Random Image

Fe Fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Yes another " hermit " here, as UK have gone into lock-down as from today, for the next four weeks...this is our second lockdown, our first was the day after my birthday March...
Maybe we start our own  " hermit " club...i am sure we will have many members...
" There is no present like the time "

patricia19

Hello again.

Callie, since I've just had a snack of bleu cheese and homemade crackers from my friend, Claire, I'll join you in that whine. I like to be alone at times too but never thought it would be this alone! Those calls keep me sane! One call ended up making us all laugh this morning.

I was detailing to a friend about Farrah's understanding,(or more likely smelling); what it means when I arrive home bags in hand. She's been on a vet assigned diet since 01/2018 to go from 15.5 to a range of 12-14 pounds, for a background. In that time, with no treats and IAMS indoor diet, she has lost one entire pound, three years, and one measly pound!

Back to my phone call, she sees me, bags in hand, and immediately perks up. Farrah follows me from the kitchen, bath, and back to the kitchen again watching carefully even after all these years to see if any treats fall out. Afterward, obviously disappointed in my unwillingness to understand her pain, she retreats to behind the couch.

Nan and I are discussing ways to dissociate the view of bags with treats as yesterday I did purchase a small bag of feline dental crunchies. We talked about how long after coming home with bags should I bring out the treats. We were really getting into it, ideas flowing when I heard her husband say from the background, "She knows it's a cat, right" Both of us cracked up!

CallieOK

Good idea, Jackie -  "HI HO"  (Happy International Hermit (Hermitess?) Organization"??  ;D

Miss Emily has been coming to study because they're still without wi-fi.  Her final Board Exams are a week from tomorrow. 
(Have I already said she completed her on campus class work and clinic requirements, moved home and is now interning with a local chiropractor for the rest of the trimester.  She graduates as "Dr. Emily" on December 18.)

Off to make some cookies in case she does come.  Last time she stayed for dinner so I need to see what I can find for that, too.

Denver

Thank you PATRICIA and MARILYNE, for noticing that I had not posted.

Yesterday was a day of waiting for news on Michele and today we are feeling down over our son and DIL having to have their sick kitty put down.  Life right now is stressful enough with Covid and the election😩😢.  My heart aches for everyone as we all are feeling so much stress from it all and then our personal lives have issues as well😘

First of all, the maintenance chemo has not done the job for Michele, so it is a waiting game while her doctors figure out what the next step is.  I know she has so many praying for her and hoping there will be a miracle and she can get rid of this awful cancer.  We feel so blessed that there are drugs that can help her keep fighting this demon. 

Bless you all as you get through each day dealing with everything that is effecting your life.  So many of us are so very blessed to not have to deal with sickness in our bodies, but so many today are having issues mentally due to the awful virus that is keeping us from enjoying our freedom.  Especially the ability to be with our friends and loved ones.  The holidays are going to be rough for so many and it is already a stressful time for many. 

I wish you all a good rest of your day. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Jenny, how frustrating for Michele, she is an amazing  lady with a back up team that can't  be beat. Pray that the Drs come up with a solution to help her.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...nothing worse than getting ones hopes up then having them dashed, re, your Michele's maintenance plan..I hope they can come up with a plan B...

Marilyne

Jenny - So very sorry that the maintenance chemo did not keep things under control for Michele.  There are many different treatments out there, and I'll be praying that the right one will be found, and will work for her. 

Yes, you are right, in that lots of our relatives and friends are not dealing at all well with the Covid restrictions.  Meaning: they are following the rules, but it's thrown so many into a state of depression and hopelessness.  It's not so bad for us old folks, because we don't come and go that much anyway.  The younger generations are having a bad time. 

The Holidays are looming, and everyone is struggling with how much, if any togetherness we will be able to enjoy this year?  I guess that each family will do what seems best for them, when the time comes.   

CallieOK

Jenny,  so very sorry to read about Michelle and praying that the doctors can find a way for her to at least remain stable.

Miss Emily did not come because their cable services have been restored.  :thumbup:  Probably a good thing she didn't because I didn't get the cookies baked, either. Spent time reading in my sunny south window.  >:( that sunlight disappears around 5:00 and it's necessary to turn on lights.

Onward and Upward.

Denver

I forgot to tell you the scare from Monday when Michele had her CT scan.  Before she got home the oncology nurse called her asking if she got the call from her oncologist?  She had not.  Now of course the nurse can not tell her anything.....she got home and rechecked and still no message.  She called the nurse again and finally was told she has a blood clot on her catheter connected to her port.  Not sure I totally am wording this correct....anyway she has to return to the hospital to get a shot and then to the pharmacy to get a script for a blood thinner. 
🦋 Jenny

MarsGal

I got up a few minutes earlier than usual this morning. The trash is now out for pickup. Cool but not chilly out, but there is high cloudiness so only saw hazy moonshine. This afternoon, I tell myself, the front yard gets a (hopefully) last mowing for the year. It is getting into the 70s.

Yesterday I got lucky. I saw the Paul come in at Duluth. It looked so small until really close to the harbor entrance, I didn't recognize it at first. About 5pm I got a good look at USCG Hollyhock as she made her way upriver and home. She has some scrapes on her now that weren't there before. I also caught her just coming into dock at Port Huron, but it was so dark I couldn't see much. Just after dark, I saw LAT, Whitefish Bay and one of the Algoma ships converge just at the bend on the Marine City cam but it was after dark. LAT and Whitefish Bay were coming up river so I did get a better look as they passed directly by the cam.

Lately, I have been taking rides through the Swiss, French and Italian Alps and the Dolomite Mountains. Good thing I was in my recliner and not in the actual vehicle. Many of the roads were just big enough for two cars. Most of the roads didn't have lane markers and the drivers seemed not to pay much attention the them anyway, often driving down the middle. I noted a number of roads that did not have or had flimsy side guardrails. And the bends on the switchbacks! Yikes! I almost got dizzy watching going around the tight bends. I've also been catching up on some Cat Man Chris videos and have been watching Save A Fox, Archaeology News clips, and checking the Kiel Canal cam. My reading has suffered the last few days, though.

Sue is planning a chicken dinner for Thanksgiving and on watching football. Ugh! I don't plan on going over this year. George is toying with going up to Mansfield for Thanksgiving. I am not sure if anyone up there is doing a buffet, but some of the churches and such offer a free Thanksgiving meal. Tioga County has remained practically COVID-19 free through this whole thing. Here, there are very few restaurants that will be open and just a few, including Cracker Barrel, Costco (not a member) and Simply Turkey, offer Ham or Turkey with trimmings for pickup. Very few of these offer small servings and only one, that I saw, offered pre-cooked sliced turkey breast with trimmings as a dinner for two. All were rather pricey. In fact, aside for the free turkey offers at the grocery stores if you spend enough money (I never reach those goals), the turkey prices for turkey breasts are pretty high. I may not do turkey, but do up one of the two marinated pork roasts I bought several weeks ago. They are a nice size for my smaller crock-pot. Oh, and I have a can of yams I almost forgot about. I can also thaw out the last of my frozen corn-on-the cob. Okay, I am all set then. 

Marilyne

Jenny - SO sorry that Michele has had the blood clot problem, on top of everything else.  It seems like one problem after another gets thrown at her, but she continues to face and overcome each one.  I hope today will be a calm day for her, and that she feels reasonably well. 

MarsGal - How did I miss Paul?   I looked at the schedule, but since I'm two hours behind, I often get mixed up as to time. Well, I'll try to catch him next time around.  The man who operates the Marine City camera, usually gets some good close-ups and different angles, so I'll look for him there.

This morning we found one of our sweet little wild cottontail bunnies had died.  She was right out in the open, on the walkway leading from our deck. There were only two of them, living under our deck - a silver gray and a medium brown. This was the gray one. No sign of trauma, like from coyotes.   I hate to think such a thing, but I have a feeling she was poisoned. :(     

Amy

Marilyne, that is so sad, I do hope he was not poisoned as the other one may get it. Have you seen the other one about?  On one of our work sites ,each morning we were met by a bunny..I would talk away to him and he would sit right there as if listening to me.

MarsGal, your meal sounds perfect! I had never ate yams till a neighbour served them  one time and now we are a fan of them. Do you put butter and brown sugar on them or just have them plain?

I have a wee roast ready to go in the oven...plus potatoes, carrots, turnip to go in later around the roast. Slivers of garlic were tucked into slits on the roast so I hope it turns out good. Not sure if I will make Yorkshire pudding or not..will think about that  :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

MarsGal

Marilyine, Paul was coming into Duluth so you will still have a chance to see him leave if you can find his departure schedule.

Lucky me. I saw Mesabi Miner was just coming up river at Marine City when I checked this morning. Two of the biggies in less than 24 hours.

I managed to get myself out to mow the part of the front yard that was growing too long. Most of he rest of the yard is in Zoysia grass which is staying low now, so I don't have to deal with that now. We are having a nice, sunny day.

Amy, it depends on my mood and what I am serving with the yams. Because of  notthe marinade in the pork roast, I will probably use the juice from roasting au jus or a little thickened. Generally I just butter the yams if they are baked, but these are canned. I often do them up in a sauce made with orange juice. To me, yans are pretty much enterchangeable with sweet potatoes.

I love Yorkshire Pudding, but haven't made in like forever. The cuts of meat I get don't have enough fat in them. Mom used to make it a lot, along with other favorites like bubble and squeak, welsh cakes, and shepherd's pie.

Tonight I am going to have tilapia and am debating either rolled in panko crumbs or in crushed taco chips.

Amy

MarsGal, I love talapia!! Very mild fish..so tasty!
 My Dad wanted his Yorkshire pudding in a square pan where as I would rather have them done in muffins tins..
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

It all sounds so good; I'd love to join you both if only I could!  :)

For yams, I just scrub the yam, don't peel it, slice it or  make small slits for herbed butter, and roast in a sheet pan with other vegetables

I'm thinking of winging it tonight or, as Callie says, freezer fallout. Yesterday's roast chicken never made it out of the fridge, so that or pork chops.

MarsGal

Mom always made her Yorkshire pudding in a loaf pan. I mostly follows suit, but sometimes I used a square pan.

I just have to share this with you all. Jimmy is my BIL and Ronnie is his very best friend. They are both in their eighties.
 Besides the article, there is an audio only clip, two video clips and a link to more on YouTube. Enjoy! https://www.witf.org/2020/11/06/witf-music-ronnie-waters-and-jimmy-wood/

In addition I'd like to note that Ronnie has long been active in teaching and helping youngsters interested in Jazz, including a local youth jazz orchestra.

Jimmy has a nice home studio where he practices and composes music. They guys often gather there to practice together. He also participated in Summer Youth programs and has helped numerous friends and youths with their computer problems and learning. I don't think he does that any more though.

patricia19

MarsGal, I've loved jazz since I used to listen to my mother and her sax in the fifties. It tells stories that reach down inside of you and connect you with everyone.

Marilyne

MarsGal - That is a wonderful web site featuring your BIL and his friend!  I'm sending it on to my husband, AJ, who is a musician, and played in Jazz Bands and Big Bands, his entire life.  I didn't realize there was such a jazz presence in Harrisburg!  I always thought it was concentrated in NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, and out here in California, in SF and LA.  Looking forward to doing a little research!   

Amy

MarsGal, I also enjoyed that. In my high school years I dated a lad that could play just about any instrument but the sax and the piano where top of the line.
Thank you for sharing.
Jimmy Dean

Vanilla-Jackie

Have no idea how i managed it but i did get round..I achieved a round circle trip with my rollator through the town and passing by the pond area, oh how the town has changed since i grew up in it and only moved away 20 plus years ago...My Multiple Sclerosis electricity inside body movements were going ten to the dozen with my eyesight affected dizziness, my legs ballooned after my cellulitis, and this trip took me 45 minutes compared to an able bodied walkers maximum ten minutes, the odd person speeding past me, i did sit down on a pond bench for a couple of minutes, pondering whether to attempt carrying on or turning back...I was snail paceing and shuffling, having lifting my feet struggles and clinging onto to my rollator for dear life whilst pushing my body over its limits...just glad to reach home in one piece and without falling over on the crooked and uneven pavements, smooth near the pond shops and cafes area...When i passed by the flyover, on the level ground there were a police road cordon and they were standing over an empty car, so not sure whether had been accident or car chase...

Time now is 10.20am, time to make breakfast..this walk has taken its toll, and first trip was to the loo for a bladder emptying...weather bitter cold, dry and the sun was shining..

patricia19

Good morning from a beleaguered Interior! Thursday, we were minus thirty while wishing for warmer temperatures. Friday morning saw 18 above with 8" of snow and by evening, 18" of snow. This morning, Saturday, we are thirty above with plus eighteen as a low.

We're asked to stay off the roads as the record-breaking storm continues with another 8 to 10 inches expected through Sunday. Emergency crews and plows are everywhere trying to keep up. This isn't our normal weather, just as the past rainy summer wasn't our normal weather. I'd expect to see this in Buffalo, New York, or Chicago or other Eastern states, not in the Arctic! I'm not going anywhere!

Sandy

The streets outside my
window  to the world here in the city of
Portland Maine are filling up with people
and cars tooting their horns and cheering....

The weather here is beautiful and
my windows are open and right now .
today, Portland Maine is celebrating! 

Bless you all
Love Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Sandy...
... i will post it here as well... sounds like everything is just perfect  :thumbup:

Its on our UK BBC news right now 5.45pm...

Sandy

And the beat goes on..

3 and a half hours now
and the commotion goes on.. 

I bought a tent  bed from
amazon and I slept in it last
night

Tent bed from Amazon.jpeg

I slept in it like a log
last night.    Cozy!

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

It is starting to get dark now.
I sure hope that people go home
and take their celebrating with them ! 

It is giving me a headache !

:uglystupid2:

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Sandy...
...are you hibernating - going into hibernation...

Sandy

No, not hibernating.
We still are fighting the Covid Pandemic
so I don't go out much...  Just trying to
stay safe.  I live on the main
street of the city of Portland,
Maine....    Agreat view of all the
action going on in the city right now..
Lot's of people on the street and cars
and trucks blowing their horns...
for almost 5.5 hours this afternoon. 

I have never seen anything like it!!!
Lot's of celerbrating,  but I can't talk
about the WHY of it, in here....  :coolsmiley:

― Carl Sagan

Vanilla-Jackie

Sandy...
.. have you heard of the expression..." silence is golden " ;)

Just watching the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance with Charles and Camilla present, at the moment they are all standing in silence in their various uniforms whilst hundreds - thousands of red poppies are falling - fluttering down from the ceiling, this is being held inside the Royal Albert Hall...All public seats are empty, the choir are singing in each separate box, and all military and bands are distancing of course...

It is a fantastic building, i have been there the once for the Last Night of The Proms...

Denver

A good Saturday evening to ALL.

ONCE AGAIN.....I thank you all for your comforting words of encouragement and the ongoing prayers for Michele🙏🙏🙏

The winds have been horrific in many places it seems.  Mark's golf course opened for the first time this fall and when he arrived at work there were many tree limbs down all over the cart pathways.  The temperature is to drop here and next week we will be in the thirties all week long😩. The good news is the southwestern mountains are to get a couple of feet of snow or more.....so badly needed right now! 

JACKIE, I am sure proud of you for getting out there and doing the tasks you needed to do.  For some reason I thought you were on your scooter, not the walker!  How in the world did you get as far as you did?  Thank goodness you are home but I bet it left you totally exhausted 💤.  Take care and rest up😘

MARSGAL, I really enjoyed the clip you shared with us of your BIL, Jimmy and his friend Bill.  I enjoy Jazz and had a few wonderful years when we lived in Scottsdale AZ to meet a few Jazz Artists as our neighbor was a professional Jazz man.  These two gents have sure done a wonderful job of sharing their talents it seems. 

MARILYNE, I did not realize your AJ is a musician and played in Jazz and Big Bands.  How wonderful 🎹 🎺 🎷

PATRICIA, my goodness those temperatures you have been enduring are mighty cold.  No fun to be out in that ❄️ ☃️

SANDY, nice to see your tent bed and happy to read you slept well in it last night! 

We enjoyed the patriotic presidential elect speech tonight and the beautiful fireworks display.  It concerns me greatly every time I see the large groups of people out and about when they are not social distancing from one another, especially with the rise in numbers that we are experiencing right now. 😢😭😤 We just can not afford to ignore the threat of this horrible virus😩😩

Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Johann Mc

Dear Friends, I am sorry to have been absent so long but I seem to run out of energy before I can get here and really don't even turn on the the computer every day now.  Windell is 91 and is blind in his right eye and has very little vision in his left eye.  He also has difficulty adjusting his hearing aids now so communication is a little hectic sometimes.  He has also developed some dementia over the past 4-5 months and the pills for that make him very sleepy in between meals but he still periodically sees animals and people that are not there.  He loves fried seafood so we eat out about once a day and so far things have gone well. We eat at local restaurants that know us well and they put us over in a corner  or distance us from their other customers and it works well.  Sometimes I get takeouts and pick them up. There is a considerable amount of activity and traffic in our area but we always wear our masks and sanitize well afterward.
Jenny, so sorry to read the news about Michelle's struggle with her treatment. That is really hard and I will surely keep her in my prayers each day.
Vanilla-Jackie, I use a rollator a lot these days too when I am outside the house.  I don't have much cartilege in my left knee anymore and my right shoulder has some problems.  I have help for a half day three days a week from Comfort Keepers and my helper Anne is so sweet to us and so good with Windell.  I also have house cleaners that clean once a week and that is such a gift!
 One of the girls has been helping me since 2014 and she knows exactly what needs to be done! I don't visit a lot socially and my clubs have not been meeting since March.  My church circle has been meeting on Zoom this fall and Thursday nine of us out of about 20 made it online to the meeting and really enjoyed each other!
I was looking the other day at the booklet with the names of attendees from the 2000 Senior Net bash in Atlanta and it's really sobering how many of those people are no longer with us. I cmae here once in the spring and saw that Mary Ann Tock had passed away.  Bless all their hearts! Like Minnie Pearl used to say on the Grand Ole Opry, "I'm just so glad to be hyere!" :smitten:
I tried to get on using my telephone a couple of weeks ago and couldn't seem to get my password straight but it was still in my laptop so that's good. 

God bless all of you for being here!  I want to try to get here a little more often but it probably won't be every day.  God bless you all and keep you safe and healthy!