded by loving family providing lots of TLC.

All well in central Oklahoma.  Hot and humid! 

Yesterday I went to a book club meeting/luncheon.  Lots of lively conversation about the "Beach Books" we're each reading this summer.  Discussion of a book we'll all read will begin at the September meeting.
Then I enjoyed more conversation with my neighbor on her patio after the sun had gone down behind the trees.  It was a bit beyond warm but there was a nice breeze.
A very lovely day.

Last night, I caught Paul going past Trudy and Michopoten (I think) in Duluth Harbor.  Also saw lots of sailboats in the distance on the lake at Port Huron.  Finally figured out where Bay City is geographically in relation to Port Huron.  If I can't fine a webcam showing boats, I can use Marine Traffic to figure out which "sailing vessels" are there.

Have been to podiatrist for a toenail trim this morning.  Now in for the rest of the day....and probably several more.
I plan to try and catch up with some reading and continue getting acquainted with my new computer.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

:hugs:

Marilyne

Jean  -  No, we aren't suffering with the excessive heat here in CA, that the rest of you are enduring right now.  It seems like the West Coast, usually has the opposite of whatever weather is happening in the East, or Midwest.  We have had a cooling trend this week, which means that in the Northern coastal cities like San Francisco, Monterey, etc., the daytime temps are in the 60's . . . but inland, where I live, they have been mostly in the low to mid 80's.  Tolerable, as long as there is a breeze blowing, which there is!  Our oppressive heat, usually comes in August and September.

This afternoon I have an appointment with my ENT doctor, which I dread!   He has to look at my vocal cords, with one of those lighted thingies that goes through the nose and down the throat! :yikes:  Not painful, but very uncomfortable.  I've had it done many times, so I know what to expect- but still, it's an unpleasant way to spend the afternoon.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...yes i too have had the through the nostril camera twice...wasn't so bad on one of them, as he gave me a good spray first, but not so much the other occasion...both were done at a privately paid hospital not on the NHS...

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm glad someone is having a cooling breeze, however, I have found when I go out on the deck about 8:15 or so, the sun is down behind a building up the hill and there is a slight breeze going past me.  Even Kendrick seems comfortable.  Sometimes he doesn't even want to come in with me.

Callie, I'm glad you saw Paul last night.  I think he/she was going to enter the Duluth harbor about 11 pm my time and that was later than I wanted so I missed the ship. 

It's been warm here, although my thermometer reads 80 degrees.  I could sit outside if I wanted, but we are or were under a severe storm warning with high winds.  Tom was in Holland and called me to see if I'd take the cushions on the deck furniture inside.  We already had one cushion go over the railing a couple of weeks ago.  We had a thunder clap so loud even Kendrick raised his head; usually he ignores storms.

I understand there is a cam for Alaska, new, not the Juneau one that I know of, but I have not found it.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I'm surprised that I made the last post at 2:35 pm yesterday afternoon and there is none after that.

Reading the Chat for Port Huron last night, I saw where there would be fireworks so I watched them.  They lasted 15 minutes.  They are having a festival in PH and last night was Family Night, hence the fireworks.

Jan's father died yesterday (Terry's FIL); he had not been well for some time so it was not unexpected.  We are concerned about Jan's mother, whether or not she will realize her husband is gone or wonder where he is.  Jan says you can tell her mother how to do a thing and she will do it but an hour later she has forgotten all about it.  Jan has help from her family and she will do OK.

At 10 am, it is already over 80 degrees.  I do remember previous hot days but it seems the heat is starting earlier in the day than it used to.  I'd fight starting the a/c in the morning, wanting to wait until after noon.  I heard the fan go on this morning at 6:30.  Even with the Peak Program, I'll have a big electric bill this month, I know.

This is my second time around because I got up at 6:30 and was up for about 1 1/2 hours then went back to bed.  I have a fan blowing in my bedroom and Kendrick likes to lie on my bed where he can get the cool breeze from the fan.  He's no dummy!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Now a little after 7:00, but I've been up since about 6:00.  Today will be a long one for us.  AJ has to have a colonoscopy, so we'll be leaving here in about an hour.  There is always a long wait now, for any procedure, so I don't expect to be back home for quite a while. We'll probably be gone all morning. 

Mary Ann - Sorry about Jan's father.  I remember you saying before, that he has been ill for a long time. I hope her mother understands, and handles it okay.

I heard from Larry last night on Facebook. Just a short note, but he seemed to be doing okay.  I hope he posts here today.

FlaJean

It is very quiet here today.  I was just outside to trim my hibiscus where the limbs were touching the house.   I fertilized them a couple of days ago and there are lots of blooms.  We planted 11 dwarf azaleas earlier in the spring and in looking them over one did not look like an azalea.  I took a picture and according to an app on my phone it is a dwarf mock orange Bush (Pittosporum).  It was stuck in with the azaleas and we never even noticed.

Mary Ann, I believe you said earlier that Jan's sister who works in Alaska is visiting?  If, that should be a big help to Jan.

My daughter has one of those dog doors off the back closed in porch.  She called while ago in a panic, one of the little dogs brought in a dead rat.  Larry had to go over and dispose of it.  I could understand her feelings as I know I would be yelling "Larry"!

Marilyne, I didn't realize they still did colonoscopies after you were in your 8os.  I trust everything goes well.  I know it will be very tiring day for both of you.  I've never had a colonoscopy as no one in our family has a history of colon cancer.  My husband Larry had two brothers who died with colon cancer in their 70s, so he has had several but not in the last couple of years.

I hope Larry Hannah is resting peacefully.  I'm sure he and Pat are thankful they made the move to be close to his son.

I haven't been keeping up with the web cams at the right times and haven't seen any ships lately.  I have been busy reading

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Mary Ann

Jean, Jan's sister, Liane, is here and it was my understanding she was taking a sabbatical for one year to help Jan with their parents.  Liane has two more years (I think) to teach in Alaska then she can retire with a pension.  With her dad gone, it is possible she'll return to get the two years over with.  I only hear stuff and what I hear changes occasionally. 

Marilyn, best wishes for AJ and his colonoscopy.  I have not had one and haven't had any symptoms requiring one.                     

Patricia/Angelface hasn't checked in for several days.  I hope the smoke hasn't gotten to her. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, StreamLive cam for Lake Hood, Anchorage, AK sea plane base: https://streamtimelive.com/lake-hood/ Yesterday it wasn't listed on their current cams page. Today it is. I like it here because it is easier to switch from cam to cam.

You can also see it on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3fDDNZ95I

Hollyhock, the US Coast Guard Buoy Tender was out this morning when I was. I got back just in time to see her come back in and dock - ever so slowly.

YouTube's tall ships page: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bay+City+tall+ships+2019

This year's Tall Ships Challenge Race Series - Great Lakes 2019. Map, port call schedule and pix of the challenge participants. https://www.tallshipschallenge.com/

MarsGal

Darn, I forgot about the fireworks at Port Huron.

Sorry to here about Jan's Dad, Mary Ann.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, thanks for all of the links to the Bay City Tall Ships.  I bookmarked all of them, also the Alaska site.  I don't know how I'll ever find time to do anything other than watch ships all day!  Ha!

The fireworks were better (my opinion) than what they had a Algonac recently.  They lasted only 15 minutes.  They didn't start until 10:15 pm and I wondered if they'd ever start, but they did.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, I tried finding the fireworks on YouTube. It is there, along with the one at Algonac. Unfortunately, it looks like someone might have used their cell phone to record them.When they were posted, the person(s) who posted them didn't flip them sideways so I have cock my head sideways to see them right. I'll have to look at them on my tablet later. That I can flip and not get a kink in my neck.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, if you want to go to that extent, OK, but the fireworks weren't so spectacular enough that I would have made the effort.  I'm glad I saw them "live".

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Johann...wishing you a VERY HAPPY AND ENJOYABLE BIRTHDAY...

MarsGal

Groan, just what I needed - another live cam. Boatnerd has their Port Huron River Cam back up and running.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lePSuyXxJag This one is set atop the big white building (I think) at the bend of the river. It looks back at the bridge and swings downriver past the chemical plants. It is not a smooth cam like LiveStream but now we can see into the little alcoves at the bend and follow the ships a little farther downriver. I think they need to oil the mechanism that swings the camera. It is 5:48am and Evans Spirit is just now heading downriver under the bridge.

I must go check on George's cats this morning, so I am likely to miss a lot of the race start today. 

Adendum: BoatNerd's cam is in test mode, so there will be adjustments, including, a new microphone.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, thanks for the Boatnerd link.  I have enough St Clair River links, I think, to keep me busy all day.  It isn't that I do anything anyway, but now it is possible to do even less!  Just kidding!  You're right, the mechanism does need oiling.  It is an interesting view as you get a different perspective.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Marsgal, Thanks for the Port Huron cam link. I've wondered what was around that bend. Glad we can see the bridge; gives a good perspective of location. I've  added it to my list of sites to check every day.

Wonder what these sites would think if they knew "ladies of a certain age" all over the country are watching and discussing ships coming and going?  ;) ?

"Later"....
Marilyne,  I also hope things went well for AJ yesterday.  I had my first colonoscopy when I was 75 ( because of a digestive issue). Diagnosis and advice were "Figure out what bothers you and don't eat it". That was easy....except the main thing is raw vegrtables.  (Try dealing with that in these days of big salads for every meal.).
Then she said  We'll see you in 10 years.....Oh, wait....we don't do colonoscopies for people over 80".  Probably the only reason I was glad to get past that birthday!

Jean,  my hydrangea hasn't bloomed at all this year.....just gets larger with leaves.  The 4 hostas in the same bed are gorgeous and I enjoy watching bees and butterflies feeding on them... as well as an occasional hummingbird that wanders over from that feeder.

FlaJean

Thanks, Marsgal, for that link.  I think when they get the kinks out it will be a good site.

It is a little overcast here and cooler today.  The weather map shows a lot of rain and stormy weather coming our way from the Gulf.  Maybe I'll be able to spend a little more webcam watching today.

Marilyne, I hope everything went well for your husband yesterday and that you got a good rest last night after such a long tiring day.

Have a good day everyone.

Joy

Good morning.  Just making a quick stop here.

I think I am feeling a little better. Didn't have a good night, but it is always nice to see the sun come up.  I have had breakfast and had a shower, so I need to go get myself dressed for the day. 

I am been trying to make something with some apples that need using up, so hopefully, today I can get around to that.

It is going to be another hot day here,  Thankfully, I don't have to go anywhere. Even too hot to sit outside during the day.  Some of the ladies do sit out after the sun goes down. Usually there is a little breeze.

I have only been checking the Duluth canal camera, and have not caught sight of any of the big ships for a long time. Most of the other cams tell me that my browser does not work on their cams.  I am not sure just how to go about getting another browser and I keep forgetting to ask my son how to do that.  I am not good with making changes. Always afraid I will mess something up. 

I was hoping to see something from Larry.  He has really been on my mind, 

I just wanted to say Good Morning and make an appearance.  Hope everyone will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I keep getting a message that the app doesn't work on my PC but whatever it is, it does work.  For how long, I have no idea.  Maybe some day they'll tell me I have to get an app.  I don't understand them at all.  I'm fortunate that Tom does know and when the time comes, I'll turn it over to him.  He's a Mac man and prefers not to get too involved in PCs, however, for his aunt, he will.  I don't offer his services to others, such as Dot.  Her son is very knowledgeable but he lives in Tennessee.  Big help!

I've enjoyed the Boatnerd site, too.  But I was annoyed this morning when I wanted to see the name of a ship and the camera kept going all over the place and did not stay long enough for me to see anything. 

Joy, do you have the Harbor Lookout for the Duluth canals?  That gives you the times they expect ships to depart or arrive - and they change the times at the drop of a hat.    If you would like any site, tell me and I 'll forward what I have.  Whether or not it works, I don't know; they do work on my computer.

It's warm here as everywhere but my a/c is working.  The cat likes it inside too.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

My lunch today was rather unsatisfactory.  For a snack, I've been buying something named P3 which consists of a meat, cheese and nuts.  What I had today was in a box of three and I don't know if they're all alike or varied.  Anyway, today I had beef jerky, sunflower seeds and peanuts.  It turned out the peanuts were chipotle peanuts and my lips are still smarting.  I won't purposely buy that combo, but if I have more in what I bought, I'll eat it.  Only next time I will know what to expect.  I may finish up the coffee ice cream now to compensate.

Watching the golf in Northern Ireland (The Open), all of the players are wearing jackets or sweatshirts, so it must be cool there.

We had a storm overnight with a thunder clap so loud the cat jumped  up onto my bed hoping to get away from the noise.  The storm probably is over by the St Clair River by now.

Mary Ann 

CallieOK

There was almost a fleet of sail boats and accompanying motor boats coming along the Port Huron harbor this morning...at the same time as a big tanker.  Harbor patrol was busy keeping sailboats on the other side of the buoys from the tanker. They're on the lake now and more are going under the bridge.

Project du Jour is Desk Work.  "Stop playing with the boats and get busy. Callie"  :knuppel2:

Marilyne

Jean and Mary Ann - True, that colonoscopies are not recommended for people after age 80 . . .  but  because they saw something suspicious on AJ's petscan last week, he had to have one. 

About 12 years ago, he was diagnosed with Lymphoma, and was treated at that time, with three rounds of chemotherapy. The treatment was successful, and after that, he was checked three times a year, then twice, and now is on a once a year routine that includes a petscan.  This time, the scan showed something on the colon, and also one lymph node in the neck.  So then they launch into the biopsy's - which he had yesterday.  He'll find out next week what the next step will be.  He feels good,  has no symptoms, and has lost no weight, so that's a good sign.   Today he was planning to mow the lawn, and other outside jobs, but I'm going to talk him out of it!   Even though the written instructions after a colonoscopy say that you can resume your normal activities the following day, I think that at age almost 85, (September), he should be taking it easy at least through today.

I'm having a hard time finding the cam with the tall ships, and would appreciate someone posting it again?  The Port Huron cam I have, apparently is  no good, because nothing comes up when I click on it?   This is my only Port Huron cam   http://porthuroncam.com