Random Image

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Jenny, I am sure the strength will come back as long as I do what the Dr said..

Marilyne, I forot to say my favourite pie is raspberry or raisin..love them both. To be honest I have not met a pie I didn't like :).
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Joy

Oh !  So nice to see the pretty background. Michael, thank you so much for cheering us all up.

I think we all really needed this. 

Sounds like everyone had a nice day. 

Jean, I can certainly understand how your DIL feels. Holidays are all so very hard to deal with, especially, since it hasn't been too long since you lost your grandson. 

I had a nice day, even tho I was by myself.  My dinner was good and I have lots of left overs, 

Today has been a lazy day so far.  My DIL is coming over to help me get a few Christmas things out of my closet.  We have a little siting area right outside of my apartment, and another lady and I have been decorating that area for a long time,  She has already done her part, and I have a little tree that I put up and decorate and a few other things around the room.  I want to get started on that later this afternoon.

It is a pretty sunny day, but I think it is getting colder.  I had to push my thermostat up a little bit, as I was so cold.

Have a nice rest of the afternoon and please stay safe.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Add me to the list of those with hand problems. I can't grip anything, anymore, so constantly dropping almost everything I pick up!  Also ordinary tasks like peeling potatoes or cutting with scissors, are no longer possible. My hands look ugly too!  Twisted and bent fingers, and fragile skin   I have to keep Band-Aids handy at all times.  Ouch!

AJ is worse than I am.  He will have minor surgery next Friday, for a hand problem.  It's not Arthritis,  it's for a recurring  problem called   Dupuytren's  Contracture.    Difficult to describe, so anyone who is interested, you can Google it.  It's actually very interesting, and is prevalent in older folks of Northern European descent.   He had the surgery once before about 10 years ago, but the problem slowly returns.

Joy - good to see you checking in this morning.  I'm going to follow your example, and start some Christmas decorating today.   Nothing elaborate here, just our small artificial tree, and a few other items.

Jean - I understand that Thanksgiving was very difficult for your whole family, but especially your son and daughter-in-law.   Christmas will be especially hard this year also.    I'm glad your dinner with Gigi and Jeff, turned out well.  Like you, I haven't much of an appetite anymore, so I'm not enthusiastic about big meals.  I do seem to have a craving for sweets! 

MarsGal - Last night, I finally saw Paul, on the Duluth Cam!   It was very snowy and cold looking, but still, there was a good crowd people there to watch and wave.  Maybe the last time I'll see him, before dry-dock in January. 

Jenny - Glad you all had a nice TG day together.  Sorry Michele is feeling  sick, but certainly understandable.  Prayers from me, still going out to her every day!   Football is so "iffy" these day, thanks to Covid!  Most of the college games that AJ likes seem to always get cancelled.  We did watch the Oregon/Oregon, game!  Our grandson graduated OSU, so we were very happy to watch them win! 

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

I like the holiday decorations.  Thank you, Michael. 

The OU/West VA football game was postponed until December 12 so I just finished watching OKSTate beat Texas Tech by 6 points.  Interesting final plays by OSU to run out the time without giving Tex Tech a chance at getting the  ball.

My hands don't look any different and I can still do most things.  I've never had a strong grip but current problem seems to be putting pressure on anything - like making a knife cut through something "tough" or pressing the back of the remote hard enough to open the battery cover.  Also having to use a stylus to tap out texts on phone or play games on Tablet.  Ah - these "Aging Annoyances".  >:(

I've taken down and put away the Fall decorations but doubt I'll begin anything Christmasy until it's actually December.  Next door neighbor has already wrapped his tree with solar Christmas lights and will probably have mult-colored strings of lights lining the roof and fence by the end of the weekend. 
Then I won't need a porch light until January!

Estate sale today a couple of doors from me.  Lots of cars along the street so won't be able to go to the mailbox until closing time. 

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere has had a Enjoyable Day.

FlaJean

It is dark and rainy here in Northwest Florida with a temp of 63°.  we've had lots of sunny weather so we do need the rain.

Gigi was busy decorating for Christmas and texting me photos yesterday and has gotten me in the mood to get out my few decorations.  I have a small tree that lights and has some colorful balls on it.  I used to put up a village around a big tree but no more.

Things are pretty quiet in our area and not much going on to post about.  I hope everyone has a good day.

Marilyne

Good afternoon to everyone looking in today.

Jean - I hope you post some photos, when you get your Christmas decorations all set up.  I'd love to see your tree and anything else.  I remember the pictures you posted of your yard/garden a while back, and I enjoyed seeing them. 

Callie - on Saturday, we were happy to see Stanford beat Cal,  and Oregon State U, beat U of Oregon.  :cheer:  Then our third favorite team, LSU, lost to Texas A&M.  :(    LSU has had a great team the past couple of years, but apparently everyone graduated!  Anyway, it's nice to see most of the college teams playing in recent weeks!    AJ doesn't watch Pro football anymore, except for the Super Bowl, so he especially looks forward to the college games.  Our decorations will be sparse this year, but he plans to put up a string of lights across the front of the garage, and the lower roof line.  Nothing fancy - just the old fashioned multicolored lights that don't do anything except just shine.  I hope our  neighbors will do something more interesting?  A couple of houses on the street have gone all out in the past few years, and I always enjoy the light show from our front windows. 

patricia19

Marilyne

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JENNY!
Have a wonderful birthday today, and many more!
:wave2:

Amy

Jenny, Happy Birthday to you!! May your day be a special as you!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

FlaJean

It rained most of the night but the sun is shining this morning.  We are having a cold spell for a couple of days.  Suppose to get down to the low 30s for several nights which means we will have to cover up the several blooming plants we have.

I want to get my little tree out and a decoration or two and that will be my decorating done.  They always do such nice decorations around city hall and the library area in Niceville so it will be interesting to see if the pandemic has changed anything.

Patricia, I'm glad I'm the one sitting in the chair reading in that clip.  The pandemic has really slowed us down to the basics.  The governor of this state has opened up everything and isn't even bothering being careful.  No wonder the virus is peaking.  But we are being more careful than ever.

Marilyne, the LA area where our great grandchildren live is in bad shape and everything is locked down, but the pandemic doesn't seem as bad in your area.  I haven't noticed any news about fires lately.  Have you all had any rain?  That is interesting about Dupuytren's Contracture.  A neighbor of ours in Ocala had that problem.

My next door neighbor has had both her hands operated on in the last couple of months and shortly before that her husband had a heart attack.  It seems we all have our problems as we age.

Good to hear from you, Joy, that you had a nice Thanksgiving in spite of being by yourself.

Marsgal, I bet your pets keep you busy and are a lot of company during this pandemic when we are all so cut off from our usual visits.

Callie, you always manage to stay busy.

Jackie, how is everything going with you?  Haven't seen a post lately.

Sandy, we are having a little of your cold weather for a few days.  You're fortunate your apartment has a window to some activity.  Makes life a little more interesting.

I think of you all when I post and when I don't.  well, now I think I'll get busy and see what little I can accomplish.😁. And a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you JENNY.

patricia19

Tomereader1

Amy

Patricia ,that is a beautiful setting!
Jimmy Dean

patricia19

Thank you, Amy!

Good morning from a frosty Interior! Nothing new here other than this back and forth temperature exchange has my fingers and toes tingling. I hate it when my arthritis gets into the little bones between the pad and joint!

Other than that, my day is going well, I slept better last night after not sleeping the night before, and I've had a warm shower, a cup of coffee, and my morning round-robin of cell calls and texts. I miss seeing my local friends, but I'd miss hearing from them so much more.

We had another two inches of snow overnight, covering Sunday's layer of ice, so it's dark and slippery out there beyond my balcony; luckily no plans to move further than the washing machines. I've got my humidifier going, so no more sore noses and scratchy throats, plus only sixteen days left on my restrictions.

I was not looking forward to restricting my food, and now I'm not looking forward to additions and further upsets. Perhaps I should stay on it? Unfortunately, my allergist won't agree. I can see him rolling his eyes!

Jean, I know exactly what you mean re Governors, plus there are those chafing under the new restrictions even after each new day brings a higher number of new cases, increasing by more than a hundred per day. I miss seeing my friends, but this way, I will eventually see them again.

I don't know about Christmas or solstice activities this year as everything has been on lockdown since last March. I will celebrate the solstice on December 21st as it brings back the light minute by minute and more light, less cold, more warmth. We've no expectations of the usual high school hallway carolers or grade school children bringing gift baggies to that social room locked since March.

Nor any expectations of a holiday Christmas dinner and building get together. I know many are missing various social activities, club meetings, and movie nights. I know I miss our bi-monthly Tuesday afternoon lectures from either the University or other organizations. I even miss that running gossip narrative I used to dislike so much.

CallieOK

:hb3: Jenny!!

The lens on one side of my glasses suddenly dropped out last night....and then I stepped on it.  :tickedoff:
Fortunately, I have another pair with the same prescription so managed with one side in and one side out until bedtime and put the substitutes on first thing this morning.  A bit of an adjustment and I don't like them as well but it's doable.

I guess I've sorta participated in Cyber-Monday shopping....if ordering three Gift Cards counts.  DIL had mentioned things from a sewing/craft web site.  They send the gift cards via e-mail and I don't want her to get it now. So I "contacted" them as to when I should place the order.  Haven't heard, yet, so may have to "improvise" and then order it for her after Christmas.

Now need to pay bills.  "Turn around, Callie, and Get Busy"  :whip:

Beverly

Just stopping in to let you know I haven't forgotten you. Been having some problems and haven't been on the computer. I spent a few days in the hospital. Came home on Thanksgiving Day. I've gone through several tests, CT Scans, X-Rays, etc. Still have more to go. I'll try to keep you posted.

Hope you all are doing well.

Happy Belated Birthday Jenny!

Shirley

Happy Birthday, Jenny! Hope you had calls from the kids (but no hugs from Jonah) :'(

I'm still running slow these days, seems this is one of the after effects of Covid that can go on for months!  Do not need any extra gearing down at this age! 

Sorry about the hospital stay, Beverly, that is enough to scare anyone (hospitals right now)... Hope you get better fast.

My computer is crazy tonight, every time I give it a break it shuts down & I have to start & login again... like it is updating... Bedtime so will give it a good night sleep.

Denver

Thank you ALL for the nice Birthday Wishes.  I enjoyed a great day with many telephone calls, emails, texts and FaceTime Calls.  I thought a lot about Our June today.....this is the first Birthday that were not able to share greetings to each other on OUR Birthday.  I sure miss that sweet lady and I wish her a HAPPY  HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY 🙏🙏

BEVERLY, I am sorry to read that you have not been well and have been in the hospital.  Glad you are home and I hope and pray you will get through the other tests and have answers soon.  Feel stronger every day, please. 

PATRICIA, snow over ice sure is not good.  Glad you are not planning to get out. Good to have a humidifier going.....they are necessary this time of the year with the heat running.  Your art is beautiful and it meant a lot to me. 

JEAN, I saw that you were getting a lot of rain down your way.  I was shocked when I heard that the governor of FL was not calling for tighter restrictions.  Our governor and his partner both have Covid.  The mayor of Denver told everyone to stay home and cancel TG plans....not to travel, and then he boarded a plane and headed to the South to be with his wife and daughter. 

MARILYNE, my hubby prefers college over pro as well, but these days it is hit and miss on what teams will be able to play.  My Broncos played yesterday without any of our QB's....IMHO no one should be playing any contact sports.....we need to get this virus under control!  It has been brought to my attention that my hand issue might be Dupuytren's  Contracture.  I am trying to get through until early next year to go in to see about what I should do. 

Pleasant dreams to ALL.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MarsGal

Oh, another B-Day! Happy belated Birthday, Jenny!.

Beverly
, sorry to hear you were in hospital for a few days. I am glad you are home again.

I got a treat last night, watching the live stream at Tembe Elephant Park: five giraffe this time, a lioness (radio collared), a rabbit (HUH?) and a huge beetle. I didn't know Africa has rabbits. This one had the long ears kind of like a jackrabbit. The lion, after drinking from the pond, lay down a while and every once in a while gave out a call, listening for an answer. She looked sad.

MarsGal

Jean, you are right. I just checked her postings, and Jackie hasn't posted since November 16. I do hope she is all right.

Marilyne

Beverly  - So sorry to see that you've spent time in the hospital, and undergoing  many tests and procedures.  We hadn't heard from you in a long time here in B&T, and I also checked your FB, and saw that you hadn't posted anything there either.  I will be sending prayers and positive thoughts to you, and  hopes that you will be feeling better soon.

Jenny    - I saw on the news, that your Governor had flown to visit family in another state over TG.  ::)  >:(    Sounds much like our Gov, and his now infamous birthday dinner with 12 people at the 5-Star restaurant in Napa!  :o  Do as I say, not as I do! LOL.  That's interesting, that you might have Dupuytren's.  It's a slow growing condition, so probably you won't be ready to get any treatment for a long time. AJ has his "surgery" this Friday.

MarsGal - I'm going to take a look the Tembe cam, when I finish this message.  So far I've checked a couple of times, but haven't yet seen any of the big guys!  I'm too impatient to sit and wait for long - just like the lake cams.  I get restless after about five minutes. 

Callie - Sorry about your glasses, but good that you had an extra pair.  Remember the old days, when lenses were made of glass!?  :yikes:  I wasn't the greatest about remembering my glasses case, so they were always getting scratched up, broken or lost.  I sat down on a quite a few pairs over the years . . .  the frames get hopelessly bent out of shape, but the lenses now survive!

I'll be back later to say hello to Jean, Shirley, Patricia and Amy.

patricia19

Good morning from the Interior where we're in the midst of an ice rink. This year has been one of smashing every known record climate-wise and with the pandemic.

I checked with the member list and Jackie has been here different times each day so perhaps simply nothing new to report as many feel.

Today will be a couch potato day for me as not much going on or needing to be done. I'm at the halfway mark on my food restrictions and so far so good.

I did start posting Christmas graphics in Cards, but it will be lonely as Bubble is out with computer problems and she won't be able to get service until the tenth. She will be missed.

I hope everyone is having a good day and in good health! Marilyne, I hope AJ's surgery goes well for him on the 4th!

Tomereader1

I was worrying about Jackie too.  Glad you've seen where she has posted lately.

MarsGal

Marilyne, I didn't see anything last night either except for a very few antelope in the distance and, of course, the birds. This morning at around 5AM Eastern, there was still only one elephant about. Yesterday before dark over there I did see four young antelope racing and chasing each other and one pair horn sparring. The grass seems to be getting greener. Spring seems to have sprung.

Off to the Dr's this morning to see him about a foot problem. If I don't have to go for x-rays or a doppler, I may stop at the grocery on the way home. I don't have much I want to pick up, but am just about out of bread. 

Marilyne

Beverly - Hope we hear from you today, and that you're feeling better. Please keep us posted on your tests, and how you're doing?

Patricia - Every day is a "couch potato day for me.  I don't seem to be able to get anything done around this old dump of a house.  The spare bedroom downstairs, is used for storage, and has gotten completely out of control in the past eight months.  I'd need a bulldozer to clear everything out.   

Jean - Yes Southern California, is in worse shape than we are up here, as far a Covid is concerned.   Both sections of the State are in a severe drought right now, so that's adding to all the other problems.  The sun shines brightly every day here, and our temps are in the mid 60's during the day.   Southern Cal has been in the 70's, and even the 80's in the inland areas.  No rain in sight for the first half of December.   The bland weather encourages people to get out and go places, which is dangerous right now.  That's why everything has been shut down again - trying to keep people at home.

MarsGal - I hope your foot problem is nothing requiring x-rays?   I still haven't had a lot of luck with the Tembe cam, but I now have it on my desktop, so will check it more often.

Amy & Shirley - I really enjoy see your messages here in Bait and Tackle!   I hope you both continue to post here.

Amy

I have posted this in SS and thought maybe some of you would also like the pattern.

For anyone wanting to make masks..no fog ones for those that wear glasses.

https://youtu.be/HvoYzOPfwf8
Jimmy Dean

Sandy

Amy
I love the mask ideas!
https://youtu.be/HvoYzOPfwf8
Thank you so much for sharing
that... 

I wonder how well they fit? 
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

I agree, great idea! I'm already lifting the nose piece for a few seconds regularly to try and disperse the fogging!

I just finished my weekly diary check in with the nurse and learned something surprising! For all you people craving chocolate, it's not actually the chocolate but the magnesium in that chocolate you're craving!

Amy

Sandy, my friend made one, she used a luncheon plate as a template...said it fit her just perfect. She also said they are faster to make than the ones with the tree pleats. Said it was a nice snug fit, I will try them and see just how they are.

Patricia, one of our Drs also had the same problem so he used tape to hold the mask to his face and had his glasses over top of that. Seemed to work for him.
Jimmy Dean

patricia19