Random Image

Farm Boy doll buddy in Osk Kosh Overalls

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

I just discovered Chief MAKOi's YouTube site. Very interesting documentaries about life on a ship. https://www.youtube.com/user/makoi6916 He has an overview video about what his vlogs are about. Enjoy.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, that is an interesting video of a seafarer's life I watched, but that only gives a small part of their life.  I think it compares to what the freighters sailor's lives are like.  I have crossed Lake Michigan a few times, but for the most part, I'll stay on dry land.

Saturday night I did not sleep good, but I made up for it last night.  I think I got up only once, maybe twice, and went back to sleep right away and woke up this morning about 9 am, got out of bed and was ready to start my day at 9:30 (that does not mean I am dressed).  If Kendrick joined me at any time during the night, he did not bother me.

Jackie, I remember you, Richard, Jenny and Bob meeting those years ago.  How many years?  I've met a few Seniors in person, but none in another country.  Those I met were all through some of Norm's doings.  We're a good group!  And I have more friends because of things like Seniors & Friends.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, I watched two of his vlogs so far. One of them was about docking and undocking procedures and the other was mostly about the crew change while they were loading vegetable oil, but also getting ready for a ship inspection.

I took Lucy up to the vet again this morning to check on her burping problem. We went over a bunch of stuff where he said I was already doing what he would have recommended to try. He thinks pretty much as I suspected, between her eating fast and her stuffy sinuses, she is swallowing air. I told him I plan on upping her thyroid medicine another half a tablet a day. He agreed. And I mentioned I had switched L-Lysine products and wasn't happy with performance of the new brand, so I am going back to the old. Since I can't get it at Amazon anymore, I will have to order it from Walmart or Chewy. I haven't checked to see if PetSmart or PetCo sell it yet. We agreed that I should have Lucy up every six months for blood work. The the timing for that appointment actually coincides with her annual checkup and shots.

I thought I mentioned that my sister and I saw a production of Oliver at the local playhouse on Friday night, but I don't see it. Anyway, the singing was very good. Some of the smaller children had trouble projecting their voices on the higher notes. The music was fairly loud; I think they could have backed it off a little bit so we could here some of the singing better. Overall, though, I didn't care much for the play itself. Next year the schedule includes three I might like to see: The Thirty-Nine Steps, Into the Woods, and Agatha Christie's Towards Zero.

Marilyne

I just completed a long message, where I said something to MarsGal, Jackie, and Mary Ann.   I accidentally pushed the wrong key or something?, and my post disappeared.  Tried all the tricks to get it back, but to no avail.  So depressing when that happens.  :(   I'll write again later. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm sorry you lost your message; I know it's disheartening.  I'll wait for your next message.

I hate to admit that Kendrick has been to the vet only once since I've had him and that was when he was barking because of a sticker in his mouth and he was  trying to get rid of it.  The vet said he was in good health at the time.  He gets a bowl of dry food a day and is ignored a lot, for which I am sorry, but he is surviving.  He's a good boy and behaves well.  I like summer better when I can let him out on the deck for 10 minutes and he likes that.  In winter there's not much he can do.  If I could get down on the floor I'd try to retrieve a ball that went under the desk.  Some day I may try it but I'm not very limber.  I'm content with the computer but that doesn't help Kendrick at all!

Tom has just left for the afternoon but will be back for supper.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...it would have been a good five or six years ago, maybe Jenny can remember the year she came over to stay in the heart of London...

What happened, where did he go, our last newest member Valtermar...He had settled in but we haven't for some reason been able to keep him here with us...

Sandy...
... wishing you a very enjoyable Birthday today...
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

DNA Just One of More Than 1 Million Possible 'Genetic Molecules,' Scientists Find.

"DNA and its cousin RNA store genetic information and enable life as we know it — but what if millions of lesser-known chemicals could do the exact same thing?

A new study suggests that more than 1 million chemical look-alikes could encode biological information in the same way that DNA does. The new study, published Sept. 9 in the Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, might point the way to new targets for pharmaceutical drugs, explain how life first evolved on Earth and even help us search for life-forms beyond our planet, the authors wrote.

"It is truly exciting to consider the potential for alternate genetic systems ... that these might possibly have emerged and evolved in different environments, perhaps even on other planets or moons within our solar system," co-author Jay Goodwin, a chemist at Emory University, said in a statement. "'

https://tinyurl.com/rycdo9w

Mary Ann

Jackie, shortly after Valtermar entered S&F, I saw his name at a folder I don't follow.  I think his interests are other than chatting with others.  I haven't noticed his name recently, but I have not been looking for it.

Mary Ann

angelface555

He hasn't posted in a while. He was last active in September.

Marilyne

Valtermar, posted in Library~Bookshelf, for a short time.  He was very nice and friendly, but I think he might have been surprised and maybe disappointed that there were no men who posted in that folder. As we all know, there are very few men who post in any of the S&F folders!  Lloyd and RAMMEL/Rick, may be the only two men left?  I think Radioman, comes in occasionally and posts in some of the games?  I think there are some men who post in Shoutbox?  I have Shoutbox hidden, so I forget that it's even there.  I'll click on it after I finish this post, and see if there is any activity there?

MarsGal

This afternoon I watched this video about a tug boat on the Yukon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ylkHyZJWo There are a whole bunch more about Alaskan tugboats. I used to watch that TV show about truckers out of Yellowstone, running routes over frozen ice when the boats can't get in. I forget the title.

Beverly

I've been AWOL again......For several days we had cold, dark and dreary weather. Today made up for it. The weather was beautiful. Lots of sunshine!

We're waiting for my son, Michael, and his wife, Jennifer, to arrive. They're only about 15 min. away. They drove down from Vermont.

Sounds as if you had a good time with the family Mary Ann. It's always fun to see the little ones. Our youngest will be four in December.

I always said I would never text and now I text frequently with my children. Especially with the girls who have busy lives and it lets us stay in touch with each other. Michael is usually a "one line" texter.  :) It's going to be nice having him around for awhile.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, I'll watch the video later, if I have time.  I will admit that I usually do not watch long videos, but occasionally I do and this one sounds interesting.

It's been a quiet afternoon.  Tom is still out but I expect him soon.  I took a nap and when I was ready to get up, there was a cat on my bed.  When Kendrick comes on my bed when I'm trying to sleep, I can feel the "thud" but if I'm really asleep, I don't feel a thing.

I watched the Arthur Anderson go by in Marine City and I noticed one of the chat people standing beside the river, the ship saluted and the man waved back.  I know the man, Dale Ty, goes there almost daily.  He has a marine radio and if he knows the captains, he asks them to give a salute.  He rides a bike and bring peanuts for the squirrels and doves.  One squirrel will hop on his knee to get a peanut.  The squirrels are mostly black whereas the ones around here are brown or kind of rusty.  When Terry and Jan lived in Holland, they had black squirrels too; I wonder if it is a "water" thing.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MarsGal, wasn't that show called ice road trucker or something similar like icefield trucker? I watched the video because Nenana is close to where I live, and I knew that family. 

MaryAnn, our squirrels are less than half the size of ones in the states, but ours are red. We have flying squirrels here, but they're said to be nocturnal, and I've never seen one.

I text because I'm not a fan of staying on the phone, and I texted lots when I was working as part of my job, so I'm used to it.

Our littlest family one is 28.  :)

I'll be off to class tonigh at seven to nine for introductions and orientation.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I have seen flying squirrels.  A teacher friend of my father had them in their back yard and he and his wife invited Dad and me to see them.  It was at night (nocturnal) and it was fun to see them fly from on the house to a tree.  I don't remember what, if any, foods they might have had for them, but I do remember sitting there watching them in the floodlight.

Mary Ann

Beverly

We have mostly gray squirrels here in the residential areas and some red squirrels. Red squirrels can be quite aggressive.  Around the golf courses you see monkey squirrels, fairly large and strange looking with monkey-like faces. They will jump into a golf cart to steal snacks if you aren't careful.

Do you remember Rae Inskeep (one of the SN originals) from Olney, Illinois? Her town was known for white squirrels.  When we were at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada, we saw cute little ground squirrels. Chape took pictures of Pat Scott with one.

Many years ago a flying squirrel got into the house one night. What havoc! Our dachshund was chasing it all over the place and my kids (teen age) were trying to catch the dog and get the squirrel to go out the door. We finally succeeded!

The "kids" are tired and about to go to bed. They drove straight down with only naps on the way......about 1500 miles.  ::)

MarsGal

Lucy and Oscar are downstairs watching a East European bird feeder. I forget the country. Anyway, there is a flaming red squirrel with tufted ears there which has them entranced. The last two days there haven't been very many birds. All the sparrows seem to have disappeared.

When I was living at campus housing in Allentown, there were for several years a bunch of blond squirrels, then they all disappeared at once.

Deer and bear are definitely invading the communities around here now more than ever. I haven't seen any bear; they seem to be mostly across the river in Dauphin County. This fall, so far, I have seen a deer and one of her two fawns by my Vet's building in Harrisburg, and two on the West Shore. The last was just this past Friday when Sue and I were on our to the play after eating at Perkins. It was crossing the on ramp to Route 15 near the Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill.

Ice Road Trucker, that's the one Patricia. I watched the first three seasons. It is probably the only "reality TV" show I have watched apart from several of the Dangerous Catch episodes when George would stop by. That's the one he liked. I think you mentioned Nenana before which is probably why I picked that one to watch. Gosh, what a challenge with all that silt and shifting sandbars.

I have one minor outing today to pick up my two books at the library and to the drug store to see if I can find 10mg Pepcid for Lucy. Vet said to try half a tablet to see if that settles her burping problem. I sincerely doubt I will be able to get one down her, but if it doesn't work, I can always use it for the occasional upset.

angelface555

Good morning. I'm told that flying squirrels are all over this part of the state, but as I've said. I've never seen one that I know of. It's like we have both red and also black foxes locally, but I've only seen a black fox once. From Alaska Fish and Game, I found this; "The red squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) makes itself quite conspicuous with its lively habits and noisy chatter. Cone cuttings on stumps or rocks are common, and tracks in the snow are numerous where this squirrel occurs.

It can be found in spruce forests over most of Alaska and has a wide range in North America." Then, "The arctic ground squirrel ranges across northern, eastern, and southwestern Alaska at elevations ranging from sea level to well above mountain tree lines. It is the only ground squirrel species in its range. They occur in tundra, meadow, riverbank, and lakeshore habitats with loose soils that provide early vegetation."

Reading your posts, I never knew there were so many types of squirrels. I have seen the tufted eared squirrels in photos, but we don't have them here.

We have many overwintering small birds, but in the winter, they tend to gather in substantial multispecies flocks and move into the bush. In the summer, they will return to smaller species specific flocks. Since this building is by a river, we see many of those summer flocks out the windows.

We have porcupines, beavers, muskrats, pikas, voles, woodchucks, weasels, or ermine, martens who coincidently are squirrel's biggest predator. The article says while we have both red and black foxes, the red can sometimes be silver. Does that count as three types? In 2017 they discovered prairie dogs in Denali Park, just one of several southern animals making their way north. While we have both forested and wetlands, the animals here tend to be forest dwellers.

The ones more noticeable are grizzlies, black bears, moose, and caribou. Before this city became a gold camp after a huge gold discovery locally, this was the Athabascan's main hunting ground, and there are still many animals present. I read that the in-town moose population ranges a little over two hundred. Of course, for being so large, they can be rather inconspicuous.

angelface555

MaryAnn, I might have seen one, flying squirrel, here, but since it's daylight almost 24/7 in the summer, would they still be seen? In retrospect that sounds dumb as they must hibernate in the winters. However, if it is a sunny day, that sun doesn't set in the summer. I guess I'm saying, if it is daylight 24/7 how are they nocturnal?

MarsGal, I've never seen any Alaskan reality shows. Actually I've never seen any except the old cops show in the nineties before I gave away my TV. But you hear about them on the computer. I gave my TV away right around the time American Idol premiered.

Locally, the Tanana, Nenana and Yukon rivers are silty from glacial runoff while the Chena, Chatanika and Salcha are so clear you think the bottom is only inches away when it can be over twenty-five feet. 

Mary Ann

Patricia, I think it could be both interesting and dangerous living among so many wild animals.  On the other hand, who needs pets when you can sit on your balcony and watch the world go by. 

For our area, we do have some different species visit.  Or course, there are the usual ducks and Canada geese, but we had a grebe a few years ago that stayed for several weeks.  A great blue heron visits almost daily and woe be to any other heron that tries to fish here - we have a fight.  I've seen a bittern and a condor.  We used to have a lot of raccoons around since we're on a pond, but I haven't seen one in several years.  One year I saw a deer on the bank across the pond but now that area is built on but that doesn't mean deer can't come. 

I don't live in the city, but we are built up around here and you drive from the city to the township without knowing it.  We are a Charter Township, the meaning of which escapes me.  I think among other things, it means we cannot be annexed.

I know our animal population doesn't compare with Alaska's, but I don't live in the boonies, yet I've seen the variety of animals I have.  If I were younger, I'd love to live in the country, on a road that "you can't get there from here".  What a dreamer!

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, surprisingly, most city folks don't see the animals either because they're in cars or directly not paying attention. A case in point is that there are in town bridges over gullies and creeks beside the more considerable viewing/walking and or driving bridges. Since I walk everywhere, I see more. Often when crossing a small bridge over a gully and creek, you will see a moose down below eating leaves and bark off of a birch tree. The moose stand out more in the winter.

You don't see the number of animals, even moose as much because of an influx of people. Then in 2017-2018, they rebuilt the majority of main roads, put in traffic bumps and circles and widened streets, built new sidewalks, dividers as well as making most streets one way.

I wanted to show a video of downtown, but so many were derogatory (lower 48 visitors), making fun of the lack of huge malls and popular stores, which by the way, are almost all bankrupt now. Then again, most of them are from 2010, 2014-2016, and it doesn't look anything like that now.

One guy was upset after doing a drone view of the city and almost getting his drone confiscated. Since we have two military bases both in and outside the city limits, its a no-fly zone.

Mary Ann

Patricia, if I could walk better, I would.  I used to walk the roads in our complex, not many, but they gave me a 1+ mile walk.  Before that I often crossed busy 5-Mile and walked at least two if not more miles.  Tom credits those walks with my being able to walk as well as I can now, so far no walker, but I'm not averse to my having one at some time; I just don't feel I need one now because I have no place to walk. 

I'd love to be able to see the animals, far away or up as close as possible.  My dad was a small-town boy and I think he liked the open air of the area.  When we took vacations we'd often walk around the places.  One was the Helen Hunt Falls in Colorado (I think) and there were many steps to the top but in stages.  I think we both petered out before we got to the top, but we went up a lot of steps.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I have to chime in here, on local wildlife. Our town is in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, so we have an abundance of just about everything EXCEPT for bear. They were here in the early days of settlers, but were killed off for food, or because they were a menace to ranchers.  They're still abundant throughout the Sierra Nevada mountain range, which is hundreds of miles from us and includes the Gold Country, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Shasta, Whitney, and all towns and communities in that range, but not here. 

Because of the recent advent of outside security cameras, we are now aware of the how many different species of animal come into our yards at night.  All the usuals like raccoons, skunks, possums, rabbits, Bobcats, coyotes  and most recently, foxes.  There is a fox family here, that I think might be living in our junipers out in front?  We've seen them during the day, but mostly at night on camera.  They're a beautiful golden color, with shades of gray and silver on the back. 

The most dangerous & dreaded wild animal here, is the what we call the Mountain Lion, but is also known as a Cougar, Puma, or wildcat.  The town that I live in is named Los Gatos, which means The Cats, in Spanish, so they have been here for centuries. They prey mostly on deer, but will kill anything if they are hungry enough or feel threatened - including humans!  There are signs along the hiking and biking trails out side of town, warning people, and instructions as to what to do if you encounter one.   They stay mostly in the mountains or on the outskirts of town, but occasionally a camera catches one.  Lots of people post pictures on Next Door, of Mountain Lions in their yards, trees,  and on their deck.  Makes my blood run cold to think about coming face to face with one!

MarsGal - "Ice Road Truckers", and "Dangerous Catch" were both good TV shows, along with "Alaska State Troopers".  AJ used to watch all three, but I don't think  they're on anymore?  Probably they can be seen On Demand? 

Beverly - sounds like you and Chape enjoyed your visit with Michael and Jennifer.  You probably don't see them often, being as they live in Vermont.  That's a long way from Florida.  I'll have to look at my road atlas, and see how far it is?  I've never heard of a Monkey Squirrel, but they sound to be interesting and probably tropical?   Occasionally, when we watch "Beach Front Bargain Hunt", on HGTV, they will feature a couple looking for a house in the Florida Keys.  Occasionally they will show a yard with lots of tropical foliage and palm trees, and an occasional monkey. Or maybe it was a monkey squirrel, and I just thought it was a monkey? 

angelface555

Marilyne, the only cat we have here is the Arctic or Northern lynx which is nocturnal and rarely seen anymore with the influx of people. "Lynx have a short tail, characteristic tufts of black hair on the tips of their ears, large, padded paws for walking on snow and long whiskers on the face. Under their neck they have a ruff which has black bars resembling a bow tie, although this is often not visible.

Body colour varies from medium brown to goldish to beige-white, and is occasionally marked with dark brown spots, especially on the limbs. All species of lynx have white fur on their chests, bellies and on the insides of their legs, fur which is an extension of the chest and belly fur. The lynx's colouring, fur length and paw size vary according to the climate in their range. In the Southwestern United States, they are short-haired, dark in colour and their paws are smaller and less padded. As climates get colder and more northerly, lynx have progressively thicker fur, lighter colour, and their paws are larger and more padded to adapt to the snow. Their paws may be larger than a human hand or foot.

The smallest species are the bobcat and the Canada lynx, while the largest is the Eurasian lynx, with considerable variations within species."

"The lynx is usually solitary, although a small group of lynx may travel and hunt together occasionally. Mating takes place in the late winter and once a year the female gives birth to between one and four kittens. The gestation time of the lynx is about 70 days. The young stay with the mother for one more winter, a total of around nine months, before moving out to live on their own as young adults. The lynx creates its den in crevices or under ledges. It feeds on a wide range of animals from white-tailed deer, reindeer, roe deer, small red deer, and chamois, to smaller, more usual prey: snowshoe hares, fish, foxes, sheep, squirrels, mice, turkeys and other birds, and goats. It also eats ptarmigans, voles, and grouse."

"The two Lynx species in North America, Canada lynx and bobcats, are both found in the temperate zone. While the bobcat is common throughout southern Canada, the continental United States and northern Mexico, the Canada lynx is present mainly in boreal forests of Canada and Alaska." 

angelface555

The scariest animals locally are the grizzlies or black bears. Just last year in Anchorage, a 16-year-old marathon runner was chased down and partially eaten during a marathon by a black bear. People have, with their dogs, returned from hikes to find bears have tracked them for some of the ways.

Another dangerous animal is the wolf. There are so many people that think wolves are so misunderstood,  people don't think of them as wild animals. There was a woman killed last year, a tourist who "wasn't afraid of wolves." There have been reports by snowmachiners of wolves chasing them down and in one case attempting to pull the rider off his machine.

The point is those wild animals are neither good nor bad. They're not human, nor do they have human emotions or thoughts. A wild animal is never a pet. They are simply a wild animal.

Amy

We also have a lot of wild life about. Moose, deer, fox, wolf and bear, along with racoons ,skunks and elk. ALL wild animals are to be treated with respect, they are not pets and people that think they can just stand close to see them are foolish!  Love looking at them and taking photos but know my limits.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

AMY and PATRICIA - Wolves were eradicated or moved out of most of the USA in the first half of the 20th Century.  Now they are being slowly integrated back into the mountains near Montana & Wyoming (Yellowstone), and I think in a few other states as well?  It's a controversial subject, with widely differing points of view. I don't know much about wolves, but I intend to learn more?  Introducing them back into certain States, sounds worrisome to me?  I'll do a little research, and see what the general opinion is?

Mary Ann

They've tried to keep wolves on Isle Royal, which is part of Michigan, but nearer Minnesota, to keep the moose population under control.  The wolves die of natural causes or maybe disease, but it is a never-ending battle.  I think occasionally a wolf is found in the lower peninsula but I'm not sure where.  Could be as far south as we are.

Mary Ann

Amy

Marilyne, when I farmed I went to sleep with the howling of the wolves..loved the sound. There were lambs, calves and colts and not one problem did I have with the wolves. I believe that there was a lot of other food available to them.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

angelface555

While I have seen and heard about wolf kills and damages along with bears (even moose killing people due to human harrassment); I am not in favor of killing or poisoning animals just for human convenience.

People need to realize that an animal is wild first and foremost and not a cuddly toy or one with human habits and reasonings. It should be taught to give these animals their space, They are not here for your enjoyment, and you cannot blame them for behaving naturally.

I have lived the majority of my life in an area dominated by large wild animals. My sisters and I were taught at a young age how to sensibly behave around not only wild animals but also animals unknown to us.

It is the same with living in a community bordered by five icy rivers and three more within fifty miles. We were taught how to swim at an early age, had adult supervision when in the bush, at our upriver cabin, and spent most of my childhood summers on an inboard, jetboat, or dinghy up river or down.