Random Image

Winter Solstice

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:43:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

Thanks, Tom, for letting us know about Mary Ann.  We hope and pray that something can be done about the pain.  We sure miss her posts.

Vanilla-Jackie

Tom Tock, bless you for taking the time on informing us about Mary Ann..please send her my wishes all the way from UK...

Jackie..
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

Tom - We all miss your Aunt Mary Ann, and hope that she will be back with us as soon as possible.  Tell her we're all sending prayers and positive thoughts to her.  Please come back when you have time, and give us an update on how she's doing?  Thank you so much.

Denver

So happy to have so many nice posts to read from ALL of you. 

JACKIE, I have to tell you I shed tears of joy, reading your posts that were full of good news today.  So pleased about your walk...pigeon steps are just fine.  Seeing the Pheasant Family....great timing!  The news of the telephone lady that will check on you each day.....getting your delivery.....one day at a time....baby steps.....you are doing your best to do for yourself and I am very proud of you 😘

JEAN, I am sad to read that Jason had to return to the hospital, and as always my continued thoughts and prayers for him and the entire family🙏🙏

MARILYNE, I had a rough morning when I saw the cars streaming into the golf course again today....our governor has locked us all down....only essential places, (NOT GOLF COURSES) are allowed to be open and yet those SPECIAL few choose to go out and be out of their "bubble"!  My son is working to care for HIS patients in spite of the dreaded chance that HE could catch the virus and bring it home to HIS family....which is very concerning with Michele with her very vulnerable low immune system😢😢  We are all in this together and it hurts to see the selfish individuals out there acting like nothing is going on with our country in such a dire situation right now!  Thank you for letting me vent! 

Than you, Tom, for the update on Mary Ann. I am sad to learn that she is suffering so with the leg pain, but I am glad that this decision to bring in hospice to help her through this.  Positive thoughts and continued prayers for her and I hope she can improve and no longer need the hospice care. 

We played Yahtzee with Dave, Michele and kiddos yesterday, thanks to iPads and today we had a group party with ALL of the sons and their families.  Boy did that ever lift my spirits🥰🥰🥰🥰

I wish you ALL a very good night of rest and may you wake up to a beautiful Monday 🦋🦋🦋

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Managed to get myself outside for a short walk again..i find it harder getting down the steep slope than getting myself back up again..Not sure what was different this morning but i sat on the bench at the bottom for just a few minutes and looked at the large high trees in our small woodland area, saw a squirrel running up the trunk and a bird at a hole in the trunk half way up and its movements were telling me inside this hole it was feeding its young... I just love being out amongst nature and listening to the birds, and for the first time in ages i felt some contentment, even with this C-V going around our world..I know this is happening for a reason, and i know our world will learn a valuable lesson, and maybe our world we be a better world than it was before...well at least for us who survive this devastation..

Well i never heard my organic vegi box delivery man come this morning, must have been a different driver as when i went out my box was on my doorstep as instructed but i never heard him knock...I was-am one of the luckier ones, i am the only person who has this organic delivery on this parkhome site, and they are now only looking after their own customers, and amongst my now secured weekly regular with them orders, they are safeguarded as a regular customer, i can now have a weekly fruit-veg and meat supply personally delivered and now left on my doorstep rather than handed direct to me...
I also have a good supply of one packet soups and one packet porridge oats of varying flavours from  a couple of different mail order companies as foodstuff in UK is still very hard to get hold of to order, and then they are limiting 2 or 3 of those items to each customer, plus weeks to wait for deliveries with some...Oh and i also have a few freezer microwave ready meals at hand...

Joy

Yes, I am home. Just will take some time to get my strength back.  Still very tired and today will be busy with nurse visit and I have a video visit with my primary care doctor. 

Glad to see Tom's message about Mary Ann. But, so sorry that she is still having the leg pain.  Hope the new meds will help.

I woke up about 5 and couldn't go back to sleep, so decided to get on the computer.  I will get some breakfast and then wait for my DIL to come over and stay while I take  my shower.  Just will feel better if she is in the apartment.  Yesterday, I had a very stressful situation. Evidently, I accidently hit my alert button and all of a sudden two EMT's knocked on the door with the ambulance. That was so upsetting.  And, then 2 of my son's came in the door.  They were all so relieved when they found out I was ok.  The EMT's were very nice and said it was no problem, they were just happy that I was ok.  But, I was up-set the rest of the day.  I just have the alert button laying beside me now.  I understand that it is very sensitive.  I have no idea what I did to make it go off.

I did not go back and read the old messages, so I just hope that everyone is doing well.  I will check back when I have more time.

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

I thought I had enlarged the type, but I see it didn't work.

Sorry about that.

Joy
BIG BOX

MarsGal

My thoughts are with everyone and their families this morning. Although my routine is not much different that before (something of a homebody here), I am still feeling stressful. So far I know, everyone in my extended family seems to be holding up okay, although we haven't heard from our cousins yet.

JeanneP

Joy. No it did work. Your post perfect size. I just think it wants you to go through changing it every time you post.mine is that way.
tom. Thanks for the report on Mary.ann. My mother had the same problem. Now in the UK they called it Thrombosus. Was painful bad swelling and they use to drain the fluid off it . Glad you are getting help
JeanneP

FlaJean

Joy, I'm glad you are home and doing ok.  I guess that was quite a shock with all the commotion when you accidentally hit that button.  At least it's good to know they will be right there in an emergency.

It is a lovely day here.  Very quiet and everyone seems to be keeping their distance in our area.

Washing clothes today and they will soon be finished and ready for the dryer. 

Jenny, what a nice time you and the family had over the iPads playing games.

There really isn't much to write about.  Callie, I added the New York City harbor to my webcams but didn't see the hospital ship, Comfort, until after it had docked.  Did you see it docking?

Jackie, it's good to hear you are getting outside some and so good that you are getting the once a week delivery.

Better go and put the clothes in the dryer.  Thinking of you all at this time.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - If you have a chance to look into B&T - be assured that we are all praying for your recovery!  I'm thinking about you and sending love, and wishing you strength and determination!   

Joy - I can well imagine how embarrassed and upset you were when you saw the EMT's at the door and realized what had happened.  I know I would have felt mortified!  :-[  It's probably something that happens to people living alone, more often than we realize . . . but still, when it happens, it's a shock!

Jackie - your veggie box sounds good, and will last you a long time.  I wish we had something like that, but we don't.  We do have delivery from grocery stores, but the time slots are booked up for weeks ahead.  We do have a couple of temporary "drive-through" stores, that have been set up outside of restaurants. You call and order staple items like bread, eggs, milk, and use your credit card.  Then drive up and someone loads it into your trunk.   We haven't tried it yet, but will have to do it very soon.  We're running out of everything, all at once! 

Jean - I hope you have heard that everything is okay with Jason?  Oh, what a terrible time for him to have to go back to the hospital!   Of course, no time is a good time, when you are so sick.

MarsGal - I saw your message that George will be going back to his other house this coming week.  Well, the good part for you, is that going to feed his cats will get you out for awhile, and you won't have to interact with anyone.

Jenny - I was surprised to see that your golf courses are open.  Ours have been closed down in California, as you probably know from your Golf Pro son, who lives near Sacramento.  All recreational areas like city and county parks and beaches, and trails have been closed here, with barricades closing off the large parking areas.  However this past week people managed to go to those places anyway!  >:(    They parked their cars on the nearby streets, and walked in.  The joggers and bikers were especially determined, which I don't understand, because they could jog or bike anywhere?  Grrrr!!  The weather has been wet, rainy and cold, but it doesn't stop people.  I can imagine how bad it will be when things start warming up later this week.  ::)

CallieOK

Good Afternoon from another gloomy rainy day in central Oklahoma.
Surely was nice to have a sunny day yesterday and be able to have some patio time.  Had seen a hummingbird while eating breakfast and gotten the feeder hung.  It visited a couple of times while I was sitting out.

Jean, Well, piffle!  I knew the Comfort was due in today but hadn't seen a time.  Missed its arrival but found it on the harbor Port webcam.  Looks impressive.
Quite a few ships going up and down the St. Clair River. Do you see the chat for the three web cams?  I finally figured out how to backtrack to see ships I missed. 

Marilyne,  golf courses and parks are also open here - but playground and exercise equipment are taped off and people are expected to honor the distance spacing.

Jenny, I share your concern for Dr. Dave and family. He and all the health workers who are so diligently trying to help are True Heroes/Heroines.

Joy, so happy to know you're home.  "Oops" on the accidental EMT summons! They're A Good Thing but I suspect I might do that a lot if I had one 

Jackie,  Hooray for the vegie box and continuing to go for a walk and enjoy nature.  There's a small creek and lots of trees/bushes behind the back fence and I  really enjoy watching birds and sometimes critters from the "wall of windows" that looks out that way.

Marsgal,  I'm also a homebody and have had no problem staying in.  Do wish the weather wasn't so wet so I could go outside more often. 

I had cancelled housecleaning - even though company owner said the team would be wearing protective things and would distance.  Since I have no pets and haven't been able to keep windows open because of weather and allergies, things aren't that dirty and I can handle the things that need attention.

Was pulling out cleaning supplies from a lower cabinet this morning and found a sack at the very back of the shelf containing 14 8-track tapes.  Thought they might have belonged to my sons but discovered they're probably ones hubby and I enjoyed.  Don't think our sons would have had "The Dorsey brothers".  ;) There are several c/w ones, though and those were popular when oldest son was in h.s. 
I'll make a list and share with them to see who wants what.

I think a girl from Oklahoma has made it to the Battle Rounds on "The Voice". She wasn't on them last week so might be on tonight.  I don't always keep up with the time so best go set the DVR just in case.

Oh...almost forgot....Merry Monday, Everyfriend  :smitten:

JeanneP

I just can't get in the mood for housework. got lots of things laying around in living room as playing with all the Tech.stuff I have put aside for a long time. I make sure bed room,Kitchen and Bath all cleaned up daily and as only one living here it O.K.
Come summer and going to have a company just come in and clean the place from top to bottom. I will feel good then. Rugs are bad and drapes need cleaning.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on March 30, 2020, 01:05:59 PM..........
Joy - I can well imagine how embarrassed and upset you were when you saw the EMT's at the door and realized what had happened.  I know I would have felt mortified!  :-[  It's probably something that happens to people living alone, more often than we realize . . . but still, when it happens, it's a shock! .....................................
Don't feel embarrassed or feel bad about the false alarm. Responding is why they're there. If nothing else it should be re-assuring that help is just a click away.
I've had a couple/few instances to call the EMTs recently (last year or two) and must say they are the most understanding, caring, people around.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Tomereader1

A friend of mine has one of those emergency necklaces, which is also very sensitive. When she would accidently trip hers, first she would get a phone call,asking if she was needing EMT assistance.  If not, of course, she would tell them how it accidentally got tripped, so no EMTs show up.

angelface555

My device flashes orange, rings a loud tone and then an operator comes on line all through my device.

FlaJean

We are finally getting our rain—-along with some wind.

Thinking about Mary Ann and wishing her a peaceful day.

We watched a good movie on Netflix last night "Queen of the Desert" starring Nicole Kidman.  I mentioned it in the TV folder.  There isn't much to do except watch TV, cook meals and straighten up, but it could be a lot worse so don't want to complain.

Yesterday was Larry's birthday, but he didn't even want to think about it.  He did hear from the kids.

Won't be getting outside today.  Looks like it will be raining most of the day.  Hope all of you are hanging in there.

Tomereader1

Speaking of cooking meals...awhile back I had made a gigantic pot of the Cajun 15 Bean mix. (brand name is HamBeans and yes I put ham in there.  It makes tons.  So after eating my fill, I froze the rest.  Thawed out a day or so ago, today I had a large bowl of the beans with cornbread.  I use Jiffy mix most often, but my regular complaint is that the cornbread is too crumbly.  (prepared as recipe on box says).  Is there a fix for this? something I could add to make it more cake-like? I used to have a great "from scratch" recipe that baked up just as I like it, from one of the flour companies; White Wing?? Anyway, crumbly or not, my lunch was great.  We had a cold snap hit, after several days of 70's/80's, so this lunch hit the spot!

Beverly

Just stopping in to say Good Night.

Jean - We're finally getting the rain tonight.

Mary Ann - If you are looking in, we're thinking of you and miss you!

Vanilla-Jackie

I know we are all trying to stay positive ( which i have been doing ) and ignoring this subject on our forum, our now worldwide situation, just waiting for it to slow itself down, go away, end but, i have just got up and out of bed 4.30 am, ( after four MS get up bladder emptying's through the night ) made my first morning cup of tea, and as usual sat at the computer whilst checking the death toll figures of yesterday and was utterly shocked to see the high rise of America deaths almost touching Italy's daily figures, and UK also had doubled from the day before...to say this is absolutely terrifying me is an understatement...this is so out of control...and they keep talking about it "peaking."

Ok, enough said for one day..I will try to get my positive head put back on..If my MS body will allow me later on i shall get myself down the steep parkhomes sloped road and go sit on the bench looking at our piece of small woodland area's high trees and birds, i may see a rabbit-hare or squirrel, or like the other day, a pair of pheasants, this is where i get my few minutes of peace, tranquillity and calmness, out in nature, and where one can block out our daily reality, whilst UK have been blessed these past few days with dry and sunny weather, although still chilly, i will make the most of it before our weather turns to that wet stuff..

If there are two things i will be grateful for today, this will be my few minutes out amongst nature with the sounds of the birds, and the lovely and welcoming sound of my volunteer lady who phones me every day to check up on me and my safety...we have gotten to know each other well and we have both said we shall meet each other when this is all over with...

EDITED: just this minute back from another successful downhill short walk, sat on the bench now placed at the bottom, wonder for how long before it gets moved away again, and just looked into our small wooded area at the trees, the odd bird, must have been the same mother bird i saw the other day at the same hole feeding food to its young, same tree, same hole...then saw a very young squirrel running along the trees and down a trunk... this is the one place i can sit where i feel most contented..and no one else around, no human beings just pure nature..

Oh yes, today is April Fools Day, i dont think many will be pulling any April Fools pranks...

Denver

Since I am late to post tonight I suppose it will be April First before many of you will see this.......so Happy April to all. 

APRIL FOOLS DAY is cancelled this year due to the fact that nothing could possibly top the horror of what we are all dealing with right now! You are right, JACKIE, I do not think anyone will be trying to pull any pranks on anyone.....

Sad to say, things seem to be no where near to slowing down according to what we hear today.  So sad to think we will not have the Easter that we all enjoy so much.  No church services....how sad. 

We cancelled our flight to go to Phoenix the end of this week for my Dad's Birthday on the 9th. We knew we probably would have to cancel but we hung in there as long as we could with ho0e for a change, but the writing is on the wall.  😢😢😩

The golf course was open again today so I spent quite a bit of time trying to get someone with authority to hear our plea to get this place shut down😤😡

Pleasant dreams to all.  Prays for all of you. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...i saw on our news yesterday that all British Airways planes to and from our Gatwick Airport have been grounded, i wonder when our Heathrow will do the same...
Oh yes, of course Aprils Fools has been cancelled, it will only be the sick minded who go ahead with it...

Where we have so many " givers and takers " in this world, out of our UK nightmare we are hearing of little angels like this young 13 year old boy Alfie who has started a food pantry outside his house, bless his little heart...hope you can all open this Link...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boy-13-opens-pantry-outside-21775640

FlaJean

Jackie, thanks for showing that thoughtful young boy.  Jackie it is so good that you have been able to get out for a short walk.:)

Jenny, I'm surprised they still have the golf course open.  In spite of our governor this area is shut down except for grocery stores and some take out food places.  Our local governments are taking this very seriously and keeping the locals appraised at how things are going.

Beverly, the sun is shining today but it is chilly.  It was about 50° when I got up but supposed to reach 70° by the afternoon.

Tome, your beans and cornbread sound good.  I also use Jiffy but haven't made any corn bread in ages.  I looked at the package I have and see it expired this past Sept.  I wonder if it would still be ok.

Thinking of you, Mary Ann, and hope you are resting comfortably.  We sure do miss you.

Joan, haven't heard from you in a while.  Sounds like the Covid-19 is starting to slow down a bit in the Seattle area.

Have a nice day everyone—-as nice as we can under this terrible situation.

Vanilla-Jackie

I'm walking from room to room looking for my computer-reading glasses and couldn't see them, then i realised i was wearing them...
...Marilyne...hasn't posted yet either...

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Re: cornbread.  Mixes all have sugar in them; "real" southern cornbread does not.  Mississippi born-and-bred MIL made hers by putting "some" self-rising cornmeal in a bowl, adding an egg, turning on the hot water, then passing the bowl underneath and mixing until it "looked right'.  She baked it in a well-used cast-iron cornbread stick pan and it melted in your mouth.

I use recipe on side of regular cornmeal bag but learned making it look "soupy" when mixed would result in a softer cornbread that didn't crumble to the touch.

Jackie,  ;D at your glasses issue.  I don't need mine for the computer and am constantly walking away and wondering why everything looks blurred.

Governor has finally shut down golf courses but park walking trails are still open (as of the last time I looked at t.v.).
I drove to the bank drive-up window yesterday and saw quite a few people walking or jogging on sidewalks but keeping a good distance from others.  Was surprised to see quite a few cars in DIY carwash stalls.

More cities across the state are issuing "stay home" requirements.  Grandson had stayed in Stillwater because the construction project he works on had been designated "essential" (may be on college campus).  Haven't heard if that's changed.

Can't remember if I mentioned here that NYC granddaughter was able to fly home last Saturday for an "indefinite visit".  She said LaGuardia was like a ghost town and there were only 2 gates open in the large Southwest Airlines terminal.  Very few on plane and, although there was a stop-over in Houston, she didn't have to change planes - so stayed on board instead of going into terminal.
Her family had sanitized a bedroom/bath for her and she immediately showered and laundered her clothes. She doesn't have to be totally isolated and can go out in back yard if someone else opens the door.  There are two doggies who love having someone go out and play ball so she'll be able to get some fresh air and exercise. - both of which were missing in NY apartment and affecting her emotionally.  So relieved she's out of there!!!

Onward and Upward....   

Sandy

Happy April Fools Day!

Everything is the same here....
The farther  that I go is down to the
curb to meet and greet Kelly as
she is bringing me some grocery's... 

Everyone is keeping their distance,
as needed, with the streets very quiet
out side my window to the world
(usually bustling)...

I hope that everyone is feeling  well...

Hugs to you Mary Ann ... 
Miss you !

love 
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

April First,  is never a day for pranks or jokes in this household . . . it's our youngest daughter Sandy's  BIRTHDAY!   She suffered through lots of taunting, during her elementary school years of being called The April Fool.  She always hoped the neighborhood and school would forget from year to year, but they never did.  Those were the years when bullying was tolerated in schools. :(

She's okay with it now of course, and even enjoys her April Fool's birthday.  Interesting, that in her lifetime, she has never known another person with the same birthday.  She is 51 today.

Callie and Jean -  Instead of corn bread, how about Beer Bread??  Our dil came over this morning, and left us a bag out in front, with some food she made for our dinner tonight.  Included is about half a loaf of Beer Bread that she made this morning. (still warm).  I'm  anxious to try it, so will probably have a slice for lunch.

Callie - I'm glad Miss Ellen, is safely at home for the duration.  Also good to see she is practicing all the recommended precautions!

Patricia - Sorry that Fairbanks, has turned into the "hot spot" in AK. Thirty cases is not good.  The county where my older daughter lives here in CA, only has 10 cases so far.   Unfortunately, here in Santa Clara County, we have 890 cases, with 30 deaths.  They predict the total number of cases will hit 1,000 by tomorrow.  :yikes:

Hi to Beverly, Jackie and Sandy!  I've been sitting here too long, and need to get up and move around. Talk to you all later!

Mary Ann - I hope you are looking into S&F?  If so, know that we are all thinking about you and praying for your recovery.

angelface555

Marilyne we had our first case on March 16th. Since then the number of new cases doubles or triples each day. The main concern is the number of cases at one of the facilities housing long term care patients that's attached to our main hospital. The other is 15 cases at a Fairbanks medical building that's home to an orthopedist and a physical therapist. The latter is connected to at least half of our local cases. We had five new cases today. As long as folks feel that the restrictions don't involve or concern them, we may not see an end for this year.

"Alaska is not yet in an "acceleration phase" of cases like places such as New York City, Alaska Chief Medical Officer Dr. Anne Zink said at the news conference.

She said the state is creating and analyzing models to predict when Alaska's cases may peak and how many hospital beds the state will need.

"Based on other states, it could be anywhere from the end of April to June, July, is when we could kind of peak," Zink said. 

CallieOK

Marilyn, #1 son (Miss Ellen's dad) makes beer bread but, so far, he's never shared.  :(