Random Image

Sunrise1

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:07:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joy

Jeanne P.  I think you are thinking of Sandy ( who lives in Maine) who got sick while they were on the road traveling. I think she had had a heart attack or a stroke.  She still posts here in the Soda Shoppe and here in Norm's page.  I kept in touch with Bobbie Gould for a very long time, and I don't remember her getting sick on the road and someone had to come get her back home. In later years, she had breathing problems. 

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think so. Bobbie was from Pa.  And, I do remember that Mark had given her the dog, and she named him January. She had that dog a good while.  She had met up with some very interesting people along her travels.  I used to really worry about her when she would comment about staying in the woods and nobody else around. 

Joy

Joy
BIG BOX

junee

Marilyne.
Interesting looking back to days gone by.  Thinkyou have the name correct,it was Jerry.  Jerry in NZ was a different character but he posted regularly and was missed.
I looked at the morning news and maybe the rioting is quieting down. Do hope so as dealing with this Viras is enough at present.
Still on lockdown but it has paid off and there has not been any cases in this Aged Care.  (Would just like to be able to go out for lunch)

Sandy

Yes it was me (Sandy) who
 had a stroke in Austin Texas but still
drove myself to Baton Rouge Louisiana,
before calling 911 to pick me up and
take me to the hospital where my cross
country excursion ended..   sadly. 

I did survive the strokes (multiple)
but did loose vision in my Left eye and
right side periferial vision in both eyes.
leaving me legally blind but still
able to see enough to clearly see directly
in front of me.. 

I was lucky to have kept this very
important vision in one eye. 

I was lucky to travel across the USA and
spent a few months in
Port Townsend, Washington
before heading back east and
having the strokes which ended it
all. 

I had  great time and visited
with many folks along the way and
got the opportunity to visit
the North West for an extended
period of time. 

I am doing good today,  hiding
from Covid_19 and staying out
of all of the protests going on.
But I can see them out my
Window to the World in Portland
Maine...  Cheering the peaceful ones
on from one floor up from the
streets. 

Sandy
 :crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

I remember just before Happy Bill became sick. He and Rusty started a new group because of the ladies' Red Hats. It was funny and all off the cuff. Happy Bill named their men's group, the Red Caps.

Denver

Good evening. 

Tonight is Michele's 50th Birthday Party.  They are having six couples over for a social distancing party.  Dave got little tables and chairs that are all separated and set up with each couples individual drinks and food.  Unfortunately a storm was moving in but we are hopeful that it went around them!  Good news is it cooled down so it will be a lot more comfortable for them. 

JOY, thank you for sharing the news about Bobbi....although I never got to meet her I remember following her and January well on their travels.  She was a nice lady. 

I have to say that reading all the names again just adds to the sadness of how many of our SN friends are gone.  Memories are wonderful but the reality is painful.

JACKIE, the protesting is on it's 7th night here in Denver.  The last couple of nights have been much better with less violence.  I just do not know what else can be done to have the protesters stop the nonsense.  So much damage has been done.  Our police and political leaders have done everything they know to do to help them understand that we are aware of their requests and hopefully they will stop the protests.

I have been on the telephone so best get this posted before ai loose it.

Pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

If there is to be peace in the world,
There must be peace in the nations.
If there is to be peace in the nations,
There must be peace in the cities.
If there is to be peace in the cities,
There must be peace between neighbors.
If there is to be peace between neighbors,
There must be peace in the home.
If there is to be peace in the home,
There must be peace in the heart.

(Lao-Tse - 6th Century BCE)

Bless those who are peacemakers,
From all creeds and cultures,
All who bring no other agenda
Than to see neighbour and stranger
Live together as one community.
A: Bless the peacemakers
B: Strengthen and bless them

©John Birch
" There is no present like the time "

FlaJean

Yes, we need peace and peacemakers

My great grandson, Jacob, had his 8th birthday Monday.  When he saw his daddy going back into the hospital Sunday, he cried and cried because his daddy wouldn't be there for his birthday.  Every time Jason has some progress, along comes a setback.

I used part of my very tender pork roast for pulled pork and made some barbecue sauce.  It's time to go have lunch.  Have a good day all.

Marilyne

Jean -
I'm very sorry to hear that Jason has had a setback and had to return to the hospital.  I hope that it can be managed, and that he can go home in time for for Jacob's birthday.  It must be difficult for a child that young, to understand the seriousness of his Dad's illness.  My youngest grandson's name is also Jacob. He has always gone by the nickname Jake.  He just turned 26, in April.

Jenny -
I'm sure Michele's "social distancing party", was a big success! Great idea, and I'm guessing it will be a popular idea for parties, all Summer long.  That makes me wonder if the usual flood of June weddings, have mostly been cancelled this year?  I know that weddings and reception venues are usually planned and secured about a year ahead of time.  Oh, those poor unfortunate couples!  I've been feeling sorry for the graduates, who were unable to have a grad ceremony, or a prom, and other festivities.  Now, all the couples who have planned their weddings, will either have to wait, or will opt for a civil ceremony or a small family gathering. 

Jackie -
Thank you for your very thoughtful posting today, on the need and the hope for Peace. We need to keep that hope alive, even though things don't look very promising at this time in history. I know I won't see national or world peach in my lifetime, but maybe my grandchildren will?    We also need a calm, reassuring voice to encourage us in the midst all the present chaos.

JeanneP

Sandy
Thanks for getting me Stright on my posting. I was wrong . It must be quite a faw years back now.
I wonder what happened to Happy Bill. I think he married again while still in. Moved to Santiago didn't he. Icould be wrong again.
I kept in touch with Jerry in NZ .i remember we were both into something but darned if I now remember what.. The forums were really hopping back then. If only we knew were some of them where.
JeanneP

wjoan

YIPPEEEEE.  Just got word that eff. the 6th we will be getting our books delivered again from the Library here in WA State.  Tehy will NOT be l;pen to the public, but at least we will have our books to listen to  again.  :)

JeanneP

So many things I wanted todo today. I needed the bank. Could never get through to a human. dr, was mixed up and he was gone but did get nurse. The just ask you to get into your accounts on line and use message boards. Got my Bank monthly stmt and it had been opened. Couple thing I couldn't understand.
I finely said. To heck with it. Going to take a nap . 10 min. Phone rang with a crazy person trying to sell me auto insurance.. Still 90 deg. I just going to relax we all over the State lost all tv.wifiInternet. For 7 hrs yesterday. Lots of people must watch during he day.

Not going to spell check anymore until all back to normal.
JeanneP

Denver

Just passing through to bid EVERY ONE A GOOD NIGHT and pleasant dreams to all❣️

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...." sleep tight, and dont let the bed-bugs bite " that's what my late parents always said to me..

FlaJean

Another hot day.  Things are very quiet here in the forum.

I hope all is going well for everyone.  My pork roast was so tender.  I made some pulled pork and barbecue sauce and it was very good.  We had pork sandwiches yesterday and again today so not much to do for dinner.

There just isn't much to talk about that doesn't involve coronavirus and politics and this isn't the place for that.  As Jackie posted yesterday, let's just hope for peace and peacemakers.

Have a good day everyone.

Beverly

Jean - I love pulled pork sandwiches! I often order them in restaurants. Some are better than others. Wish I had one right now.  :)

Had another nice surprise last night. Donna and her husband put an offer on a house about 5 minutes from here and their offer was accepted. They'll be coming down for the inspection, etc. in one week. Since it's "sight unseen", they have the option to back out if there's a problem. They both retire in January and this will be their full-time home.

Jean - You may know the area. It's in Summerfield.

Marilyne

Today I accomplished a couple of things.  For the first time in our almost 64 years of marriage, I cut AJ's hair!  He ordered a hair cutting set from Amazon, and we waited over a month for it to finally arrive.   A very popular item during the shelter-at-home mandate.  I watched a couple of YouTube videos, on steps to follow for first time hair cutters.  I was dreading it, but it was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. He really looks pretty good - much better than before! 

This afternoon I made the Ice Cream Bread.  I used plain Ben & Jerry's vanilla.  It's cooling right now so I haven't tried it, but it looks delicious.

Beverly - How nice for you, that Donna and her husband have purchased a house that's only five minutes from you!   Buying a house sight-unseen, seems to be a popular option these days.  You said last week, that your son had also bought one that is close.  Now you need to convince the rest of your family to do the same thing! 

Jean - I'd like one of those pulled pork sandwiches also!   Sounds really good to me today.  After an extended heat wave, we've had a couple of days of strong, dry, uncomfortable wind.  It finally subsided this afternoon, and the temperature is now a cool and comfortable 72 degrees.

Tomereader1

I didn't have pulled pork but I did have a very large pork chop, which I couldn't quite eat all of. I may put it in my little Mini-Cuisinart and chop it up, dump some BBQ sauce on it.  I need some potato salad!  No up to doing that today.  Maybe get some at the store tomorrow.

FlaJean

Beverly, my Ocala friend has in-laws who live at Spruce Creek in Summerfield.  We've been through that area many times.

Marilyne, the pulled pork was delicious!

Tome, potato salad sounds good.  I don't make good potato salad and usually buy it from McAlister's Deli.  It's so much better than mine.

Talking about food makes me hungry.  Time for me to go look for a nighttime snack.

MarsGal

Morning all! I hope everyone is doing well.

Jean, what a shame Jason had to return to the hospital again. I hope he won't be in long. Sorry to hear his recover is so up and down.

My new microwave table has arrived, so today I am going to be rearranging that corner of my kitchen and putting the table together. This is going to involve moving two sturdy wood cabinets (sold as bathroom cabinets when I bought them) and the old microwave cart. After the new table is moved into the space, I will have enough left to move a tall, thin bookcase that I used to have in my last kitchen to keep my cookbooks (much reduced now). I have not quite decided what to do with the wood bathroom cabinets.

Hopefully, I can get my kitchen back in order by this afternoon so I can cook up some pork ribs.

It is going to be hot today, going up to 88oF. It is 70o already and it is not even 7amEST. It still looks pretty damp outside so I wonder if we had some rain last night, not expecting any today.

As of yesterday, our governor has set all counties to his Green Phase of recovery. I am not sure what that means for wearing masks.

Yesterday, I also did a telephone conference with my doctor instead of going in for my annual check-up. He is mailing my a script for my annual blood work so I don't have to go in. That is practically the only reason I would have gone up anyway since every time I go in I get the weight/height, blood pressure and temp routine before I get to talk to him anyway. The really neat thing is that I got to talk to him right away rather than make a phone appointment.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone
from the getting hotter and humid
rocky coast of Maine.   

Beverly   
How nice that Donna and her husband
are buying a place right near you
in Florida...

That is perfect for all of you.   
I know  just how much I
appreciate my kids living
near me...  Especially
being a single person  as I
am...

It makes my life so much more
comfortable knowing they are
around and close by. 

Enjoy

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Denver

Late Saturday night and I am just getting in to see how you all are doing 😩

We had horrible hurricane speed winds here this afternoon.  Sadly many trees did not survive, including our neighbors.  Her front yard tree is leaning quite a bit toward the street, and it is worrisome as who knows when it will fall.  We are thankful it did not fall toward her house as it would have done damage.  This is the same neighbor that lost a big pine tree between her house and ours a couple of months ago😩

JEAN, I am sorry to read that Jason has returned to the hospital.  He continues to be in my daily thoughts and prayers.....how sad for his son to have to worry because his daddy can not be home for his birthday😩

JACKIE, thank goodness I did NOT have any bug bites....but I sure had a chuckle when I read your post.😘  That has always been a popular  saying for years! 

Time for me to head off to bed.

Sleep well and pleasant dreams to all.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny....re, your Soda Shoppe posting..
... i was shocked yesterday to see on our UK tv news that in 4 or 5 locations 1,000's here in UK are also out in protesting...I have the same fears as you..and as if our world is not already in such a mess, so why add more...

Marilyne

Good morning to everyone.  A cold and windy Sunday, here in Northern California.  Our outside temp was 49 when I got up and checked at about 6:30.  So inside it was 65, which is too cold for me.  We had put away our warm blankets, so just had light weight summer covers on last night. The way the weather shifts from heat wave to cold front, is hard to adjust to at our age!

Our dil, Jackie,  came over yesterday and brought us some delicious prepared food!   A casserole of enchiladas and a  Greek salad, which we ate last night.  Then for tonight, some cheese raviolis.  Also, four freshly baked blueberry muffins that we had for breakfast this morning.   I'm feeling very pampered and well taken care of today!  :)

With that in mind, I'm going to try to accomplish a few tasks, that I hate to do, but are way out of control right now.  One is shredding bills and junk mail, and the other is cleaning out kitchen and bathroom drawers.

I'll check back in a couple of hours, and hope we've heard from some of our regular posters.   

FlaJean

It rained all night and off and on today and more on the way.  Dreary.

Not much going on here and I hope it stays that way.  Larry is watching TV and I've been playing games on my iPad.  I'm sure there are better ways to spend the time but I'm too tired right now to worry about it.

Marilyne, you sound too energetic.  Don't work too hard.

Jenny, those winds sound scary.

I hope everyone has had a good day.

Joy

Thought I would just stop by and say Hello.

It has been another slow day.  I did get a grocery order this morning and got a rotisserie chicken.  That will last me a couple days.  They keep getting smaller and smaller.  It was a sad looking little bird.  I think it only weight a little over 2 lbs.  But, it will make a couple meals.  I had a chicken sandwich for lunch and will mix up some stove pot dressing and make up a salad. 

It was a nice pretty day today. Low humidity.  I should have gone down and sat outside, but I got to reading and then, fell asleep.  I still have to go down and put some mail out for tomorrow and take my trash out to the trash room. Then, there is a special on Fox news tonight about the  first atomic bomb back in 1945. One of the commentators, Chris Wallace, I think it is, has written a new book and it sounds very interesting.  A woman who had survived the bombing is to be featured.  I think I read where it is the 75th anniversary.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

I am up and about 6.am, and thankfully slept better than the night before, and i am now in the office with my first mug of tea of the day,  awaiting on my organic vegi box delivery, of which this driver comes a tad later than the previous drivers from the Riverford organics...I have ordered one each salad bag and a fruit bag, their produces change from week to week but they do print what will be in each weeks box so i can skip a box if i dont want what is in it...I also have a supermarket delivery arriving tomorrow morning, plus another delivery of Betty's speciality 5 different bread loaves that i can put in the freezer and take one out at a time....

Edited: two days ago, 6th June would have been our forums founder, Pat Scott Halbach 80th Birthday..

Beverly

Good morning. The sun is shining off and on but I don't expect it to last as the forecast says more rain. We went out for a little ride yesterday afternoon and got caught in a downpour. Could hardly see the road to drive. It rained most of yesterday. Christobal has been downgraded to a tropical depression.

Jean - I hope they can find a way for your great-grandson to have a happy birthday. So sad his Daddy can't be there today. The house Donna is buying is in Spruce Creek, also.

Living in a community is going to be a big change for Donna. They live in a very rural area where the houses are few and far between! Michael won't be here full time but his situation is the same. 

[/size]

Marilyne

The temp dropped to 49 again last night, but happy to say that this morning that relentless North wind has died down.  It's going to start warming up today, and heading for another spell of HOT weather by the end of the week.  We usually have at least one pleasant day in the mid 70's, before it becomes uncomfortable and zooms up to the 90's.

Beverly -  Please send us some of that rain!  We haven't seen anything measurable, in many months, and won't see any until November.  I always planned to visit Florida, some day, but now my traveling days are over, so I never will.  Shelley, my older daughter, has been there a couple of times over the years, and liked it very much.  I enjoy seeing the shows on HGTV, that feature the Fl beach communities, on both coasts . . . "Beach Front Bargain Hunt", is my favorite. 

Jackie - So nice for you to have organic produce delivered to your door!  We have plenty of organic farms and orchards around here, but they all sell mostly at the Farmer's Markets, that are held on weekends.  I used to love going, and picking out tomatoes, and various fruits and veggies, but can't do it anymore.  There is a great fruit orchard about a mile from me, where I go every Summer, and buy fresh apricots, peaches, cherries and also dried cots, prunes, etc.   I hope the Coronavirus subsides enough, that it will be possible to go there by the end of the month for fresh fruit.  If it doesn't open, all of that lovely fruit will go to waste!

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...yes, hard to imagine so much freshly grown foodstuffs and plants and flowers in the nurseries will be thrown away-discarded as no one will be out and about to buy them when they are at their best and ready...It was on our news a few weeks ago about the large nurseries and all the wasted flowers-plants and shrubs that are ready, yet soon to die, but will go to waste, so sad...and i imagine food that would feed the starving will be thrown away, all because of our now worldwide situation..

Well another phone call to my surgery where GP doctor just phoned me ( this time no one is being sent out to me in my home ) telling me she will prescribe and have sent to me a two week course of " water " tablets ( as if i dont pee enough already ) for my worsening ballooned leg, the ballooning is above my cellulitis leg which the previous medications seemed to have part-solved but not completely solved...well i think they cleared up the infection but the leg still is very discoloured and think i was told it would remain this way...

I took a phone call from our local Lib-Dem counsellor again after the changeover from the volunteer " barrister " lady who has been phoning and checking on me daily, her time is up so trying to arrange alternatives to keep track on me...A lady from another concern ( and is also attached to a church ) spoke to me over the phone who is going to contact another lady who supposedly lives near to my area, i shall wait and see where this leads to..

JeanneP

Jackie
Sounds like you are getting some good healthy food packets. thats good. Having a good meal always makes me feel happy. I think I do need to cut down a little though. I feel like I wan't a good mixed salad. One with all the things on it like what come out in our Market around end July, Aug. Fresh tomatoes, Corn.etc. I don't like the stuff from the big shopping markets. Most come up from either the south or California. To long on a truck.
JeanneP