Random Image

Clouds

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Patricia - "Desert Rose", is my Easter pattern!  :smitten:  My daughter Shelley, has been collecting it for years, and has almost a complete set.  Although I'm not a tea drinker, I love the Desert Rose teapot, and bought one for myself, just because I liked to look at it!   I loaned it to Sandy, and now she wants to keep it.  Her Franciscan pattern is the one called Starburst, which is a Mid-Century-Modern design. Very popular now with collectors, so it's way overpriced.   https://www.etsy.com/listing/911001301/vintage-franciscan-starburst-dinner?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=franciscan+starburst&ref=sr_gallery-1-19&frs=1   

patricia19

Marilyne, I like a clean line and less fussy. It's mom's china, still packed since 2000. It was a complete set for six as there were five of us. The silverware in the photo with Desert Rose looks very similar in style and heft to my mom's, but hers had a W engraved on each piece. She received the silver for her wedding gift. I think my older sister has it now. I can't find a photo of my china, but it is white with a raised edge and a thin bluish-grey line around the edge. I use a white Corel pattern, now, and my china is also packed in storage.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I don't remember what brand my Christmas dishes are.  I know we could never afford Spode.

When my age group was marrying circa 1958 it was "the thing" to have a set of "everyday" dishes (we called it "pottery") and a set of "fine china" for special meals  "Desert Rose" was very popular for "everyday".  However, I didn't want to be like everybody else so mine was Poppytrail's "Red Rooster" by Metlox and I have most of the serving dishes plus the rather unusual coffee pot and the cookie jar.  It's packed away because it isn't dishwasher safe (did we even have dishwashers in 1958?). 

My china was "Coronet" by Syracuse.  It's white with a gray border and narrow silver rim - and has two small gray feathers "tied" with a pink bow in the center. Don't remember the pattern of my crystal but it also has the feather pattern "etched" into each piece. I still use the china and the crystal dessert plates/sherbet "goblets" occasionally.  The drinking goblets aren't a practical size for dinner use in my family.

My sterling was Towle "Candlelight" because it went nicely with my Mother's Gorham "Etruscan" pattern which I inherited. I've used it occasionally for family Christmas dinners and once heard Miss Ellen and Miss Emily "discussing" who would get each pattern.  ;)

Marilyne

Callie -  My Mother also had a set of Metlox Red Rooster, and yes, that coffee pot is unique and attractive.  I really like it.  The only piece I still have of her set, is the large flour canister.  Missing the lid, so I use it to hold big bunches of flowers or dried arrangements.  We were married in October of 1956, so same general time frame as you and your husband.  I also wanted Desert Rose, but like you, everyone else was choosing it, so I picked plain pastel pottery with the speckles in the glaze. It was marked California Rainbow, on the back of the plates. Rare to see a random piece anywhere now.

AJ and I  liked the Danish Modern look at that time, so most things we chose were quite plain.  My good china pattern, was Franciscan Twilight.  Plain pale blue, with a silver band around the edge.  My sterling was/is, Silver Sculpture by Reed and Barton.  Again the plain look.  I wished I had chosen something more detailed and attractive, but years later I inherited my Mother's Francis First, pattern,  which is very ornate.  I like it much better than mine.  Funny how your taste changes as you grow older. 

Callie, I wanted to see your china pattern, so I looked at it on Replacements,Ltd.  Coronet, is really beautiful!  See it here on this page of Syracuse China . . .  https://www.replacements.com/china-syracuse/b/001-801237

CallieOK

Marilyne, I have an original pamphlet for my china with the prices in 1958 written (not by me) alongside the ones in 1956, when the pattern was begun. Last night I did a 'google' search and found Replacements, Ltd.  Their prices were higher than those on a couple of other sites.  Also learned the pattern was discontinued in 1967,

My mother had an eccentric bachelor uncle who gave every niece a set of china when she married but it was a pattern of his choosing - not hers.  Mother's was.....well, the nicest thing to say about it is "it was ugly".  :) I kept one plate as a memento.
 When I married, Mother completed a Coronet service for 8 as my "Uncle Ed" china.

However, my life style didn't turn out to be a "tea and crumpets" one so I have rarely used the teacups or side pieces.

I had looked up the Red Rooster pattern earlier and found that one of the pitchers (for water, etc.) was worth $100 at the time.  Surprisingly, the unusual coffee pot wasn't that valuable.

I also have some plain white china that belonged to my paternal grandmother. Some pieces are stamped with Limoges but other pieces only say "Made in Germany" so I have no idea how to look it up.
Correction:  this china belonged to my Maternal grandmother and I believe it was her "Uncle Ed" set.   I do have some pieces from my Paternal grandmother that look like the same china.  Those include some tiny saucer like dishes that may have been for a pat of butter...or something like that.
When the aunt who lived with my Paternal grandmother died, we found a sterling service for 8, complete with shrimp forks and other "odd" pieces - but no teaspoons!  There were a lot of souvenir teaspoons but none that matched the set. That remains a mystery.

Just received the tax organizer from my accountant so the Project du Jour is to start sorting out the 2020 month-by-month accordion pleated file.  :P

patricia19

Good morning from another quiet morning. Nothing new here either other than Farrah is getting brave. Yesterday, I was visiting at my door, mask on and appropriate distances observed when she decided to come up and peer out and down the hallway. This is the first time in the five years she's lived here that she's gone within several feet of an opened door.

I wish that they would come here to give the vaccinations. You have to call and make an appointment and then go to one of the health centers specified. People have asked about having it here, but management says we are not in that designation. It is enough that the state decided everyone 65 and over is now eligible since January 11th. And that was undoubtedly because Alaskan Natives are a huge voting block in this state, and they revere elders.

I don't know the names of china patterns, including my own. I've always liked the simpler styles. My mother married in 1946, and her china came from her wedding registry, as did her silver. She was still active in her college sorority, and they had a chapter here, so the sorority was involved in planning and arranging much of her wedding. In fact, I didn't know the name of her china until I saw it in Marilyne's photo. She had the complete set for six and what looks like the same silver except that hers was etched with her new initial. I remember that it was kept in a large mahogany box with a thick red lining and a small lock. I have the china, and my older sister had the silverware and box.

I had never heard of Franciscan Desert Rose also coming in pottery, but then again, I'm not familiar with that aspect of dishes. When I married, we were leaving the state for his new assignment at Fort Sam Houston two weeks afterward, and much of the arrangements were handled by my mother, sad to say. I was just a month past my high school graduation, recently turned 18, and in a whirlwind of packing and getting my military ID and paperwork finished. He was deployed to Vietnam three weeks after all that.

My china is white with a lip to the edge of the plates with a thin blue-gray line running at the edge of the plate. Now I use a basic white Corel, and the china set for four has been in storage for years. The silver has my initials from my first marriage.

Joy

I know I have not been  for a good while.  I have been dealing with anxiety issues for almost a month. I have never felt so bad.  But the meds have started to kick in and I do feel better.  My doctor doesn't like to give a short term anti depressant . so the medicine I was on could take up to 3 weeks to start working. I was just about to start on the third week.Thank heavens it has started working. Hope I will feel a lot better soon.

Thanks for thinking about me. This group of friends are so caring and special. 

Also, thanks to those who use colored larger print.  I am also waiting for cataract surgery which I had to postpone because of my current illness.  Have trouble reading the small writing.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Looks like today is  Shirley's Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHIRLEY, and many more to come!  :happybday:

CallieOK

:birthdaygift:  :birthdaygift:Happy Birthday, Shirley!  :birthdaygift:  :birthdaygift:

Tomereader1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHIRLEY!  :hb3:  :hb2:

FlaJean

Joy, was thinking of you earlier when I was reading the postings about the dinnerware.  I know you love to see the various patterns.  I do too.  I enjoyed looking at some of the different patterns.

I have the Heirloom Damask Rose sterling silver that I started buying (on time) when I was in senior high school.  We used it on all our holiday meals for many years.  i liked that pattern so much that I bought an 8 place setting with extra pieces of the stainless steel flatware a few years ago, and we use that every day.

I used my mother's china for a few years but then I bought a 12 place setting of china called Rosette.  Now it sits in the "china closet" looking pretty and the sterling silver is in its anti-tarnishing wooden silverware box at the bottom of my linen closet.  Those were happy days when our families got together for those big family dinners.

When my mother was 15 years old, she and her family lived through the famous 1918/19 spanish flu.  Never thought my family would be living through something so similar.  I just hope our family gets through this as well as hers did.  

I meant to post earlier but got sidetracked on something interesting on TV.  I'm easily sidetracked these days with all this horrible news.

Happy Birthday Shirley.  Better get back to my book.

Shirley

Well, I thank you for the birthday wishes, didn't know I posted in here often enough that y'all remembered me!  I was interested in reading all about the china & silver since we're all about the same age (think I am oldest at 86 today?)

When we picked our silver & china back in 1954 I was heading to England so chose the Currier & Ives pattern of pottery but ended up not taking it with me. Cas didn't have stripes to take a wife along but they couldn't stop me from going as a tourist, so off I went! I only got a couple place settings of sterling (King Richard by Towle) and by the time I thought about wanting to turn it into an 8 or 12 place setting but I didn't like cleaning silver so got 16 place setting of stainless steel that looked about like King Richard & still use it.

Bed time. I had a 2 hour phone call from a cousin I didn't know very well. I always thought she was my sister's age but she is just a year older than I am. Not many of us left so we had lots to talk about of the "old days". I was surprised this popped back up after all that time so will post & get cats fed & me to bed. Thanks again for the birthday wishes. 

Joy, I am so glad you are feeling better!  Shirley

Marilyne

It was great, hearing from so many of our members yesterday, about their dinnerware, china, silverware, crystal glassware and Depression glass!    My favorite topic of conversation, and not at all controversial, like so many other subjects in today's world.  I was an avid collector of vintage in all of the above, but also love the new patterns made in recent years.

I finally had to go into the antique business, and rented space in a couple of local shops.  It's the best way to buy and sell the patterns you collect, and lots of fun, as well.  Like many of us, as we've grown older, it's no longer easy to host a big family dinner with the "good china", or Grandma's old set, etc.  So most of my stuff is either packed away, or residing on shelves and china cabinets throughout the house.  If I get advance notice, that I'm not long for this world, I will start giving it away.  I don't want it to end up at the Goodwill or thrown into a dumpster!  My girls (two daughters and dil) have all chosen what they want.  I wish they would take it now, but claim they don't have room. Excuses, excuses!  ::)

Joy - So glad to hear from you yesterday, that you are feeling much better, and that the medication is working for you.  I hope you get your cataract surgery as soon as you feel you're ready. 

Shirley - Nope . . . you aren't the oldest, I am!  I'm five months older than you - my birthday was in August. 

Patricia - Looks like Farrah, is becoming curious about what's on the other side of the front door?  A natural instinct in cats, as you know.  I hope you get your vaccination soon.   I don't expect to get mine until well into February, in spite of my age.  Too many people here.

Jean - I remember one of your dinnerware patterns was Lenox Butterfly!   I love that one - beautiful and Springlike,  with pastel flowers and butterflies.

Callie -  I'm impressed that you still have so much left of your pottery/china patterns and crystal.  Our last major earthquake, in 1989, destroyed the majority of my wedding china, glassware and most of the breakable things that I had of my Mother's.  That was a sad day for those of us with treasures that we loved.   I've replaced some of it over the years since, but hard to find the vintage items.  :'(         

Denver

Sunday night HELLO to all. 

I have enjoyed reading about your china patterns, and looking at them where you have shared the sights.  We bought China when we lived in Germany.  One set Rosenthal and one Thomas.  The Rosenthal was white with a platinum ring.  Very plain, but beautiful.  The Thomas is white with a raised design around the edge in white and a platinum band.  I gave the Rosenthal set for 12 to Dr. Dave and Michele a few years back.  It made me so happy when they agreed to take it.  It was still in the original boxes it came in as it had never been used.  I bet it has been 10 years since I served a meal here in our home using China and crystal.  I doubt I will ever use it again.  I have a lovely big china cabinet with all the special pieces displayed and I have to admit it still gives me joy to look at it.  We would like to take out the wall it is backing up to, but I will have to get rid of this cabinet before we can do this as there is no other wall to put it on. 

Everything we bought in Europe was purchased in threes.....one for us, one for our son and one for our daughter!  Good plan that did not turn out as planned.  As it turns out, no one really wants any of the
things we have so???  Not true....we have three glass blown clowns that we bought in Italy and ALL 4 sons want them!  The oldest son that was born in Germany already has a few of the items he did want, like bier steins and the like.  We have several clocks bought in a Germany and no one wants them! 

I hope you all had a good Sunday.  Sleep well.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Cottoncandy

Good morning...I don't usually post here...but Joy if you don't mind me asking....what medicine did the Dr give you for anxiety? I have a friend that's having same problem.....I'm glad it seems to be working for you....Candy

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone..
from the still relatively warmer (in the 40's )
and partly cloudly rocky coast of Maine.

Happy Birthday Shirley ..You are doing
great ...  You and Marilyn are doing
super leading the race...  Keep it up
both of you..   

My goal is 100,  but my genes say
that is doubtful.   

I don't have china and no longer take
meds for being bi-polar with anxiety issues.

I gave those up  years ago when I got
online back in the 90's,  stopped working,
and no longer had my kids at home.   

Being a single Mom with Four Kids and
working professionally  as a computer
programmer,  and being an over medicated
Bipolar  person,  was just more than I
could handle so after 15 years over stressed
and under appreciated (by myself, that is)..
I became a n unmedicated single disabled,
woman addicted to non other then my computer. 

Bless it...  I found my way to peace and over
came my negative addictions,  nicotine and alcohol. 

Wowzer,  what a great day!!
In spite of my fear of catching Covid,
and the thrill of having a new
government in two days.

I am grateful for how lucky I am , 
still aging  on the right side of the grass... 
 :smitten:

Enjoy and have a good day,  everyone..
Sandy
 :welcome:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Good morning.  I still am feeling better. Just very tired. 

I see the heart doctor tomorrow, so I hope I will find out more.  But, thankful I am feeling better. Do not have that short of breathe feeling.

Candy, the anti-depressant  that I am taking is SERTRALINE .  It is a very slow-acting med. Can take up to 3 weeks to kick in.  I found that too long to have to wait for any help. I have never felt so bad in my life before.  I was about to "climb the walls"  Way  too long to have to wait for a medicine to work when you are feeling so bad.

Shirley and Marilyne,  I might be the oldest one.  I will be 87 in May !!!

I, too, loved reading all about  the dishes and silverware.  I have Stieff Rose Pattern silverware which was my mother's,, Service for twelve.  She had bought the 12 servings, so my 3 sons would each  have place settings for four. None  of them want it.  Her dishes were from Jewel Tea and are beautiful. Plates and cups and saucers are square.and they have a spray of roses all around the edge.  Everything is all packed away.  I don't entertain anymore.  But  it always made a beautiful table setting.  Miss having to be able to have people in for dinners.

Hope everyone are all doing well.

JOY 
BIG BOX

CallieOK

Merry Monday!

Sandy, you have much to be grateful for!  :thumbup:  for being willing to work on the issues and get them under control!  I enjoy reading your descriptions of your apartment and its location.

Joy, so happy you feel better and have found a med that will help with the anxiety.  That has to be a difficult thing to deal with.

Marilyne, I come from a very small family (2 uncles and 2 aunts on my mother's side.  One uncle had two sons, one of whom was KIA in WWII and the other had 5 children. One aunt died childless at age 43 and the other one never married.  Mother had me - an "only".
On my Dad's side, I only had one aunt, who never married.) 
Both sides kept heirlooms from several generations back so, although I shared maternal heirlooms with the 6 cousins I was the only heir to get to choose which paternal heirlooms I wanted. 

The maternal heirlooms include a doll trunk, toy coffee grinder and a porcelain-head doll that were given to my mother's oldest sister who was born in 1887. 

However, the doll, who was called "Agnes" is missing the top half of her head because I dumped her out of a doll buggy while wheeling her down a cement walkway.  Many years later I learned she was part of a series of porcelain-head dolls so I took "Agnes" to a Doll Hospital to see about replacing her head.  The lady said, "This isn't Agnes.  This is Laura" and pulled down the binding holding the head onto the cloth body to reveal "Laura" included in the porcelain part.
I know Mother had an Aunt Laura who had given my aunt several special gifts but I have absolutely no idea why she was renamed "Agnes".
I did not replace the head - just covered the broken part with a doll cap that was among Agnes' clothes and packed her away.

There are several other items from the 1800's and I treasure all of them.

On to other subjects:

I did get the tax stuff sorted out and now need to do laundry and other Monday chores.

Hope Everyfriend finds something to Enjoy about today. 

Sandy

Sandy, you have much to be grateful for!  :thumbup:  for being willing to work on the issues and get them under control!  I enjoy reading your descriptions of your apartment and its location.
Callie

Yes Callie,
I do have  a lot to be grateful
for....It has been many years now since I
have had to work on the negative issues
in my life.  So many years that I now
forget just how hard that time was.

Stopping smoking was the single most
difficult thing that I ever did. (many
times I triied) But stopping finally worked
when I needed the money that I spent on
that bad habit,  to get me a computer.  I
joined Senior Net the first day I
got online..

Years later I had an
attack of Afib that put me in the
hospital for five days.  When I
came out I removed all the alcohol
from my home and never induldged
again.  During my 50.s I was a heavy
isolated drinker .  really heavy
so that did it's damage and I stopped. 

I was very fortunate to stop both
nicotine  and vodka.  All my cravings
for both went away very quickly .. in the grand
scheme of things,  from what I understand,
this is quite rare  (the ease of which I stopped).

So many people carry the addiction curses with
them and can't beat them. 

Now,  the Curses of Covid and the terrorized
Election are with us and only time will help
us get through..

Have a good few days,  everyone!
Stay home,  stay inside, wash your
hands  and pray for peace.
 :dove:  :dove:  :dove: 
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

patricia19

Cottoncandy

Thank you Joy...I think my friend said her Dr wanted her to take Escitalopram.....probably a similar drug....stay safe

Marilyne

Sandy - -You've done a great job, turning your health issues around in the right direction!   I'm also an ex-smoker, so I know how hard it is to kick that habit.  Most ex-smokers say that once they have quit,  the smell of cigarette smoke is disgusting to them.   Not so for me . . . I like the smell of someone's freshly lighted cigarette, and find that it brings back pleasant memories.  :)   However, I'm never tempted to light up!  It's been 40 years.

Joy - You sound so much better today!  So glad that the meds have started working for you!  I love the Jewell Tea patterns for dishes.  My aunt had the one called Autumn Leaf.  I know the square plates with the spray of roses, but can't think of the name of it now?  I'll look it up on Replacements, as well as your Stieff silverware.   I will never use my silverware again either.  :'(   We don't have those big family dinners anymore, like we used to have for holidays and birthdays.   When we get together now, it's always at our son and dil's house, on their large covered deck.  Comfortable, and holds a lot of people.

Callie - Our families are about the same size, as to aunts and uncles.  My Mother had two brothers, both married, but only one of them had a child.  She was my best friend and companion throughout my life.  I miss her so much.  My Father had two sisters.  One died at age 22 of tuberculosis.  The other one married a number of times (I won't say how many! ha ha :o)  Anyway, she only had one child - a daughter.  I was ten years old when she was born, and loved taking care of her and mothering her when she was young.  She is no longer living either.  I had one brother, who passed away two years ago.  He and his wife raised four children - two girls and two boys.  I rarely see them, now that he is gone, but do get pictures and updates.   More later on your family heirlooms!    I have plenty of those too.

Jenny - Rosenthal china is gorgeous!  How forward thinking of you, to buy three sets when you were in Germany!   Even though it didn't work out as you hoped, they will probably divide the sets up in the future.   It's my son's wife, who is interesting in one of my sets . . . the set that belonged to my mother.  The reason she wants it, is because her grandmother had the same set.  It was a very popular pattern in the 40's, called May Flower.
We also have a few interesting clocks, that no one wants, plus some figurines.  Young people don't put decorative items like that out on shelves and mantles, like we used to do in the long ago.  It just isn't the style now, and just considered to be dust catchers.   :'(   :(

Cottoncandy - Nice to see you here!  come back and visit us again anytime.  You don't need to have a reason.  :)

Patricia - Love the cartoon!         

Denver

Just coming in to see how you all are doing?

MARILYNE, you are so right, our children do not want any of these dust collectors hanging around! Nice to read that your DIO is interested in your China.  Does she have her grandmother's set, or just that it is special to her because her grandmother had the same pattern?

PATRICIA, your cartoon gave me a chuckle!  That is how I have always felt about living in cold weather locations.  My kiddos always looked like they were too stiff to move when I got them all bundled up and headed out the door.  Now days the coats are so much warmer and not nearly as bulky.  Thanks for sharing the cute cartoon.

SANDY, you deserve to be mighty proud of yourself for recognizing the habits that were not good for you and taking charge to not do them.  It is also very healthy for you to admit what you have achieved its hopes f encouraging others that they too, can do this if needed. 

CALLIE, I loved your story about your Agnes Doll actually being Laura. 

JOY, happy to see you are feeling better after being prescribed SERTRALINE.  Good for you asking for some help to get you through you through this depression.  I feel there are many in your same situation and need to ask for help also.  These are hard times for many.  Take care and continue to feel better. 

Nice to see your post, COTTONCANDY.  I hope your friend can get some help with her depression also. 

It is LATE....so best I say GOODNIGHT to ALL.  Pleasant dreams.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Joy

Just checking in. 

More bad news.  My son tested positive for the virus.  Did not need that added worry.  He will be quarantined   for two weeks.  Didn't get to the heart doctor, as my DIL couldn't  take me, as she wouldn't have been able to go in with me so, they gave me another appt.  I saw him a few days ago, so really don't know if I need to stay inside or not.  I will call my doctor later. I am feeling a little better, except now worrying about my son.  Too many things happening now. 

Please stay safe.

Joy 
BIG BOX

MarsGal

The "fun" just keeps coming doesn't it? Joy, I am sorry to hear that your son has joined the ranks of the COVID quarantined. I do hope he fares well through it. Same for you. Fingers crossed.

I forget whether or not I mentioned it, but we found a shelter that will take in Roxie, Scotch and Soda. The surrender date is the 29th. The executor of the will asked me to go over and clear out George's car at the tow yard so the insurance company can tow it away. That is what I will be doing later on this morning.

Temp this morning is 20o with a high of 47o for the day and partly sunny.

patricia19

I lost my post, but the pertinent facts were the weather, in January, known for minuses in the thirties and forties, has been crazy, going from forty above one day to minus three the next and back again.

In the Southeast, where most denialists live, deaths shot up yesterday to twenty-four when the norm is two or three per day. Our daily count went up yesterday from an average of ten and under to 57 with no deaths the past week. The Interior has perhaps eight total out of the state's losses. We remain for now in the total lockdown instituted last March.

Marilyne

Patricia - People who don't believe in climate change, might change their mind if they visited Northern California this Winter.  (Or should I say "this perpetual Spring").  We've had temps in the high 70's for the past two weeks, with a only a few days in the 60's.  Still no rain whatsoever here in the South Bay.  About 1/2 inch in the North Bay, and a couple of storms came from the North, and dropped their moisture in the High Sierra, in the form of snow.   So there is enough snow up there near Tahoe, that people are going skiing and snowboarding.   We had strong East winds here a couple of days ago, which actually kicked up some of the wildfires still lingering in the Santa Cruz Mountains near us.  I didn't realize that although the fires are officially out, they smolder for a long time under the ashes and fallen trees.  A strong wind will blow the ashes away, and the flames start up again!    If course if we had had any rain in our local mountains, it would have put those smoldering hot spots out long ago. 

MarsGal - I'm so glad that a shelter was found for George's three remaining cats.   I hope they will be adopted, or at least allowed to live out their lives in a nice shelter with space to be together and plenty to eat.  Do you plan to keep Lily?   How is she getting along now with your other three? 

Joy - I'm so sorry to see that your son has tested positive for Covid. He will be in my prayers, for a quick and full recovery.    Have you had your Covid vaccine yet?   The Vaccine roll-out here in California as been a disaster so far.   Health care providers signed up millions of people, and then promptly ran out of the vaccine!  I'm not due to have my shot until February, so I hope they have things under control by then.  :(

Jenny - I'm hoping all of your sons and their wives and children, are still Covid free?   All of a sudden  surged out of control here in California, and lots of adults in their 40's through 60's have come down with it in the past couple of weeks.  No connection to the Holidays, so there isn't really any clear reason as to why.   We are still totally closed down here. Only grocery stores, and essential businesses like pharmacies and gas stations open. Schools have been closed for almost a whole year.  Outdoor activities are allowed if masks are worn.     

Joy

Just getting in here. My son feels better today, but his wife went for the test this morning.

I talked to my doctor and she told me they don't like to do the test if you don't have any symptoms.  I have a phone call appt. with her tomorrow morning.  Hoping she will give me a different med, since I am so upset,   Seems I am right back where I started.

Please stay safe,

Joy
BIG BOX

patricia19

Marilyne, I will say this, Alaska is the largest state with the second smallest population, and the Alaskan Native Federation is the largest voter bloc in the state. Alaskan Natives, be they Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut, all have reverence for elders as a keystone in their culture. The S.E. part of the state is more white with a Republican majority and outlook. Many see Covid not as a pandemic but a "plannedodemic." The rest of the state has various types of Natives in the majority, along with many Russian, Asians, East Indians, and those of European backgrounds.

As such, we have been in a total lockdown since March, and while the S.E. has over a hundred daily cases and the majority of deaths, and the majority of denialists, the rest has few and little to no deaths. Why doesn't that make sense to them??

I received this yesterday from a state bulletin, and this is largely due to those Native lawmakers pushing to get all the elders vaccinated. At the beginning of January, it was announced that anyone over 65 was moved up from the fourth tier to just after nursing homes and healthcare workers. The beginning calls for appointments were on January 11th.

Here, many fires can smolder under the brush all winter and flare up again in the spring. Not counting this past unusual beginning of winter, we've had very little snow and very little traces of humidity.

patricia19

Those conspiracy theorists believe climate change is a hoax, and all events, no matter the overwhelming evidence is merely a series of warmer weather years. They gloss over anything that doesn't fit their narrative, including melting ice, the release of carbon dioxide rising water,  loss of animal species, and habitation, trees, fires, and more intense storms, crop problems due to arid nonfertile soils, and more insects, population dispersion, and the rise of right-wing nationalists worldwide.

"Climate change is the catch-all term for the shift in worldwide weather phenomena associated with an increase in global average temperatures. It's real and temperatures have been going up around the world for many decades.

Reliable temperature records began in 1850 and our world is now about one degree Celcius hotter than it was in the period between 1850 and 1900 – commonly referred to as the "pre-industrial" average.

The change is even more visible over a shorter time period – compared to average temperatures between 1961 and 1990, 2017 was 0.68 degrees warmer, while 2016 was 0.8 degrees warmer, thanks to an extra boost from the naturally-occurring El Niño weather system.

While this temperature increase is more specifically referred to as global warming, climate change is the term currently favoured by science communicators, as it explicitly includes not only Earth's increasing global average temperature, but also the climate effects caused by this increase."