Random Image

bevi

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

angelface555

angelface555

Astro

Indeed Bubble is helpful.

Marilyne

Patricia - It's hard to be positive, but it's the only way to handle this situation. Sorry that the Coronavirus has arrived in Fairbanks, but likely won't spread out of control.  I think the folks in Alaska, learned a valuable lesson from what has happened here in the lower 48.  Not sure what's happening in Hawaii?  Last I looked, they had zero cases, but that was about three days ago.

Mary Ann - I learned about the Spanish Flu of 1918, in history class at school.  I came home and asked my Mother if she and her mom and two brothers all caught it at that time?   She laughed, and said they were living in the remote mining town of Ely, Nevada, in 1918, and the flu epidemic never arrived there!  Probably even today, people living in remote areas are safe from Coronavirus.  I doubt if Ely will be safe from this one.  Interstate I-50 runs through town now, so lots more people coming and going. (Although the town looks pretty much as it did in 1918.)

Does anyone remember a flu epidemic in the late 1940's, that was named Virus-X?  I remember it well, as it was the first flu I ever had.  I was about 11 or 12, and recall that the whole family was sick at the same time. It was brutal!

I talked to Shelley earlier, and she and Claire are doing better today.  Claire has been sleeping almost constantly, and is still running a low fever of little over 100.  They have "Shelter in Place" in their town also - I think the entire State of California is required to follow the Shelter guidelines now.

Beverly - I hope we hear from you today, that the three girls are home again - safe and sound?             

Hello to you, Astro!  Just now saw your post.

angelface555

Every country and every continent save Antarctica has cases of Covid-19. Hawaii had its first case on March sixth. On the sixteenth, they had seven cases. Twentyone hours ago, it had swelled to forty-eight.

In Alaska, in eight days, it went from one to 24 jumping to two or three more each day with the majority in the Interior. That is why we're in lockdown.

For example, a large New Jersey family, 22 members, the Fuscos sat down to dinner, March tenth; with a friend, John Brennan who was the first one in the state to contract the virus and the first to die in New Jersey. Within hours four members of the family tested positive for the virus and died.

Three other family members tested positive remain hospitalized in critical condition. Other members are in quarantine. Some of their results have come back positive.

Mary Ann

Last week James sent me a picture of Johanna playing the piano.  The girls celebrated their third birthdays and as a combination gift, I gave them a keyboard.  Johanna has shown interest in playing the piano but Ellie likes to play jazz (Ha).  I am going to try to send the picture to Bubble.  I even noticed a bit of motion on the picture and Tom just set up Skype for me to communicate with James' family and the girls.  The picture will be in Seniors & Friends, a discussion group I am part of.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Quote from: angelface555 on March 22, 2020, 12:11:55 PM
............I am glad that I had medicine for my sinus infection and ear infection, so that protection may have helped when I was out and about. My desktop computer is in limbo with HP investigating, so they tell me; what happened. However, I wonder how or if it will be returned via FEDX.

When my HP Laptop was new it had a problem. It went back three times. Each time they had me do extensive, time consuming "tests". HP never did fix the problem but extensive internet searching found the problem. The fix was to install a lacking file. The funny part is that it was a HP file that fixed it. Been working well since only needing a recent battery replacement (expensive  :(  )
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Joy

It is getting late,  but I wanted  to add my birthday wishes to Jackie.  Hope you were able to enjoy the day.
  Joy
BIG BOX

Beverly

Here I am at almost 11:00! I imagine most of you are in bed.

Joy - Nice to see a post from you when I first came in.

Mary Ann - The girls very well could have an interest in music. I think that encouraging them at an early age is good. It would be fun for you to have Skype so you can interact with them. They are at a cute age now.

A couple of days ago I had the nicest surprise. My great-grands, Kae, age 13 and Evan, age 8 wrote me letters in their own writing. My granddaughter took photos of the letters and e-mailed them to me. Evan's letter amazed me for someone his age, though it was a lot shorter than Kae's.  :) She's so grown up now.

Patricia - This virus spreads so quickly. My daughter in Vermont just told me that one of the nursing homes up there has 12 cases and a few days ago had none.

Chape and I have decided to self-quarantine.....no leaving the house and no-one coming here. With our medical conditions it's not worth the risk. We'll be ordering our groceries etc. to be delivered. We can still go for a ride and get to see some of the outside world! Right now, Chape is being kept busy with installing the new floor in our office (it's almost finished) and setting up his new desk.

Marilyne - I'm glad Shelley and Claire are feeling better. Sleep is a good healer and Claire probably needs it. I hope her temperature continues downward. We have so much evidence of the Spanish Flu of 1918 in Vermont. The older graveyards have stones that list whole families who died from it. My mother was born in 1918. She had many older brothers and sisters (she was one of 16) and not one of the family died. They lived on a very rural farm on a back road. Chape's maternal grandfather was stationed at an army base in New Jersey and he died.

I'm not going to try mentioning everyone tonight as I should be in bed and want to give an update on Lauri and her daughters.

When they got to the airport in Bangkok this morning they were told Brynn could not get on the plane! The airport doctor wouldn't give his okay. Shea became very upset and started crying (for fear that they couldn't go home). Lauri decided she would stay with Brynn and send Shea home. After much pleading and another set of X-Rays they consented to her flying. They flew to Doha, Qatar (nearly 8 hrs.) and will fly to Boston tomorrow morning. The Qatar airport is very nice......They will spend the night in a "quiet room" where they sleep in recliners. Then the staff will wake them up in the morning and serve them breakfast. Hopefully tomorrow will go on without a glitch. I will be so glad when I hear they're in Boston!

Hope you all have a good night!

Beverly

Happy Birthday Jackie!

May this be a good year for you!

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy - Patricia - Beverly...
...thank you so much for my Birthday wishes...Patricia your card is lovely and i know your special day wont be too far away, i am just that tad bit older than you...Beverly, oh, i so hope so...

I had NO happy Birthday from my daughter, so much for bailing her out from bailiffs with a hefty amount of my dead Richards money, never again...As my late father often would say to me..." we live and learn girl..." we sure do...

Nor even a card from Richards sister age 84, she always posted one which came a day or two before my Birthday... i have now completely been pushed out of his family...oh well, whats to be will be..

Edited to add....i spoke at distance at my front door to my Riverford organic box delivery driver 8.30 am, when a couple of residents walking there dog, ( who have never given me the time of day ) spoke to him as they saw his delivery van parked opposite, and obviously inquiring about his home deliveries whereby he told them his loyal registered customers come first...once the word gets around on my parkhome site i will be the envy of the site ( no one has ever come near me to check on me since i lost my Richard, apart from one person and she has not been near me now for weeks ) and they will all be wanting to jump on the bandwagon.. I have been his only onsite customer, that i do know as the delivery van comes in to me then goes straight out again as i am the first home...
We had a lengthy chat at distance at the front door where he told me that we are the only country going crazy at stockpiling our foods....It seems that UK is each to their own with an " I'm alright Jack " attitude...
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

Happy Birthday, Jackie. I am glad you got your food order this morning. I expect there are many who still remember the rationing and shortages during WWII, so I am not surprised about the hoarding there. But we are seeing it here too. People are overbuying and creating shortages for those, like me, who haven't. I even saw an article that people are stocking up on guns and ammo. and, of course, there are the thieves taking carts and items from others carts (in some cases after they were paid for).

I am thinking, not too enthusiastically, of going to the grocery store today or Wednesday. I am low on margarine, cereal and juice. Hardly seems worth the chance I'd be taking. Also, I discovered that my battery went dead on my thermometer. I'll need to get a new one or a new thermometer if there are any left.

Mary Ann, more ships are starting to make their moves towards the Soo Canal with destinations to Burns Harbor and Duluth, among others. There should be a few to see today on the St. Clair.

Vanilla-Jackie

MarsGal...
... oh what a selfish world that we live in ( not all are selfish i must add, there are still a lot of good people who look out for others) but to thieve items from somebodies grocery carts, whether before or after when all is paid for is the lowest of the lowest...
...Thank you for my belated Birthday wishes..

Mary Ann

Thanks, Bubble, for posting the picture of Johanna.  I have not been able to  see the girls for some time.  I know they still have Child Care but I think most other contacts are nil.  Tom has gone to baby sit. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Looked in on Port Huron and found a white-out. Looks like Marine City had some light snow too. In the meantime, the Coast Guard are out checking and clearing the St. Mary's River. I don't see hide nor hare of Roger Blough, but it looks like Burns Harbor intends on being, if not first through, close to it. Several others on Lake Huron heading up. Got two or three tugs/ships heading up Detroit River, so there should be something to see later, maybe around 2pm at Algonac.

No grocery shopping today. I don't have the mental energy to get me out the door for such a short list. So, another load of laundry and dishes and whatever else strike me that need, or I feel like, doing. Will check on George's cats again tomorrow. They do okay if I skip them a day now and again.

Beverly

The end of my saga is near! At 6:30 this morning EST Lauri and the girls were over Sweden. They should be landing in Boston before long.

Jackie - There is so much hoarding going on here! The panic buying of toilet paper has become the topic of many conversations and jokes. Hopefully it will slow down soon.

Mary Ann - I'm on my way to look at the picture.

angelface555

Good morning from an Interior on the third day of blowing wind and snow! So far, we've had seven inches and are told perhaps as much as seven more today. Farrah is very bored with no one in the hallways visiting and nothing off the balcony but blowing snow. She follows me about, closely watching me for something, any little bit of entertainment.

Rick, the issue with my computer is HP first arguing with me about who was to pay for shipping a computer on warranty. Then after it was repaired, FEDX took three extra days to return it to me, eight in all due to a snowstorm four hundred miles from me. When I finally had it back, it was a different computer that was still broken. Back to HP, it went.

HP then notifies me that this computer I sent them was not the one I owned, and they would be returning it to me unrepaired. Unfortunately, their virtual assistant was more for sales then assistance, and their online support was down due to heavy usage...

I finally was able to have a four-hour phone conversation with an actual human who after meticulously triple checking everything I told him said they would open a case. That is where it stands. You can bet that I took his name and employee number as well as requesting and receiving a copy of our phone conversation via email.

Now with Covid-19, they are probably closed, and I have had no word since. My computer is off warranty on April 4th but I have all the info dating back through late October 2019. At least I kept records.

They just sent everyone an email here stating that Security would no longer be simply reminding folks who settled in the social rooms of the lockdown rules but would as of today be issuing fifty dollar lease violations. If you receive three of those per lease rules you are summerly evicted.

We are only to be out of our apartments to do laundry, collect mail, or enter and leave the building. Only CNAs, people listed as emergency contacts, or medical respondents allowed in.  All correspondence and deliveries are available in the security offices as they're not allowed further in the building.

I'm unable to see friends, but we talk on the phone daily, and all seem to be doing well even with staying home.  I'll be glad whenever this ends. I see that there have been some breakthrus in mapping the virus and working on a universal vaccination.

angelface555

Bev, I'm so glad that soon everyone will be back home or at least in Boston!

MaryAnn, Jo is darling! Both my sisters and my daughter have/had that same color and type of curls, as did many in my extended Irish family.

MarsGal, I'll be heading over to the cams soon. I've spent most of my time on cams viewing trains or city streets in various states or countries. I've also been on a few past YouTube travels across country or across the seas on ships, planes or trains.

There are several Youtube views of animals around the world moving into city streets and pollution clearing in many areas without regular human traffic.

angelface555

Please forward this to those who need to know!

"‼️ATTENTION📢📢
You cannot, I repeat you CANNOT get coronavirus from your pets. People are dumping their animals at shelters out of ignorance and fear-please please post this on your page. Don't share it from my page, that limits the number of people that will see it. Please re-post this on your page and get the word out before more animals are abandoned. We are preparing for an onslaught of cats at a time when we are not able to adopt them out. Not to mention it's kitten season, and we're not able to take them either. Please help!!!! I don't understand how people give up their fur babies. They need you more than ever at this time. All shelter animals need your help! If you CAN adopt, foster, or even donate to your local animal shelter it would be much appreciated!!"

Vanilla-Jackie

They say it will be a year before a vaccine could be ready for the C - Virus..China, Europe and United States are all battling on being the first to find one...

Beverly...
...same here, hoarding up on toilet paper...i think that would be the least of my worries...also the least of my priorities..

Patricia...
... oh how callous of some pet owners..cats and dogs are family too...

angelface555

"The increase in cases in Spain came as the US scrambled to tackle the coronavirus pandemic amid blunt warnings that time and resources are running out, with the number of confirmed cases in the country rising above 35,000.

By Sunday night, the US had overtaken Spain to become the third most-affected country, behind China and Italy, with the US death toll standing at 417.

Political leaders in New York – where about half the US cases have been reported – told the White House that people in the region felt abandoned and vulnerable.

Bill de Blasio, the mayor of New York City, said hospital supplies including ventilators, masks and surgical gloves would be exhausted within 10 days, while Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York state, warned that up to 80% of his state's population of almost 20 million was at risk of contracting the virus.

And there were fears of a coming change in the Trump administration's strategy to fight the virus, when the president tweeted: "We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself."'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/spain-distributes-650000-testing-kits-as-coronavirus-deaths-rise-steeply

Vanilla-Jackie

Oh boy, just looked in, its worse than ever, no let up in sight..how on earth are we ever going to beat this...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

FlaJean

Beverly, good news about the girls.  I know how you feel.  My son and wife arrived back safely from Calif. last night.  My son texted me as soon as they got home so we wouldn't worry.

Another nice day.  Tomorrow Walmart is having seniors only shopping from 6 to 7am and Publix is having seniors shopping from 7 to 8am.  I'll have to see what we need and make a list and maybe we can get a few things on the list.  Larry was out talking to the neighbor awhile ago and I noticed they were keeping about 10 feet away from each other.

Joy, nice to know that you are still improving.

Marsgal, I did check one of the shipping sites yesterday and the only place I saw snow was in Duluth, but haven't checked today.  I didn't see any ships.

I did read that Sen. Klobuchar from MN wrote that her husband is in the hospital with Coronavirus.  Sen. Rand Paul was tested and didn't bother to tell anyone and then got a positive result.  Consequently, several other senators are in quarantine because of him not being careful.  I read they are pretty upset with him.

Mary Ann, what a precious photo of your great niece.  

Marilyne, hope daughters are doing OK.

We are living in bad times.  May this be over sooner rather than later, but it doesn't sound good.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon or maybe I should say "Merriest Monday possible",

I can give a "good" report about some people in NYC.  Miss Ellen and 3 roomies "deep cleaned" their apartment last week and began staying in. So far, they are allowed to go out for groceries and pharmacy; grocery store is right across the street so they don't have to take public transportation or walk very far.
 However, she said the trains (subway)was being cleaned and sanitized before the restrictions were in effect. She also says the building superintendent is sanitizing the lobby, elevator and stair rails almost every day.
I knew Ellen had a library card from the NYC Metro library.  Her Dad posted a link on her Facebook page about the availability of 300,000 ebooks, etc. on loan from there.  Her reply was, 'Oh, yeah! I'm in heaven!"
Down side is that all 4 girls lost their hourly wage jobs.  Ellen's parents thought that might be so they could apply for unemployment - now being allowed there for hourly workers.  I don't know if any of them have tried that.

Beverly,  so glad your girls are on their way to the USA.

Mary Ann,  the picture of Jo is absolutely precious.  Love the way she has her ankles neatly crossed.  When Ellen was that age, I would sit at the piano with her on my lap and have her put her fingers on mine. Then she could "play" along with me.  Also had her sit beside me at the treble end of the keyboard and "play the snowflakes falling" while I played "Away In A Manger". She always played a gentle "tune".
Did the same thing with Miss Emily but soon learned it was better to have her at the bass end and ask her to play for the Wooden Soldiers to march.  ;D
Sir Carson wasn't interested at all.

Called to tell hairdresser I wouldn't be in (again) tomorrow and asked how the shop was doing.  She said there were still a few customers coming in but she'd heard that if there might be a rule coming that any store in the little strip mall seen open would be fined.
I wonder if that's the same kind of rumor as the one about martial law being declared because the National Guard had been called out.

Onward and Upward...

angelface555

Mary Ann

Good for the kitty,  he tried as hard as the others. 

Mary Ann

Beverly

I'm going to watch Antiques Roadshow in a few minutes and then Hometown on HGTV. An exciting Monday evening.. :)

Today was Chape's 86th birthday. No big celebration but he had a tasty little dessert.

Yesterday was our youngest daughter, Lisa's, birthday. She turned 54. Not much celebrating anywhere as most people are staying home.

Jean - Glad to hear your son and his wife are back home. Florida has joined the lockdown states.......I heard that some of the Spring Breakers are testing positive now that they're home.

Callie - Your grandaughter and her roommates are showing good sense. Not being able to bring in a paycheck will be difficult. A lot of places are letting tenants put off rent payments for a few months.

Vanilla-Jackie

We had our first death three days ago at our County Hospital Dorchester, a 72 year old lady who was being cared for with underlying conditions..I feel this C - Virus " is just the tip of the iceberg.."