Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior! May I say that in my nineteen years of belonging to SeniorNet and the newer variations, that this is the very first time I've opened the discussion. My post is echoing!

I had spinal meningitis shortly after birth amid a polio epidemic and iron lung shortage. I had various fevers that burnt out nerves and other necessary muscle parts. In a more modern era, I might have had little to no lasting effects. It is what it is.

I worked for forty-nine years with only a three-month break due to being a military wife. Other than sometimes poor coordination, thick glasses,(modern ones are much thinner!), and multiple eye surgeries, I look like everyone else. So, I have spent my entire life being suspect. I understand precisely was meant by people thinking and saying "they've" used the system.

angelface555

"Game Over; These Monkeys Just Crushed Humans on a Computer Game
By Nicoletta Lanese - Staff Writer

While playing a game, monkeys switched strategies each round, while humans stuck to a set of inefficient rules.

"When it comes to winning games and solving puzzles, sometimes monkeys play smarter than humans.

Monkeys may show off their physical flexibility as they clamber over tangled tree branches, but the animals also display impressive "cognitive flexibility," or the ability to quickly change how they think about, and work to solve, a problem. Whereas monkeys can think on their feet, humans often become set in their ways and cling to inefficient strategies for problem solving, according to new research.

"We are a unique species and have various ways in which we are exceptionally different from every other creature on the planet. But we're also sometimes really dumb," study co-author Julia Watzek, a graduate student in psychology at Georgia State University, said in a statement. For the research, published Sept. 13 in the journal Scientific Reports, Watzek and her colleagues pitted capuchin and rhesus macaque monkeys against undergraduate students in a game of wits — in other words, a simple computer game. "

https://tinyurl.com/yybydxet

Mary Ann

Patricia, I read some of the monkey vs human article and it gives insight to how the apes think and do.  I often say I don't think well on my feet and maybe that's because I am not a monkey!

My breakfast this morning was the remains of what was in a cereal box (bite-sized shredded wheat).  You can guess there was plenty of shreds in the milk.  I ate as much as I wanted but a cat sat beside me almost begging for the remains.  He doesn't get much milk as we don't have it that often.  I hesitated giving him the milk with the shredded wheat in it, but I did.  He lapped up some of the milk, then left the rest.  He was in the living area when I sat down and he evidently smelled the milk and he was in here in a second.  I didn't realize he liked the milk and I will give him some plain milk later - no cereal. 

Patricia, oft times I come into B&T and find no posts.  I don't do anything interesting enough to tell about first thing in the morning so don't post.  Your first post was at 11:47 am and the second at 12:03 pm.  It is now 12:42 pm my time - that is actual, not what the computer will post.

Tom fixed scrambled eggs this morning and I had a little.  He fixes them two or three times a week but usually I have just gotten up and I'm not ready for a heavy breakfast at that time.  Tom makes good scrambled eggs, putting different veggies in them.  I'm not an "egg" person, preferring mine in egg salad sandwiches!

Maybe someone else will post soon.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

BEVERLY - I hope we hear from you today, as to how Chape  is feeling after his bone marrow biopsy?  I know he won't get the results for a while.  My husband AJ had that biopsy about 10 years ago, and as a result,  he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Donna  probably had the biopsy also, before she was diagnosed?  You do have a lot to worry about, with your daughter, son, and now Chape, with different cancers.    I know how worried you must be for all of them, especially when you also have serious health problems. 

JENNY - I'm so impressed with the Michele's brave and determined attitude!  She is one amazing woman, and an inspiration to us all.  I love those #hashtags!  She maintains her sense of humor and never loses hope, even though she is still in stage 4.   My prayers for her, is that she will continue to fight, and that she will live to see her children grow into adults!

Hello to everyone else . . .  I'll post more later.  Right now I have to get ready for appointment with my ophthalmologist, and then will accompany AJ to the VA, for his new hearing aids.   

so_P_bubble

Very interesting article, Angel. Thanks.
While on that page, I also read about the mosquitoes bite and why it itches for so long.

angelface555

Living amid a humongous forest and water everywhere you look, I'm unfortunately very familiar with mosquitos! When they bite, they secrete a substance to keep the blood flowing, and I always thought that causes the itching?

And a later good morning to Bubble, Marilyne and MaryAnn! This morning is the first time I've "opened." It was odd not to see others.

I usually eat twice a day, once between noon and two, and the last time in midevening. I do have a piece of thick grain bread when I wake up at 5-7 Am so I can take my vitamins and medication, so perhaps that constitutes breakfast?

Lunch is my main meal, and dinner is usually something light more a snack. I like either a piece of fruit of another slice of bread with a minimal amount of nut butter. At this time of year, the local honey is done until the next summer. I prefer either raw or the store honey with the included comb this time of year.

I spent the majority of my employment with late afternoon or evening shifts, which is why my meal schedule habits came about.

Mary Ann

Today started out nice, but when I went to the kitchen at noon, there were raindrops on the window.  I'm comfortable inside with the heat going on and off.

Living beside a pond, you would think we'd have mosquitoes but when I've sat outside at dusk during the summer, I haven't noticed any.  Now that it is cooler in the evening and dusk comes earlier each night, I am not spending time on the deck.  So I don't get any mosquito bites, fortunately!!!

I wanted to take a nap and went into my room and there was Kendrick spread out in the center of the bed.  I did manage to find enough room beside him and I'm not sure if I slept or not.  I saw I was there an hour, my usual nap time.  I just looked in and he's still on the bed, but he moved to one side.  I wish he had done that when I first went in.  When he's sleeping, I hate to disturb him.  Spoiled cat?

Tom is out and will pick up groceries this afternoon which is nice because I need more cereal and we are out of other things too. 

I hope everyone is enjoying their day.  I notice Joy is not here now, but she sometimes does miss a day or two - sometimes depends on how she feels, other times she is busy!

Mary Ann

Denver

Checking in while we are waiting to board our flight home tonight.

Today would have been my Mom's 92nd Birthday...And her parents 93rd Wedding Anniversary.  Yes, she was born on their FIRST anniversary.

Today we visited the Richard Nixon Presidential Library.  It was very enjoyable.  This is our 4th one we have been to.  2 Bushes, Johnson and Kennedy.  I hope to visit them all in my lifetime.

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MarsGal

Quiet in here today. It is 10:15am as I start this post.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Found this interesting article in Live Science: https://www.livescience.com/how-can-a-star-be-older-than-the-universe.html

The new cat furniture arrived on Sunday, but I haven't had a chance to put it together yet, or clean out the space where I want to put it upstairs.

I must have done something to my newest Kindle FireHD the other night, when I was a little too tired to really be playing with it. I lost connection to my Amazon books library. I can't see any book icons and when I connect to Amazon, it tells me I don't have any books and newstand magazines except for the ones that I ordered after the incident. I hadn't intended on ordering any more free reads but I needed to see if they would download. They do. Per instructions, I reset my router even though I was sure that would have not effect. It didn't. I did the "hold the button 40seconds, wait 10seconds then restart, bit as recommended in the forum. No dice. I very strongly suspect all my stuff is loaded on the tablet but I lost the connection to them. The only other thing I can think of is to reset to factory. That will clear everything out so I can start over. I do not feel like doing that just now. Odd that it just affected the books and magazine sections. I was in the book section when it all disappeared which is why I think I confused the thing somehow. A puzzler to be sure. Fortunately I only use this one as a backup for my reading while my Paperwhite is recharging. Then, I still have the computer app and my 10" KindleHD (which is the one I use for the magazines).

MarsGal

Mary Ann

Hi back at you, MarsGal.  Nothing much happening here but it is quite windy with winds  up to 50 mph at times.  I notice a lot of whitecaps on Lake Michigan.  I haven't taken the time to watch many ships.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

You haven't missed much, Mary Ann. Last evening there was a series of ships going up river and one or two going down. I didn't catch them all. The ones I miss I watch when Paul Murray puts up his drone footage on YouTube. I is usually pretty quick about it, does a nice full circle around them, and it only takes a few minutes each.

I have some housework to do once it brightens up a bit, other than that not much here either.

angelface555

Another cool but bright and sunny day predicted for the Interior.

Have you ever been completely taken back by a news piece? This morning I was reading an Atlas Obscura email when I came across a piece entitled the Alaskan Triangle.  "Thousands of People Have Mysteriously Disappeared in "Alaska's Bermuda Triangle"  Evidently my city and surroundings are almost the epicenter. So why after almost seven decades is this the first I've ever heard of it?

https://tinyurl.com/y2fumkrh

Mary Ann

Patricia, maybe someone didn't want you to know so didn't publish anything about it that you would read.  I had never heard of it, myself, but I had heard of the Bermuda Triangle. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Supposedly, widely published, but I 'm wondering where that was? I had, of course, heard of Hale Boggs, but "Alaska includes an area of more than 375 million acres, equivalent to about 570,665 square miles. With coastal waters and rivers added in, the total is more than 640,000 square miles. Alaska is the largest state in the union, being double the size of Texas, and larger than the next three biggest states combined.

That land includes world-class mountains, glaciers, and several thousand lakes and other waterways, so there are lots of wilderness areas. There are eleven known connected triangles of which the Bermuda one is connected and best known, but I hadn't heard of the one they're writing about.

Marilyne

Patricia - Interesting article! Stories like that are fascinating reading, indeed.  AJ loves programs like that on Nat Geo, History or Science channels.  He also watches the show called "Alaska State Troopers".  Those guys often come across bodies, long dead but preserved by the extreme cold.  They are sent to the coroner in the nearest city, but cannot be identified as to who they are or what happened?  Also, I would imagine that with so much water, frozen most of the time, as well as the glaciers, and heavy forests, that adventurous people get lost, freeze to death, or starve during the Winter.  Also, there would be the possibility of wild animal kills, where there would be no remains.

A gorgeous day here today.  The temperature outside is already 77 degrees at 10:30, so may get uncomfortably hot by late afternoon.  The wind is from the East, so there is very low humidity, which means the sky is a gorgeous bright blue.  Of course, the old saying, (Shakespeare?), that "An ill wind, blows no good", is maybe what this will turn out to be.  We are being told to prepare for more utility shut downs this week.  Fire danger is extreme! 

angelface555

Marilyne, Alaska State Troopers is a reality show similar to the Bering Sea Catch. "But that's been the eternal sentiment about all reality TV, really. Most Alaska residents avoid the spotlight entirely and carry on with their own unique versions of real-life in Alaska and Alaska fishing "reel life." While the perils in these Alaska TV shows aren't always 100 percent genuine."

I hope you and California stay safe from more catastrophic fires!

Joy

Hi Mary Ann !  I am still alive and well.  LOL

The past couple days have been kind of "Lost days". Not much to do and the time just flies by.

Yesterday, I did have an appointment with the plastic surgeon and she took a couple biopsy's and  I have to go back on 
November 7 to have several places taken off.  Thank goodness she can do them in her office. All the other times I had to go to the hospital out-patient part to have this kind of thing done. So, I guess these aren't as bad.  All the other times, I had just kept putting it off going.

It has been a very dreary, dark, rainy day today. A good day for napping.

I am waiting for my dinner that I ordered from the local Chinese place. I just didn't feel like fixing anything.

I ordered a couple spring rolls, some California roll sushi, and Cashew Chicken.  It will be enough for 2 meals.  it has been a long time since I have had Chinese food.

Jenny, sounds like you had a nice trip.  I have never been to any of the Presidential Libraries and I am sure they are very interesting.  I don't think there are any around my area. Wen are just about 45 min. from D.C. and we used to go there a lot when our boys were young.  Lots to see there and I am sure there are a lot of new places since we have been there. Always liked going there  as it is always something different to see.

Yes,  Beverly,  will keep your family in my thoughts. You are having a lot to deal with right now.

I just wanted to say Hi! and to make an appearance. I just don't seem to  have much to talk about as I really don't do much. I have been doing a lot of reading the past several days. I keep having to re-charge my Kindle, as I have read several good books.

Hoping my dinner will show up soon. 

Hope everyone will have nan good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I'm glad you finally showed up.  I never have much to talk about, but I manage to fill a screen with that "nothing".  It's been a rainy day here.  I wanted to have the covers put on the deck furniture today but we can't cover them when they're wet. 

Robin was here to clean etc and when she's finished, Tom gets a pizza for our supper then he and Robin go to a Bible study.  He will return about 9 pm. 

I've been working on some of Robin's genealogy, then a woman contacted me today about any pictures I might have of a common related family, however, we are not related to each other; she's related to the father and I was related to the mother.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Yesterday Chape had the bone marrow biopsy. We won't know the results for about a week. It was quite a day as I'm used to sleeping late and we had to be up by 6:00 a.m. and in Leesburg (nearly 20 miles away) by 8:00. They gave him a drug to calm and relax him and when it was time to leave he insisted on driving! I had both sets of keys so after much pleading he agreed to get into the car.  :) His computer chair  is getting old and isn't comfortable for his back so that afternoon he "just had" to go to Office Depot (over my objections) to buy a new one. Last night he went to the neighbor's to watch The Patriots football game. This morning he got up so dizzy he couldn't walk so I called his doctor and it was decided he was dehydrated. All is well tonight after some Gator-Ade and lots of water. Not always easy to deal with a very independent (his nature!) and stubborn 85 year old, but I think I'll keep him!  ;) 

On the other front, Donna has two more treatments to go. She gets them every two weeks. The first week is very hard on her but the second week she feels better.

Mary Ann - I would agree that your cat is spoiled! Kendrick is lucky to have you and animals provide a lot of companionship.

Joy - Good to see you posting. How was your lunch from the Chinese restaurant? I've never tried sushi and probably never will!

Marilyne - I feel fortunate in so many ways. I don't have a lot of pain, just the usual aches and pains of arthritis.

Patricia - Programs I've seen depicting life in Vermont usually are an exaggeration. One of my first cousins has written and published a series of books about life growing up in our part of rural Vermont. So much of it parallels my life and it's been fun reading them. 

Jenny - Thanks for sharing that peice written by Michele. It's beautiful. I can't imagine going through what she has with such young children.

I really find all your posts interesting, even though you might think you think you don't have much to add. Reading them is like sitting down with a group of friends.

It was very warm today but this afternoon we had a nice breeze. It's 76 tonight (9:00)

Joy

Just a quick good morning. I woke up and decided just to stay up. When I go back to sleep, I usually feel so groggy when I wake up the second time.

I do hope this finds everyone feeling good.  My thoughts will be with everyone who is going through a rough time.

Beverly, my thoughts will be with you and your family as you wait for test results. I can relate to those anxious times. Hoping for good news.

My Chinese dinner was delicious.  A special treat every couple months because of the high salt content.  As far as the sushi goes, so many people think of sushi being "raw fish".   And, that  really isn't so.  "Sushi" actually means "rice"  And, there are so many different varieties of sushi. I do not get any with the raw fish.  My favorite is the "California roll".   It is made up of avocado, cucumber, and imitation crab rolled up in the rice and seaweed wrap.  It is actually very good. I have enough left overs for tonight's dinner.  So for $20, I get two meals. Not bad.

I just wanted to make a quick visit, so now I need to get some breakfast.

Hope everyone will enjoy their day.  And, good healing wishes to all who need them.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Well, I'm up - to say the least.

Beverly, I hope Chape gets a good report on his biopsy; waiting is the hardest part.  He gave you a run for your money when he did so many unusual things.  He does sound like a keeper.  Best wishes for Donna; it isn't easy for you being so far away.

Joy, I knew there were other kinds of sushi than raw fish, but I did not know the contents of any other varieties.  I don't know that I've had any opportunity to try any variety.

Thoughts of a different kind - my paternal grandmother was born 160 years ago today.  She was always the oldest person I knew and she died at 92. 

Radar looks like we'll have a dry day but I'm not sure about seeing the sun.  It is October - I know!  And nearly November and time change.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  I've showered and dressed for another afternoon of bridge.  My friend, Terri, will pick me up about 12:45 to drive out to Sara's home.  I played yesterday at the retirement home near me, but didn't win any money--we did have a better than usual lunch, though--and that was a treat.  I hope it's because they have a new chef!

Have a nice day, Every One!
Sue

Mary Ann

I don't know whether to say I just had breakfast, brunch or lunch but I just finished a bowl of cereal which was my first real meal of the day.  I didn't expect the sun would be shining but it is. 

Sue, you are fortunate that others pick you up for such things as bridge games.  While I don't play bridge, Dot and Tom are my transportation.  Tom is my main method of getting anywhere as he often goes where I go, just sits away from my group.  For anything church related, Dot picks me up.  It's quite an inconvenience when we don't drive, especially after having driven so many years.  But I'm not going to start up again!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I didn't get up until 8:00, this morning.  I'm usually up between 6:00 and 6:30, so it feels like the middle of the day already, but is only 9:00.  It was one of those fitful nights, where I kept waking up, and having crazy dreams, etc.  The temperature went up to 87 in the late afternoon, so the house was like an oven inside.  We had turned off the AC and covered the unit outside, about a week ago, so now will have to uncover and turn it on today.  Another hot one expected, with possibility of the "ill wind".  Right now it's still and calm out there, but very warm already.

BEVERLY - I hope Chape is feeling better this morning?  I can relate to the husband who always wants to drive, regardless of the circumstances! ::)  When AJ had his bone marrow biopsy, they didn't give him anything to help with the pain. I was sitting in the waiting room, and when he walked out, he was pale as a ghost, and his lips looked blue.  Of course he wanted to drive, but I insisted, and he finally relented.  I remember us stopping at a Denny's, and having coffee and something to eat.

JOY - We haven't had Chinese food in years, but it sounds like a good idea. As you said, it's very salty, so we gave it up.  We do have a couple of Chinese restaurants here in town, so now that it's on my mind, I know I'll be ordering soon.  I also like the California Roll sushi!  I've never had the one with the raw fish either, and don[t understand why anyone would want it . .. but I know that's the traditional Sushi, and most people love it, including my daughter Sandy. 

MARY ANN - I know my grandparent's birthdays, but have never thought about figuring how old they would be.  This year 2019, marked the year that both of my parents would have turned 110 years old.  My mother was born in August 1909, and my father was born in September, 1909.  I though about them a lot this year, as that would have been quite a milestone.  AJ's Aunt Clara, (his mother's oldest sister), lived to be 107.         

angelface555

Marilyne, my paternal uncle,Kermit, was the oldest of sixteen children. My dad was fourth in the line of twelve boys and four girls. Anyway, Uncle Kermit was the eldest, and he died the last in 2017 at 106. I often wonder what he thought of being the first and last of so many? He and my cousins lived outside of Redwood city and in the sixties, had a nut orchard.

angelface555

Denver

A good Wednesday HELLO to all.

We are starting to settle in after our return from our lovely time in SoCal🥰  I have a big ol pot of pinto beans cooking on the stove and boy oh boy does it smell good!  It is getting very dreary out and rain and then snow is fastly approaching😩😢

I had quite a bit of trouble getting around while we were in Cali.  and it sure is making me sad that I can not do more than I can.  Normally when I am at sea level I feel better and have less over all pain, but that was not the case this time😢😩 At times Bob had to help me lift my leg into the car as it hurt so badly. In addition I have a bad flare up of "Arthur" in my hands and it continues to be very painful and extremely annoying 🤬🤬. Enough pi**ing and moaning from me😤😡

JOY, happy to read that you enjoyed the Chinese food so much.  Our family all enjoy sushi, even the kiddos.  I do not care for some of the fishier ones, but I do like a California Roll. Two meals out of one works great.

MARILYNE,  we both slept in late yesterday morning after our early morning arrival at home from the airport at nearly 2 AM, and it messed me up for the rest of the day.  I felt so sluggish. 

BEVERLY, I know you and the family are all sitting on pins and needles as you wait for the report on Chape's Bone Marrow Biopsy.  It is a very stressful time for you right now and I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. HUGS🦋🦋

Sue, enjoy your bridge game today.  It is very nice that you have friends to pick you up and take you.

WOW, how interesting PATRICIA that your Uncle Kermit was the oldest of so many children and ended up being the very last one to die! 

I hope you all are having a good day......

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MarsGal

Sorry Jenny, I can't give any advise; I don't have children. I do, however, sympathize with you for being put in such a situation. It seems rather unfair to me, and I've always been one to try to be fair. My Mom was good about making sure we children were treated equally. I guess it rubbed off some.

Mary Ann
, the chatter this afternoon on the Port Huron website is that the new USS Indianapolis which is being built in Wisconsin, will be christened on October 26. Maybe someone will put up some footage of it. Also, its home port will be in Florida, so the ship will have to pass down the St. Clair. I sure hope I don't miss it. I found this article about her that says she will be christened at Burns Harbor. https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/07/23/new-uss-indianapolis-commissioning-set-indiana-port.html

Mary Ann

Jenny, I don't have children, either, but I think the ball is in your son's court - there are several special holidays in a year and I think they're going to have to assign the holidays for each set of parents.  One family could be with them for Thanksgiving, then the other family would be there for Christmas.  It sounds like her parents want to be there for every holiday or occasion and that's not right.  If you can, I would talk to your son about the situation and see what he can come up with.  You are between a rock and a hard place which isn't fair to you and Bob. 

We used to gather at Norm and Dot's every Christmas Eve and Dot's family would be with them on Christmas Day.  That worked until the kids married so a couple of years ago we let the younger generation make the decision.  Also Dot said she is not up to hosting a big gathering any more.  Geoff and his wife would fly here from CA but now that they will have two youngsters (after November), they may prefer another time.  His wife's parents live near them. 

Jenny, I hope you and your son's family can work things out.

I'm not used to it being dark at 8 pm and we'll have nearly two more months of it before it starts getting lighter during the morning and evening.

MarsGal, I will try to watch the commissioning of the Indianapolis.  One year when Jim and I were walking in a downtown park along the White River, I came to a monument to the ship that was sunk.  The new one will have to travel on the St Clair River to get to its home port.

Mary Ann