Random Image

COLD CLOTHESLINES

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

Marilyne, I hear you about short term memory. Mine really sucks these days.

I haven't watched the shipping today, but did check up on the weather on the Lakes and noted that on the Marine Traffic site there were a bunch of ships riding out the weather at Sarnia Anchorage. Just checked again and they are mostly all still there. John Munson looked like it was going to try the run up lake, but now has turned around. Must be one heck of a storm on the lakes.

Here, it has been very dreary and dark today. This morning shortly before I headed out to the grocery store, we had some big snowflakes blowing about for a little bit. It was dry the rest of the day until a bit ago. The breeze has stiffened and it is wet out. Weatherman estimated a high of 64 today, but it only got to 58.

Shan is getting anxious to play and Oscar has come up to pest, so I guess that means I am to go pay attention to my critters.

Everyone, enjoy your evening.

CallieOK

MarsGa,  comments on Port Huron site said ships were docking because of high winds and incoming storms.
 I lost access to the Sarnia "BoatNerd" site when YouTube said it was "private" and denied access. Finally found it in webcam list at side of StreamTime and have replaced the first one in my Favorites.
Lots of snow at Duluth but shipping lanes look clear. 

TMT on Grands and Education re: Marilyne's post.  Miss Ellen's sister, Miss Emily has been in Kansas this week to take her final Board exams before graduating in December with her Doctorate of Chiropractic degree.  Apparently, she didn't have to quarentine when she got there.  At this time, graduation ceremonies are live and family is planning to attend (I have "tentatively" agreed to go). 
Miss Ellen plans to come for Christmas in time to go, also. She has her flight booked but I'm guessing final plans will depend on travel developments between now and then.

Sir Carson's classes at OSU are going all viral beginning with Thanksgiving week break and continuing until January when second emester begins. This includes Finals.

Netflix has reminded me that the new season of "The Crown" has begun.  A new PBS series on "Secrets of Royal Travel" begins tonight and I'm enjoying watching "The Trouble With Maggie Gray", a British comedy also on PBS. Guess my evening is set.

TTYL

patricia19

Marilyne, there are four developed hot springs close to us in the Interior, the closest being 60 miles and the farthest 170 miles from downtown Fairbanks. Resorts have sprung up around the springs, and Alaskans, as well as visitors, find them places of relaxation and escape. In general, the further from town, the more rustic the resort. Several more such as the Melozi Hot Springs or Tolvavan, which are privately owned by Doyon Limited, a Native Corporation, and privately owned and on private property.

We usually head to Chena Hot Springs in a collection of campers to avoid the stiff room charges & use the outdoor parking, which is about one third the price. Also, we bring our own drinking water as the water has so much sulfur in it. We bring our own food as the present restaurant really doesn't have much to boast about. In fact, Trip Advisors reviews reflect this. It's better to reserve a camping space or outdoor parking and enjoy the various aspects other than the hotel and restaurant. You can hike in the hills around the resort, but many are armed and bring dogs as run-ins with bears are possible. The resort dates from 1902. Amy, notice the gray jays.

In winter,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHoQd4cOZl0

Alaska's Northern Lights,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMFRdwHMY5o

In summer,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn-XHJftGA

Marilyne

Patricia  -  I really enjoyed the entire video, showing the Chena Hot Springs Pool, the Ice Museum, and the Northern Lights.  Interesting and fun to watch.  The Hot Springs pool is gorgeous!  I'd love to be soaking in it right now. Have you been in it?   The Ice Museum is unique and colorful, and of course the Northern Lights are always a treat to watch.  I'm sending this on to daughter Sandy, to watch.  She'll love it! 

patricia19

Marilyne, yes, for 65 years.

"We usually head to Chena Hot Springs in a collection of campers to avoid the stiff room charges & use the outdoor parking, which is about one third the price. Also, we bring our own drinking water as the water has so much sulfur in it. We bring our own food as the present restaurant really doesn't have much to boast about. In fact, Trip Advisors reviews reflect this. It's better to reserve a camping space or outdoor parking and enjoy the various aspects other than the hotel and restaurant. You can hike in the hills around the resort, but many are armed and bring dogs as run-ins with bears are possible. The resort dates from 1902."

so_P_bubble

This reminded me of the hot springs in Switzerland. I was sent there for treatment in '53 and to learn to swim. It was winter, snow all around like in the video. After being in for 30 minutes (the amount allowed by the monitors because of the high heat) I did not even bother to dress again but walked back in my bathing costume, I was so hot!

At the time bathing suits were not in lycra or any synthetic material but wool or cotton. Mine literally disintegrated after  three months of sulfur water. 

Vanilla-Jackie

Best worn on a naturist beach, maybe...
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

Marilyne, both Port Huron and Marine City cams went down yesterday afternoon. Boat Nerd's cam is up and running this morning as is Algonac. It looks like some of the ships are moving again, including the British flagged ship Sider Amy. Paul is heading towards Port Huron, destined for St. Clair. I will probably miss it this morning, but if the Boat Nerd cam doesn't go flaky like it does sometimes, you can probably catch it.

Patricia I love looking at the aurora videos people post to YouTube and Vimeo, and have dowloaded quite a number of photos from https://spaceweather.com/ to use for my desktop background. Right now, they have some photos of the SpaceX launch posted. I watched that live last night via the NASA feed.

patricia19

Good early morning, (It's 5:28); from the Interior with minus 18 and some light snow. We had some wind last night and what sounded like a very cheerfully loud serenading by a happy individual in the street below.

We have an air quality alert from the people in outlying areas using wood to heat in cold times. We're the only area I know of who can have beautiful air in the summer and a stage 1 or stage 2 air quality alert in the winter when it's below freezing.

MarsGal, we have several evenings with the Aurora, both naturally and when the University seeds the clouds with barium gas so they can study the aurora. I copied your link for my favorites; thank you!

I enjoyed watching the videos and Norway's Northern Lights. Unfortunately, most of the space events are further south, and we rarely see meteor showers. The SpaceX photos were so interesting. We've become so jaded or perhaps so caught up in the divide between what is and what was or was believed that we've missed the historic parts of our times.

Bubble, how interesting! I didn't know that there were hot springs in Switzerland, but then I, like many from the US, are woefully ignorant of anything outside our borders. I have photos from the CD that my cousin sent me of women from my family playing in the Ouray, Colorado hot springs in those earlier swim costumes. I will have to look for that CD so I can post those photos! The hot springs has two indoor pools and the outdoor one and a steam room and sauna.

Marilyne

Bubble - Very interesting to hear that there are therapeutic baths in Switzerland, and that you were there so long ago.  Helps me remember friends of mine who were stricken with the dreaded polio, in the 1930's and 40's.  I remember one girl in particular, who went for treatments of hot moist packs on her legs, that were called "Sister Kinney treatments".  I wonder if that was just a local therapy, or more widespread?   The wool bathing suits were the only ones available, back in the 1920's and early 30's. Before our time, but I have some old snapshots of my mother and dad at the beach in Southern California, wearing those suits.  I'll find them, and make some copies, and you can post them for me. 

I am full of regret, that we have areas of hot springs throughout California, and I have never been to any of them.  There are many in the desert, near Palm Springs, that are very popular with tourists.  The one nearest to where I live, is called The Geysers, and is North of here in Calistoga, near Napa.  My brother and his wife lived fairly close, and used to go there.

MarsGal - Like you, I also had aurora videos on my desktop for a long time. I'll look today, and see if I can find them and enjoy them once again.  I did finally get to see "Paul", at Duluth, the last time he went through. I'm planning to once agin, follow my favorites, now that we are back to sheltering in place.  Plenty of time on my hands now. 

Patricia - Like you, I have many regrets, that I didn't travel more, when I was younger and very able!   Always a reason why not - usually the cost, and not enough time.  However, there was no excuse for not visiting the local sights, right here in my own State!  I remember having big dreams for the things we wanted to do when we retired . . . but then more important things happened, that took precedence over dreams.

Amy

Patricia, loved the videos!! Would enjoy a long soak in the hot springs while watching the Northern Lights.

Years ago we would be able to see the Northern Lights on a clear night..but I doubt if one could see them now.

ps.....we are getting your snow now  :))
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

Where we camp most in CO, Mt.Princeton Hot Springs... has grown to almost a city by itself since the first time I took the boys to swim in the hot springs. I actually planned to shower & wash my hair after but the power was out (50 years ago) amd the water was too hot for me. I had trouble breathing since my temp zoomed right up with the water temp! I've met quite a few people that come to use the hot springs... the Lodge has built quite a few different pools & areas for different groups. Anyway, from what one lady said, the springs are half price to seniors with the Golden Age Passports. We have used their showers at the price it costs to swim, but found a better place to shower that also uses the hot springs water. After my first shower I came out (dressing room joins the shower so private), lady waiting to go in asked about it & my comment was, "I know what a lobster feels like!!!"  I have trouble staying in long enough to get the shampoo rinsed out of my hair! But after several days in the campground a shower feels good. https://mtprinceton.com/historic-hot-springs/

Interesting links, Patricia... so many things we will be missing the next year or so... or maybe forever.

so_P_bubble

Marilyne,
Sister Kenny's treatments were famous everywhere. I had a Scottish nurse who was an addict of "Scottish baths", meaning being immersed in very hot water, then very cold and back again many times.  I have no idea if it was helpful, I do not remember as I was 2 or 3 y old.
Many other treatments were barbaric too...

To this day I enjoy the hot spas.

patricia19

Good morning from the Interior where it is clear, no cloud cover, which means it's cold and will stay cold!

Amy, in my youth, my family would get together with other families and go to a friend's house up on the ridge. They had a twisty, three-mile plowed driveway, and everyone brought their sleds. The designated drivers went first, and when they were at the bottom at the pull-out, all the kids and adults piled on the sleds for a fast trip to the end of the drive. The cars would drive everyone back up and then repeat. Afterward, everyone would gather in the backyard by the fire for hot chocolate and smores. Altho the parents probably enjoyed a little extra in their chocolate!

I don't know if families still do that type of fun with friends, even before the pandemic. When my daughter was little, we managed a chain of apartments in Anchorage, three complexes, two houses, and a condo at Alesyka, a ski resort. So we basically worked, other than a two-week vacation at a cabin on Lake Louise.

Marilyne, my younger sister, traveled through Europe and had a Florentine boyfriend, while my older sister traveled thru the US, and of course, my parents were overseas in the forties. I married two months out of high school, sure it was undying love, and had my daughter three years later. Other than family vacations to see relatives in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Northern California, I saw via my exes several Army, Navy, and Air Force bases and road trips thru BC and a day trip into Mexico. I missed out on so much by marrying early and unwisely.

Shirley, I looked at your links; very nice! Most of the hot springs here are on private land and no trespassing, so I don't know their conditions. Doyon Native Corporation is tribal, so no trespassing there either. However, the other two are both very similar. Circle Hot Springs has only one large outdoor pool and several greenhouses. You saw the video for Chena Hot Springs.

No, things will never be as we remember them, and Covid, like polio and the flu, will always be here. But with vaccines, it will be possible to have a new normal by 2024, according to what's known.

Bubble, I need to look up Sister Kenny's treatments. And Scottish baths. I've never heard of either. I don't think that shocking the system by rapid shifting from hot to cold and back would be helpful?

I loved going with friends to the hot springs, but our last trip was a couple of years ago. It's the same with roaming the public areas of the wildlife refuge. I don't think I could do it now, even with the boardwalks.

Marilyne

Bubble -
I think the Sister Kenny Treatments were done a lot here in California.  I guess the idea of the hot packs and also the hot springs, were to encourage the paralyzed muscles to begin to relax?  It probably didn't work, at all.  Now we see so many people our age, who did fairly well over time, but now suffer from post polio syndrome. I remember the joyful excitement, when the Salk vaccine was first introduced, followed by the Sabin.

Shirley - in 1950, I went on a trip to Colorado, with my best friend and her family.  Our destination was her grandparent's farm in a small town called Hugo.  But on the way there we spent a night in Glennwood Springs, Co.  I had forgotten that the huge pool we swam in and played in, was water from the Glennwood Hot Springs.  It was and still is, the largest pool I have ever seen in my lifetime!  I was so impressed at the time, but had forgotten that the water was from the actual springs.  It was warm water, not hot.  You might enjoy going there if you ever return to Co.

Everyone who is interested in seeing this immense Glennwood Springs pool, look at these photos!  You can understand why a 16 year old girl, was very impressed!
https://www.google.com/search?q=glennwood+springs&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj3n7CpsortAhWIkZ4KHWYZBZgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=Glennwoo&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADIGCAAQChAYMgYIABAKEBgyBAgAEBg6BAgAEEM6BQgAELEDOgcIABCxAxBDUIJDWIZVYJ53aABwAHgAgAF1iAHCBJIBAzcuMZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nsAEAwAEB&sclient=img&ei=Mi-0X_e-HYij-gTmspTACQ&bih=629&biw=1280&client=safari

patricia19

Marylne, as I had never heard or had forgotten about Glenwood Springs, I had to take a look! It must be nearer to Denver and on the opposite side of the Pass. My Coloradian relatives have ranches in the Montrose area and I also have family in Ouray and their hotsprings which I've loved each time.

https://tinyurl.com/yxvqchp9

CallieOK

Glenwood Springs is west of Denver and past Vail on I-70.  It's a popular route to Aspen which is south of GS. 

Until the Eisenhower Tunnel was built, you had to go over Loveland Pass to get there. I remember hauling a pool table from Denver to our home in Leadville over the Pass.  #2 son lost his first tooth in the middle of the tunnel.

I also know where Hugo is... first small town southeast of Limon out on the eastern prairie!!!!!  Hubby's first teaching job was in Agate, the next little town north of Limon. We may have played Hugo in basketball.  (I have conveniently forgotten most of our time in Agate!!! Leadville felt like moving to a metropolis!!!!!}
[/b}

patricia19

Callie, I have relatives all over the area of Montrose, Ouray, and Grand Junction. But I've never been to the other side of the pass, and now I probably won't be able to. Sad.

CallieOK

Patricia , which Pass are you talking about? I don't know much about the west side of Colorado. Son went to basketball camp in Grand Junction and we went to Durango for state h.s. ski meet when hubby was chairman of the ski committee for state athletic association but, otherwise, we stuck to the east side of the continental divide

Marilyne

Callie - I remember you and I talked about Hugo, in the distant past!  It was in the Library Bookshelf folder,  way back when we were all reading the novels by Kent Haruf.  I mentioned spending time in Hugo, and was thinking that the small town depicted in the Haruf stories sounded a lot like Hugo.  We talked about both having been there in the long long ago.  I think it was determined that Haruf's novels took place in a neighboring town - maybe Limon?

Shirley

A quick note, been all over CO, way too fast most of the time. I would make a list of things to see & do & Cas would cram them in a couple days. One of our neighbors laughed about or speedy trips... BUT, I did get to see the state. When I started taking the boys and left the master home to play golf, we mostly went to the same campground with plenty of side day trips or just hiking the area. It was gorgeous, every nook & cranny...

I'm not sure but think Glenwood Springs was where Goldie Hawn & whatshisname lived a lot. We drove through. My fav parts are not what MAN built, but the glorious mountains & streams.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  Kent Haruf's fictional town was east of Ft. Collins - on the north side of the state. I think that area is more agricultural than the ranching area around Hugo.

Shirley, living in Colorado is different from vacationing there.  It is gorgeous but, somehow, when you are living in a "regular" house in a "regular" town - ;and can spend any day you want exploring the back country in your 4-wheel vehicle and then go home and sleep in your own bed - plus see the highest peaks in the Continental Divide from horizon to horizon just looking out your window,, you aren't quite as interested in sight-seeing. . 

Shirley

Guess what, Callie... probably half the campers we visited with were from CO and came to wake up in the woods and hear those mountain streams.  And I have a sister & daughter that think I am crazy as a loon..... ???

CallieOK

Shirley, of course there are those in Colorado who go to the mountains.  I-70 was bumper to bumper going west every Friday and bumper to bumper going east every Sunday!  Many were what we called "Flatlanders" from the cities along I-25 or the eastern plains coming to enjoy the High Country. And there were those in Leadville who enjoyed camping out.

I grew up roaming around our 160 acres of pasture, ponds and woods in southeastern Oklahoma (which has hills and woods and rivers/streams unlike the flat open prairies west of I-35) - and loved spending dawn 'til "dark-thirty" out in the mountains around Leadville. But come bedtime, I preferred sleeping at home. I just don't do campers or tents, etc.
To each his/her own.   :smitten:

Shirley

Haha, and remember Joan also thought I was crazy..... ;D

Denver

I am finally back and able to post.  Somehow I managed to delete all of my saved folders and it has taken me awhile to get my iPad up and running again so I could start loading things back in. 

We sure have been enjoying some wonderful warm weather for being in the middle of November. I certainly am not complaining😘. Our new Covid restrictions are extremely concerning.  We cancelled our plans to go to California for our youngest grandsons 2nd Birthday today, due to the increase in Covid numbers.  It sure was not a easy decision to make, but a necessary one😩😩

Dave and Michele had to buy a new furnace as theirs died overnight Sunday.  The new one will be installed tomorrow afternoon.  Thankfully we had mild temps during this time when they were without heat. 

I enjoyed all of the videos you have shared.  The hot springs sure look enticing this time of the year. 

SHIRLEY, I think Goldie and Kurt Russell lived in Snowmass, near Aspen rather than Glenwood.  I lived in Glenwood Springs when I was in the 4th grade.  We lived just behind, and up on the hill overlooking the pool.  It was quite different back then.  That would have been in '56 and '57.  The main thing I remember about living there is how short the days were in the winter being in a canyon as it is. 

MARILYNE, I thought the pool in Glenwood was HUGE.  Nice that you were able to stay there to swim. Friday we will going into a worse area of the Covid restrictions.  It just said no indoor or outdoor dining.....oh my, this is going to be terrible for the few restaurants that have hung on by their shoe laces.  So sad.

PATRICIA, how sad that you never got to the Eastern Slope of Colorado.  My personal opinion is the Western Slope is the prettiest part of the state.  I have lived in many places on both sides of the state. 

Hope everyone has a good night of rest. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

phyllis

It's been 70 years  since I lived in Colorado (mid-50's) and I still miss it.  I always said that if we could go back to one of the places that we had lived in the U.S. it would be CO.  Tom and I lived near, and in, Loveland while he went to State at Ft. Collins and I vacationed in my teens around Colorado Springs.  I don't know much about the western side of the mtns. but I do remember "in the old days" that Loveland Pass would close early in the winter because of snow and if you wanted to cross the Divide you had to go South to cross over.  No tunnel in those days.  And, I woke up every morning to look out at Long's Peak to see what kind of day it was going to be.

We did a lot of sight seeing...as much as our meagre budget and two very small boys would allow.  And a lot of picnicking in and around Rocky Mtn. Park.  It was a wonderful place to live.
phyllis
Cary,NC

patricia19

Good morning from an Interior at minus 19° where all is white and silent. No one has shoveled any of the sidewalks unless it's by a business. I can only imagine it must be due to layoffs per the pandemic.

Speaking of that, we had someone else taken away by ambulance last night. I don't know any of the particulars or if that one is related to the previous three or each other at all. I don't even know if any are related to COVID. However, Fairbanks is experiencing forty to sixty daily new cases, and the ages keep dropping.

Callie, it has been several years since visiting Colorado, and my relatives have always lived on ranches or farms instead of towns since they left Kansas to move to Colorado in the thirties. I'm not even sure if I'm correct in believing they lived on the western half, just that there were mountains between them and  Denver. However, my recollections have always included going back and forth on Monarch. I hope my assumptions haven't led me down that proverbial path.

While proofreading my post and last line, I realized that I spent a lot of space, making assumptions and saying little.  A self-fulfilling prophecy?

Marilyne

Interesting how most of us who post here in B&T, have had a connection to  Colorado.   I know that I loved it when I went as a teenager with my friend and her family.   My friend and I returned the following year on the train, and worked in her grandfather's pharmacy in Hugo, and on a couple of ranches outside of town.   We both had boy friends for the Summer, and had a wonderful time.   About 20 years ago, AJ and I spent some sightseeing time in Colorado, on our way back from visiting. his relatives in Minnesota.  I love everything about the State, and can understand why so many people are leaving California and moving there.   

Jenny - How nice that you lived for a while in Glenwood.   Such a beautiful area!  Sorry you had to cancel your plans to visit your Palm Springs family!  Covid cases have surged out of control in Southern California, so just as well that you don't come at this time.   I'm afraid it will be a bleak Holiday Season for all of us.   AJ and I will be alone for Thanksgiving.  I don't know yet about Christmas?

Phyllis - Nice to see you posting here, and learn that you too, have fond memories of Colorado.  If you're looking for something to watch on TV, look at
HGTV On Demand, for a show called "Buying the Rockies".   Lots of interesting and remote high altitude towns in CO, where people choose to buy homes.  We've watched all the episodes, and enjoyed seeing the beautiful log homes, and the spectacular views.

Patricia - I'm sure you wish you could return to Colorado to visit your remaining family.  The older you get, the more impossible it becomes,
I'm afraid.  I always hoped to get back again to Nevada, to visit the mining camps, and now ghost towns,  where my mother and grandmother were born. Still relatives living in those remote towns.  Also my Dad was born in a lumber camp way up by the Oregon border.  I'd love to see that beautiful country again too, but will have to live with my memories.

Shirley - Good to see you here in B&T, and I'm so glad that you're feeling so much better!   I guess you can see your family over the holidays, without worry of infecting them, or of catching anything yourself?  Although it was rough - it must be a relief to have survived Covid, and not have worry about it anymore.

patricia19

Marilyne, on my maternal side, I have Kansas and Colorado. On my father's side, I have Missouri Joplin and Lamarr, as well as Northern California, in I believe Redwood City. I know in the sixties, my uncle had a walnut orchard.

I keep in touch with some cousins on my mother's side but have lost track on my father's side.

I'm so excited! I just found an old pair of glasses, and I can see again! It made my day! Even better, I will be able to leave my apartment and my building! They're loose, but tightening them will be easy!