Random Image

speghetti Fe 2

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:05:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryPage

Seriously, I have found it makes all the difference in the world since I have been taking my needle person's advice and drinking lots and lots and lots of water in the 24 hours before going to have blood taken.  It is well worth the extra trips to the toilet.  Not only does it make it easy for her to draw blood for her vials, but NOT being dehydrated will make me live longer.  Honestly, it really does work.  Ask YOUR doctor!

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page...
...good advice, next time around i have a home visiting vampire i will make sure i knock back plenty of tap water...even though my MS daily bladder emptying's are many, at least i will not have too far to go to the loo..
" There is no present like the time "

PatH2

MaryPage, when you get a chance, please reassure us that the tornado missed you.  Always assuming you have power.

I have the same problem with veins, though not as bad, and was also told to drink water.

MaryPage

I gather we will not be out of danger from any number of Covid variants that may come along until such time as we get enough of a percentage of our population vaccinated to give us herd immunity.

We have had so much good luck with conquering other viruses through vaccines, having people take them without question, I find it just immensely sad these many different tales against the Covid vaccines have been bandied about and are scaring people out of getting them.  We really need, as a whole species inhabiting this planet, to be able to vanquish these dangerous viruses the only way we have found so far that works.  As long as a given virus is not beaten by not being able to find humans without antibodies in them, that virus will have the time to change into ever more deadly variants.  That puts all of us in danger, as the antibodies we have accumulated in our bodies may not work against the variants down the line if they are too different from the original virus we took a vaccine against.  We really do need to be united in this.  The lack of trust in our Public Health system makes me want to sit down and have a good cry.  Those people use their great educations to devote their lives to improving ours.  They could earn humongous salaries in the profit-making sector of our Capitalist society, yet the vaccine nay-sayers claim to mandate vaccines, or even just masks, is a Communistic attitude!  Go figure!

Thank you for asking, Pat. You probably saw the devastation from a tornado that touched down here in Annapolis this afternoon.  It was on the evening news.  That is on the other side of town from where I live.  We had some weird changing from light to dark and pouring down rain to not a drop, but no destructive winds right here.  All quiet at this time.

Sweet dreams to all.

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page..
...i so agree, when we were young our parents took us to have all manor of vaccines, small pox - diphtheria - tetanus - polio - rubella - measles - mumps - tuberculosis - whooping cough, and we are still here, and we are much more advanced nowadays..But i think it is the speed they have knocked the c-virus vaccines out that have put many off of having it, lack of trust...more fool them..

Marilyne

RAMMEL/Rick -  I'm hoping you check in here tonight, and let us know how you are doing, and if your neighborhood has been flooded?  The pictures on the news tonight were shocking to see, of the water pouring into the subways,  and what looked like rivers, flowing through the streets.  I know you live just outside of NYC, so I hope you and your family are doing okay?  You likely don't have any power to use your computer, but when you do, please update us on how you are?

Jenny -  I hope we hear from you soon, that everything is progressing well, and that you're doing okay?  It will be one week tomorrow, since you're surgery.  Doesn't seem possible!

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny.....i see that you are in same time as me, my morning 6.30am your bedtime, I hope you are now getting used to your " new " arm, the lengthy wait is over..

Denver

A good Saturday HELLO 👋

My thanks to you, MARILYN, for reaching out to me and making me realize how long since I have posted.  You will recognize my post as it is what I sent to you😘😘

It has been a stressful week.....I am doing quite good......after all the horrible pain before my surgery that I have been dealing with for months, my pain is actually less.  I had PT twice this week and it has been more of a treat, than bad.  The sling is a miserable thing and when my PT is here she takes it off and moves my arm......very mild pain for the reward of having it moved for me🥰🥰. We were able to remove the cover on my incision yesterday......my would is a good sized one, but looks very good.  I will share the picture with anyone IF you would like to see it😘
The stress part of the week is Grandson Matt was hurt in football practice Monday night.  He was practicing with the varsity and a huge senior landed on his right leg.  Long story short.....they thought he tore his ACL and MCL (?) but a MRI  on Thursday showed just a slight ACL tear with some bone issue, but he will not need surgery🙏😩. Of course he is out for the season and very disappointed.  He was first string JV and backup Varsity...... They expect him to be ready for ski season and the start of lacrosse.  This old grandma thinks...."don't do any of these dangerous things.....just take care of that precious body"!  Of course I keep my mouth shut......haha.

There are many posts that I just read, but can not remember what I wanted to comment on.  I will go back and read them all again.

MARYPAGE, I always down plenty of water before a blood draw and hardly ever have issues with that, but surgery you have to stop all liquids 8 hours before.  My issue seems they can not tell if my good veins are deep or shallow.  Hence the awful fishing routine😩😪

Take care and enjoy your holiday weekend‼️

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jeanne P...

..I received correspondence from Jeanne P...Quoting " Also i have tried to put the S and F back to the way it was working for me. Cant get it to work. Just wants to go back to 2016 on all the posting. That was the date the new system started up."

Jeanne also told me she is alright apart from no visiting, plus her loss of losing five friends she either was talking to or seeing weekly..Says like everyone, she is " so tired of the mess of these past two years."
I think we can all agree with that..
Hope she can find someone who will get her computer sorted to accept our forums current layout, so she can come back and post, i told her she is missed by many, and i would make a posting in here letting you know she is alright.....

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...be very very careful of any future falls...i am glad to read you are now on the mend...Ah yes our young, they can tear around without a thought of what might or might not happen to their body, we too lived in that young body once... :(

MaryPage

Yes, I agree.  When I was young, I felt that was going to be the case Forever!

Jackie, has Jeanne gone to the very last posting in the forums she wants to post in here and clicked on the place to put them in BOOKMARKS on her computer?  If she does that, she should be able to just bring up her bookmarks and click on each one and have each one come up for her at the last posting.  At least, that is what I do.  I don't know whether I have described it well or not.

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Page, not sure but i have copied and pasted and pm'd your post to her incase she cant get in to read our posts..
..Thank you for your help and advice.. :)

Denver

A good Sunday morning HELLO to ALL💐

We are to have a very nice day today, but we are headed into a very HOT week!  One year ago, we had a 100 degree day, followed by a drop into the 30's and a BIG snow storm 😩🤪 It broke many tree limbs.....sure hope we do not have a repeat of that🤪‼️

JACKIE, I am sad to read why Jeanne has not been able to join us.  I do hope she can find a way with your help‼️

I appreciate the kind comments regarding Matt.  I agree with the thought that at least now he can't get hurt worse🤪🤪  Before Michele passed away, Mat had to choose between tennis and football as they are played at the very same time.  Matt chose tennis.....which made Michele, and me, very happy.  Then the darn football coach seeked Matt out and the rest is history😘. He really was having a good season and was proud of himself😩

We are going to Dave's for a cookout today.  It will be so good toget out and to see the family again🥰🥰. It was a week today that I came home from the hospital and it feels more like a month🤪😆

I wish you ALL a wonderful day.

Jenny

🦋 Jenny

Marilyne

Jackie -  Thanks for helping JeanneP.  I hope she figures it out because I think she would like to start posting in S&F again.   She has been a member since the beginning, and I believe  she also goes back toSenior Net?    She lives alone, and far from family, so she probably misses us!   

Jenny -  Sounds like something for you and Bob to look forward to today . . .  going to see Dave and the kids, and enjoying a cookout!  It's been a hot week here, as well.  The dry hot weather, along with the smoke from the wildfires, makes for breathing problems, itchy eyes and sneezing.   We still have two months to go before we can hope for some rainfall.   I sent you a message about Matthew's football accident.

Hope we hear from all of our regular posters, before long.  Maybe they're all busy enjoying the long Labor Day weekend? 

Vanilla-Jackie

We ( UK ) have Indian Summer today and tomorrow..temps will shoot up and sunshine..

Jeanne P also mentioned, quoting: " Hope I get back into S and F but way Technology like my Ipad and Desktop. Both need lot work doing on them. No Techs to be had. "

Bless her seems she is having problems both ends, her computers and our forum layout..

Denver

Good day.....ALL.

The holiday weekend is over......it did not seem like a "holiday" to me......and sadly, not many of them do anymore😩😪

JACKIE, I do hope Jeanne can join in once again.  I know how lost and sad
I would be if I did not have this special group to interface with😘

MARILYN, it was so good to get out of the house and see the family.  The kiddos are all doing so well......very involved in their particular own lives.....we have sort of moved on to the phase of not being the most important thing in their lives anymore 😪😩😆. I say this kiddingly, but it is a fact....Seems we all go through these phases. Dave and Bob were out back chatting away......pups running all over.....eventually food being grilled.  I am-in the family room, feeling ALL ALONE..... I can not get around well, so going out back is very difficult 😞  It was just a bit too hot to just be sitting out there or I sure would have been. Just a bit of my own little pity party😘.

When I first came in and saw so few posts, a song came across my mind......
Ain't it Funny How Time Slips Away".  Right now, I am REALLY feeling just this!  Life passes so very quickly.  Some memories are so embedded in my mind.....just like it were yesterday, and yet some times just seem SO FAR AWAY.

Enjoy the rest of YOUR day‼️

Jenny

🦋 Jenny

Vanilla-Jackie

Church this morning, going to be a UK very hot day..i will be going on my mobility scooter, a bumpety bump short distance pavement ride and so many cars half parked on road half pavements to manoeuvre...

MaryPage

Oh Jenny, I relate to all you have expressed of how you feel.  Basically, you are, as am I, in mourning for the girl you once were and the freedom of movement you once gave no thought to.  The little girl practicing her somersaults and other gymnastics in her backyard or the ballet movements her little class is to exhibit in a recital feels she is showing her grandmother, who is propped up in an easy chair with lots of little pillows, something wonderful she has never seen before.  She has no idea her grandmother was once just as nimble.

Time passes.  We each inhabit a segment of it which is, actually, very small compared to the whole of it.  Eventually they say, this universe will contract back to the dense pinpoint it once was prior to the Big Bang, and all that we were, that we ALL were, will be an infinitesimally small portion of that pinpoint. What it is all about is the great mystery our minds simply cannot encompass, but being a grandmother is the greatest role we have ever played.  The children will remember us more than we believe now.  They will remember and will know how to be grandparents when Time makes it so.

A perfect day here on the bay.  We are to have some rain later, and that's alright, too.  Life is good.  Take care.

MarsGal

Gosh, nobody around? Well, there isn't much to report anyway.

I am just trying to get some things scheduled and done before fall sets in. My free replacement/upgrade TV box is due to arrive today. Once I have that installed I will be able to stream more channels, one or two of which I am thinking of adding to my bill. Still waiting on my doors to arrive and be replaced. I am happy to announce that I have my locksets and deadbolts here, just setting there looking pretty in their boxes. I've got some annual things to take care of/schedule for this and next month, including Oscar's annual check-up and Lucy's six month blood work check. Dentist and Eye check-ups are also upcoming. Lots to keep me busy for a while. 

Marilyne, I got to see a super-yacht (Cayman Island registry) having trouble with its tender leaking water. The whole episode lasted almost two hours as the captain circled around just inside and outside the bay at speed to keep the tender afloat until they could get the thing bailed. They were finally able to do that before the Coast Guard and a tug actually arrived. Once the tender was no longer leaking water they were able to slow down and enter the bay.  Yesterday I watched a military cargo ship leave its dock to go get fueled up and later, a troop transport leave. Most interesting few days on the bay.

MaryPage

Granddaughter Melissa has just sent me a Grandparents Day present.  It arrived from Amazon late this afternoon, but since I have a proclivity for cutting digits off of my hands these days, Chip now opens all of my packages for me.  Then he got very busy and was emailing back and forth with family.  Now I have something called a SKYLIGHT.  It is a picture frame that looks like a small, flat TV, and it can hold an infinite number of photographs.  Melissa has sent many of her entire family, and then they started coming in from Judith and Jenny, who I note has newly red hair.  There is a picture of Jenny working at the radio station and one of Young Sam's new college dorm room.  Oh, I'm having a blast.  I've never heard of these, but then I don't go shopping any more.  Do you know about them?  Does anyone have one?  Is there any advice you can give me?  I am like an excited little kid at this point.

Good night & Sweet Dreams.

Vanilla-Jackie

Soon being car collected for my couple of hours church hall cup of tea-prayer-games-knitting-chat..it gets me out from being at home talking to myself non stop and crying..my loneliness and MS illness..Oh and i also have our church community nurse coming to my home for an hour as soon as i get indoors, kettle will be on for a cup of tea...

MarsGal

I had another "fun" day yesterday. My new TV box came in and I got it hooked up. The problem is that when I migrated from the old remote to the new one, not everything migrated. I had to use the old remote to turn the TV and sound bar off and on. I tried the suggestions and none of them worked, so I decided to remove the sound bar. That made things worse. Now I don't have sound. And here I thought that in removing the sound bar, the device would revert to the TV sound. Apparently not so. So now I don't have sound. I can't even reconnect the sound box. It was very difficult to disconnect the wire from the box and when I did I heard a snap. It appears that the tech who installed it years back jammed the connector wire in both the sound bar and at the TV. I had a dickens of a time pulling the thing out of both, and now can't get them back in. I have since found directions on Comcast to do a manufacturers reset so I can try again. If doesn't work I will have to call a tech in or buy a whole new TV which I don't want to do right now. Fortunately, the sound bar works with my 25 CD disc changer, so that is not a total loss. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to reconnect it to the TV again.

BTW, it is now officially very difficult to get a hold of a real CSR on Comcast. When I did, the line dropped when I was speaking to her. I didn't call back - yet.

My sister's husband is in hospital as I type to get a heart catheter and possibly a stent. He has a heart valve problem. Sue is pretty nervous about the procedure(s) because Jim is now 85. 

Vanilla-Jackie

Interesting and quite different church hall morning as we had ourselves three female church friends come visit us from a London church, they wanted to see how we operate our " renew " meet-up as they are planning on starting up one in their own church, such lovely people, 2 of the 3 came sat with me separately, and we talked of their church, their callings, and i asked them what made them pick our church particularly travelling from West London to Hertfordshire..

I will be doing my first ( at this church ) bible reading in 3 weeks time...something i have been pestering them for me to do..wink wink..

Told them the one i done back in Dorset was in front of a 3 quarters full church and in front of the visiting lady Bishop...Acts 2: 1 - 21.....Parthians - Medes - Elamites - Mesopotamia - Coppodocia - Phrygia - Pamphilia - Cyrene, the one nobody else wanted to do..and i loved every second of it..

Marilyne

Mary Page - I just looked up the Skylight on Google, and I must say that I'm very impressed!   The very latest innovative tech device.  It's going to be such fun  for you to receive photos from your family, delivered straight to your Skylight!   I'm guessing that our techie son and dil, will have one soon, if not already, so I hope to see one before long.

Marsgal -  Hope you get your TV set up soon, with the remote in good working order.   I would be lost without my daily dose of television, and look forward to certain shows every evening.  I don't watch much during the day, unless there is an important breaking news story happening. (Which is just about every day, in recent months!).  I also have Comcast, and have heard that it is almost impossible to talk to a helper (a CSR?) on the phone.  They used to "walk you through" your problem, step by step, until all was well.   I have heard it is near impossible to find people to hire and train to do that job.   Good pay, but no one wants to work anymore, it seems. 
I hope that your brother-in-law, Jim, does well with his heart valve surgery.   I know many who have had a successful outcome.

Jackie -  Looks like you're becoming more involved in your church, and that there are many activities for you to participate in,  if you wish.  you mentioned the three members visiting from London, which makes me wonder how far London is from where you live?

MaryPage

The photos are already pouring in, Marilyne, and Chip tells me there is no limit to what the frame can handle.

It turns out that Melissa got in touch with Chip and he was expecting the box to arrive.  He opened it and set it all up and got in immediate touch with each of the granddaughters and the photos began flowing in right away.  I sit down in front of the frame, which Chip hung on a wall for me, and just drink them all in.  Never thought I'd live to see anything so amazingly clever.  Some years ago, oh, I think maybe about 13, son Chris gave me a larger, thicker frame than this.  It held a lot of photos of his family, and, like this Skylight, the photos moved.  But it only held what had been put on it; I do not recall having the ability to add.  Nor did they have access to it.  It finally broke, and that was that.  Bottom line, it was a set collection of photos in one frame, and when you turned it on, the photos flipped from one to the next in a circuit.  It was an interesting futuristic exhibit amongst all of my hundreds of framed family photos, but it did not come close to this Skylight. I wound up glad to get rid of that old one, but this is perfection.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne.. in hindsight not too far, 20 - 25 miles..West London...Now here comes our rain..yet still looks bright out there..

MaryPage

MarsGal, meant to tell you I am totally impressed with how savvy you are about things technical.  I have Comcast, as well, and they are inaccessible.  No two ways about that!  I would not have a working anything around this apartment were it not for Chip.

MarsGal

Morning all!

Yes! I did get the remote and TV coordinated. Yesterday I called the local Xfinity store and got a live person right away. He passed me over to a live tech, who determined that the problem was not their equipment (as I suspected) but something having to do with Sony. He passed me over to a Sony tech who was able to get into my Sony settings (and could see what I was seeing on the screenm even) and guided me to the setting I needed to change with the Sony TV remote (not Xfinity's). I had suspected that it was a programing thing in the TV itself. It took no more than 20 minutes even with just chatting a little. Great guy, knew exactly what was going on right away. So, lesson learned. Don't call the numbers (if you actually find one) on the Xfinity website, call your local store, if you have one.

If I feel like it after I return the old TV Box to the store, I might just stop in at Wegman's. It is close by the Xfinity Store, and I have not stepped foot in the store for around two years. They have a great deli, not only of lunch meats and cheeses, but of fresh made entrees and subs as well as some lovely pastries and breads. Or, I could stop in at Best Buy to look at new sound bars. The TV sounds so flat without it. That is okay for news, but the TV sound really doesn't cut it for cinematic soundtracks and music. The sound bar may have to wait though. This is the time of year where I have to take care of a bunch of annual expenses, including annual cat exams, membership and insurance renewals, etc.

My BIL is back home after a whole bunch of tests yesterday. They found no blockages to deal with, so they only need to schedule a "non-invasive" heart valve replacement procedure. That also, so I am told, does not involve a hospital stay unless there are complications.

Jackie, your church group sounds like a really nice bunch of people.

Vanilla-Jackie

MarsGal...yes they are, i feel blessed to have found it, or did it find me...

...Yay, you managed to get a " live person " on the other end of the phone, such a rarity nowadays..

Marilyne

MarsGal . . . like Mary Page,  I'm also impressed with your tech abilities, and how you have the patience to persevere, until you get everything the way you want it.  When something technical goes wrong or needs a set-up here, I have AJ, to take care of it.  If he couldn't figure it out,  we would have to wait for  son or grandson to be available, so would likely have to schedule an expensive home visit from a tech worker.  I don't know if Comcast will send out a troubleshooter, as they used to do in the past, but I doubt it?   
Good to see that Jim, did not have a heart blockage, so will only need the valve replacement!   :thumbup:

Mary Page . . .  I saw the message you posted in another discussion, about your husband performing the Heimlich maneuver, and probably saving your life! Something we all should know how to do.  I've also developed swallowing issues, in the past year or so, and have had a couple of prolonged choking fits that have been frightening.  I need to learn how to do the H maneuver on myself.  AJ isn't always here, and no neighbors who are at all close.

I'd better get going.  Still sitting here in my robe, at 8:30!  We're expecting company this weekend - daughter and granddaughter - so I need to get organized and do some basic housecleaning before they get here.