Random Image

Sunrise1

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Patricia, we had coal delivery too.  When we moved into the house, there was a coal bin and a fruit cellar.  I think a window had to be removed (then replaced) for the coal to be delivered.  When we converted to gas heat, the coal bin became a dark room to develop and print pictures, some for the high school annual where my dad was the advisor. 

Later, Dad took out some of the inner walls of the fruit cellar and put a work bench in there for him to use.  I was in the house a few years ago but I don't remember if those areas were still there.  The gas furnace finally gave up the ghost and a new one was put in a different place. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Now who remembers the rag and bone man...he would drive around ( horse and cart ) around the streets calling out for metal and scrap, " any old iron.."
" There is no present like the time "

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  It's chilly here in Auburn, Alabama this morning.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up my kitchen, but am not dressed yet.  After I get out for my daily walk, I'll probably spend the rest of the day reading. 

When I was young we had gas heat and getting up to get ready for school was pretty chilly.  We were near the end of the gas line and we didn't get much heat.  And after breakfast and dressing in our warmest duds, we had to walk about 3 blocks to get to our school bus stop.  I don't miss that at all!

My grandmother did her grocery shopping at a friend's local grocery and the son of the owner often brought her home.  She worked at the local post office for many years.  She walked to work daily and always very early in the morning.  During Christmas deliveries she often stayed late at the P.O. to help the delivery men get their mail sorted and ready to deliver.

Have a nice day, all you Bait and Tacklers.
Sue

Mary Ann

Good morning, Sue, and any who follow.  It's a brisk morning here so far, 34 degrees, and it won't be much warmer.

Sue, I used to walk home from high school, about 1 1/4 miles, but I always got a ride to school because my dad taught at the high school.  Once in a while, I'd be asked to stay to help my dad with something, then I'd get a ride home. 

It's going to be kind of a busy day today and none of it for Thanksgiving.  Jan is coming to cut my toenails, then she, her mother, Tom and I will go out to lunch.  Tom doesn't have his car back but we hope he will get it back today - too much depends on his car!  Robin will be here this afternoon to clean, change my bed and assorted stuff.

I'm not dressed yet, but I'll get at that soon.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

A quick Good Morning here, while everyone else in the house is still asleep.  It's almost 7:30, but AJ, Shelley and Claire, are still in bed.  The only one who is up and busy, is Lily, the calico cat.  After everyone has breakfast, we're going out to buy the last of our Thanksgiving food, which will be a couple of pies, and anything else that looks good.  I always let Claire pick out whatever she wants.   This is a work day for Sandy, so she won't be joining us until TG day.   I'll be back later to say hello.  Hope you all have a nice Tuesday.

Mary Ann

Before it gets too busy, I'll post something now.  Jan came this morning to cut my toenails so that is done for a while.  Afterward we went to New Beginnings - Jan, her mother Lorraine, Tom and me.  We had a nice lunch and I had a large salad.  I don't really like them so large, but that's the way they come.  Tom got a call that his car was ready so we left the restaurant, dropped me off and Jan took Tom to the dealership to get the car.  I didn't ask what was wrong, but it cost a lot less than he expected.  He had an appointment after that and is now downstairs doing his thing.  Kendrick and I lay down on my bed and I knew he went to sleep but I was able to rest.  I came in here to do a little computing before Robin arrived and she arrived before I expected her.   She now is working in the kitchen before she and I go downstairs to look for a notebook that has Family Stories in it.  I found a floppy with some but my computer does not take floppies.  So that is the way things are going so far.

Marilyn, isn't it kind of nice to be the only one up?  Your quiet time. 

As far as I know, Kendrick is still on my bed, but he will leave when Robin gets at my bed.

I ran off some genealogy stuff for Robin and that will keep her busy at home for a bit. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Patricia, looks nice, but someone has too much time on their hands.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - Food Jewelry . . . clever idea, I have to admit.  However, only a few people could get away with wearing turkeys hanging from their ears! Ha ha. Only for the very bold and self confident, which doesn't include me.  The Martini earrings with the green olives, were my favorites.

Mary Ann - Looks like you and Tom had a nice lunch, with Jan and her mother. A large salad sounds good to me, but only if there is some sort of bread or rolls to go with it?   Glad Tom's car is repaired and ready to go for another 1,000 miles!  Knowing Camry's like I do, it wouldn't surprise me!  :thumbup:
Too bad we can't get Kendrick and Lily together for some playtime.  Lily is sitting here on the window sill, watching the rain clouds approaching!  They are predicting an inch, but I don't believe it until I actually see it!     

RAMMEL

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on November 25, 2019, 02:40:19 PMNow who remembers the rag and bone man...he would drive around ( horse and cart ) around the streets calling out for metal and scrap, " any old iron.."
I remember that guy, or someone similar. There was also the GRINDER - someone in an old truck type vehicle who sharpened knives or anything that needed sharpening. And there was the Umbrella man who fixed umbrellas. Last but not lease, --- the scrap man.
Let's not forget the delivery people --- Milk, Bakery goods, other random items. When I was visiting Charleston, SC as a kid I remember the "Shrimp & Fish man with his ice filled cart and fresh off the boat fish items.  There was also a Vegetable Cart that came around.
Sure wish some of those things were still in style.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

I've mentioned the Colonial man with his baked goods, the ice man, the milk man; we also had a huckster in the summer who came around selling vegetables and fruits.  Those deliveries were very convenient, especially for those families who couldn't go to the grocery store at the drop of a hat.  Out of nine houses that I remember, only three women drove and only one of those women worked outside the home. 

Robin has just left and we are quite clean and organized for a couple of days.  We did a lot of talking, but for the most part, I left her alone. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Marilyne, MaryAnn, I'm sure if we're following proper etiquette, we should be wearing that style of jewelry whilst eating our piecaken,https://www.wideopeneats.com/piecaken/    or our turduckin.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/turducken-recipe-1809374

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia, but I prefer my jewelry to be dry and solid.  Actually, in my case, I also prefer it to be small. 

Mary Ann

Denver

Good evening.  We are snowed in......there is a good 15" on the ground here.  Started snowing last night around 10 and has continued ever since.  Some locations  had the sun peek through, but we did not.  Tomorrow is to be cold, but no more snow until Friday. 

We managed to get out yesterday and purchased the Thanksgiving Dinner items as well as a few days to tide us over with the uncertain weather.  We were invited to join our California DIL's Family here, but we declined with the uncertainty of the weather.  They live south of us about 35 minutes and they can get a lot worse weather than we have here. 

I enjoyed reading all the comments about home deliveries back in the day, and I expierenced ALL of them, including having water delivered to fill our cistern.  My parents did not know about the cistern, so when we ran out of water my mom thought the well went dry!  After paying for the water delivery we went into the saving mode for life regarding water!  We called the rag / junk man the "ragshiney"!  I remember putting the card in the window to tell how much ice we needed from the iceman.  When we lived in England on a tabaco plantation, I could see the milk man way down the long drive  Pull in, and I would get my coat on and start walking down to get my milk.  By the time I would get there the top on my milk bottle was always tipped open.  I just could not understand WHY the milkman would always stick his finger in the bottle and do this to my milk bottle.....found out, years later that it was a bird that probably did this!  Fun, fun times! 

I wish you all a goodnight....pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Jenny, it looks as if we could have snow by Thursday but I hope not 15 inches!  That's awful, so early in the season.  Mother Nature should do it gradually.

Under the circumstances, I think you were wise to not drive south.  On Thursday, we have only four or five miles to go - in town.  Sunday, we'll go to Holland and that may be something else.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...our local milk floats back in the 50's and 60's also sold bread, eggs and chocolate wafer biscuits, i also remember small bottled chocolate drinks and orange juice in bottles not in cartons..
...yes the ice cream vans ( usually run by Italian families, ) and the fresh fish vans that came around the streets....Yes you are right, i too have just remembered the vegetable cart they came around our streets selling their produce...

All...
...another memory i have was a factory along my road had a wide-concrete window sill, one of these old sash corded windows and in summers the window was left wide open where i would jump up and sit and watch them at work, the factory was to do with making-packing "gas masks, " mainly women and the radio music was often on...I remember one or two ladies asking me as a then young child, age seven-ten, " am i going anywhere on holiday, where am i going, " well i hadn't a clue, nor did we go on holidays, so came home indoors, asked my nan or mom, as the nice ladies was asking, and was told by my nan, yes, " Timbuktu, " well off i went back to that window-sill and proudly told them where i was going, only for them to laugh, well i had no clue why they were laughing...

Mary Ann

Jackie, great story about Timbuktu and the innocence of children.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Bait and Tackler.  I've had breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen, but am not dressed yet.  It's dark and dreary outside.  I'm waiting for a delivery of flowers which my son/daughter in law in Illinois have ordered.  I hope they arrive soon as I'm thinking it will rain here this morning and I want to get my daily walk in before that happens!  Tomorrow my daughter-in-law and her mother are coming to pick me up for Thanksgiving dinner at my son's home.  He does most of the cooking at his house (my 2 other sons are good cooks, too, but the one in Illinois leaves it to his wife!).

I hope Every Buddy has a nice holiday.  Jane, I hope you'll have a good time with your friend.  I know the first holiday without Ray will be difficult for you.  Thoughts and prayers for a nice time with your friend.

Sue

Mary Ann

Good morning, Sue, and everyone else.  I've checked in a few times and there was nothing in S&F at all.  I was sitting around waiting for Tom to make an appearance.  I needed a certain bowl for the salad and I couldn't see it in the cupboard.  I had sent him an e-mail about it and when he came upstairs,  he had the bowl.  It looks clean, but it is now in the sink filled with soapy water.  Tom has left for a while and he will bring back a package of lettuce and a quart of milk.  With the lettuce, I can get a start on my salad, but we are leaving about 4:30 to pick up his former MIL and we will not get back until late tonight. 

My phone is a cordless phone, but I think it is still considered a landline  Anyway, I had a robo call and with Caller ID, I don't answer those calls.  The voice on my phone has an awful time with pronouncing some things, especially consonants together.  Today it was NRCC and the voice will say I have a call from - and that's as far as it goes.  It does seem to recognize state abbreviations, saying M I.  The voice murders names, even easy ones.  I keep it because it gives me a good laugh.

I'm going to do some printing now.

Mary Ann,

Sandy

Good Afternoon from the cold and
rainy rocky coast of Maine. 

Later on tonight and tomorrow morning,   it is
suppose to snow...  not so much that it will
prevent us from getting to where we are
going for thanksgiving...  I presume !

Speaking of the disaster that was in Whales
"Aberfan" ....   just yesterday I was searching around
on my Roku and low and behold they were showing  a
Movie, about that horrible tragedy..

What a very sad and heart breaking tale. 
Sickening.

Tomorrow I am going over to Madison and Fe's
for  thanksgiving....   Madison is also having
some refugees from The Congo... families with
children...

Madison is very much into volunteering
these days.... (she takes Fe with her)...

She is stay at home Mother who just
gives and gives and gives or her time
with people who are less fortunate then
we are....     I am so very  proud of her. 

All is well here.   Looking forward
to Turkey Day!

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, it's good to see your post and know you are OK.  Good for Madison and her volunteer work and for having refugees from the Congo as guests.  I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

I am waiting for Tom to return from wherever he went.  He said he'd be back early afternoon and we're in that period now.  I'd like to at least get started on my salad for tomorrow but he's got to get lettuce and that is the first layer.  I'm afraid I'll end up doing the salad in the morning which will be OK but the flavors won't have a chance to blend. 

We're to leave about 4:30 for Sheridan, as I've written before and will not repeat.

I don't know what it's doing over Lake Michigan, but it's hazy, lots of whitecaps - and someone is flying a kite. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Just a quick hello, to wish you a nice trip to Sheridan, and enjoy your time with Tom's former MIL.  I hope Tom remembers the lettuce for your salad.  Things like that can be stressful, because you want to get it out of the way!   I've made the layered salad in the past, and it's very good, and attractive to look at.

Sandy - Your granddaughter sounds like a busy young women, who likes to be involved with helping others.  I know you will enjoy your TG dinner with the family from Congo. 

Hi to Jenny, Sue and Jackie - I'll get back  later to say more, but now have to run to the store for whipped cream.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Chocolate pudding/cream cheese/Cool Whip dessert and ingredients for cornbread dressing (will mix and bake there)that I'm taking to son's for Thanksgiving are ready.  Now I have to get myself ready for son to pick me up later this afternoon.  That may take longer than the food prep did!

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Mary Ann

The best laid plans - Tom did remember the lettuce and milk, however, the store was closed because of no power.  It's been quite windy here today; we did not lose power but obviously some places north of us did.  We will try to get them in Greenville when we go through there to get Carol.  When I got up this morning, the temp was 51 degrees.  It is now 37 degrees. 

Tom has tried to convince Annie that she's taking on a big job for tomorrow.  She worked until mid-afternoon and still had shopping to do.  At 24, she knows everything!  First plans were we would take Carol to Annie's, but now we will bring her here and Annie will pick her up later.

It's about time for us to leave.  Terrible weather, but no snow.

If you don't hear from me again today - Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

A Happy Thanksgiving to all. -----

And - everyone be careful.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

RAMMEL - Happy Thanksgiving  to you too!  Do you do any of the cooking, or does that chore belong to your wife or son?  The two daughters do the cooking here, but we still buy the turkey and most of the other items for the traditional holiday meal.

CALLIE - Chocolate pudding/cream cheese/Cool Whip dessert, sounds wonderful.  I'd love to have the recipe?  Have a great Thanksgiving at your son's house. "See you" when you get back!

JENNY - It's a good thing you aren't going to your dil's parent's home for Thanksgiving.  We saw lots of pictures on the news last night of the snow in Colorado.  Looks beautiful, but I'd hate to drive in it.  It's extremely cold here also.  Rain overnight with temps in the low 40's, so we have some snow on our surrounding mountains.  Today the temps have only gone as high as 48.  Way too cold for this native Californian!

Jackie - I love hearing about the Rag and Bone Man, and traveling knife sharpeners, and Fish Vans!    The only things we had here were the Milkman, the Bread Truck, and the Good Humor Man, which was a white truck with an ice cream bar pictured on the side.  Lots of ice cream treats, which my brother and I didn't get very often.  We also had a brown truck that came once a month, that said, The Jewel Tea Company, on the outside.  They had LOTS of things besides tea.  Mostly household/kitchen items that you would order, and when the truck came around the following month, they would have your order.
I love your story about Timbuktu! :)

Mary Ann

I forgot the Fuller Brush man.  And I probably forgot some others.

Our weather has been lousy and rainy and we drove to Sheridan to pick up Tom's MIL.  She is a delightful lady, almost 82, with wet Mac D and has only peripheral vision.  She lives alone but has many friends who drive her to church and other places.  We stopped in Greenville to eat at Applebee's then came here.  Annie was to pick her up at 8 pm but it was nearer 8:30 when she got here.  Kendrick came into the living room to see who was here.  She has a cat and I am sure he smelled "cat" which is why he came out.  He did let Carol pet him. 

We stopped at the store on the way to Sheridan and bought my salad ingredients and I did not feel like starting at 8:30 pm so I'll have to get at it in the morning. 

Now I am just letting it "all hang out".  I'm tired because I'm not used to so much activity and besides, I had a busy Tuesday too.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

When i was working in Ladbrokes bookmakers in the West End of London UK, an oldtimer ( one could tell he had been doing this for years and was well-known in this area ) who often came in to place a bet and for a chat, who was a street shoe-shine, shoe-polisher who i once spotted him located outside Hamleys the Londons toy shop once, so assumed this was his daily pitch..In hindsight he was probably the last of this generation, this was 30 plus years ago...
...Oh the joys of reminiscing on old times gone by...if only we could bring them back..

Joy

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Just want to wish everyone a wonderful day with your family and friends.

Joy
BIG BOX

SCFSue

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Bait and Tacklers.  I've had breakfast, read the morning paper, and now need to get into the shower.  My Daughter-in-law and her mother are coming to pick me up to go to my son's house.  He is cooking our Thanksgiving dinner.  I've been told not to bring anything--and that suits me just fine!

My son's family in Illinois had a lovely floral arrangement delivered to my home yesterday.  My son called to let me know the local florist would be delivering it, so I stayed inside until it was delivered.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
Sue