Random Image

Farm

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:56:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Happy January 1, 2021, to everyone!  It's a beautiful sunny day here - temp is already at 60, and it's only noon.  Supposed to hit 64 today, and then maybe it will cloud up and rain a little bit tomorrow.  By a little bit, I mean measured in tenths of an inch!  Every little bit helps, so better than nothing.

Last night we watched two Alfred Hitchcock movies that we had recorded, and by the time they were over, it was almost midnight.   So we tuned in to Times Square, and watched the Waterford Crystal ball, as it slowly dropped at Midnight.  Good riddance to 2020, and a warm welcome to 2021!   :welcome:

CallieOK

Happ(ier) New Year to all the Bait and Tacklers.

I watched Times Square on t.v. and had the web cam on my Tablet.  Interesting to see what the entire scene looked like compared with what was being shown on t.v.  Some of the NY numbers were taped about an hour before they were shown.
The web cam showed the stage crew setting up/clearing away for various numbers and Cindi Lauper and Jennifer Lopez coming on stage and preparing for theirs.    Missed seeing J.Lo get on top of that high pedestal and the long robe being draped because the camera cut away to another stage across the street during that time. 
I could also see the entire area during the numbers - including the cameras on the long booms moving from place to place.  Lots of "busy work" going on out of camera range.

Woke up to 4 inches of snow this morning.  It's beginning to melt - is supposed to refreeze tonight and start "The Big Melt" tomorrow afternoon. 

MarsGal

Cheers, everyone!

Well, I finally got sick. Not feeling too bad so far. Unfortunately, I have to go out to feed George's cats. I've been unable, so far, to find anyone to take them in or go to the house, except for boarding them at the vet at $25 a day per cat. He has four. Someone was supposed to call me yesterday, about a possible pet sitter, but so far haven't heard beans. Not surprising. Will keep trying.

George is still sedated and on the ventilator. They decided to hold off and try again today.

Found a live cam on the Detroit River. It is on Belle Isle Island near the bottom end. Too bad it isn't on the other side of the island because where it is now you can't see much of the big cargo ships. I don't think they come up the channel side, but I could be wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhmOMEDzLek 

Amy

MarsGal, hope you feel better and soon! Will Georges girlfriend come and look after his cats for you?Take care of yourself..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

PatH2

MarsGal, please take care of yourself and get better. We're all pulling for you.

phyllis

MarsGal, I'm so sorry to hear that you are sick now.  I wish you didn't have to worry about the cats and I hope you can work something out.  You need to take care of yourself before anything else.  I'm keeping my good thoughts going your way.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

MarsGal - So sorry to see your message this morning!  You didn't say if you've tested positive for Covid?  Either way, you are sick, and you need some help?  Please keep us posted as to how you are feeling, and what decision you make as to the cats?  I will be thinking about you, and looking forward to hearing how both you and George are doing?

FlaJean

We are having an overcast day so far.  

Marsgal, hope you start feeling better.  Not a good way to start the New Year.

We didn't bother watching the New Year's Eve celebrations on TV and don't think we missed much.😁

Joy, I hope the medicine helps.  This pandemic has everyone feeling desperate for a change.  We will appreciate "normal" if we ever have "normal" again.

Jenny, your black eye peas sound good.  My husband doesn't like them so when I get hungry for some I usually just buy them in a can.  Did you make some cornbread to go with them?

Marilyne, your sunny day sounds good to me.  We will have a high of 64° but it is so dreary here today.

Callie, I should have looked at the NY webcam.  That sounds more interesting than the TV.  Larry has a brother in Tulsa but other than a card at Christmas we seldom hear from them.

Patricia, did you get all your computer problems taken care of?

Have a good day everyone.

patricia19

Good morning, and it is chilly here in the Interior at nineteen below. It's not expected to get much warmer until next Wednesday, unfortunately. I have to go out and get some things done that I've put off. I have Amazon orders and friends dropping by every day tomorrow and next week, so no time to procrastinate as I've been doing.   :-[

I've reinstalled W10 on this old laptop and reinstalled my PSP program. That was what had been giving me my most recent fits. I'll be glad when I've saved up enough for a decent desktop! I've since learned that a part of Microsoft's Office program was interfering with my PSP program so I deleted Office and Bubble gave me an idea for another noninterfering program. So now I'm loading filters back on and hoping to do more PSP tutorials.

I've also been watching more real estate YouTube videos from all over the world, castles in Provence, anyone? One of my real estate favorites led me to a Toronto walkabout YouTube series called Johnny Strides. These city walkabouts come from Tokyo, London, New York, Paris, and others, but Johnny's is more appealing.

In other YouTube series, I'm awaiting several giraffe imminent births and other Youtube videos of lion cubs in Africa.

I found this great quote on a news brief, "As Albert Camus once wrote, "In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."

patricia19

MarsGal, I would think that arranging care and feeding of the cats would come under George's girlfriend and his new lawyer? I'm sorry that you're sick; take some time to sit back and take some soothing care of yourself. You've more than earned some downtime.

patricia19

From that same news brief, Emily Dickinson's resilience after years and years of deaths of those nearest to her, "Living in the shadow of death, Dickinson remained enamored of life. This, as much as anything, makes her a hero of our time."

On the civil war, "The price is great - Sublimely paid -
  Do we deserve - a Thing -
  That lives - like Dollars - must be piled
  Before we may obtain?"

In her forties after several friends and family deaths,
" I never hear that one is dead
  Without the chance of Life
  Afresh annihilating me
  That mightiest Belief,

Too mighty for the Daily mind
  That tilling it's abyss,
  Had Madness, had it once or, Twice
  The yawning Consciousness,

Beliefs are Bandaged, like the Tongue
  When Terror were it told
  In any Tone commensurate
  Would strike us instant Dead -

I do not know the man so bold
  He dare in lonely Place
  That awful stranger - Consciousness
  Deliberately face -"

These words resonate in the current crisis, during which protecting the "daily mind" has become a full-time job. News reports, with their updated death tolls, erode our intellectual and spiritual foundations. All seems lost.

But if strain and sorrow are palpable in this poem, so is courage. Dickinson's lonely speaker chooses to express what she has felt, to measure and record the burden of loss that life has thrust upon her. Beliefs, once bandaged, may heal. And while no man has ever been bold enough to confront the deeper "Consciousness" that so many deaths expose within the human mind, the speaker will not rule out doing so herself. There is still room in this blighted world for the kind of visionary experience from which hope not only springs, but flourishes."

MarsGal

Good morning. Temp is 38o, and it looks like our mixed precipitation for the better part of the day has begun. Today I think I will start getting a grocery order together and spend my day reading and doing my jig-saws. Oh, and the never ending accumulation of dishes to wash.

I got over to feed George's cats yesterday, took stock, and when I got home ordered a case of cat food for them which should come in Monday. I expected to feel even more punky yesterday, but lo and behold, I felt pretty good in the evening. In fact I was in a good mood. Whatever caused that, I would like to order more please.

Marilyne, the doc did not send me over for a test, and probably won't unless I get worse.

Patricia, the girlfriend and the lawyer are both quite a ways from here. So, no help there.

The latest on George is that they have cut back on the oxygen and were in the process of bringing him out of sedation  to see how he can handle breathing on his own when I called yesterday afternoon.

I added to my list of critters sighted yesterday at the Tembe Elephant Park cam, a pair of Wildebeests. Also back are some of the elephants, three zebra, and the storks. There are a bunch of small yellow birds flying around, but I didn't get a good look at them. They almost looked like falling leaves blowing in the wind.

patricia19

New quiz today for all those looking for something to do in this topsy-turvy time.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=190312

Marilyne

MarsGal - You sound much better this morning!  If you're feeling good, then most likely you don't have Covid.  Glad that George is slowly getting better.  I have heard that it's a slow process, once you've been on the ventilator.   He will probably have to go to a rehab center, to regain his strength.  I'm glad his cat family is doing well, and hope your three are too. 

Patricia - Thanks for the new quiz!  I'm hoping you get lots of players.  Also I enjoyed reading some of the Emily Dickinson, that you posted.  She's one of my favorite poets, and always had something to say about what was going on in the world at that time.   

Jean - It wasn't until I started posting in Senior Net, that I heard about black eyed peas for New Years Day . . .  or most of the other traditional foods for various holidays.  I think those special foods may be an East coast or Midwest thing?   My Mother's and father's families had been out west for many generations, and apparently have bring along the old traditions.  On the other hand, AJ's mother cooked special foods for Christmas, that were Czech (Bohemian) on her side, and Swedish, on my fil's side.  She baked lots of Scandinavian cookies and deserts.  Besides traditional lutefisk, she made some kind of pickled fish that was delicious.  It was only referred to as Christmas Fish, so I have no idea what fish it was?

Jenny - Like your Bob, AJ spent all New Years Day, watching the Bowl Games. None of his favorites were playing, (like LSU or the two Oregon's), but I think he's taken a liking to Clemson.   Oh  also our alma mater,  San Jose State was playing in one of the early games.  They lost to a school called Ball State, which we had never heard of?   We were just happy to see SJS on TV. 

Callie - Glad all is well in Oklahoma, and your family has recovered from Covid!  I did see lots of TV news coverage on your snow and ice storms.  :o  I'm wondering when Miss Ellen will fly back to NYC?  I know she is anxious to get on with her life there, and I will be looking forward to hearing about any auditions in the future!

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Just finished watching my church's service on Facebook video.  People are being allowed to attend in person but there are very very few who have chosen to do so.

MarsGal,  so sorry you've become ill and George is having so many issues.  I was a bit surprised to see you mention his girlfriend.  I thought that was you!

Marilyne,  Ellen has plans to fly back on the 11th.  I don't see any auditions happening until farther into 2021 and just hope her job is still available after delaying her return twice. Last I heard, it was. 

My parents were from "the North" so I didn't learn about black-eyed peas and cornbread for New Year's until I married a Mississippi native.  I preferred (and still do) to make "Hoppin' John" with rice and a bit of hot sauce and never could get my cornbread to taste like his mother's did.
She never measured anything and would begin by putting "some" cooking oil in a pan to melt as the oven was heating - then put "some" self-rising" cornmeal in a bowl, add an egg, then turn on the hot water and beat the mixture "until it looked right" before pouring into hot oiled pan and baking.  Finished product would melt in your mouth.  (P.S.  True Southern cornbread NEVER has sugar added!)     

I spent yesterday "resetting" things!  First, a bright red light on the microwave said "Reset filters".  Had to get out booklet to see what that meant.  Fortunately, it was easy.
Then, my Cox Contour remote stopped changing channels.  Talked to a very nice tech who did her best trying talking me through the reset but we had to stop when code wouldn't come up on the screen. Could watch t.v. in another room but it doesn't have Netflix or other "extra" channels I subscribe to.
So I Googled the issue and found instructions that -  :thumbup:  - worked like a charm! (I guess the tech should have had me tap in the Code but she must have been trying to do it from her end)  You can believe that I wrote them down and put them in the little basket next to my recliner so I'll have them if/when there's a next time!

Sunshine and temperatures above freezing yesterday melted snow off all the pavement and most of the yards - except for those on the north side.  Supposed to be up in the 50's this week.  Crazy!

Off to finish reading the paper and probably watch something on Netflix.  No PBS programs that sound interesting tonight.  :(

so_P_bubble

Who is was solved! Marilyn is the winner, Bravo!
Curious to know?  Go and check!  ;D

MarsGal

Hi everybody!

Today I am making a final push to get this front room ready for Lily, at least. None of George's cats look happy at this point and Lily especially looks a bit pathetic. She is so thin now. She needs extra attention, I think, and her meds every day. The other three can hang out at the home for a little while longer.

George is off oxygen, but refuses to wake up. They were still giving him a light sedative, but the nurse said that he should be responding to stimulus by now. His vitals are okay, but he has developed another fever. Found a cousin who lives nearby, but further away from me in relation to George's house. Another cousin is going to check into whether or not he can take the other three in if necessary.

Got another Instacart delivery yesterday. It is beyond me how they can bring this stuff up on my porch, with me sitting in the living room waiting, and I don't hear them.

Callie, we've been friends for close to forty years, and shared an apartment when we both went back to college.

Marilyne

MarsGal  -  Sounds like a good plan for you to bring Lily back to your house, and nurse her back to health.  If she is thin and unhealthy looking, then she must not be eating at all?  All of the cats are probably slightly traumatized, being alone and uncertain for such a long period of time.  I know you already have your hands full with your three, but maybe you could bring one other kitty, as a companion to Lily?  Whatever you choose to do, I really admire you for taking such good care of them.  George's situation does not sound good, but now that he is off the oxygen and breathing on his own, I'm hoping he will slowly recover.  I'm thinking about you, and looking forward to good news!

patricia19

MarsGal, Marilyne said it best for me, and it's good that the cousin sounds like he wants to help as well. It's good to keep Lily separated from yours just in case it isn't simple anxiety. You've been in my thoughts so much lately and George too, and I'm hoping it all will go better soon. I think this is a good lesson to the rest of us as well, particularly those with pets, to have a safety net ready and in place.

Amy

MarsGal, what about leaving a tv
 or a radio on for sound/voices in the home for the cats? I would do this for the dogs if we were going to be away longer than normal.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

MarsGal -  I hope we hear from you today, as to how George is doing, and also what you've decided to do about the cats?  Also, you were not feeling well yourself a couple of days ago, so I hope you are now in good health?

I saw in Soda Shoppe today, that JaneS called Joy, which was a thoughtful thing to do.  :thumbup:   Joy had mentioned that she was having some problems with anxiety, and has started on some medication, so I hope she will be feeling better soon and will be back with us, and posting again soon.   

It would be so nice to see a message from all of our other missing members who post here in B&T.   That would be Jenny, Beverly, shirleyn, Jean and Jackie. Maybe we'll hear from them today?

Amy - Your suggestion to MarsGal to leave the radio or TV playing at George's house, is a good one.  We always left music playing, or the TV on, for our pets when we were away.  I think the total silence of an empty house, is depressing for pets.   

patricia19

For those inclined, there are ten questions left on my trivia quiz and everyone is now entitled, except Rutumi who posted two, to three new guesses. Let's see who likes to keep guessing! And who doesn't?

MarsGal

I've got a big pot of chicken noodle soup on the stove. Lily is upstairs under my bed and Oscar is playing sentinel. Shan and Lily had a nose to nose sniff at a while back. Lucy doesn't know she exists yet. She is still sleeping. Lily doesn't seem to want to eat unless I am in "her" room with her, but she is eating a little of both wet and dry, drank water and used her potty box. I see Oscar got tired of watching, so he just came back downstairs. Lily always likes to be under George's bed so it stands to reason that she is most comfortable there. She did follow me down to the bottom of the stairs, twice, then went back up. She really, really wanted to explore as long as I am near by. Oh, and BTW, I've been getting lots and lots of purrs, and her tail is up as she explores. Guess George was wrong about her not taking a move well.

Speaking of George, as of yesterday afternoon, he is finally coming out of sedation and following instructions. His fever is down. They finally suspected that one of the sedatives was causing the fever. Nurse said some meds can cause fevers. I didn't know that.

George always had the TV on, so that is a good idea Amy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Going to get me some Chicken soup now.

Denver

Just stopping by to say HELLO.  I have not posted in much too long and I miss you all.  A lot has been going on here and I apologize for not checking in. 

I will try to get back in tomorrow.

I hope everyone is doing OK.

PLEASANT DREAMS TO ALL, Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MarsGal

Somebody was lying to me or got confused. According to conversations his girlfriend had with the doctor, he as not come out of sedation and is not responding. The did a brain scan and discovered that he has had two strokes, one on each side. No word as to when these might have occurred.

At this point, none of us think George, if he does come out of this, will be able to take care of the cats. George's cousin will not be able to take in any of his cats, so I am back to square one on trying to find a place for them.

I am back to being quite stressed.

Amy

MarsGal, is there any way you could get to talk with someone at the hospital about George? Hope you are feeling better, you sure don't need the added stress on top of everything else!
Jimmy Dean

shirleyn

Good Morning to all!  Here I am Marilyne!  As always, not much news here, so really nothing to talk about.  I did get out yesterday, with mask. I had received some Christmas money, so went shopping for a blouse. Went to Macy's & found they had closed out here in my town.  So went next door to Belks & they were pretty bare.  They said they just had not restocked from the Christmas rush.  So went a little further to Dillards.  They are usually more expensive, but the money was a gift so I blew it on 2 blouses and some undies.  And that is my story & I am sticking to it!  :D

Marsgal, I have never really met you, but I have been reading about your trials.  So sorry you have been put through all that you have gone through.  I hope you can resolve everything & get on with the rest of your life.  And I do hope that your friend George will get better & will soon be home.

Hi to old friends Patricia, Jenny, Bubble, Callie and all the newbies I have been reading about.

shirleyn
(~_~)

Marilyne

MarsGal - I feel so bad for you, and especially for George.  The fact that he has had two strokes, is  dire.   If he no longer has Covid, I hope they move him to another section of the hospital, where he will evaluated by Neurologists, and given the proper treatment for a stroke.   It sounds like you're getting no help with the cats, so under the new circumstances it might be best to board them, until you know more about George's condition.  I would think that his lawyer and gf, would be agreeable to paying for that?  The burden is becoming overwhelming for you, and you need some help or relief. 

Jenny - It sounds like you have lots of worries, and things to attend to. When you have time, let us know how you and your family members are doing?  It's such a bad time right now for everyone, so so many different reasons.  I hope there is a light at the end of this long, long tunnel!  :(   

shirleyn -  Good to see your message!  Glad you finally found some blouses you like!  I guess you can wear light weight clothes and short sleeves year around in Florida?  I have to bundle up here in the Wintertime, with long sleeves, then a quilted or corduroy vest, followed by a cardigan sweater!  I'm always glad when Spring arrives, and I can start shedding some of my layers!   
Our Macy's are also closing here as well.  I hate to see that happen, as they are the last true department store - with many separate departments for clothing, kitchen, bed and bath, children, etc.  I love that sort of arrangement, but I guess it's a thing of the past, and will soon be gone. :'(  Penney's is also closed down here.  :(     

patricia19

Hi Shirleyn!  Marilyne, Macy's went into bankruptcy. It'd been coming and Covid pushed it over the edge.

MarsGal, have you tried using a search engine to find feline rescues in your state and surrounding states as well? I know you've looked locally, but some operate either statewide or nationally. And if they can't help you, they will probably have some ideas for you or numbers to call.