Random Image

PSP graphic

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:59:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

Mary Anne, Tulsa probably doesn't have the excitement that other cities do but, since she works for a large company, she shouldn't have a problem making friends.

Amy, weather seems to have "settled" into just cold rain now.  Icy stuff has moved east and north. Hope your son arrives home safely.

Eye doctor said I'd been doing all the right things and eye is healed.  "Weepiness" is caused by an imbalance in the tears (didn't quite understand all the explanation) and OTC Systane eye drops twice a day will help with that.
Family had fussed at me because I insisted it would improve and refused to go to doctor earlier.  Kind of fun to be able to say,  "Told you so!"  ;)

Off to continue sorting/stacking/shredding things I no longer need to keep for tax return.

Denver

Good morning.  We have sunshine today, but we also have horrible winds that are reeking havoc all over the place. 

BEVERLY, I am SO HAPPY to read that Donna scan came back clear....What wonderful news for all of you! 

JACKIE, HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY wishes to Richard in Heaven. 

I can relate to the terrible falls as well as the issue of trying to get up off of the floor/ground😩😱  It is frightening and scary!  The fact that it can happen so fast even though one is as careful as can be. 

MARY ANN, I wish Annie the best, and I hope she understands that even when one is calling "all the shots" there still is a lot of give and take to making ones way in life🤩. Has she ever lived away from family before?

AMY, I think about your son, off and on, and the concerns for his safety on his long drives on treacherous road conditions. 🙏

CALLIE, I wish you a good report on your eye. It sure looked cold and miserable in Leadville today in a picture that was shared....but I had to smile as the Golden Burro sigh was lit up and shinning strong😘

MARILYNE, I hope your shopping trip to the Hallmark Store will be successful for you today.

JOY and AMY, you both commented on how a positive attitude is so important to anyone with cancer, or any other debilitating disease, and I can not agree with you more!  I KNOW for a fact it has helped My Michele get through🙏  WE MUST NEVER GIVE UP❣️

JEAN, I am always happy when you comment on how nice your weather is....but I know you have had some bad storms recently too. 

I must get busy....I have had several interruptions and I sure do not want to loose this post like I did yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Annie has had kind of a disrupted life and I can see why she went to her SO.  She was about 10 when Tom and Sue divorced.  It was not a nice, quiet divorce and every time they seemed to be getting to the end, Sue would change the rules (add something else).  She asked for more money than Tom made but based on what he was capable of doing, if such a job was available.  James was older but both kids would spend weekends with Tom and weeks with Sue so they could go to school.  Annie spent her ninth grade at a church-related school.  Her tenth grade was at Petoskey High and the next year Tom and Annie were in Holland with Tom's brother and wife so Annie went to West Ottawa High and for her senior year she took an online course and by that time they were living with me!  She has never had time to make friends her age and living with her SO, all their friends were older.  Nice people, but older.  Her SO is very wealthy, owned the business but sold it to the company they now work for.  Annie got pittance for salary but her SO has a nice home and that is where she lived for four years.  She still has not left him, but will at the end of the month.  Of course, she did not pay rent, so the low salary didn't matter too much except for pride.  She developed something for the business shipping that was successful and earned her SO a lot of money.  Tom says her development is one reason the other company wanted to buy the SO's.  When the deal was made, she began earning much more money than she ever dreamed of and I think she is spending more that she should, only because she's not used to having any amount.  She's a good girl, a good daughter.  Tom will miss her greatly and I know if I were not around, he'd move to Holland to be with James and family, or to Tulsa to be near Annie.  I have no plans to leave soon, but we never know, do we? 

I've told more than you want to know, but I've had this on my mind for some time and I didn't want to say anything until things were more firm.

Thanks for your concern and I'll keep you posted.

Mary Ann

Amy

Callie, thank you.....no matter how old our children are we will always worry about them. This is where the company wanted to send him and thankfully I think the trip  was cancelled.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topstories/newfoundland-states-of-emergency-declared-vehicles-ordered-off-the-roads/ar-BBYYWql?ocid=spartanntp

Jenny, thank you, I just talked with him and he is in Nebraska between two storms.. heading home. :) :smitten:
Positive attitude will help get one through anything , one cannot always say oh poor me and hope to get ahead.

We are getting ready here for a dandy storm......need to find a place to put bird seed out and hope it doesn't get snowed under. Amazing how they survive this cold weather.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Tomereader1

I certainly don't envy those of you with sleet, snow, frozen roadways, but it has been what I call "Seattle weather" here for days.  Rain, rain, sometimes heavy (during the night mostly), sometimes light, like a heavy sprinkle then fine mist. It is also cold.  My old bones seem frozen, and I didn't know what to have for supper, so I made up a batch of that "real oatmeal" I mentioned awhile back, with  dried apricots in it.  Oh, it warmed me up something fine! Hadn't been to grocery store in a few days, so out of cookies, out of chocolate (candy), thus out of sorts! Tomorrow is supposedly going to bring some sunshine, but not too much warmer.  Off to the Kroger's I will go. Take care, y'all.  Till next time.

Tomereader1

Hey, Marilyne, what are you up to?Haven't seen many posts from you.  There is simply nothing on TV (live TV) so I am bound to get thru some of my DVR'd movies and shows.  Bet AJ can't wait for Sunday for the big games (football) but he's probably going to watch hockey.  :)

Mary Ann

Tomereader, you mention "Seattle weather" so I will tell you we are having "Michigan weather".  I didn't know what went on during the day because I sit by a window with louvered blinds and can't see anything except light and dark.  I went to the kitchen for some supper and we have snow!  We may have snow all night and we're to have the party for Annie in the afternoon.  Maybe by that time, things will calm down.  It is pretty out there with the street light shining on the snow and there's been very little traffic on our road. 

I hope you're able to get to the store OK.  I have to add to our order and Tom will pick our order up sometime next week.  We don't have a schedule, Tom goes when he is out of something, mainly eggs, so I have to keep my part up to date.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Beverly, it got up to 70 today and it is 64 now at 10:30 central time.  We are to get some colder weather Sunday or Monday.

Larry and I went to Outback for a late afternoon lunch.  Larry got some shrimp and French fries and I got chicken three tacos and fries.  I could only eat one taco so finished the other two tonight.  They were full of very tasty chicken strips.

I was just like a rag doll today.   Just dragging myself around and doing almost nothing.  Now I'm sitting here yawning and thinking about going to bed.

Jackie, I hope you are doing OK.

Mary Ann, Larry has an older brother who lives in Tulsa.  They and their large family like the area.  I hope she finds a nice place to live and is happy there.  As my kids used to say that if things didn't work out they could always come home and she probably feels the same way.

I enjoy all your posts.  But I think I'd better go get ready for bed.

Mary Ann

We have a white world this morning but I think it has quit snowing hard.  Tom had gone out earlier in the evening and it was not snowing so he was surprised when he left about 10 pm to find snow all over.  This morning it is 35 degrees.  I heard the hand shoveler and the plow should be here soon.  I think conditions will be good for Annie's party this afternoon but I am sure Tom is not going to grill on the front lawn!  The garage will work just fine - after he gets his car out.

I have showered and shampooed so I have that done and I am drying now.

While I was pulling my bed together, my buddy (Kendrick) came in for a scratch.  He is so quiet that I didn't notice him at first.  He lies down to make it easier for me to pet him.  He knows what he wants.  He's lying in his bed in this room now.

Jean, for some reason, I do not care for taco seasoning and fortunately it is not offered to me.  I know others in the family like tacos but no one has offered to take me there.  Tom likes Mexican food, which also is not a favorite of mine, but I go to the Mexican restaurant with him occasionally.  I have found something that is not strongly Mexican flavored.  I know I do not like spicy food.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Speaking of "Seattle Weather"..
When I lived in Port Townsend Washington
it was only about 50 Miles
north west  of Seattle,  but
the weather was very different. 

Due to living in the  Rain Shadow of
the Cascades Port Townsend was very dry
compared to Seattle. 
A rain shadow is a dry area
on the leeward side of a
mountainous area (away from the wind).
The mountains block the passage
of rain-producing weather systems
and cast a "shadow" of dryness
 behind them.

I liked living in Port Townsend for
a few months but then began to really
miss the changing seasons in New England.

Because I was brought up in
New England,  I couldn't adjust
to living with out the seasonal
changes.     

So much of  my liking where
I lived depended on what I was
use to growing up.. 

I think that is common for
most of us. 

So for a  few more weeks of
Winter,  I will just have to get
use to and dress for the cold
windy snowy weather here in Portland
Maine. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I know what you mean about the weather.  We also have four seasons here and I like it that way.  I think this Winter is starting out to be mild, but it's only mid-January and who knows what February and March will bring.  We have lovely Springs, tolerable Summers, beautiful Falls and usually cold Winters.  Norm grew to like warmth all year long and would have lived in Florida year round if Dot would have allowed!  He resented it when he had to sell his place and stay up here in the Winter.  On the other hand, I did not care for Florida and only went down there because of him and Dot.  The last few years, I also helped Jim drive down and back, another reason for going down.  Dot does not miss Florida, only her friends.

It's easy for me to say that now since I don't drive, but I still enjoy looking out the windows and seeing the white ground.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - People think we don't have seasons in California, but we do .. . just very subtle changes. Here in Northern CA, it gets very cold in the Winter compared to Southern CA.  I was born and grew up in the Los Angeles area, and we wore short sleeves and bobby socks throughout the Winter.  I always had a winter jacket, but it was light weight, compared to what I wear here in the North.  I remember the shock of my first cold winter, when I moved up here to go to college, at age 18!
I know you will have a great time today, at Annie's birthday dinner.  I'm wishing her lots of happiness, in her new job, and her new life in Tulsa.  :thumbup:

Sandy - We also live in a "rain shadow", here in the San Jose area.  The Santa Cruz Mountains,  blocks lots of rainfall here, just as the Cascades do for Port Townsend.  We do get more rain here in Los Gatos, than those in San Jose, because we live in the foothills of the SC Mountains and our elevation is higher.

Jean - I wish I could join you at the Outback, but as I've mentioned before, the one near us closed a couple of years ago.  I was never disappointed in the Alice Springs Chicken.  Always a satisfying meal, and reasonably priced.

Jenny - My special trip to The Hallmark Store, was a waste of time yesterday.  There were only a few Vera Bradley items left, and I didn't care much for them.  (What do I need with a backpack?) ha ha!  However, they were restocking for Spring, so there will be a new selection to look at soon. The store employees were busy setting up the Valentine's Day displays and a few for St. Patrick's Day  How quickly the seasons come and go!

Tome - I sent you an email last night, after I saw your message here.     

I'm getting a late start this morning, so I'd better have some breakfast and get organized. I'll return later.

maryc

Good morning everyone,  I'm late in getting here because I put together a nice big pot of Pasta fazool.  I have enjoyed it at The Olive Garden and decided a while ago to make my own. The recipe I use is from a site called Damm Delicious and it is delicious. It takes a bit of chopping and preparation but then all at once it comes together and smells so good simmering away on this snowy morning.  I always share this with my neighbor who takes care of the grass cutting and snow removal.  He claims it is the best of soups!!
  Mary Ann the storm has arrived from out your way.  The forecast is for snow overall our part of the state.

Sandy and Tomereader,I enjoyed your posts about Seattle weather.  It is a different climate for sure. I grew up here in the N.E. and still here with big swings of weather changes.  One thing I do miss from early childhood is the sight of mountains.  We moved from a town in the foothills of the Alleganys to Niagara Falls (very flat here)
when I was 10yrs and I have missed that sight.  We do have an Escarpment about a mile away which provides beautiful pictures of the changing seasons as the trees turn.
Jackie,I wrote yesterday about your remembrance of your dear Richard's birthday but something happened to my post.  Thinking of you.
Marilyne,Sorry you didn't make a "haul" at V.B. store.   Those prints are so pretty.
Mary C

Mary Ann

Sandy and Marilyn, I never heard of a "rain shadow" but I've never lived on the West Coast.  When I look at radar on Lake Michigan, there can be a lot of "weather" and by the time it gets inland, the weather has slowed to a trickle.  That's why they call them "weather guessers", I suppose (guess?).

Marilyn when you feel the NEED for a Vera Bradley bag, go online to their sale items; there are a lot more things than purses and backpacks.  I wanted one (not needed one) so bad I could taste it but I could not justify buying one based on what I already have.

Dot has baked Annie's birthday cake and Tom is going to pick her up because of the snow.  So far the plow has not been through and that is unusual - they're supposed to be here when there are 2" of snow in the morning.  This has happened during the week, so it isn't because today is Saturday.  Obviously someone is more important than we are!

MarsGal, if you happen to look in, there is a ship coming south on Lake Huron, headed for Toledo and will hit Port Huron later this afternoon - per the chatters.  I think it is the American Spirit - or words to that effect.

MaryC, you get a lot of "lake effect" snow in your area.  We get some, but I'm 35 miles from Lake Michigan and what we get is enough.  We get an average of 75" of snow each season.  I think one year, ages ago, we had 150 inches.  I don't live there now and all shoveling and plowing is done for us.  I have lived in or near Grand Rapids since I was 15 months old.  I was born in West Virginia.  Your pasta soup sounds so good!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good noon tidings from the Interior! I just got back from delivering my shut-ins box of federal commodities. For once, the box was full of canned veggies and fruit as well as six-packs of raisins. I also gave him my bags of dried cherries and cranberries. I just didn't have a real use for that many gallons.

They also included frozen pork chops, pork loin, and a pork shoulder, as well as a frozen chicken and a small beef roast. This box was unusually full, and he should eat well for a while. He always has attendants who clean, cook, and do personal care for him, so he's set for now. I used to have two others, I delivered food boxes twice a month, to, but they died.

As I was coming back upstairs, I saw Dixie and her son returning. Her injuries, all on the left side, were in that black stretchy material and weren't stitched but stapled or glued or whatever they do now. Her ribs were bruised, but the elbow gash was considered worse than the knee, so who knows, I'm not a medical person. I am glad to see her back and walking; however, as she's a good friend, she calls a spade a spade, sociable, and of similar views to me. There aren't that many here like that, unfortunately.

I hope Annie/Cate has/had a nice birthday and takes time to listen to her dad. We don't live in a Rainshadow that I'm aware of, but we're surrounded by multiple sets of foothills and four mountain chains that are the highest outside of Everest, so we're protected from most bad weather.

Mary Ann

The birthday party is over, we all had a good time and everyone has left.  Kendrick and I are alone.  I think he spent the time under my bed.  Annie invited her Uncle Jim, whom I had not seen in several years.  I think he is a hypochondriac but he's a good uncle to the kids.  Dot baked a box chocolate cake which was good and besides that we had chili and corn bread, neither of which I am too fond, so I'm glad it wasn't my birthday.

I took the little girls down to the piano and Ellie pounded on it but Jo was a bit more gentle.  I played Peter, Peter and Mary had a little lamb, but I was in competition with Jo and Ellie.  Eventually James sat with them and I went back upstairs.  I made it both up and down the stairs with no trouble.  Memories - when Tim would stop by to say 'hi', he'd always go down to play a little on the piano. 

It's possible with the change in housing in Tulsa that Annie may be going to the company house.  I got in the conversation at the very last and didn't ask questions as others were planning to leave.  I certainly hope she does.

Patricia, that's quite a parcel of food the man gets and I'm glad he has someone to cook for him.  It would be a shame to have all of those goodies go to waste.  And how nice to see Dixie walking.  She probably still has aches and pains.

Mary Ann

Joy

Mary Ann, I thought I was writing a response to your message about Annie's party here, but I wrote a message over in the Soda Shoppe.  Everyone will be wondering why I wrote something about the party when you hadn't mentioned it over there.  I sometimes get mixed up just which message page I am on.  A little bit of CRS !!!

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, don't worry about it; I'll go to the SS and say something.

I think I just watched the last ship come in from Lake Huron through Port Huron.  I doubt I'll see it go through Marine City as it would be near 10:30.  The ship is the American Century. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary C - Marilyne - Jenny - FlaJean...and anyone else i may have missed out..
...thank you and bless you for thinking of me on the Birthday of my Richard who was celebrating up in Heaven... yes we will always have these first milestones that hit us and our hearts.... i have cried every day, nine plus months now, i miss him so very much...
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

Morning all!

It doesn't look too pleasant out. After the snow and ice rain, it warmed up a bit overnight, but didn't melt much off. It is now 34o, but will drop a little later. I went out last evening after dark to get the plow's worst off the front of my driveway and the sidewalk. It was not much, but very heavy. Now, it looks like I am going to have a struggle to get the car cleared today. I did not go feed George's cats yesterday because it was snowing, and now it is icy. I don't look forward to going out in a bit to see what/if I can clear the ice to feed them today. If I get out, it will be a little later than they are used to. George lives across from a church with a small parking lot, so the street is often parked up. I don't want to be hunting a parking spot way down the street and then walk on icy sidewalks to get to his place. Tomorrow I will definitely have to go if I don't get out today.

Mary Ann, I saw American Century was way out on Lake Huron yesterday when I got up, but I forgot to check on its progress so missed it. It is now at Toledo Anchorage. The only ship I see on the lakes this morning is Algoma Innovator which is heading to Chicago. The St. Lawrence River has about a dozen ships moving on it this morning. I see one of them is an icebreaker heading for Quebec. I like to check the Quebec webcam at night because I think it is so pretty all lit up. The lighting looks all gold and crystal with a few pale aquamarine spots here and there.

Mary Ann

Dot called this morning that there would be no church today because of the weather so we are staying home.  I turned on the TV and have not seen any notice, but I'm not driving so it doesn't matter to me.  I just looked again and I still do not see the name of our church so I don't know where Dot got her information. 

MarsGal,  I know the lakes Michigan and Huron do have some freezing in very cold years but if things are clear, ships can go from one lake to the other.  That is if the Straits of Mackinac is open.  I think the ship will have no trouble getting to Chicago and I have seen where some were headed for Sturgeon Bay WI for winter lay up.

I hope you are able to get to George's cats before they run out of food.  I try to give Kendrick enough so he is near the bottom of the dish when I am ready to refill it.  We weighed him yesterday with Annie's help and he now weighs 20 pounds.  I don't want him to get any heavier but he is a BIG cat who gets no exercise. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, it isn't the food I worry about so much as the water, or more precisely the water pump in the water dishes. They have two, but if I go more than two days, the water is low enough for the pumps to suck air. I heard that is not good for the pump. Anyway, the snow/ice was still warm enough this morning to get it off easily. This afternoon, it is to go down into the 20s. I had to track down some salt for the sidewalk over at George's. I didn't trust it to melt and dry this afternoon as it was still pretty solid in front of his house.

I was really tempted to stop at the Yankee Doodle Family Restaurant on the way home for a John Wayne omelette, but then, once again, talked myself out of it. I bought a new carton of 18 eggs last week, so I had an egg and cheese sandwich instead. Saved myself some money and a ton of calories.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, I had not thought of a water pump for George's cats because I don't have one.  I change the water every night when I refill the food dish.  I have two dishes in a frame work placed on an old cookie sheet with sides and it is in the hallway from my bedroom to the computer room (actually a second bedroom).  It is by the door to the bathroom but I can't figure how I'd get a hookup to a water pump; I'll keep things as they are.  Kendrick is getting along fine, but I'm here every day so no one has to check on him.  When I'm gone, Tom takes over.  Kendrick has it good!

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Good afternoon, Every Bait and Tackler.  I've gone to SS and Church this morning with my friend Olyne who picks me up (I am still restricted from driving, although my nearby son has let me keep my 2002 Toyota.  He uses it to take me to doctor appointments and other things which he thinks he must accompany me to (he thinks I'll forget what I should tell the doctor!)  He usually takes notes and writes down what I SHOULD be doing.  I don't mind too much although I feel he underestimates my abilities!)

I'm feeling well today and will try to get out for a long chilly walk soon.  Tomorrow is Dr. Martin Luther King day here in Alabama and there will be no trash pick up until Tuesday.  Our trash men celebrate the King Day and have the day off.  So I need to remember that this evening and I will not take my trash cans down to the curb until early Tuesday morning.  I'll just have to be careful not to oversleep!

Have a nice day, Every One.  I hope you're having a nice holiday weekend.
Sue

Amy

SCFSue, I don't often post here but I had a chuckle at your post. Do you remember when we worried (and still do) About our children? Now, they are doing the worrying about us. They do forget that we have been there done that and now know the tricks to do it quicker or even get out of doing it!!  My point is you raised your son right.. :smitten:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

FlaJean

It is colder today.  Tonight it is supposed to go to 32F. Brrrr

We got a late start again today.  Larry got our taxes finished.  I looked them over and thn we  signed them.  We took a ride over to the post office and mailed them.  Lots of traffic on the road today which was surprising.  Usually Sundays are pretty quiet around here.

I have the fixings for a chicken macaroni casserole so I need to get busy pretty soon.  I can't decide whether to use grated Parmesan or sharp cheddar in the casserole.  I'll probably take a taste of each cheese then decide.

Patricia, did you ever decide what to do with all that dried fruit?  You got some new cooking pans are you getting more enthused about getting some meals prepared for your freezer?

Mary Ann, how was Tom's chili?  I know you mentioned you didn't care for chili, but I hope you enjoyed a little bit.

Marilyne, I think we have very similar weather to yours in that area of Calif., but we don't get those cold winds like they do in San Francisco.  We have been there several times and I always felt chilled from the wind.  We were there in Feb. once and another time in Oct.  My youngest grandson was born in Santa Cruz.  They have pretty nice weather there.

Jenny, how is your father these days?  I hope he has gotten completely over the fall he had awhile back.

Marsgal, I hope your ice soon melts.  I don't envy you the icy walkways.  Be careful out there.  I remember when we lived in Illinois how bad it got.  The maintenance man forgot to salt the walks and I went sliding down on my back.  I was not hurt but embarrassed, but I was young then.  I wouldn't want to have that fall now.

Joy, I hope you continue to feel better.  Jackie, I think of you often.  My son has MS and I know life isn't easy for you.

MaryC, I bet your neighbor enjoyed that hot soup.  Callie, I always enjoy your posts.  Glad you were able see your granddaughter in the Christmas program.

Well, I better get busy.  Hope everyone has a good day.  I always read and enjoy hearing from everyone but not much of a conversationalist. 😊

SCFSue

Good morning, Bait and Tacklers.  I am home from SS and Church, have fixed and eaten lunch and cleaned up my kitchen.  I plan to bundle up soon and get outside for my daily walk, then settle down in my Den for some reading time.  My young friend, Eddie, took me to the library and to Kroger on Friday, so I have plenty to read this week. 

I treated Eddie to lunch at a nearby local restaurant.  While we were eating I saw a display of items that children might like--(for giveaways)--and remembered the young couple down the street from me with 2 little girls.  The oldest is a first grader this year.  I picked up one of the giveaways and after Eddie brought me home, I walked down to their house.  Their Mom was out shopping and their Dad was babysitting.  When they saw the give aways they didn't hesitate to take them from their Dad and immediately took the puzzles and went straight into the next room and started working on the puzzles.  I'm glad I found them as I could tell they were happy to get them!

Not much else going on here today except I'd like to get out for a nice walk.  I need to finish cleaning up my lunch dishes and will get outside soon (after I bundle up!).

Have a nice day, Bait and Tacklers!
Sue

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I haven't commented since reading about your successful party yesterday for Annie's birthday.  It sounds like it was lots of fun for everyone, and especially for Ellie and Jo,  "learning" to play the piano!  :D    I didn't realize you had a piano, and knew how to play?   We have the same situation here.  Our piano is downstairs in the family room, where nobody ever goes,  and no one in the family  knows how to play it, except for  me.  I was never very proficient or talented, but I can read music, so used to enjoy playing some oldies once in a while for my own enjoyment.  I would say that it's been 20 years since I last sat down and pecked away at a piece of music.  I know my twisted arthritic hands could no longer play at all now.

Also, it makes me feel bad that no one in the family ever learned to play.  My two girls took lessons, but their interests went to other things, and unfortunately we let them quit.  None of my six grandchildren ever took lessons on the piano, or any other instrument.  Children nowadays, are busy with sports teams,  or dance and gymnastics.  It's a whole different world from when we were young.

Jean - I've also noticed that our weather is very similar to yours.  I do think that you have warmer winters.  We occasionally get a few winter days that get to 65 degrees, but rarely get any warmer.   December and January are our coldest and wettest months, with nighttime temps in the 30's and low 40's, and daytime in the 40's and 50's.   I look forward to February, because that's the beginning of Spring, here.  By Valentines Day,  trees are leafing  out, and some are blossoming.  Right now my Camellia is in full bloom, but the Azalea isn't quite ready yet.

Mars Gal - so nice of you to take such good care of George's cats, when he's out of town.  :thumbup:   I've seen those water-pump cat bowls at Petco, but not sure how they work?   Yankee Doodle Family Restaurant, sounds interesting.  I'm know we don't have any here in Northern CA, but maybe in the Los Angeles area. 

SCFSue - That was very thoughtful of you to take the puzzles to the two little girls in your neighborhood.  I also agree with Amy, that your son takes good care of you!  Also, your friend Eddie, is nice to take you to the grocery store and the library.  I would hate to give up my car, but I know the time will come - probably sooner than I want it to!

Jackie - I know Richard's birthday was hard for you, and I hope you're feeling a little better today.

Amy - Nice to see you here!

Mary Ann

What a nice feeling to read so many posts since my last one.  I just got up from a nap and Kendrick did not get on the bed, preferring his own bed in this room. 

Sue, I feel there are more things that I can do for myself, but Tom insists on doing them for me -so I let him.  You were nice to treat the neighbor girls with the giveaways. 

Marilyn, I never completed my piano lessons; I did so well as a beginner, the teacher had me skip a grade into scales.  I did not like the scales, so convinced my mother to let me quit lessons.  Both of my parents played the piano.  My dad was self-taught and did not have lessons until he was 30 years old when he wanted to learn more about the ins and outs of music.  Mother learned as a child and was more accomplished. They used to play duets for the PTA meetings occasionally.  I played violin in grade school and had a school instrument. When time came to go to high school, my folks had a chance to buy that violin but it was in the mid 30s and money was scarce and they could not afford to buy it, so that was the end of my musical training.  Norm played the baritone and trombone.  Dad put an extension on the slide so Norm could reach certain notes.  He was in the band at school and he and friends had a little band of their own. 

I footed music lessons for both James and Annie when they were young and James has continued to play the guitar, mostly at his church.  I found out recently that Alicia plays the violin so we think it is natural that the twins will take lessons.  I asked James and Alicia today, via e-mail, if they are ready for me to get the girls a keyboard because they will be three in early February. Seeing they're portable, the parents could put the keyboard aside for peace and quiet and I know they wouldn't be playing it all of the time.  Since I don't go downstairs much (I proved I could make it up and down) I don't get to play the piano.  When I was alone and did my own laundry, I would sit at the piano and I played mostly hymns - easy ones.  I cannot stretch to an octave but I can hit most of the keys if I look at what I am doing. 

Jean, I'm no expert on chili but Tom's was as good as what he buys at Wendy's.  I just don't like spicy foods.  No one complained about it and I know others do like chili; I'm the oddball!  Your chicken macaroni casserole sounds good.  I would use sharp cheddar in the recipe.

I hope I haven't left any unanswered questions, if so, ask again.

My bum shoulder is bothering me today.  Arthritis.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, I didn't know the Straights of Mackinac froze over. I thought there was a space there below the islands that is deep. Never paid much attention to that area. My Grandma was the only one who managed to get to Mackinac Island for a visit. If I remember correctly, she said cars were not allowed on the island.

Marilyne, the water fountain cat water dishes are easy to put together, but they can be a pain to clean. The pump needs taken out and cleaned on occasion and sometimes the edges get dirty from the cats. Shan, for example, likes to hang out at the water dish. I've actually seen him asleep with his head propped on the edge. The big round one has a central pole from which the water flows. He likes to put his front two paws on the top of that and hang down over the edge to catch the water. It is actually too big for them. I thought they would like a big bowl to share water at the same time. Silly me. They will have none of that sharing business.

The Yankee Doodle is a locally owned restaurant. It started out as Yankee Doodle Diner, then was renamed when it moved next door to bigger accommodations. They have always served great omelettes. They changed hands again, but I am not sure who has it now. They remodeled a little to include a bar and now serve many Mexican dishes. The omelettes are still good. but the atmosphere had changed some. Saturday and Sunday mornings are always packed since they have room for meeting groups.

Jean, I think it stayed warmer than the weatherman stated. I just looked out the window about 15 minutes ago and it looks like the wet spots are only now freezing up again. We did get a wee bit of sun this afternoon. I am pleased that my walk had dried off. Since I didn't find George's shovel, I didn't try to clear any of his ice patch off, just put down the deicer. 

I guess I will go claim my recliner before the cats discover no one is on it now. Usually by the time I am done with dinner, it has been claimed.