Random Image

Shirley 6

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Ahh, now it is making sense, Geordie is the dogs name...

...Just arrived back home after an enjoyable ( first time for me ) group mix of bereaved at our female church Vicars home, this was called " Sweet William " after the flower with its biblical meaning...We all sat outside surrounded by trees in her back garden where tea and cakes were laid out on the table, personal stories and the odd bits of humour were flowing...been an enjoyable good couple of hours as a casual affair which ended in her giving a prayer...She was the perfect hostess...

Mary Page...
...I always remember our Joan FL saying the old rickety bus needs a cleanout as somebody had left a rotting fish inside it...Now just to confuse me even more, there seems to have been more than one bus...a camp bus and a bash bus...yes the bright yellow bus is the one i remember seeing, with the chickens running around.....
" There is no present like the time "

patricia19

I posted a quiz on-site for those who wished to play. The same rules apply.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=201415

patricia19

CallieOK

Boatnerds Alert!  Big sailboat race starts at 11:00 Port Huron time (CST)on that site.  Rewind to watch dozens of sailboats coming up to the start line.

MarsGal

CallieOK

Correction:    Just read that 2-man race starts at 11:40.  I think the start line is way north so it may be
 while before they get to the bridge.  Not sure if all will come down the river.

Beverly

Rammel - Thanks for digging up that picture of the bus. I recognize most of the faces, but the bus I remember most is the yellow school bus that used to travel cross-country picking up anyone who wanted to join in.  :)  Those were fun days on Senior Net.

MaryPage - The place in Williamsport, PA you remember IS the Bullfrog Brewery and Restaurant. It had a pub atmosphere with craft beers and great food. That was a wonderful bash (hosted by Ardie) and the last one I attended. There was one more, hosted by Eloise, in Montreal but I couldn't make it.

Jackie - That meeting of the bereavement group sounds lovely. This was definitely the right move for you!

My new great-grandson's name is Keani. It's pronounced Key-ah-nee. Unusual, I know, but I'm told it's origin is Hawaiian. Now, we are waiting for the twins, expected in about a month.

On top of all the other problems, I recently had a root canal and on the 19th had three old crowns removed (lower front) and prepped for new ones. There was decay underneath. Dentists are my least favorite people!  ::)

Bubble - Happy to see you back and hope you continue to feel better.

Callie - I was going through some pictures and came across the ones taken at our lunch meeting at Freddie's (Sapulpa?) We still keep in touch with the Varner family in Bristow.

Hope you all have a great day.

Beverly

Tomreader - I just skimmed through some posts and found your comments on the FB British Mystery discussion. My son recently told me about Britbox but I haven't signed up for it. I love the British comedies and can't find them on my cable TV lately. I used to drink instant coffee but can't imagine it now!

Tomereader1

Oh, didn't we all drink instant coffee in the days when we were "young".  I know I did, you might say, I cut my teeth on Instant Coffee. LOL.  My first coffee was half coffee, half milk at age 5 or 6 and I progressed from there.  I think that's the one thing I could not give up if so instructed, chocolate would be the other one, but I'd rather give that up than my morning coffee!

Tomereader1

I just signed up for a free trial of BritBox, and it does cover Comedy as well as mysteries, drama and "originals" whatever they might be.  I just started watching MI-5 since I missed that series in its original permutation. Think they aired some episodes on PBS.

The FB discussions also have a British Mysteries, Books in Series if you like to read Brit. mysteries; i.e., Agatha Christie, etc. including older and newer authors.

MaryPage

If we were each allowed only one channel to watch for the rest of our days, I would have to pick one of our PBS channels.  We are unusual here where I live in that we have three available to us:  WHUT (Howard University Television) in Washington, D.C. and WETA (Washington Educational Television Associatiion) in Virginia and WMPT (Maryland Public Television) in guess where. 

I feel that because I watch these more than anything else that I have an obligation to purchase annual memberships in at least WETA and MPT.  To my great joy, these memberships now entitle members to the perk of access to the PBS streaming icon, and I can watch those British shows whenever I choose.  If you cannot get info on line, and I feel certain you can, you might call your local channel and see what they know about such like.

Beverly, Williamsport was October 2001, and there were more than that later.  Richmond was 2004.  Alexandria was October 2006.  There were others.  The 2006 was the last, to the best of my knowledge.

I don't do Facebook, so that leaves me out of the British mystery discussion.  I have never gotten on any of those social media platforms other than Senior Net/Seniors & Friends.  So it is that I have never tweeted or anything.  I do not own a cell phone, but only a land line that helps with my deafness.  I no longer drive and rarely go anywhere, and then am never without someone who does have one of those little horrors.  So I don't text, either.  I say little horrors because the buttons are too small to read and they are impossible to hear on.  I could go on and on, but you know what I am?  A cranky old crone, that's what!

Callie, I can see all sorts of races right from the sliding glass doors here next to my PC.  Every Wednesday night it is sailboat races from the Annapolis Yacht Club.  The AYC is made up of Ted Turner, lots of Admirals, some Generals, lots of rich folk and some ordinary.  Every Thursday night they sail out from the Eastport Yacht Club, mostly ordinary folk.  We host stopovers from international races, such as the Volvo, and national races.  Annapolis considers itself the sailing capital of the World!  Well, yeah, there ARE some who would give you an argument re that statement!

Beverly, thanks for remembering it was the Bullfrog. My memory is so out of tune, these days.  And I am thrilled to hear about your new baby and the two to come!  I am to have my 28th great grandchild around November 1st: a little girl.  My vote for a name was Claire Rose.  My choice never wins, but once in a blue moon half of it does.

Me too, me too!  Dentists! 

And I want to post a special thanks to Dear Bubble for changing my photo for me.  It seemed such a falsehood to have that much younger one on display.  I think this one is about 2 years old, or mebbe a little less.  My hairdresser took it!  She works out of her home, and I love her to bits.  She works alone, and you cannot get her by request, but by invitation only.  Clients are allowed to suggest.  So I was invited 20 years ago, and have felt like a VIP ever since!

Better a hairdresser than a dentist.  Besides, you get a free therapy session thrown in!

patricia19

Good morning from an Interior with cooler temperatures and steady rains. Yesterday's low will be today's high temperature!

I haven't owned a television since I gave mine away in 1997. I read more than anything else on my downtime and before bed, but many older shows and Britcoms are on Youtube.

I don't believe we'll have any more grandkids other than a nephew's six-year-old daughter. His sister and my sister's two kids don't plan on having any children. Only two of them are married, and the others are in childless long-term living arrangements. My niece has been with the same high school boyfriend for twenty years.

Amy

MaryPage,  we do or rather I do have a cell phone and I also hate it but it is a necessary evil should we need help. We do have a land line in home plus hubby has a phone from the audiologist..

Beverly, my friend is waiting on twin great grands. Momma was admitted into the hospital with hopes she will carry them a bit longer but one baby is in a bit of distress. Her room is right beside the operating room just in case .
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

CallieOK

MaryPage,  how wonderful to be able to watch the boats, etc. from your sliding glass doors.  There are quite a few big big lakes in eastern Oklahoma and I'm sure there are sailboats on them.  Several big rivers run through central Oklahoma and the one through OKC is being developed into a wonderful water sports venue - but no sailboats.

Love your new photo.

I have a land line and cell phone, which is great when frequent power outages occur.  I keep up with quite a few relatives and friends via text on the cell phone.  However, I'm terrible about hanging up instead of answering phone calls.  Used to have an old-fashioned land line that I could plug in during power outages but, alas, the plug broke and I can't find another cord that will fit.

I'm on Facebook and often communicate with various friends and relatives via "messenger" on there.  I can see when The Grands are on - and it's neat to find out what they're "up to" at the moment.  Rarely post unless someone leaves a comment on my page - and have blocked a few people who feel they need to "share" generic political, religious, or patriotic comments .

Beverly,  I remember the luncheon at Freddie's - yes, in Sapulpa - but don't know if it's still there.  Haven't been on that side of the state since Miss Ellen was performing in theaters in Tulsa.....wow! five years ago!!!! (Can't believe she's lived in NYC that long). 
The "Okie Lunch Bunch" loved to meet/greet SeniorNet friends traveling through the state.Alas, that group is no more.

I actually don't mind the dentist but absolutely hate been poked and prodded at the doctor's office.

Didn't drink coffee until I started  teaching  (wouldn't have made it through college without Dr. Pepper) but switched to tea quite a few years ago because acid in coffee was upsetting.  Will still drink it if served but now have to sweeten and use quite a bit of milk or cream..

Off to check on the boat races and find something for lunch.  Enjoy your day, Everyone

patricia19

I actually have two cell phones as I was given one for an early birthday gift. They are coordinated and synced with each other and with my computer via the newest cell's abilities.

Since my last few employments pre-retirement involved tablets and cell phones, I'm used to them. And during the worst of the pandemic, we had our morning text streams to keep in contact.

I'm glad I have them to call friends while out, check price UPCs and arrange for taxis while out, and even to find where the local buses are on their routes, all with my cell.

MaryPage

Speaking again of British shows, I will be watching VERA tonight on WMPT. Am really into British crime stories, as somehow they are not as brutal or stressful as our American ones.  They do invent ever more methods for murder, but almost always the body is found in like the 1st two minutes of the show, and then you meet all these quaint or quirky people and have to decide whodunit.  The difference in the drama is sort of kind of like the difference between a Wild Western and Hamlet.

Ann Cleeves, who is a marvelous writer, wrote the Vera series, which is set in Northumberland, and the Shetland series, set in those islands.  I am crazy about both of these.  She has done more series, as well; but I have not seen any of those.

Brenda Blethyn plays the star of Vera.  She is the boss detective.  You have probably seen her in something.  My favorite was a comedy film called Saving Grace, simply years ago.  Blethyn has won many awards, and been nominated for, but never yet won, Academy Awards, or Oscars.  She is a GREAT actress.

And speaking of British mystery/crime shows, my currant top favorite is UNFORGOTTEN.  It is about a special detective team set up to investigate cold cases.  The one currently being investigated is about a man killed 30 years ago, and his bones just discovered.  I think it takes place in London.  All of the actors are good, but Nicola Walker is outstanding.  You may have enjoyed her in Last Tango in Halifax.  I watch this show mainly for Nicola.  It is in season 4, and I watch each episode weekly on MPT and then go to PBS and watch it a 2nd time.  Helps me keep some of it in my memory.  There are few things I enjoy watching twice, other than Jane Austen films.

CallieOK

Back to boat race at Port Huron for a moment: 
Tome, did you figure out which way the race was/is going?  I can't tell by Chat messages but marine map seems to indicate it's going from somewhere south of Port Huron north to Mackinac island which is in the Soo Locks area.  So the boats we saw this morning actually may have been racing - except they didn't have their sails up.
Puzzling?

MaryPage, which daughter did Nicola Walker play in Last Tango In Halifax?  I really enjoyed watching that series - especially the final scene of the final episode of the couple dancing.  I think it's on Netflix; if so, I may watch it again.

Kinda being a Recliner Radish this afternoon.  Have begun reading Ellin Hilderbrand's "just out" novel - "Golden Girl".  Didn't think I'd like a story of a woman who goes to heaven and is given a chance to see what's happening with those she left behind - but it's starting out better than I expected.

Marilyne

Mary Page -  First of all, I want to tell you that I love your new photo!  You're looking good, and your hairstyle is lovely.   Wish I could get that look, but I think it requires hair that has some body to it, which mine does not!

I have aways had favorite British shows on PBS over the years - both comedies and dramas.  "Upstairs - Downstairs", is most memorable!  The old reruns are no longer available on  PBS, BBC or any other channel.  It's a pity, because it would be great fun to watch them again.   Of the newer British TV series shows, of recent years,  my favorites would be,  "The Crown", and "Downton Abbey".    Both well worth watching again, which I plan to do when I run out of other shows.

Others that I really enjoy are,  the Ricky Gervais drama/comedy, "After Life".  It is not what you would expect or are used to seeing from  stand up comedian Ricky G.  This is a little gem, where he plays an older man who wife has died, and he's trying to adjust to his new life without her.  Lots of great, quirky British character actors in this one. 

Another one that we enjoyed, and learned a lot, is a documentary on Netflix, called,  "World War II in Color".   I think there are six or eight episodes in this show, and very worthwhile.   One that you wish younger people would watch, so they would understand WWII better.   This describes it from the beginning, in the 1930's, and how Hitler's Third Reich swept across Europe, occupying country after country!   They were stopped short when they tried to take England! 

A great series that we just finished watching is,  "Peaky Blinders".   It's fiction, but based on life in England, after the First World War.  There's a lot of violence in this show, but I chose to watch it anyway.  Usually I will not watch a show or movie that's filled with violence, but this show is worth it!   The main character, "Tom Shelby", is played by a wonderful Irish actor, Cillian Murphy.   The main female character,  is played by Helen McCrory, a British actress, who died of cancer, in April of this year at age 52.  She was a great actress, who played in many shows and movies over the years. 

As with all movies, TV shows, series, etc., from the UK, you must be sure your closed captions are turned on!   I have a hard time understanding the British accent and various dialects,  unless I can follow along with CC.

MarsGal

Callie, I watched some of the boats go upriver to the lake. They start the race out of sight, around the bend. One boat got snagged in something when I watched and the Canadian Fire/River Rescue had to pull them loose. There was a police boat there too. I wonder what they snagged on, the sunken ship maybe?

This year the boats are staying close to the Michigan shore and not splitting into two routes. It seems the Canadians still are not allowing pleasure boats to cross into Canadian waters because of COVID-19. Seems odd since I see plenty of traffic going back and forth on the Blue Water Bridge. I just checked MarineTraffic.com and see that the whole gaggle is currently spread out between Sinilac and Forestville MI. USCGC Hollyhock is behind them a ways. Seems a good precaution since they were calling for some stormy weather on the Lake this morning.

patricia19

Callie, I may be wrong but didn't she play Gillian?

Upstairs Downstairs is on Youtube as are many British series.

Unforgotten and Vera are both on ITA-Youtube.

MaryPage

Yes, Patricia is correct: Nicola Walker played Derek Jacoby's daughter in Last Tango in Halifax.

Thank you, Marilyne, but my hair was looking so great because my hairdresser had literally just done it.  She took the picture.  I have extremely, really EXTREMELY thin hair with no body.  Meg is probably the world's best hairdresser, but it does not last beyond the first day.  It looks, cut wise, pretty good for weeks, though.

I don't need the cell phone for emergencies because I do not go anywhere alone, and all of my children have cell phones.  I expect a generation to come along being born with them attached to one of their hands.  Soon.

Callie, two of my granddaughters live in Oklahoma City.  Well, one in Yukon now, but I am told it is all the same.  One of them has a place on a lake they go to often for weekends, but I forget which one or what the name of the lake is.  I'll ask.  If I remember.  First, I have to try to remember the two items I thought about putting on my grocery list while I was brushing my teeth.  I was sure I'd remember, but by the time I finished and got in here to add them, my mind was blank on the subject.  Oh well: I'll think about them again eventually.  Just have to be patient with myself!

Tomereader1

Sorry, Callie.  It wasn't me watching the boat races. I haven't gotten back into the swing of watching the Big Boats come in to Duluth Harbor, et al.
I was watching episodes on my BritBox trial membership.  I know I'm going to really sign up when the 7 days is up!!

Tomereader1

Yes, MaryPage, both you and your hair look wonderful.  Wish I had a stylist that would come to my home and do my haircuts.  (I'm due for one right now, and am just putting it off...even though I am vaccinated fully, with this new delta strain of the Covid, I'm getting kind of leery about being someplace where folks are not wearing masks, and you have to remove yours during the haircutting process).

CallieOK

Tome, Oops, sorry.  Should have checked before I typed.  It was MarsGal who was watching the boats.

MaryPage,  #1 son and family live in Yukon - well, except the two Grands who now live out-of-state.  They have a Yukon address, Oklahoma City utilities/police/fire and are in the Mustang school district.  I have no idea where one begins and the others end - but I do know how to get to their house.  ;D

You've probably heard the story about the gal impressed her very religious friend by saying she frequently thought about the "Hereafter: - until she said it was when she walked into a room and thought "What am I here after?"

I was thinking that Nicola Walker was Gillian.  I really liked all the actors in that series.  Wish it had lasted longer. 

MaryPage

Oh, I love that, Callie!

Granddaughter Kim lives on Clementine Road in Yukon.

CallieOK

MaryPage, they might shop at the same Walmart.  ;)

RAMMEL

I've been looking through my "backups" looking for the "YELLOW BUS" but so far no luck.  However I did find a Flash Drive with 395 SrNet pictures, looks like they are from the "Bashes". Calgary and New York I believe. (it's the flash drive marked "F" if I must be reminded.) I think Williams Port is around too.  So much stuff it's hard to keep track of it. Much has been moved from computer to computer multiple times. I found my 50th anniversary cards which is from 15 years ago - Have we been doing this that long?  :) I'll keep looking for that elusive bus.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

MaryPage

No, not that long.  Seriously, not that long. We had Senior Net's 20th anniversary event in Alexandria, Virginia October 20th 2006.  That would make Senior Net 34 years old, by my count, if it were still in business.  Better double check me, as I am not much good without a calculator.

Besides, 50 years ago would be 1970 (double check that, too), and we, the public, did not have computers and the internet as yet in 1970.  I'm pretty sure the Pentagon did, but we did not.  Looks to me as though Senior Net had some beginning of some sort in 1986.

RAMMEL

Mary Page,
I must have misled. The anniversary I mentioned was my wedding anniversary. Many nice cards from SnNet members.
Just found another Flash Drive and put it in the computer. Now to check for the lost bus.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Here's proof there was a bus.  :D  Now to find the real thing.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK